any help with bf3 pc controls

#1 Posted by spartanlolz92 (511 posts) -

yeah id just like to know some good suggestions for key bindings like prone and crouch. what works best. Im new to the pc i love battlefield but up until now ive never had a good gaming pc.

im great with any game controller except mouse and keyboard. and i know you can plug in a gamepad except the problem with that is that i do know my aims off because theirs no aim assist. its just the prone and crouch buttons feel so awkward in the default setup and i would like to know if theres anything that would work better??

#2 Edited by evilrazer (480 posts) -

I changed default "Switch the fire mode" button from V to C, just because V is a button I use for Mumble. But all the other controls are pretty much standard for a modern PC shooter. I think that Z to prone seems a little weird, but that's how it was back in BF2. I use my thumb to press it.

#3 Posted by Commisar123 (1790 posts) -

I liked binding crouch to f and prone to q

#4 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@spartanlolz92:

Crouch toggle and Prone take some getting used to, but that's just what I'm intent on doing.

The essential crux of PC gaming are hotkeys. Getting comfortable with using them. By playing WoW my library of convenient hotkeys (via mutators) has expanded to somewhere between 30-40 over the years. It will not take you too long to master Q, V, T, X and Y and 1-6 or whatever.

Muscle memory.

#5 Posted by Extreme_Popcorn (842 posts) -

Prone to LControl, toggle crouch to C

#6 Posted by Flaime (525 posts) -

Prone to Control, crouch to Shift.

#7 Posted by mnzy (2911 posts) -

Crouching on Shift (no toggle) is the best for me. Prone on Ctrl.

#8 Posted by Extreme_Popcorn (842 posts) -

@Flaime: ...but how do you run?

#9 Posted by GS_Dan (1401 posts) -

I never noticed how horrible the Z key is to find mid-game. I'm sure I used to be fine with it.

#10 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

1- Knife, 2- Pistol, 3- Primary, 4- meds/ammo/rpg 5-defibs/repair tool/other
 toggle crouch- left ctrl, prone- Z, change firing mode- X, commo rose- Q, grenade- mouse wheel, reload- R, pick up kit from the gound- G, knife slash- F, map- M, map zoom- N

The whole leftcontrol-Shift-Z-X-C-leftAlt area will need some getting used to, but you'll get there

#11 Posted by Akrid (1356 posts) -

I ended up just moving them over one, so prone = x and crouch = c. I also changed the primary weapon to 2 like it was in BC2.

#12 Posted by Flaime (525 posts) -

@Extreme_Popcorn: Either ALT or a mouse button

#13 Posted by MikkaQ (10264 posts) -

Moved prone and crouch over one to C and X, felt more natural.

#14 Edited by Franstone (1086 posts) -

Crouch = Shift

Sprint = Ctrl

Prone = Z

Once we can bind keys to the mouse I'll prob map knife to the middle mouse button, for now it's the deafault (F).

Grenades will most likely be mapped to the thumb button on mouse. (Might go with binding T to thumb for tacital light/laser, not sure yet, gotta wait till we can map everything and try it out)

I use the Logitech G13 gamepad so the rest wouldn't make any sense.

#15 Posted by Extreme_Popcorn (842 posts) -

@XII_Sniper: Madness!

#16 Posted by Zatoichi_Sanjuro (945 posts) -

@Extreme_Popcorn said:

Prone to LControl, toggle crouch to C

^ This.

#17 Posted by AustinKerr (1 posts) -

Personaly I'm about to try this: For me crouch and prone are highly important for evading fire, and it's more difficult to bring your fingers down rather than press a key above WASD. So what i do is I bind keys based off importance. Most important keys lye close to WASD and other's that are further apart such as spot, and interact are maybe 2 keys away from WASD cause you're not going to use them as frequently. So what I'm about to try is to bind Crouch=E bind Prone=R bond Interact=F bind Reload=Scroll down on mouse wheel bind Knife=Scroll up on mouse wheel and maybe bind Grenade throw to mouse wheel click, I'm not really sure about grenade throw yet. Hope I helped!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.