Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Battlefield 3: PC version inevitably disappointing?

• 58 results
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Jayross

Alright, so Battlefield 3 has been announced. The UK Battlefield forums are going crazy with speculation, one of my favorite topics is "Should BF3 follow the Geneva Conventions?". 

People are really expecting this game to innovate the genre and expand on Battlefield 2.  However, it is coming out on the consoles... so does this automatically diminish the potential of the game? 

The Bad Company franchise was made for consoles, and while BC2 on PC isn't a bad game... it ain't no Battlefield 3. Is it safe to assume that BF3 will have support for 64+ players? What about jets? Will it fully-utilize Direct X11? Or will it be held back by console hardware?

A lot of questions... but very little info about the game.

So, do you guys think BF3 can have the same impact that BF 1942 and BF2 had when they were first released? How did you guys like Bad Company 2?

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By PhatSeeJay

I've already vented my thoughts in endless numbers of threads already that didn't even have that specific question in the title.

Just going to wait to GDC to see what DICE has to say.
    After all, they have like six planned conferences or something about Battlefield 3. There's obviously a lot to say.

zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By zaglis

BF2 was the last good Battlefield game. Bad Company 2 is one of the worst PC multiplayer games Ive ever played.

DICE can go fuck off. Not interested in anything they put out.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Jayross
    @PhatSeeJay: some of the devs have been hyping it up quite a bit on their personal twitter accounts... yeah, I guess we just have to wait and see...
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Jayross said:
    "  So, do you guys think BF3 can have the same impact that BF 1942 and BF2 had when they were first released? How did you guys like Bad Company 2? "
    no because i really doubt that money loving EA will allow DICE to develop a stand-alone PC worthy Battlefield 3... if theres a console version, it's gonna affect the outcome of the PC game and fuck it up 

fuck you. who am i saying that to? i dunno. whoever is responsible for Battlefield 3 not being Battlefield 2. FUCK YOU.
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Pie
    @Ahmad_Metallic: Damn those money loving businesses!
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Pie said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic: Damn those money loving businesses! "
    i know right? it doesnt make sense. they're businesses.. money ?  
    wha. 
    SammydesinasNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SammydesinasNL
    @Ahmad_Metallic:
    I wouldn't mind if it was like Battlefield 2 again actually (Modern combat on consoles)
    Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Jace

I think this gameREDORCHESTRA2 has the potentialREDORCHESTRA2 to be as good as bf2 as long as theyREDORCHESTRA2 stay away from making a game based aorund consoles. BC2 fucking sucked.  

If BF3 isn't announced as basically BF2 but with better graphics, more features, and more vehicles/players, guess what game I'm going to be playing? 

Isn't it so ironic that a formula as shallow, shitty and point driven as cod's mp get repeated once a year, but the masterpiece that was bf2 is lost in the past. What the fuck people?

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I honestly have no idea. I'd like to think that the fellas at DICE understand that a more advanced version of the game is expected by the fans on the PC, but we've already seen countless developers give the proverbial middle finger to their PC customers. We'll just have to wait and see.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Jace said:
    " Isn't it so ironic that a formula as shallow, shitty and point driven as cod's mp get repeated once a year, but the masterpiece that was bf2 is lost in the past. What the fuck people? "
    man if BF3 doesnt support SIXTY FOUR players, has 6-player-based squads with a squad leader, a commander with artillery and UAV and scanning and supply drops, SEVEN kits minimum, cars and jeeps and tanks and APCs and helos and FIGHTER JETS and BOMBERS, big ass maps that feel like a whole town and a command wheel im gonna go fucking bananas... really i might start eating shit and pulling my hair out 

also, less power for snipers and NO cod-like weapon unlocking.. although the latter is like a drug that no game can avoid using anymore. 
    Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " NO cod-like weapon unlocking.. although the latter is like a drug that no game can avoid using anymore.  "
    Well, BF2 sorta invented that...
    cjmabry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By cjmabry

Woah woah woah. Either I'm having some crazy deja vu or this exact thread has been done before. Like, exactly. 

EDIT: Aha! It was on Tested. I thought I was going crazy. Anyways, carry on.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By No0b0rAmA

I'm not doubting that it will be a good game, but it's not going to be as good as it can be if it were to be PC exclusive title. Now that I think about it this game can be total shit. I'm going to go play some bf2.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By amir90

So my dreams of playing BF2142 with BC2 graphics is gone? :(

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @President_Barackbar:  in bf2 there were only 2 guns for each kit.. one is default and one you unlock 
    now its all about ranking up to unlock guns and perks and shit
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Spoonman671

Maybe we should actually wait until we know something about the game before we start with the consoles-are-ruining-my-PC-games shenanigans.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By Skald

If everybody loves Battlefield 2 so much, why don't you guys just play that? Personally, I'd like to see some innovation and change.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By mikemcn
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:

" @Jace said:

" Isn't it so ironic that a formula as shallow, shitty and point driven as cod's mp get repeated once a year, but the masterpiece that was bf2 is lost in the past. What the fuck people? "

man if BF3 doesnt support SIXTY FOUR players, has 6-player-based squads with a squad leader, a commander with artillery and UAV and scanning and supply drops, SEVEN kits minimum, cars and jeeps and tanks and APCs and helos and FIGHTER JETS and BOMBERS, big ass maps that feel like a whole town and a command wheel im gonna go fucking bananas... really i might start eating shit and pulling my hair out  also, less power for snipers and NO cod-like weapon unlocking.. although the latter is like a drug that no game can avoid using anymore.  "
    Artillery in BF2 sucked, so no to that. You'd cap a point and then just get annihilated, they would need a way to balance it. I agree no weapon unlocking would be best though. I want all the stat tracking though and unlocks sorta come hand in hand with anything like that.  
     @Jace said:

" I think this gameREDORCHESTRA2 has the potentialREDORCHESTRA2 to be as good as bf2 as long as theyREDORCHESTRA2 stay away from making a game based aorund consoles. BC2 fucking sucked.   If BF3 isn't announced as basically BF2 but with better graphics, more features, and more vehicles/players, guess what game I'm going to be playing?  Isn't it so ironic that a formula as shallow, shitty and point driven as cod's mp get repeated once a year, but the masterpiece that was bf2 is lost in the past. What the fuck people? "

And fuck you for dismissing so quickly an equally good game, I agree Battlefield is great, but Call of Duty is too, dismissing it because you seem to have a problem with fantastic shooting mechanics, approachable gameplay, hundreds of hours of play, a giant community and good map design in any game that isn't made by DICE or some obscure PC developer is pretty freaking uncool. Justify your god damn opinion, tell us why you think its bad instead of just crying shit.  
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#20  Edited By PhatSeeJay
    @Mikemcn said:

Artillery in BF2 sucked, so no to that. You'd cap a point and then just get annihilated, they would need a way to balance it. I agree no weapon unlocking would be best though. I want all the stat tracking though and unlocks sorta come hand in hand with anything like that. 

I think that feature is pretty easy to balance out. The other commander can always counter that with a well placed radar jammer or something like that. Make the Commander roles a overhead game in itself.
    Or just give squad leaders the possibility to apply a radar cloak to their squad. 

The artillery in BF2 was still the best in my book because it wasn't a sniper that sat on a hill and sniped one dude and threw an artillery strike on the remaining three of a squad.
    Also the artillery pieces were possible to simply blow up so it wasn't a Godly force.
    jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jmfinamore

Yea, it will be. The only thing I'm going to say is that a lot of the things that got dropped in the transition from BF2 to BC2 don't really matter. BF2 was defined by its fun-ness, and to me was a product of its times. BF3 could come with blowjobs and I still wouldn't like it as much as BF2.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Mikemcn said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic said:

" @Jace said:

man if BF3 doesnt support SIXTY FOUR players, has 6-player-based squads with a squad leader, a commander with artillery and UAV and scanning and supply drops, SEVEN kits minimum, cars and jeeps and tanks and APCs and helos and FIGHTER JETS and BOMBERS, big ass maps that feel like a whole town and a command wheel im gonna go fucking bananas... really i might start eating shit and pulling my hair out  also, less power for snipers and NO cod-like weapon unlocking.. although the latter is like a drug that no game can avoid using anymore.  "
    Artillery in BF2 sucked, so no to that. You'd cap a point and then just get annihilated, they would need a way to balance it. I agree no weapon unlocking would be best though. I want all the stat tracking though and unlocks sorta come hand in hand with anything like that.   "
    nothing felt better than being smart enough to hear the artillery firing beyond the hills and fleeing before it hit you. or atleast knowing how the enemy commander operates and dodging his attacks... 
    i thought the BF2 artillery was like a sweet symphony. i love killing with it and i loved getting killed by it, or better yet, evading it 

@Mikemcn said:
    " @Jace said:

" I think this gameREDORCHESTRA2 has the potentialREDORCHESTRA2 to be as good as bf2 as long as theyREDORCHESTRA2 stay away from making a game based aorund consoles. BC2 fucking sucked.   If BF3 isn't announced as basically BF2 but with better graphics, more features, and more vehicles/players, guess what game I'm going to be playing?  Isn't it so ironic that a formula as shallow, shitty and point driven as cod's mp get repeated once a year, but the masterpiece that was bf2 is lost in the past. What the fuck people? "

And fuck you for dismissing so quickly an equally good game, I agree Battlefield is great, but Call of Duty is too, dismissing it because you seem to have a problem with fantastic shooting mechanics and map design in any game that isn't made by DICE or some obscure PC developer is pretty freaking uncool. Justify your god damn opinion tell us why you think its bad instead of just crying shit.    "

he's not exactly saying its bad. he's saying that compared to Battlefield 2, its pretty linear and shallow.. which is correct 
    Mike, if you truly cant see any difference in the way Battlefield 2 is played and the way CoD is played, i really have nothing to justify here.. its pretty damn obvious. everything about Battlefield feels more colossal and detailed and varied. diversity is the word.. with call of duty all you're doing is running around a relatively small map, harvesting kills and deaths. 
    you like that? FINE, i dont mind the CoD gameplay being your bag, but you cant deny that Battlefield is so much more sophisticated where team-based strategies are essential and you have so much more at your disposal (be it weapons, vehicles, bushy hills to snipe from and parachutes and aircraft) than a gun and a hand grenade and some streak rewards.. 
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @HarlequinRiot said:
    " Yea, it will be. The only thing I'm going to say is that a lot of the things that got dropped in the transition from BF2 to BC2 don't really matter. BF2 was defined by its fun-ness, and to me was a product of its times. BF3 could come with blowjobs and I still wouldn't like it as much as BF2. "
    come on, duderino. i bet you a hundred bucks that if you see Battlefield 2 rise again as Battlefield 3 with all it's goodness + everything enhanced + a few new features TRUE to the franchise + superb graphics, you'd soak yourself in it right away 

god i fucking love battlefield
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mikemcn
    @Ahmad_Metallic:  Well yes the Scope is bigger, but the intensity and satisfaction of getting a kill just isn't the same (Unless you run them over in a jeep, thats always the best videogame related feeling in the world.) Battlefield is entirely dependent on the people playing it, its so teamwork oriented its almost to a fault, if your team is off, you are guranteed to have a sucky game (Which is why our bombing runs are so great.) Constantly worrying about what the other guy is doing means that no matter how hard you try you'll lose, no matter how many people you kill, or flags you cap you still won't succeed. The variety of tools for killing is also, great, but when its you in an empty field versus a tank, you have no chance, in Call of Duty, no matter how many people im up against, no matter how bad my team is, I can make a difference or find a way to prevail even against the worst odds.  And if you really want to do good in Call of Duty you need your own solo strategies, as oppose to team based ones. Point at dude and shoot only gets you so far .

So basically I like Call of Duty because it plays to my Chuck Norris instincts. Im a one man army. And no enemy is too big.
    pieman32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By pieman32

just shut the fuck up and wait.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Mikemcn said:
    " Well yes the Scope is bigger, but the intensity and satisfaction of getting a kill just isn't the same (Unless you run them over in a jeep, thats always the best videogame related feeling in the world.) "
    Battlefield fans dont get the joy out of just seeing an enemy and shooting him to death. they want more to it 

"  Battlefield is entirely dependent on the people playing it, its so teamwork oriented its almost to a fault, if your team is off, you are guranteed to have a sucky game (Which is why our bombing runs are so great.) Constantly worrying about what the other guy is doing means that no matter how hard you try you'll lose, no matter how many people you kill, or flags you cap you still won't succeed."

the chances of that happening are pretty slim, as Battlefield (THANKFULLY) isnt as popular and streamlined as CoD.. so usually the people playing know whats up enough to help you push forward.. ive played Battlefield 2 for 2.5 years and have been playing BC2 for a year, and i can barely remember any rounds where my team didnt know what they were doing 

"  The variety of tools for killing is also, great, but when its you in an empty field versus a tank, you have no chance. "
    thats the beauty of it. Battlefield is real.. it tells you that even though its a video game, you cant go Duke Nukem on it's ass. if you're standing in a field in front of a Tank, you die. thats the beauty of being so vulnerable and needing a company of team mates to help you achieve things and take on big threats.. thats what life is. 

"  in Call of Duty, no matter how many people im up against, no matter how bad my team is, I can make a difference or find a way to prevail even against the worst odds.  And if you really want to do good in Call of Duty you need your own solo strategies, as oppose to team based ones. Point at dude and shoot only gets you so far . So basically I like Call of Duty because it plays to my Chuck Norris instincts. Im a one man army. And no enemy is too big. "

Well thats who you are, and thats just fine. not everyone has to appreciate Battlefield, you know.. some people find their entertainment and Call of Duty and arent interested in a bigger scoped team based shooter. thats no bad thing, it's just your taste :) 
    atleast you're admitting that Battlefield has more to it, and thats what i think is fair.
    kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By kishan6
    @HarlequinRiot said:
    " Yea, it will be. The only thing I'm going to say is that a lot of the things that got dropped in the transition from BF2 to BC2 don't really matter. BF2 was defined by its fun-ness, and to me was a product of its times. BF3 could come with blowjobs and I still wouldn't like it as much as BF2. "
    Dude..... I mean c'mon.... its blowjobs plural man.  that would be awesome every time you turn on the game it turns you on also! 

but ya i pretty much agree with ur opinion because im pretty positive that they will dumb it down.  i reallly hope they have atleast the same amount of classes as bf1942.  And seriously though if it DOESNT have 64 players i will rage.  Heres to hoping they dont have singleplayer also so they can focus on the multi!
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Marz

I wouldn't mind a classless system, instead you chose a pack kit in your secondary slot, health pack, ammo pack, or repair tool.  While you could choose a weapon of your choice to go along with it.   Make a sniper rifle take up both primary and secondary slot to balance that out.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Oldirtybearon

At this point I'm kind of hoping BF3 sucks just to see all the butthurt about it. 

DICE hasn't let me down before. Battlefield 2 was amazing for its time, and the Bad Company games are great fun. I don't see why everyone is up in arms thinking DICE is going to fuck up BF3.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Enigma777

PC is dead. It's all about the consoles nowadays. If there was no console versions, there would be no BF3, simple as that.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Enigma777 said:
    " PC is dead. It's all about the consoles nowadays. If there was no console versions, there would be no BF3, simple as that. "
    i cant believe that actually makes sense 

god damn it.
    Mooshu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Mooshu

Dice and EA have gone on record to say that the PC version is going to be drastically different than the console versions. 

I trust Dice, so until I see evidence contrary to that, I'll believe them.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Mooshu said:
    " Dice and EA have gone on record to say that the PC version is going to be drastically different than the console versions. "
    source ? and thanks reading that felt good !
    Mooshu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Mooshu
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#35  Edited By Vinny_Says

Some people say that htey are building it for PC primarily and eventually will do a console version. Like Battlefield 2 (dope) and Modern combat (not so....)

But then there's the console market and the money it generates.....

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Rockanomics

I'd like to think it'll be crazy awesome but considering the current climate, I'm not getting my hopes up.  
    I really hate to be that guy but after being flat out lied to about Borderlands it's hard to trust people.

Plus 1943 never even made it over, I feel like that would have been a much better experience than BC2.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MiniPato

Making games about war has changed...

It's no longer about large scale battlefields, massive player counts, or a multitude of vehicles. 
    It's about gaining experience points, destructible environments, and perks and unlocks. All in an attempt to appeal to the console markets.

Making games about war has changed...

B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#38  Edited By B0nd07
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @President_Barackbar:  in bf2 there were only 2 guns for each kit.. one is default and one you unlock now its all about ranking up to unlock guns and perks and shit "
    Close.  BF2 had three weapons per class:  The default, and two unlocks.  At certain levels you'd get a point to use to unlock any one weapon as you choose.  You didn't have to play the support class to get a support unlock, for example.

To answer the OP, if developed right, it could be just as ground-breaking as 1942 and BF2 were.  Basically, stick to the formula that those two used and less based on BC2 or trying to be a CoD clone.  As for BC2, it's alright.  It's not the Battlefield experience I hope BF3 will be, but it's not terrible.  It helps fill the void of having no proper PC Battlefield game for a long time.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#39  Edited By Geno

I'm not so much worried about the graphics as I am about the gameplay. Graphics demands are still fully exceeding modern PC hardware specs, and since PCs and consoles run at completely different image quality settings they have essentially nothing to do with one another.  

I'm afraid I'll have to agree with you there on the game itself though; has any console-influenced shooter proven to be innovative in the past few years? Call of Duty? Bad Company 2? Killzone 2? All the same. The last innovative shooter that came out on the market was Crysis back in 2007, a PC only game.  

They did promise however that the PC version "wouldn't disappoint", but then again Crytek has been saying the same thing about Crysis 2 and they're not much short of giving Microsoft and Sony a handjob when it comes to console pandering. 

SammydesinasNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SammydesinasNL

No prone. 

Well, maybe.
    blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By blueduck
    @Enigma777 said:
    " PC is dead. It's all about the consoles nowadays. If there was no console versions, there would be no BF3, simple as that. "
    Pc isn't dead and  the people who keep repeating never have anything to back it up. It's very simple you just have to count pc as a console, if a company is making a game they know not everyone with whatever console is going to buy it so they want to put it on as many as they can. The difference is that Pc has the ability to do way more so when they make a game for the pc and everything else it clearly shows. The funny thing is when someone says Pc is dead they're basically saying Pc no longer has the ability to just have its own games it has to delve into the limitations of console gaming more and more!
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Enigma777
    @blueduck said:
    " @Enigma777 said:
    Pc isn't dead and  the people who keep repeating never have anything to back it up. It's very simple you just have to count pc as a console, if a company is making a game they know not everyone with whatever console is going to buy it so they want to put it on as many as they can. The difference is that Pc has the ability to do way more so when they make a game for the pc and everything else it clearly shows. The funny thing is when someone says Pc is dead they're basically saying Pc no longer has the ability to just have its own games it has to delve into the limitations of console gaming more and more! "
    When I say the PC is dead, I mean it no longer can support giant, multi-million dollar franchises by itself unless your name is Blizzard. Even Valve is reaching for the console market.
    gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By gamb1t

ill murder the whole dice team if this is some CONSOLE BULLSHIT. then im gunna fucken sleep like a baby. wake up and play some battlefield 2.

Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Agent47

I hate when these PC fanboys cry "Oh it's coming out for consoles too!?Fuck that dumbed down, shitty aiming, plus it's on console!".I am telling everybody this and I hope they agree with me cause it is the truth.If DICE decides by some grand stupid idea to only launch BF3 on PC.Their sales will go down the shitter.Not to say PC gaming is dead, but it just isn't as prominent as it used to be.Releasing on multiple platforms will ensure everybody can enjoy the game, plus more sales for DICE.Which mean they can keep making great games.I can't afford a good ass PC to run BF3, so I turn to console cause it is cheaper.(Plus I like the shot vibration)Not to say that BF3 won't sell on PC.It just wouldn't even level the sales of BFBC or BFBC2.Why can't PC fanboys just be more open minded?

s7evn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By s7evn

I have confidence in DICE. I think they know their fans and will deliver a product that will satisfy what their fans want. I just hope the game isn't released with all the bugs from BF2.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By yinstarrunner
    @Enigma777 said:

" @blueduck said:

" @Enigma777 said:

Pc isn't dead and  the people who keep repeating never have anything to back it up. It's very simple you just have to count pc as a console, if a company is making a game they know not everyone with whatever console is going to buy it so they want to put it on as many as they can. The difference is that Pc has the ability to do way more so when they make a game for the pc and everything else it clearly shows. The funny thing is when someone says Pc is dead they're basically saying Pc no longer has the ability to just have its own games it has to delve into the limitations of console gaming more and more! "
    When I say the PC is dead, I mean it no longer can support giant, multi-million dollar franchises by itself unless your name is Blizzard. Even Valve is reaching for the console market. "
     "When I say the 360 is dead, I mean it no longer can support giant, multi-million dollar franchises by itself unless your name is Microsoft Game Studios."
     "When I say the PS3 is dead, I mean it no longer can support giant, multi-million dollar franchises by itself unless your name is Sony Computer Entertainment."

The only difference between PC gaming and Console gaming from an exclusives standpoint is that PC gaming doesn't have one giant conglomerate backing it that pays millions of dollars just to KEEP games exclusive to their system to "one-up" the competition.

Multiplatform is the way of the future.  Companies want money.  The only reason your exclusives are exclusive is because Microsoft and Sony are giving them that money to keep them there.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47  Edited By JJOR64

I really hope BF 3 is dramatically different from games in the same genre.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Enigma777
    @yinstarrunner: Uh... thanks for proving my point?  The lack of a giant conglomerate is exactly why PC gaming is on the decline and why console games outsell PC ones 5:1 or more.

I'm not knocking PC gaming. It does a lot of things right, but let's be realists here. It's nowhere near as big as it used to be.
    yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By yinstarrunner
    @Agent47 said:
    " I hate when these PC fanboys cry "Oh it's coming out for consoles too!?Fuck that dumbed down, shitty aiming, plus it's on console!".I am telling everybody this and I hope they agree with me cause it is the truth.If DICE decides by some grand stupid idea to only launch BF3 on PC.Their sales will go down the shitter.Not to say PC gaming is dead, but it just isn't as prominent as it used to be.Releasing on multiple platforms will ensure everybody can enjoy the game, plus more sales for DICE.Which mean they can keep making great games.I can't afford a good ass PC to run BF3, so I turn to console cause it is cheaper.(Plus I like the shot vibration)Not to say that BF3 won't sell on PC.It just wouldn't even level the sales of BFBC or BFBC2.Why can't PC fanboys just be more open minded? "
    Because sales have little impact on one's enjoyment of a game.  You are right to say that it will sell more if the game goes to consoles.  It's a no brainer.

That doesn't mean it will be as good as BF2, though.   From past experience, once a franchise moves from PC to multiplatform, much of the complexity and depth of the PC version is thrown out of the window for numerous reasons.  It's a pattern we've experienced for years and years, and so seeing such a beloved franchise as Battlefield going multiplat is a cause for concern for PC gamers who adore the old games and saw BC2 as a mere shadow of the franchises former glory.

Of course, you probably wouldn't care, being a console gamer and all.  Especially if you haven't played BF2.
    yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By yinstarrunner
    @Enigma777: 
    The point is that you named the single company that can sustain PC-only publishing.
    You made it sound as if there were a glorious assembly of publishers and developers who stick exclusively to one console.
    I just wanted to set the record straight that the only reason console exclusives exist in this day and age is because Microsoft and Sony pour millions upon millions into the development and advertising campaigns of such games to try to get you to buy their consoles.
    I guess what I'm really trying to say is that there is no financial prerogative for other publishers to stick to one console, like you implied in your post.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.