Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Back to Karkand Back in December

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Branthog

Back to Karkand will be released some time in December, with Strike at Karkand, Wake Island, Gulf of Oman and Sharqi Peninsula. As well as ten weapons and three vehicles (DPV, BTR990, F-35B jet).

source: http://www.gameinformer.com/games/battlefield_3/b/xbox360/archive/2011/10/28/battlefield-3-39-back-to-karkand-39-hits-in-december.aspx

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Good news. 

No MEC or Chinese faction, just more Russians. Though they said it's an EP the size of BC2:Vietnam (which had a third faction). Oh well.. 
    Also, for those looking forward to these maps, just know that they will be nothing like the classic maps. The flag number has been reduced, the flags have been clustered together in the center of the maps (like the BF3 maps), and the safe base of the enemy is out of bounds. 
    Just a headsup for those who might have false hope :)

withateethuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By withateethuh

@AhmadMetallic: You don't know that.

Edit: In other news F-35s! Aw yeaah

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @withateethuh said:

@AhmadMetallic: You don't know that.

I love easy money, wanna bet?  
    I always make the distinction between speculation and fact when I post, and that was fact.
    withateethuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By withateethuh

Facts require sources to back them up, otherwise they are speculation.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hitchenson

@AhmadMetallic: Sounds fucking awesome. Can't wait.

I'm being deadly serious.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DonPixel

@Branthog said:

Back to Karkand will be released some time in December, with Strike at Karkand, Wake Island, Gulf of Oman and Sharqi Peninsula. As well as ten weapons and three vehicles (DPV, BTR990, F-35B jet). source: http://www.gameinformer.com/games/battlefield_3/b/xbox360/archive/2011/10/28/battlefield-3-39-back-to-karkand-39-hits-in-december.aspx

Awessome, Can't wait for that more Karkand and Wake!

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By PhatSeeJay

@AhmadMetallic said:

Also, for those looking forward to these maps, just know that they will be nothing like the classic maps. The flag number has been reduced, the flags have been clustered together in the center of the maps (like the BF3 maps), and the safe base of the enemy is out of bounds.

O'rly?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @PhatSeeJay said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

O'rly?

Are you asking as the person who enjoyed my news-filled threads for months or as the newly-appointed DICE employee? 

Because if you have counter information, I'd love for you to prove me wrong, I would pay you money for it. But as it stands, based on this post and DICE's comments about the new Conquest design philosophy, not to mention out-of-bounds safe bases not even being a server-side option in BF3, Yes, rly :)
    withateethuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By withateethuh

@AhmadMetallic said:

@withateethuh said:

I will not go through two months worth of threads on the official forums to dig out all the tweets and dev posts that made this a fact, but here's the best single post to summarize it:
    http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-3/1440234-r2k-will-not-mess-around-main-rules-maps-confirmed-6.html#post20206880

Took me a coupla minutes to find, not a biggie!
    Zh1nt0 is the community manager.

He said that they're keeping it the same. Are we reading the same words?

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By daiphyer

Edit: Nevermind.

I haven't got my copy yet, so how does this know that you pre-ordered the limited edition?

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By shiftymagician

@withateethuh said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@withateethuh said:

I will not go through two months worth of threads on the official forums to dig out all the tweets and dev posts that made this a fact, but here's the best single post to summarize it:
    http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-3/1440234-r2k-will-not-mess-around-main-rules-maps-confirmed-6.html#post20206880

Took me a coupla minutes to find, not a biggie!
    Zh1nt0 is the community manager.

He said that they're keeping it the same. Are we reading the same words?

I don't know for sure, but I will eat my non-existant hat if they somehow make the Karkand and other classic maps exactly the same as BF2 in terms of flag placement, size and how spawns were handled (albeit with a little re-tweaking just in case). I'll be a betting man that it will still be the reduced 5-flag conquest scenario, which will be a bit of a bummer though it should still be okay for people with lower expectations.

xdaknightx69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By xdaknightx69

@Daiphyer said:

So you get this free if you pre-ordered the game?

yes, if have the limited edition

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15  Edited By CenturionCajun

@Daiphyer:You get it free if you buy the Limited Edition. That's the first run of the game so as long as you buy within the next week or so you should be good.

RadixNegative2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By RadixNegative2

I am so happy that they are bringing these maps to Battlefield 3. Can't wait to see how Wake Island looks and plays.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By huntad

@AhmadMetallic said:

Good news. No MEC or Chinese faction, just more Russians. Though they said it's an EP the size of BC2:Vietnam (which had a third faction). Oh well.. Also, for those looking forward to these maps, just know that they will be nothing like the classic maps. The flag number has been reduced, the flags have been clustered together in the center of the maps (like the BF3 maps), and the safe base of the enemy is out of bounds. Just a headsup for those who might have false hope :)

I hope not, Karkland looked like shit when I last played it.

easthill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By easthill

@AhmadMetallic said:

Because if you have counter information, I'd love for you to prove me wrong, I would pay you money for it. But as it stands, based on this post and DICE's comments about the new Conquest design philosophy, not to mention out-of-bounds safe bases not even being a server-side option in BF3, Yes, rly :)

Is out-of-bounds safe bases a bad thing now? Love that base rape.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @easthill:  Whether it's good or bad is irrelevant, it was a big part of gameplay in BF2 and now it's gone from these BF2 maps, that's the info I'm sharing here. It's not even a serverside option. 

My opinion on it is that it's bad. One of the things that made Battlefield so awesome was the challenge and danger of making your way to the enemy base whenever you're around, either to jack a vehicle or to get a bunch of surprise kills. 
    Jumping out of a burning jet and getting "You're out of bounds, 10, 9" couldn't suck any harder. 

P.S. base rape was a totally legitimate gameplay result. This is conquest, we're fighting over conquering the map, and if one of the teams was victorious enough to control the entire map then they sure as hell deserve to invade the enemy in their base as a treat for their hard working keeping 8 flags under their control.
    amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By amomjc

@AhmadMetallic said:

P.S. base rape was a totally legitimate gameplay result. This is conquest, we're fighting over conquering the map, and if one of the teams was victorious enough to control the entire map then they sure as hell deserve to invade the enemy in their base as a treat for their hard working keeping 8 flags under their control.

It's about time someone agrees with me on this, I am tired of people bitching about base camping. I mean, so what, allow them to come and take a flag?

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By natetodamax

I can't wait for this to come out. Karkand was my favorite map in Battlefield 2.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#22  Edited By big_jon

I want a Challenger 2!!!!!

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By korwin

http://bf3blog.com/battlefield-3-maps/

The site isn't official however they pre-launch info on the shipping max is bang on.

Gulf of Oman is a large map with a lot of capture points. The US and Russian forces start at their respective bases and/or at some of the capture points they already control. The Russian side starts with 3 capture points, while the advancing US side starts with 4 capture points. Both teams start out with an wide selection of jets, tanks, APCs andhelicopters.

7 points on Oman with the 2 bases

From the beginning of the round, Wake Island is controlled by the Russian side, and it’s up to the US to advance and capture the island, flag by flag, to the end at the main Russian airbase.

Looks like Wake is remaining as a full cap Attack/Defend Map

Sharqi Peninsula is centered, as the name suggests, on a tightly packed peninsula with a lot of urban environment. The US forces control 5 capture points, while the Russians start from 3 main bases.

Sharqi looks pretty good to.

Avatar image for mustacheride420
    mustacheride420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mustacheride420

@amomjc said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

P.S. base rape was a totally legitimate gameplay result. This is conquest, we're fighting over conquering the map, and if one of the teams was victorious enough to control the entire map then they sure as hell deserve to invade the enemy in their base as a treat for their hard working keeping 8 flags under their control.

It's about time someone agrees with me on this, I am tired of people bitching about base camping. I mean, so what, allow them to come and take a flag?

My problem isn't so much camping base when all the flags are captured, it's the dudes who immediately make a bee-line to the enemy base and hide somewhere, killing people as they spawn and not helping their own team at all.

wh1terav3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By wh1terav3n

Does anyone know if this is basically a map pack with bonus weapons etc, or is it a Vietnam style expansion that will split the userbase? Do you choose to play BF3 OR BF3: Karkland, or are the Karkland maps just put in the server rotation?

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Sitoxity

@wh1terav3n: It's split, but the way the browser works on PC you just need to check Karkand too and you'll just get them showing up in the browser along side BF3 vanilla.

Though it'd make sense for them to be able to add them to the rotation.

Negative Ahmad is Negative. You do realize game design is getting better over the years and not worse? Some things missing from BF2 are a good thing. You're also just completely disregarding the devs saying that they aren't changing the way they play.

zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By zaglis

If the B2K turns out to be the shit,well, good. DICE saved me 60$. B2K is the reason why I'm still holding out on buying BF3, the ''Caspian Border is the largest/best conquest map'' comments are fucking scary.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By MikkaQ

Oh construction site better be a point in Sharqi, or I will RIOT IN THE STREET.

I used to just spend entire matches, nay, days running around that construction site, hurling grenades at jeeps and using the higher ground to just crush the enemy's existence. It's basically US team's last line, and i held that bitch like nothing else.

The rest I can't care at all how much they change. Especially Wake Island. That map was great fun in the 1942 days, but it has some pretty deep flaws that I come to realize every time they port it over.

Thinking about old school wake makes me miss what they've took out of battlefield. It made me realize just how toned down and insignificant they made the vehicles. In wake island you could drive the fuckin' aircraft carrier around. And they had submarines. Among other things. Remember motorcycles? Those were awesome. Now we get three tanks, couple jeeps, a jet and some helis. Lame.

@Korwin: I'm pretty sure Sharqi had 6 points and three deployments for the MEC or Russians in this case. So they took one out. Looks like it's the 32 player configuration then.

nickb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By nickb64

I kind of wish they'd bring back Mashtuur City, that was a great map IMO.

Taklulas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Taklulas

Was there a code for it like the Physical warfare pack when you preordered on Origin?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.