Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Anyone else kinda annoyed by the poorly done profanity?

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By OldManLight

Not that i'm so sheltered that a little bit of profanity bugs me but this is just cursing done poorly.

From what i can see, there's no way to turn it off except for the volume.

Reminds me of high school when the foreign exchange students came in and all the american kids taught them american curse words.

bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By bwmcmaste

@OldManLight:

It could be much worse:

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By ShadowConqueror

Dicktits.

MaddProdigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By MaddProdigy

@bwmcmaste: Are you implying that the hilarity that is the Bulletstorm dialogue is anything less than genius?

As for BF 3, the campaign is a joke anyway.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By natetodamax

I think the dialogue in the multiplayer in general is pretty atrocious. The cursing is pretty stupid as well. "I'm getting my shit pushed in!" is probably the worst line I've ever heard in a game in quite a long time.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By MikkaQ

Swedes swear too much when they speak English if the GB mumble server is any indicator.

bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bwmcmaste

@natetodamax said:

I think the dialogue in the multiplayer in general is pretty atrocious. The cursing is pretty stupid as well. "I'm getting my shit pushed in!" is probably the worst line I've ever heard in a game in quite a long time.

There is precedent for the above as well:

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jack268
    @natetodamax: I think it sounds a lot more natural than the language in certain other military shooters that is obviously read from a script.
    metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By metalmoog

Nah the frequent Motherfuckers! dropped by Battlefield games is definitely one of the series highlights for me. Makes it feel more real because I know soldiers aren't using a profanity filter while on duty!

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I don't mind it usually, but I was having a heated firefight with some sod on an section of the highway in Caspian Border, he took cover and threw a grenade and his character yelled: HERE'S A GRENADE FOR YOU YOU MOTHERFUCKERRRRRRRRR

I was barely able to dodge it and gun him down because I was laughing so hard at how bad the dialogue was (performed).

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By tim_the_corsair
    @TaliciaDragonsong
    I don't mind it usually, but I was having a heated firefight with some sod on an section of the highway in Caspian Border, he took cover and threw a grenade and his character yelled: HERE'S A GRENADE FOR YOU YOU MOTHERFUCKERRRRRRRRR

I was barely able to dodge it and gun him down because I was laughing so hard at how bad the dialogue was (performed).
    if I didn't already own the game, you just sold me a copy.
    withateethuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By withateethuh

@MetalMoog said:

Nah the frequent Motherfuckers! dropped by Battlefield games is definitely one of the series highlights for me. Makes it feel more real because I know soldiers aren't using a profanity filter while on duty!

This. I've seen videos of soldiers in the middle of combat operations, and yes, they cuss they much. I'd be saying fuck a lot if I was being shot at.

I'm still waiting for an actual serviceman to share their experience.

Mahonay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Mahonay

It's a little much but to me it's hilarious because of how ridiculous it really is. I think it just adds to the overall silliness that seeps into the BF3 online play which is what I'm there for.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By big_jon

I prefer it in BadCompany 2 by far.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#15  Edited By Giantstalker

Contrary to popular belief, 30 year old voice actors with perfect voices aren't the kind of people who fight our wars nowadays

@withateethuh said:

I'm still waiting for an actual serviceman to share their experience.

I'm Canadian but to me, most of the Americans I heard on radio nets overseas indeed sounded a lot like the VA's in this game, usually a lot less creative obviously

Though there were more people with southern accents (or whatever you call it) and african-americans though, diversity is poor in BC3

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By huntad

Nope. Seems to fit the tone of the game fine.

amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By amomjc

Swearing in Military games rarely moves me the wrong way, I usually see it as something that would actually happen when your life is on the line like that.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By OldManLight

i'm referring mainly to the russian dialogue of them cursing in english and the general game status messages like when the other team has all 3 flags really, you couldn't just say "the enemy has all 3 flags" you have to say "holy fuck, the enemy has all three of the fucking flags. fuck you guys, we gotta get our fucking shit together in our asses that are in gear." so unnatural. Go ahead with the "that's racist" comments if you must.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Karl_Boss

Profanity is poorly done in real life dude.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By mike

If they were going for military realism, BF3 doesn't have nearly enough profanity to even come close to how it actually is.

noremnants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By noremnants

Soldiers swear. If you don't like it don't play war games.

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Robo

I don't mind it.

For one thing, from every soldier I've known, that's pretty much the way they talk, if not toned down a bit avoiding things like racist remarks.

Filters you may have in everyday life tend to fade a bit during even mildly intense situations. I imagine - and judging from stories of family in the military - they pretty much disappear during battle, and shit can easily devolve into streams of obscenities and barely intelligible yelling.

I also don't mind that they aren't particularly "good" at cursing, because I've met more than a few people that just kind of aren't. The girl I know from Toledo, Ohio isn't half the well-seasoned vulgar wordsmith that was my old roommate from New York.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Robo said:

I don't mind it.

For one thing, from every soldier I've known, that's pretty much the way they talk, if not toned down a bit avoiding things like racist remarks.

Yeah.

I will say though, one thing funny about the combat cursing in this game: When I'm a medic, I always yell like I'm trying to murder the dude when I use my defibs. I'll go up to a dead guy to revive him and I scream "EAT THIS YOU MOTHERFUCKER" "DIE YOU MOTHERFUCKER" or something like that. It always makes me laugh.

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Robo

@xobballox: I tend to yell things like "Does this look like a goddamned Motel 6? Get back on your fucking feet!" "Don't you fucking die on me!" or "Get back in the fucking fight, pussy!"

Can't help it. There's just something about reviving folks in the middle of a firefight that brings out the very best in all of us.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Robo said:

@xobballox: I tend to yell things like "Does this look like a goddamned Motel 6? Get back on your fucking feet!" "Don't you fucking die on me!" or "Get back in the fucking fight, pussy!"

Can't help it. There's just something about reviving folks in the middle of a firefight that brings out the very best in all of us.

I don't actually scream that, it's my character :P It's like the game thinks I'm always trying to shock an enemy to death even when I revive someone.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Vodun

Profanity is the easiest accessible linguistic expression for us it seems. It's what jumps up when you get shocked, and I've read that people who've lost their speech due to stroke often get their cussing back first.

I would imagine being in a combat situation isn't exactly calming, so pouring out all kinds of weird words seems all right to me.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By JasonR86

@OldManLight:

Give an example of the poor use of profanity. I ask because I'm having a hard time conceptualizing what would make for good versus bad use of profanity.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
    deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@natetodamax said:

"I'm getting my shit pushed in!"

Sounds kinky.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
    deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@OldManLight said:

i'm referring mainly to the russian dialogue of them cursing in english and the general game status messages like when the other team has all 3 flags really, you couldn't just say "the enemy has all 3 flags" you have to say "holy fuck, the enemy has all three of the fucking flags. fuck you guys, we gotta get our fucking shit together in our asses that are in gear." so unnatural. Go ahead with the "that's racist" comments if you must.

Where's the racism?

DuderMcBrohan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DuderMcBrohan

In BC2 I played on war tapes because it has funny lines. There's one that's like "Once this is over, can we get ice cream?" The swearing hasn't seemed like a huge issue to me. It makes the game funnier, and I'm all for that.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clearly you have no idea how soldiers actually talk in the field.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By billyhoush

The profanity in Farsi (Persian) was done really well in the campaign. It blew me away how authentic it was. Hearing enemies yell "I'll rape you, lazy American" in your mother tongue is definitely worth $60. I only wish the PLR were playable in multiplayer.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By Wuddel

I am playing the german translated version - since Origin games stupidly are language specific - much unlike Steam. The translation toned it down a bit. German is quite wordy. There is still a good bit of it.

What is most annoying thing is that they will curse first, and then mention e.g. a grenade. No one would do this in real life.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ghost_cat

It's fine and adds color to the overall experience. It's also pretty funny sometimes when the action gets silly.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.