Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Battlefield 3 is 50% off on Origin!

AngeTheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AngeTheDude

At least here in the US. Just bought it and I can't wait to jump in.

salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By salad10203

As is Batman Arkham City, holy shit!

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By CheapPoison

ow holiday sales?

I already assumed that Battlefield took too much of a hit now that modern warfare is out that they lowered the price.

Pretty cool.

Liber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Liber

is it Limited edition ?

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DystopiaX

Fuck Origin. I can see they're really trying hard to get people onto the platform though.

hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By hwy_61

Had to choose between this and Forza 4 for $27. I chose Forza...something tells me BF3 will be on sale pretty regularly throughout next year.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By tekmojo

glad I paid full price! NOT

AngeTheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AngeTheDude

@salad10203 said:

As is Batman Arkham City, holy shit!

I saw that! I'm really curious to see if something similar comes up on Steam.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Barrock

The Run is only $19. Heh.

salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By salad10203

@AngeTheDude: I would be surprised if Steam came close. I have a feeling Origin is more or less cutting themselves out on this deal just to promote Origin.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

I have a 20 dollar EA coupon...hmmm..Wonder if my laptop can run this. 

Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Gav47

Gotta do something to make people remember you exist the week of a Steam sale.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Funkydupe

@Gav47: 50% off on BF3 should be enough to remind most.

Dread612

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#15  Edited By alistercat

No such deal for the UK. Oh well.

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jetsetwillie

@DystopiaX said:

Fuck Origin. I can see they're really trying hard to get people onto the platform though.

doesn't steam do the samething. steam was way worse when it first release that origin, which for the most part has been great.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CptBedlam

@jetsetwillie: Origin has no opt out option for their spyware shit. It's way worse than Steam.

deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deanoxd

i have 10 friends that play BF3 using Orgin since launch and they have had next to nothing negative to say about it, sure a few small nit picky things that we all find in anything we use. They have been very happy with its quality and BF3.

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jetsetwillie

@CptBedlam said:

@jetsetwillie: Origin has no opt out option for their spyware shit. It's way worse than Steam.

what are they spying on. surely spyware is criminal shouldn't we report them to the authorities

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By Dagbiker

Its %50 off, But they charge you twice.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DonPixel

Niceee! Good for those who haven't buy it yet

Go for it! good game.

s7evn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By s7evn

If only my PC could play it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Now downloading, BF3 on consoles just feels outdated.

Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By Evilmetal
    @Liber said:

is it Limited edition ?

no. 

So technically it's $30 + $15 = $45 

$15 for the Back to Karkand DLC.

Some may say "that's still $15 cheaper than $60" , sure... but EA can say that BF3 is worth $80. If BF3 were $80 , then at the $45 price point you'd be saving a whopping $35! !!!!1! WOW 

For a PC game... it should be $50 retail, that's what it has always been. So in fact the price of $45 is only a $5 discount at the end of the day, if you go with their 'sale'.

Why $45 and not $30?  Because EA has said that they will include the Back to Karkand DLC on the main rotation of multiplayer maps. This means that if you are playing on a regular map and then the server goes to one of those DLC maps, you will be kicked [I assume] for not having the map. So if you are playing with friends and then they kick you out? that sucks, right?  So in essence you will be 'forced' to buy the DLC. I put forced in quotes because it will be a psychological force of being removed from the 'fun room' playing with your friends or just general play, that will 'force' you to make the purchase so you are not kicked. Maybe you can surpass this and wait for a $5 DLC sale.

One must wonder if they will do this with expansions after the Back to Karkand, to include maps in the main rotation. With Bad Company 2 and its Vietnam DLC, people rose up and complained that it would divide the community, the haves and the have nots, but now.... no one is saying anything like this; rather people are saying "Serves them right for not buying the Limited Edition" .. a completely hostile look at other people of the community. Before there was care and understanding... now there seems to be a selfish asshole type aura. 

But if this does not bother you, nor does the Origin software bother you by scanning your system with out your knowledge or consent.... go for it. Maybe you can wait for Back to Karkand to be on sale for $5 in a future sale, so what was once $45 is now a potential $35...
    Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Branthog

Oh man, I remember that game. We used to play that a lot here at Giant Bomb. We even had a couple servers. Unfortunately, it's been entirely dead since 11/11/11.

@jetsetwillie said:

@CptBedlam said:

what are they spying on. surely spyware is criminal shouldn't we report them to the authorities

Spyware is not necessarily criminal. Also, that's what EULAs are for.
    Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Nentisys

Funny how people hate on Origin. Steam was total shit when it started too.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Branthog
    @DeanoXD said:

i have 10 friends that play BF3 using Orgin since launch and they have had next to nothing negative to say about it, sure a few small nit picky things that we all find in anything we use. They have been very happy with its quality and BF3.

Aside from the possible privacy concerns (plenty of software is questionable and this may be, too, but that's not rare these days - until we discover that it's doing something shitty like disabling your virtual drive loaders or something), the real problem with Origin is that it's YET ANOTHER FUCKING SYSTEM TO INSTALL/RUN/LOGIN TO. I don't know about everyone else, but I don't care to keep accounts and clients running for Impulse, Steam, GoG, D2D, Origin, and now apparently Amazon since they're selling downloadable games like Saints Row 3.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By mikemcn

@Branthog said:

@DeanoXD said:

Aside from the possible privacy concerns (plenty of software is questionable and this may be, too, but that's not rare these days - until we discover that it's doing something shitty like disabling your virtual drive loaders or something), the real problem with Origin is that it's YET ANOTHER FUCKING SYSTEM TO INSTALL/RUN/LOGIN TO. I don't know about everyone else, but I don't care to keep accounts and clients running for Impulse, Steam, GoG, D2D, Origin, and now apparently Amazon since they're selling downloadable games like Saints Row 3.

Same, I've had Steam and origin running concurrently for awhile now, it's just unnecessary.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Branthog
    @Mikemcn said:

@Branthog said:

@DeanoXD said:

Same, I've had Steam and origin running concurrently for awhile now, it's just unnecessary.

I think another big problem is that Steam has some stability behind it. They've been around long enough doing this that I feel comfortable my stuff will be there next year. Granted, it may no longer work on my system or it may not be patched up to date, but it will still be there. EA has gone through so many systems and gimmicks that I can't remember how many different accounts and logins I've had there over the years or what still works and what doesn't and where my games are (aside form the recent one(s) I've purchased on Origin, itself). They don't strike me as stable and secure. They strike me as too many cooks in the kitchen doing too many things and you never know what will stick around and what won't and in what way. 

Same, frankly, for UBI's dumb stuff and all the other systems. I've bought stuff on D2D and Impulse over the years when they had really great deals and the idea of having to launch those clients (well, install them to begin with) is so unappealing that I've bought most of the games I had on there all over again - on Steam. Even though I probably won't even ever get around to playing them. :P

I saw the headline about GoG wanting to get into the game, too. I just hope they have the sense not to go with their own client (though I know they do already have one, it is optional) and that they're still going to be the great old GoG they've always been. When it comes down to it, if I'm going to buy a game with DRM that requires some sort of a client and more than $5.99 to buy, I'm going to do it on Steam. GoG won't be getting that business or any space in my resident memory for another goofy application to be running all the time.
    Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Evilmetal
    @Nentisys said:

that's a vague generalization. What I remember about Steam in its early days was poor performance and arguments about "what happens if Valve/Steam shut down? we lose the game?" etc.. 

Today the problem with Origin, isn't really the performance --from what I've read, but the EULA and a user's privacy. EA tries to down play it, but there is no better way to clear the situation up than by being precise with their EULA and allowing customer choice in the process. The customer is going to pay $60 for your product.... you're going treat them like dog shit too?

But I don't recall, not that I remember everything, too much concerns about the EULA with Steam early on, with respect to scanning computers. I didn't frequent the forums back then to read everything. I don't remember, not to say it didn't exist. I just remember 'poor performance and gaming freedom' type of arguments. And these issues still exist today and I consider them to still be a problem. My most expensive download service game is $9.99 and my total digital purchases does not exceed $50.  

Digital downloads give me the impression that the game is not 'mine'; that I can't play it whenever and however I want. However companies today are introducing a grey area... so like BF3 or MW for example. You go to the store and buy the hard copy of BF3 or MW but when you go home to install it, the software requires an internet connection where you must be connected to  Origin, or Steam respectively to get use out of it...  the game operates only when those applications operate.

They're trying to break the idea that what you buy is yours to do with as you please. They don't want you to buy something once and then leave; only to return when they work their butts off and release something several years down the line. No. They want you to be a consistent consumer.  "Nothin' to do? buy a hat for your avatar!". Things like this. "Bored of the game? Buy these maps (that we cut out of the full version only to sell later)".  

They want you to buy year-round, all the time until the next major release. That's fine (if they come out-right and say that's their stance), but developers/publishers are trying to pass it off as the natural  'evolution' of the game. "Yeah man, the game has evolved. Don't live in the past". But they fail to mention that the 'evolution' is driven by the greedy corporate stooges. "No it's not! It's from our telemetry."  ... they introduce on purpose addictive elements into their games as a launch pad to take their business direction even further next time.

At the end of the day, in my eyes, Origin, Steam, and all the other digital distributors.... they're all like drug pushers, drug dealers. There are articles, if you search, that explain the addictive nature of the games today and how dangerous they are. One article is titled "Two hours gaming = a line of cocaine" . Some people claim it's hogwash, with respect to the direct connection of 2 hours of gaming equals a line of cocaine, but there are many other articles expressing the excessively addictive nature of games and their harm to the brain. A recent article this week is titled "South Korea gaming curfew put into effect". In China there are even clinics to combat the addiction to gaming.  It's a serious issue, yet in western countries it's business.  Maybe it'll become like cigarettes. Initially all was fine and dandy, but then "Oh cigarettes are addictive and harmful to you, we'll just increase the price sky high as a penalty to make you stop using them". But the addicted people will continue on... it's a scam. They get you addicted and then they find a way to increase the price sky-high, knowing that you're addicted and will continue to pay... ruining families in the process.

Gaming addiction is seen starting from a young age...
     Gaming addiction is seen starting from a young age...

So calling these gaming companies drug dealing mafiosi, I think, is not far off. So when you go to a gamestop or the electronics section of a store and see people huddled around the video games... they're addicts looking to get their high; but you may see them dressed nicely and look clean cut, so you don't think anything of it and you go about your business. There may be instances of people buying once and not playing ever again, never looking back; but I think those are in the minority.

Anyway.....

So when there is a discussion on which service is better, Steam or Origin.... they're both "drug dealers" , they're both "bad guys"... so the discussion is on which "bad guy" is slightly better; but don't forget, they're both bad.
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CptBedlam

@jetsetwillie said:

@CptBedlam said:

Seriously? You didn't hear anything about Origins shady actions? It was pretty big here in Germany, some of the biggest newspapers reported on the spyware activities of Origin, the authorities became involved in the case and in the end EA had to change the Eula because it was against the law.

But I guess in countries like the US, people are already used to such things.

Origin is really way worse than Steam. It searches your PC for everything, pictures, movies, electronic tax declarations (yes) made with certain programs etc... people recorded evidence of all of this.

This is what Origin does even before you agree to the Eula:

http://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/attachments/483433d1319923487-origin-eula-immer-staerker-im-kreuzfeuer-der-kritik-origin3.jpg

This is what Steam does:

http://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/attachments/483443d1319916955-origin-eula-immer-staerker-im-kreuzfeuer-der-kritik-steam1.jpg

DudeSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DudeSupreme

It is retarded that EA's Origin website and store open only the Japanese store since I am stationed in Okinawa.

>:(

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

So, basically, i sell my soul and i save 30$? Where do i sign up?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34  Edited By Seppli

Some people and their irrational hatred of a digital storefront. Never ceases to amaze me.

salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By salad10203

Cyber Monday is officially on at Origin, Batman half off and a bunch of others.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#36  Edited By Hailinel

Keywords: "On Origin."

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Could I even run this game? 

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 
    Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition Service Pack 2 (build 6002), 64-bit 
    2.0 GHZ 
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9000 @ 2.00GHz

salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By salad10203

\@The_Laughing_Man: Check the tech threads at Batman Forums, but I think you could, its not very demanding. I have a 280 gtx and am running all max 1920x1080 almost a smooth 60 fps.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @salad10203 said:

\@The_Laughing_Man: Check the tech threads at Batman Forums, but I think you could, its not very demanding. I have a 280 gtx and am running all max 1920x1080 almost a smooth 60 fps.

BF3. Not batman. 
    jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By jetsetwillie

@CptBedlam said:

@jetsetwillie said:

@CptBedlam said:

Seriously? You didn't hear anything about Origins shady actions? It was pretty big here in Germany, some of the biggest newspapers reported on the spyware activities of Origin, the authorities became involved in the case and in the end EA had to change the Eula because it was against the law.

But I guess in countries like the US, people are already used to such things.

Origin is really way worse than Steam. It searches your PC for everything, pictures, movies, electronic tax declarations (yes) made with certain programs etc... people recorded evidence of all of this.

This is what Origin does even before you agree to the Eula:

http://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/attachments/483433d1319923487-origin-eula-immer-staerker-im-kreuzfeuer-der-kritik-origin3.jpg

This is what Steam does:

http://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/attachments/483443d1319916955-origin-eula-immer-staerker-im-kreuzfeuer-der-kritik-steam1.jpg

well after reading that i've unistalled Origin and burnt my BF3 disk. i just bough my ticket to the Origin/EA/BF3 hate train... where do i sit

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MideonNViscera

@Nentisys said:

haha All Steam was to me was some fucking thing that prevented me and my friends from sharing Half-Life keys. Fucking Steam!

Kasswara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Kasswara

Keyword: Origin.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Ravenlight

If they want to compete with Steam, Origin needs to start having better sales. 50% is okay but it still doesn't make me want to but the game without thinking about it.

Once I start to hear better stories about their support resources and they actually carry a game I want to play that I can't get on Steam I might jump in.

Psyael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Psyael

The whole "on Origin" thing doesn't matter anyhow, since if you're going to buy this game on PC any which-way you're going to use it anyway.

All the more fuel for the console versions, I guess; since hit detection is wonky and a lot of people could never really control BF planes with a mouse+keyboard anyway.

AngeTheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By AngeTheDude

If Dave played this on PC through Origin then that's good enough for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.