Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Battlefield 3 FPS issues - Anyone have a good Config?

Vital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Vital

Ever since the game has gone live I've been having horrible FPS issues. I can barely pass 20 FPS on ANY of the graphics settings. I've tried switching resolutions from 1680x1050 all the way to 800x600, and its weird that my FPS gain is about 1-2... I've changed graphics settings from Ultra to Low and got a staggering 3-4 FPS increase. What is going on here? To be sure it wasn't my drivers I re-installed them twice yesterday and nothing has changed, even forcing the program to use certain settings on Nvidia control panel, nothing changes. 

Does anyone have a config so I can at least get 60 solid FPS in this game? I never had an issue until the game went live so the settings must be in there somewhere right? 

CannonGoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By CannonGoose

Post yo' system specs, guy.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AlexW00d

I assume you have a shitty CPU?

Tag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Tag

This means your cpu is holding back your gaming experience. I had a similar issue and did abit of testing to find out. I had a C2D e6600 oc to 3.4ghz with a gtx 260. When running battlefield 3 at any graphical setting, the fps would barely change, ie 20 fps at low, 20 fps at ultra. I originaly upgraded my gpu to a 560ti, but only saw maybe a 3-5fps increase. I then ran some monitoring programs in the background to see that while my cpu was getting 100% usage, my graphics card was barely going over 20%. My CPu was holding back my GPU. Now ive got a i2500k oced to 4.6ghz, my cpu across 4 cores(compared to 2) is getting between 70-90% usage and my gpu is finnaly getting to the 80-100 usage it should. Conclusion You need to upgrade your cpu

GJSmitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By GJSmitty

Same thing happens to me, but since I have an excellent graphics card, I know that it is my CPU holding it back. Which is why I'm looking to buy a new one, along with a new motherboard.

Vital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Vital

Thanks, Makes sense.. I guess I cant play BF3 until I get a new computer next semester. I currently have a C2D @ 3.2 ghz, can play any other game I throw at it except BF3.  

Quick edit --  

I just checked the minimum requirements for BF3. 

Processor: 2 GHz Dual Core (Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ or Althon X2 2.7 GHz) 
    Graphics Card (NVIDIA): DirectX 10.0 compatible with 512 MB RAM (NVIDIA GEFORCE 200) 

I definitely meet these requirements. Do people really think 20 FPS is playable?

Tag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Tag

@Vital: Vital, as i said eariler, i was in the exact same boast as you and got the same results. Playable to a publisher basicaly means will it run, and 20fps is defiently "playable", console versions are running that, but its not an enjoyable experience

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By mosdl

@Vital: BF3 is much more processor hungry than most games - all those destruction calculations. How much memory do you have btw? If you have only 2 gigs, upgrading to 4 might help a bit.

squirrelnacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By squirrelnacho

What is the exact graphics card that you have?

MortenHauge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MortenHauge

If you are using an Nvidia- or AMD-card you'll sometimes have to "whitelist" the game, forcing it to use your GPU in the instead of the motherboard.

To do this simply;

1. Right click on desktop and choose "NVIDIA ControlPanel" (I have Nvidia so I'm not sure if it's exactly the same for AMD)

2. Go to 3D Settings.

3. Program settings (Not the global ones as it will increase the power consumption greatly without really doing too much overall difference)

4. Find your game in the list or choose "Browse" to find the .exe file that runs the game.

5. Choose "Nvidia GPU with high performance"

6. Wallah! ^^

(If you do not know which .exe file you are too choose, boot the game up, press "Ctrl + Alt + Delete" and open "Tast Manager", go to the process list, find BF3 or whatever you are going to whitelist, right click and choose the first option which should say "Open filelocation" or something similar.

Hope it helped you :)

seannao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By seannao

The setting that affects framerate the *most* besides eye candy settings like ambient occlusion is "Mesh Detail", which is a shame because Mesh Detail is view distance, in effect, affecting when enemy players are drawn in on your screen before you use a scope/zoom.... If you run a MAV, you can see this very plainly even between High and Ultra "Mesh Detail".. You'll see all enemies to the horizon on Ultra, but the view distance draw-in will be severely cut down on High. You can have problems if you're running the side guns on a transpo-chopper as well since you *MUST ZOOM* to see enemies, even on High Mesh.

It also influences the amount of clutter/building detail draw in as well, having an impact on framerate. I've had to play with incredibly low framerate at times and play primarily with low settings, but wish I could reduce them even further by removing some/more of the dynamic lighting.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.