Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Back to Karkand Trailer - Classic Conquest

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Sitoxity

Nay-sayers, pessimists and arseholes a like can rest easy.

The trailer is up! Not only does it show some pretty snazzy gameplay and editing, it also shows that the maps are not limited to 5 control points in conquest!

It also shows some asshole on the crane, which I always remember checking for in my BF2 games.

I think I just got excited about this game all over again, and I've not even stopped playing it yet.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Arker101

Extended persistence? I guess you'll be able to bring your old weapons with you then, but maybe not new weapons back to the original maps? The Mortar seems a little much for Wake Island.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By mosdl

Big question is if we can add Karkand to the existing server and not need a separate one.

bloodfarts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By bloodfarts

Looks awesome. I really hope the support for this game is stronger than BC2. I would like this to be my go to game for the next few years. What do you think they mean by increased persistence? An increased level cap? Also will the guns be available across all the maps in the game or just the "Karkland" levels?

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Sitoxity

@Bloodfarts: I imagine the increased persistence is new levels to get the new weapons, makes sense anyway.

I really hope it acts like an old school expansion pack so you can just add them into the rotation. It's not like they'd break the game anyway.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Pezen

This will be awesome except I fail to grasp people's love for Wake Island.

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By emergency

Waiting for Ahmad to be pessimistic.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jack268

DIDNT KNOW GULF OF OMAN WAS GOING TO BE IN  

CANT WAIT

fistfulofmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#9  Edited By fistfulofmetal

They didn't pussy out with Karkand. Amazing. BOW DICE BOW

Sputty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sputty

@mosdl said:

Big question is if we can add Karkand to the existing server and not need a separate one.

Yep, hopefully the new maps will work in any server rotation without kicking people. It's hard to say, though

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Azteck

I don't understand what they mean by Enhanced Destruction. What are they enhancing, the destruction available in BF3 as we play it now? And if so, why in a DLC pack?

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By huntad

How will Wake Island work? Will they add boats? Other than that, I'm pretty excited for these maps!

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#13  Edited By zidd

They really needed to add some of the other BF2 maps instead of wake island.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mosdl

@Azteck said:

I don't understand what they mean by Enhanced Destruction. What are they enhancing, the destruction available in BF3 as we play it now? And if so, why in a DLC pack?

The maps were designed for more destruction I think - destruction comes at a cost (server bandwidth), so my guess is that these maps offer more destruction at some sort of cost (it seems the buildings are kinda bland in the trailer, not a lot of texture work)

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DonPixel

As M. Fenix would say : NICE

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mosdl

@huntad said:

How will Wake Island work? Will they add boats? Other than that, I'm pretty excited for these maps!

There are already boats and water-proof apcs on bf3 maps.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Azteck
    @mosdl said:

@Azteck said:

The maps were designed for more destruction I think - destruction comes at a cost (server bandwidth), so my guess is that these maps offer more destruction at some sort of cost (it seems the buildings are kinda bland in the trailer, not a lot of texture work)

Yeah I guess that makes sense. I guess we'll have to see just how enhanced it is, I suppose.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Seven flags on Sharqi and Oman... my penis is tingling, this is a good sign. 

@emergency said:

Find something better to do with your time, it's very sad :)
    emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By emergency

@AhmadMetallic said:

@emergency said:

Oh? Sorry, its just your mood swings are quite hilarious and also on every other previous thread relating to this expansion pack you were convinced they'd butcher these maps and continued to preach to everyone that they should not get excited about it cause they'd "confirmed" that it would be new-style conquest. LOL.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Zelyre

@Pezen said:

This will be awesome except I fail to grasp people's love for Wake Island.

When Battlefield 1942's demo came out, it took over my campus by storm. We were playing Wake Island in the main stage theater on projectors. Students were put on academic probation because of this demo's one map.

Its not an overly large map, either. Perfect for 16v16. It has a tug-of-war feeling to it because of its U shape. Ground pounders pushing the corners of the shoe while air craft and boats could sneak around to assault flanks. That, and nothing was funnier than watching someone beach a carrier.

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Sitoxity

@emergency said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@emergency said:

Oh? Sorry, its just your mood swings are quite hilarious and also on every other previous thread relating to this expansion pack you were convinced they'd butcher these maps and continued to preach to everyone that they should not get excited about it cause they'd "confirmed" that it would be new-style conquest. LOL.

Sick burn.

@Azteck: I'm curious about it as well. The amount the buildings crumble in the trailer look a LOT more than what happens in current BF3 maps, for whatever reason. It'll be interesting to see the differences.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By tekmojo

Yay enhanced destruction lol, take that with grain of salt, cant wait to see the new old maps.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#23  Edited By zidd

@AhmadMetallic said:

are they at the same points as they were in BF2 though? Thats what I'm more interested in. five flags all in a 80ft square foot cluster with acres upon acres of open nothing I am less interested in.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Zidd said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

are they at the same points as they were in BF2 though? Thats what I'm more interested in. five flags all in a 80ft square foot cluster with acres upon acres of open nothing I am less interested in.

The trailer didn't really give me a chance to see anything concerning level design and flag distance. Hopefully it's good.
    Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By Evilmetal

Flag placement in video...

B2K: Karkand map; 7 flags
    B2K: Karkand map; 7 flags
     B2K Karkand map is not the full 64 player BF2 map of Karkand... looks like the 32.  EA pushing 64 players into 32 player maps.. creating the mindless and hectic gameplay.
     B2K: Oman map?  7 flags; 4 along beach, 3 inside?
     B2K: Oman map?  7 flags; 4 along beach, 3 inside?
    FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FrankCanada97

To compare with the above post:

32 player BF2 Karkand and 64 player BF2 Oman:

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By jakob187

@mosdl said:

Better question is if you can make a STRIKE ONLY server...since it's the only thing anyone will need for the five years of Battlefield 3's existence.

Also, they have yet to show the train accident on Karkand. If there is no train accident or river for us to do Alamo standoffs, then Karkand is a massive failure for me.

Sharqi, however, looks so fucking sweet! Loved the FUCK out of that map!

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28  Edited By veektarius

@Evilmetal: What is B2K? Wasn't 2k before any of the Battlefields came out?

IllyAl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By IllyAl

THIS SHIT RIGHT HEAH !!!!! Holy christ, this being added on to all the maps already in the game now is gonna have me playing this game till 2013.

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Sitoxity

Don't know how legit this is, but there's some new info here

Apparently, there WILL be the ability to integrate the maps into server rotations and the Conquest Assault mode will come back. Also lists the new weapons and vehicles.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mosdl

@jakob187 said:

@mosdl said:

Better question is if you can make a STRIKE ONLY server...since it's the only thing anyone will need for the five years of Battlefield 3's existence.

Also, they have yet to show the train accident on Karkand. If there is no train accident or river for us to do Alamo standoffs, then Karkand is a massive failure for me.

Sharqi, however, looks so fucking sweet! Loved the FUCK out of that map!

Either you can setup any map rotation or only have karkand maps, so the answer is yes.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By mikemcn

Is this going to be like BC2:Vietnam? Or will my weapons from vanilla BF3 carry over.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Branthog

@emergency said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@emergency said:

Hello and welcome to the video game enthusiast community, which like every other enthusiast community, is skeptical and pessimistic unless given a concrete reason to feel other wise. Except when we are senselessly excited about something until otherwise proven that it's going to suck. It's what happens when we like something and hope it'll be awesome and have been burned too many times. :)

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Branthog

@Sitoxity said:

Don't know how legit this is, but there's some new info here

Apparently, there WILL be the ability to integrate the maps into server rotations and the Conquest Assault mode will come back. Also lists the new weapons and vehicles.

This has been contrary to all the rumors we've had so far, but seems absolutely vital if they want to keep BF behaving as BF. Perhaps they were smart enough not to fragment the playerbase after all . . . though since they're charging for the expansion, I wonder how it will be handled when someone joins a server with maps they haven't paid for? Just kick them, I guess? Back in the pre-DLC days, of course, the server would just say "you don't have this map, do you want to download it?".

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By emergency

@Branthog said:

@emergency said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@emergency said:

Hello and welcome to the video game enthusiast community, which like every other enthusiast community, is skeptical and pessimistic unless given a concrete reason to feel other wise. Except when we are senselessly excited about something until otherwise proven that it's going to suck. It's what happens when we like something and hope it'll be awesome and have been burned too many times. :)

Your pretty much implying everyone is a pessimistic. Which is incorrect, I was always the optimist about this expansion pack :P

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#36  Edited By PhatSeeJay

Not bad, huh? ;)

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Branthog

@emergency said:

@Branthog said:

@emergency said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@emergency said:

Your pretty much implying everyone is a pessimistic. Which is incorrect, I was always the optimist about this expansion pack :P

No, I'm implying that everyone is overly pessimistic except when they're overly optimistic. That's the life of being an enthusiast about anything. A lot of times, the unfounded optimism is proven to be unwarranted and the thing you're excited about sucks. Sometimes the thing you're jaded about turns out to be amazing and exceed anyone's greatest expectations. And sometimes things end up being exactly what you thought they were going to be. The other part of being part of an enthusiast community is disproportionate rage about things. :)

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @emergency said:

@Branthog said:

@emergency said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@emergency said:

You're really too hung up on labeling yourself to actually discuss the game and the developer's design choices and statements and whatnot.. 

You be an awesome super cool fun time optimist, we'll be enthusiastic about our games and have the doubt and negativity where those are due.
    Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Branthog

The best thing about all this is that I have been thinking "once I hit the level cap, I'm not sure how much more I'll be compelled to play". If the new maps are insertable into existing map rotations and servers, then that pretty much ensures I'll be playing this for much longer. If they release a couple new maps a couple times per year, it would be enough to keep me going indefinitely. Getting the old classics back in a shiny new way might end up being awfully damn satisfying.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Hitchenson

Aww yeah, that shit looks amazing.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By DonPixel

@jakob187 said:

This is the best argument against the so call "Battlefield 2" grandeur, Most people opted for Karkand, Sharqui and Mashtur because the Jet maps were highly unbalanced, There was unnecessary complexity and you could waste 10 mins walking to a flag just to get killed. When you have a game with 12 maps but the community just want to play ONE you know your design choices weren't the best.

I highly doubt this is going to be the case with BF3, sure there is going to be some 24/7 servers and some "community favorites" rotations But the game is balanced now so most maps are very playable and fun.

@Branthog said:

The best thing about all this is that I have been thinking "once I hit the level cap, I'm not sure how much more I'll be compelled to play". If the new maps are insertable into existing map rotations and servers, then that pretty much ensures I'll be playing this for much longer. If they release a couple new maps a couple times per year, it would be enough to keep me going indefinitely. Getting the old classics back in a shiny new way might end up being awfully damn satisfying.

145 levels I don't think I'm going to make it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.