Are you buying the June map pack "Close Quarters"?

• 72 results
#1 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
#2 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Four indoors maps with up to 16 players per map. Yes or No? [Announcement]
 Not only is it looking embarrassingly bad, but I won't be able to run these small maps on our 64-player GiantBomb server, so it's a huge NO for me. I'll wait for the real Battlefield maps in the fall. Shit.  

Layout:  

Gameplay:

hmmmm...................    
"You don’t kill CoD by trying to be CoD. You kill CoD by making a better shooter." - Alan Kertz. 
lol.
#3 Posted by emergency (1193 posts) -

June is a long time away, though it's unlikely that I will buy them.

#4 Posted by AlexW00d (6184 posts) -

All I can tell from that video is the dude playing was a terrible player.

#5 Posted by Chtasm (445 posts) -

As if the maps weren't already small...

#6 Posted by Pie (7054 posts) -

I knew you would hate that little announcement :P

Yep, of course I'll buy new content for one of my favourite multiplayer games at the moment.

I'd prefer more gulf of omans but what you gonna do

#7 Posted by xdaknightx69 (448 posts) -

no thank you!

i like my choppers and tanks! . if i wanted to play MW2.5 i would have gotten MW2.5.

#8 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1544 posts) -

No. I don't really like how DICE designs their maps now. The Wake Island and Strike at Karkand remakes are okay, but I don't agree with some of the changes they made and the way they look, they're a little too desaturated.

I also don't like that they removed TOW missile and M249 placements while adding more vehicles, makes playing Medic, a class I loved in BF2, almost as unappealing as the BC2 medic.

#9 Posted by Tumbler (161 posts) -

I hate all the maps where they focused on infantry combat. And 16 players? Jeez, why don't you just make a map pack for COD instead. The list of available maps already makes you jump between servers to stay out of the crappy maps, do you really need to add more!? (on consoles) Hopefully they will smooth out the controller issues on the pc version and I can just play on there....but then Origin....ugh....just don't want to get back into that and Battlelog BS. Sigh. Can I just have my money back DICE?

#10 Posted by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: The video is gone. In your opinion, are they all as bad as Metro?

#11 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

I thought this was a joke.

#12 Posted by xdaknightx69 (448 posts) -

might be taken down soon.

#13 Edited by zaglis (909 posts) -

What the motherfucking fuck IS THIS?

I wouldn't be surprised if in the next DLC you unlock AC-130, Predator Missile and gold Deagle.

#14 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Probably not, I haven't played BF3 since early December.

#15 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

probably not fucking hate close quarters maps.

#16 Posted by zombie2011 (4968 posts) -

Buying this day one, i enjoy the smaller maps.

#17 Posted by StrawHatLaw13 (166 posts) -

Lol this is definitely not the DLC I was waiting for to get myself to play the game again.

#18 Edited by mosdl (3228 posts) -

Smaller maps could be fun diversion.

I wouldn't mind running that on our server once in a while though, I assume smaller maps helps high pings when we do cross continent stuff.

#19 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@WilltheMagicAsian said:

No. I don't really like how DICE designs their maps now. The Wake Island and Strike at Karkand remakes are okay, but I don't agree with some of the changes they made and the way they look, they're a little too desaturated.

I also don't like that they removed TOW missile and M249 placements while adding more vehicles, makes playing Medic, a class I loved in BF2, almost as unappealing as the BC2 medic.

Followed.  

@Arker101

said:

@AhmadMetallic: The video is gone. In your opinion, are they all as bad as Metro?

That depends on how bad the chokepoints will be. But since they only support up to 16 players I doubt it'll be as hectic. New video up thanks to xdanightx69

@StrawHatLaw13

said:

Lol this is definitely not the DLC I was waiting for to get myself to play the game again.

Shame. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------- 
layout: 
#20 Posted by sopranosfan (1935 posts) -

Not for sure. I haven't played it in a month or two.

#21 Posted by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: Alright yeah, 8v8? No thanks. Also that map on the video doesn't look great, I'd hope there are bigger areas then that, but you know CQC.

#22 Posted by jakob187 (21642 posts) -

Hell no! Why the fuck would I want to be indoors on a Battlefield game? That's the dumbest shit I've ever heard!

#23 Posted by Subjugation (4718 posts) -

Lol, because I bought BF3 to play in small indoor maps ... not. One of the main things that sets this game apart is the scale. Who thought it was a good idea to take that away?

#24 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Certainly. I'll get my Battlefield 3 on again at some point.

#25 Posted by Bucketdeth (8004 posts) -

Not until they fix the input lag on PS3, 5 months and still waiting.

#26 Posted by Spoonman671 (4558 posts) -

I haven't been playing much lately, but this definitely isn't going to bring me back.  Not appealing at all.

#27 Posted by Mikemcn (6955 posts) -

I want to buy them, i really do, but I can't understand why DICE is unable to make a building big enough for 64 people.

#28 Posted by Old_Corncob (134 posts) -

I won't buy anything from DICE again until they put bot matches back into Battlefield

#29 Posted by Redbullet685 (6025 posts) -

Probably not. Even though I'm on console, I'd prefer my maps to be bigger.

#30 Posted by Joker369 (868 posts) -

Unlike a lot of people, I really like the TDM mode in BF3. I know it's not the main appeal but I think that there is still some good fun to be had with it. This will be a day one purchase for me on the PC. Also, there will also be another DLC pack called Armored Kill that will focus on more large scaled battles with vehicles.

#31 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

@Mikemcn said:

I want to buy them, i really do, but I can't understand why DICE is unable to make a building big enough for 64 people.

They did, and its called Metro. And we know how that ended being

#32 Posted by Mikemcn (6955 posts) -
@mosdl

@Mikemcn said:

Metro wasn't made for 64 people either, DICE is opposed to making maps that work only on pc, a 64 player indoor combat area could be intense, but consoles wouldn't be able to handle it, this is just more multiplatform bullshit. If they made a different map or mode on pc they'd differentiate the pc version from the console version, they don't want that.
#33 Posted by Scrumdidlyumptious (1640 posts) -

Buying maps for an FPS is a really weird and new concept for me as a PC gamer, so probably not. Especially since developer made maps are usually not that good in most games, they're just not worth paying for.

#34 Posted by billyhoush (1192 posts) -

Thanks for reminding me to trade in BF3 and MW3 for a new game. Fuck was I stupid.

#35 Posted by big_jon (5709 posts) -

Yes, but just because I play the game a lot, these are NOT the maps I wanted...

#36 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@jakob187 said:

Hell no! Why the fuck would I want to be indoors on a Battlefield game? That's the dumbest shit I've ever heard!

Shoot at those walls, chip their sides off! 

@Seppli said:

Certainly. I'll get my Battlefield 3 on again at some point.

Wait, what? You've already stopped playing the multiplayer game you were insanely excited about and followed for a good part of a year? Just like you ditched the 200+ hour Skyrim after two months? Talk about a gaming vampire! You should actually play and enjoy the games you spend your money on rather than racking them on a shelf and jumping on the anticipation train of yet another new game, my friend.  

@Mikemcn said:
@mosdl

@Mikemcn said:

Metro wasn't made for 64 people either, DICE is opposed to making maps that work only on pc, a 64 player indoor combat area could be intense, but consoles wouldn't be able to handle it, this is just more multiplatform bullshit. If they made a different map or mode on pc they'd differentiate the pc version from the console version, they don't want that.
64-player indoor map that is designed properly would be fucking amazing. Like one huge structure with all kinds of rooms and hallways... Wow, so much industry-defining potential wasted on the CoD fucking crowd. 

@Scrumdidlyumptious said:

Buying maps for an FPS is a really weird and new concept for me as a PC gamer, so probably not. Especially since developer made maps are usually not that good in most games, they're just not worth paying for.

It's been a thing for ages though, fellow PC brother!
#37 Posted by 137 (481 posts) -

@Chtasm said:

As if the maps weren't already small...

IT's going to be the largest map in the world (but limited to 16 players since the console is paying our bills) Oh battlefield how the mighty have fallen. Everything Ahmed has been saying about you guys I didn't want to believe, I wanted to keep the faith alive in the best gaming franchise in my gaming life. Assassins Creed is pumping out bullshit, Uncharted is pumping out bullshit, call of duty since 4 has been bullshit. I'm actually enjoying Mass Effect 3 unlike the rest of the elitist twats crying about the franchise ending LIKE IT SHOULD. I mean how did you fuck up dragon age 2??? Honestly??? It's like everyone has 1 great idea and then they try to change it to make it accessible. You want to feed me "you play our way or you don't play at all and we're trying to change that mentality." But then your primary fanbase who's going to keep this game going for the next 7-8 years is the one getting shorted and with no light at the end of the tunnel thanks to origin's great money making platform.

CONSOLES!!! I'm trying to enjoy playing pc games without having to install counterstrike source or 1.6 to my computer to remember what it was like to play a real simple game with talented people. Simple concept almost 14-15 years of pure enjoyment and that game keeps on ticking. Urban Assault frightens me, but I have hope with the cross platform thing. Brings back memories of Quake 3 for dreamcast and pc!!!

But seriously, making all of these silly corridor maps probably not even semi destructible (you know like stuff in bad company 2 was) It's just disappointing to see Dice stray from what made it so great, and where the fuck is the 1. whatever patch that is like 300 pages long that will bring the next batch of bugs out.

Sorry I'm ranting, going to go cry now. I seriously am one of the biggest disappointed fans in battlefield as a veteran.

#38 Posted by YoThatLimp (1880 posts) -

I chose yes, before I realized it was 8v8. What the hell? I didn't just build a sexy rig to play 8v8 on a tiny map.

#39 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

It looks like call of duty, so no, although i'm waiting for the new patch to play again.

There's already enough engineers in battlefield, now there will be 8 on 8 engineer/PDW stand offs. RPG's everywhere man.

Also, TDM is for suckers and or chumps.

#40 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -

Hells no! CQC is not why I come to BF. Voting with my wallet on this one.

#41 Posted by Jaytow (693 posts) -

I sold my 360 version of BF3 although I'll eventually pick up the PC version.

#42 Posted by Scrumdidlyumptious (1640 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Scrumdidlyumptious said:

It's been a thing for ages though, fellow PC brother!

I've been living in a Valve bubble for the past few years.

#43 Posted by Sjupp (1910 posts) -

More stuff for BF3? Why yes of course!

#44 Posted by Korolev (1700 posts) -

Only 16 players? Only indoors?

That ain't battlefield for me. Battlefield has never been very good at Close Quarters fighting. It's always been about mass assaults, using vehicles, playing support roles. We're all aware of the absolute mess that most Metro map games turn into - we don't need that here.

I play BF3 quite a bit - I have never played SQDM, and I don't want to ever play it, nor do I want to restrict myself to running around a tight, enclosed building. That's what MW3 is for and I play MW3 when I want that. I don't need that in my BF3.

#45 Posted by WickedCobra03 (2102 posts) -

No, probably not. This game is not really meant for close quarters. SQDM is alright as it is now, but adding more I feel like BF3 is just not that type of game.

Anyway, I just don't think so. If they only charge $5 for the maps, I might be on-board if the maps are good, but I really don't feel like paying $15 dollars each time (I think they announced another 3 DLC packs plus the already released Back to Karkand) which would total an amount of $45 more for me, or $60 for a person who didn't buy the game week 1. I feel like unless everything is stellar as far quality, it does not warrant me as almost "re-purchasing" the game from them by way of DLC. No thanks. Even then I only paid $30 for BF3 brand new.

#46 Posted by Talis12 (488 posts) -

ill buy it.. more for the weapons than for the maps though.. but still, it can be a nice change from the usual if you arent feeling tanks some day.. i just hope its not filled with choke points like Metro.. that map sucks balls and always results in a rocketfest.

#47 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic:

Last I checked I played it more and still play it more than you did and do. But whatever man. I guess 'not playing games' is 'enjoying' them to you. If I enjoyed it more I'd be well on my way to lvl 145, but thus far I don't. I'm a bit frustrated that there's no 'reskin' expansion like Vietnam for BF:BC 2, because all these add-ons will be way too close to BF3 to make a big difference.

I'm not a big fan of BF3 due to its emphasis on teamplay by dependency mechanics and high TTK vehicles. I also don't like the 'excellent' balancing achieved through zero skill ceiling countermeasures like lock-on weaponry. I'm not even touching on the subject of lighting and shadows, since nothing ever made me hate a game more than BF3's overblown stupid contrast. Being bold doesn't pay in BF3 since players can be everywhere and black as tar shadows and blinding light make target aquisition a nightmare. I hate that circumstance with a passion.

Guess what, 'Close Quarters' is gonna be a god-send for those who don't dig the overall balancing. I actually enjoy infantry combat the most out BF3's full suite of modern warfare combat. Many Bad Company players are alienated by BF3. So much just doesn't feel right. Like shooting 2 unguided RPGs into a full transport chopper within 5 seconds, not getting a single kill and still getting mowed down by the gatling whilst it spirals to the ground. Epic feats of skill go unrewarded way too often for me to love the game. It's everything I hated about Battlefield before Bad Company. The Bad Company games gave the individual player power. I love to play with power.

BF3 makes me feel like I'm just some dude with minor impact on the overall effort, whilst in the Bad Company games, being the key to success was common and more of a rule than otherwise. When a single player can make the difference, that's when Battlefield is at its best. Currently, that's simply not the case anymore outside of rare occurences breaking the map balance for choppers.

#48 Posted by Mikemcn (6955 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: a 64 player indoor map set in some sort of elaborate skyscraper office building with stairs, elevators, elevator shafts connecting multiple floors together would be freaking amazing.

#49 Posted by Akrid (1356 posts) -

@Seppli: If I was playing on consoles, I'd probably have similar feelings. You really can't lone wolf it in BF3. But voice chat over PC with a good group of guys makes this into the best multiplayer experience you could ever ask for. Your squad, working as one, makes the kind of difference that you had in BC2, and it's all the more amazing because you did it with friends! If you ever go to PC, I can guarantee you a good time.

Anway, this map pack intrigues me. I'd probably prefer more standard maps, but I'm interested to see what they do with these. I think that clip gives a partial look, because from what you see there there's no reason to not use a MP7 or shotgun or whatnot. There must be more to it then that - I have faith that DICE can balance it well and make it interesting.

#50 Posted by James_Giant_Peach (751 posts) -

No, the game sucks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.