Anyone else loving the Brink influence going on here?

#1 Edited by UnrealDP (1223 posts) -

Maybe it's just me, but anyone else seeing the resemblance? Sure you're not running on walls or anything of the sort, but one thing Brink did well was its fluent movement. For instance, in brink if you're sprinting and you jump the split second before you collide with cover you vault it with one hand and keep your momentum going, in Battlefield 3 the cover jumping has the exact same timing and it feels really good. In most FPSs you lose all momentum when jumping cover and you come to a complete stop.

Any other games you guys think should copy Brinks sense of movement?

EDIT: Well, yeah it is Mirrors edge influence, but Brink is a multiplayer focused, class based, FPS which is exactly what Battlefield is, so i compared those two instead.

#2 Posted by matthias2437 (985 posts) -

I think it is a more of a Mirrors edge influence..... since you know they made mirrors edge and this game was being made before Brink was out. Also Brink was shit.

But I do know what you mean though, I love the new movements system. Vaulting over stuff and just general movement feels really good.

#3 Posted by UnrealDP (1223 posts) -

@matthias2437:

Well, Brink's a multiplayer focused, class based, FPS like Battlefield, so i drew that comparison, but yeah Mirrors edge influence too.

#4 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

You're thinking more about Mirror's Edge.

#5 Posted by niamahai (1405 posts) -

ya mean BF3 was influenced by Brink's suckage!? 

seeing how Jeff reacted in the QL makes me wonder whether the selling point for BF3 is the SP.

#6 Posted by MrMazz (1026 posts) -

No its Mirrors Edge

#7 Posted by TheHT (11554 posts) -

Is that the only thing you see as an influence? Because being multiplayer focused, class based, and an FPS was central to Battlefield before Brink.

#8 Posted by Drazat (170 posts) -

It did feel very mirrors edge to me when i was jumping over objects and going prone.But i can why brink came to mind.

#9 Posted by RE_Player1 (7566 posts) -

Jumping over walls feels very Mirror's Edge.

#10 Posted by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

Wow! Being able to vault over low walls seeing the same animation and motion blur effect is so innovative! It's like they put parkour in a FPS! Just like Brink! Oh wait...No! It's like Mirrors Edge because Brink was shit!

#11 Posted by Sackmanjones (4752 posts) -

Mirrors ed...... aww everyone beat me

#12 Posted by Zippedbinders (1021 posts) -

Goddammit, I just want another Mirror's Edge.

#13 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -

@UnrealDP said:

@matthias2437:

Well, Brink's a multiplayer focused, class based, FPS like Battlefield, so i drew that comparison, but yeah Mirrors edge influence too.

No, It's Mirror's Edge because they made Mirror's Edge.

#14 Posted by Ping5000 (385 posts) -

[A post that mentions Mirror's Edge.]

#15 Posted by Doctorchimp (4078 posts) -

*Insert post belittling you for suggesting that EA took an idea from that terrible boring game*

#16 Posted by UnrealDP (1223 posts) -

Yikes, okay Mirrors edge then......

#17 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5841 posts) -

It's not Mirror's Edge

#18 Posted by DeF (4927 posts) -
@UnrealDP said:

Yikes, okay Mirrors edge then......

now we can finally agree with you :D
#19 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

lol

#20 Posted by UnrealDP (1223 posts) -

Man, i just thought Brink was just a closer comparison, but eeek i was not expecting that.

#21 Posted by aceofspudz (938 posts) -

No one expects the nerdish inquisition!

#22 Posted by Spoonman671 (4711 posts) -

It still needs Far Cry 2's slide move.

#23 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@UnrealDP said:

Man, i just thought Brink was just a closer comparison, but eeek i was not expecting that.

How? DICE made Mirror's Edge. Battlefield 3 and Mirror's Edge are both DICE games. There is no closer basis for comparison that one could draw.

#24 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Mirror's Edge was pretty awesome.

#25 Posted by Benny (1953 posts) -

I think they mention this in the quick look, but the team at DICE took various bits and pieces from other EA games like the animation system from FIFA that connects animations like running and walking together smoothly, and it's likely they borrowed some traversal stuff from mirror's edge too.

#26 Posted by FireBurger (1479 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@UnrealDP said:

How? DICE made Mirror's Edge. Battlefield 3 and Mirror's Edge are both DICE games. There is no closer basis for comparison that one could draw.

Alright, he gets it.

OP, people are probably just flipping shit because you said "influence" and not "similarity." It implies DICE copied or borrowed the idea from Splash Damage, when, if anything, Splash Damage borrowed from DICE.

That said, I did come in here to tell you the same thing. ;)

#27 Posted by UnrealDP (1223 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@UnrealDP said:

Mirrors edge was an action game in the first person perspective with shooting every now and then while Brink was a class based, multiplayer focused, FPS that took concepts from Mirrors edge and refined them for class based gameplay, it's just an easier comparison and Brink is a newer game that also resembles Battlefield in many aspects. Is it really such a big deal? It's not like comparing it to Brink instead of Mirrors edge means anything different in fact it's a stupid thing to argue about.

#28 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

Everyone in this thread is wrong, because it's influenced by Prince of Persia and you all know it.

#29 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Probably Mirror's Edge, because its an EA/DICE game and they can use whatever transversal animation/technique from that game.

Love the fluid movement in the game.

#30 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@UnrealDP said:

@Hailinel said:

@UnrealDP said:

Brink is a newer game that also resembles Battlefield in many aspects.

Except Brink was awful...Dohohohohohoho :3

#31 Posted by Vitor (2824 posts) -

@UnrealDP said:

The ability to choose whether you accept a revive or not? Could be cribbed from Brink. There's a direct comparison there all right.

#32 Posted by wealllikepie (757 posts) -

i would actually say it felt a FUCKLOAD like the medal of honor multiplayer (makes sense since that was also DICE) but REALLY not digging it

#33 Posted by Point_Man (6 posts) -

Prey 2 is also apparently going to incorporate a fluid movement system. Looks very cool and maybe more advanced than Brinks? At least that's what it seems like from gameplay videos.

#34 Posted by kermoosh (911 posts) -

yea i love, just watching someone play makes it look that much more interesting

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.