Battlefield 3 system requirements are fake.

#1 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -

Hey guys, just wanted to let everyone know that the system requirements that have been posted on some BF fan sites, as well as in some forums (including this one, unfortunately) are fake.

Official system requirements have not been released by DICE. The game is still in "pre-alpha" according to DICE. So, please ignore the requirements that have been floating around, and do not base any upgrades off of them.

Source:

https://twitter.com/gustavhalling/status/78160865257459712

#2 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5250 posts) -

Either way, I know I'm going to have to upgrade.

#3 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

I hope they put out specs soon cause i want my E penis to get bigger again.

#4 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

I'm not surprised. Been a bit too much assumptions ever since the game was announced.

#5 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

I posted that on the very first page of the 3K view specs thread but no one would listen :P

#6 Posted by Skytylz (4029 posts) -

I'm already planning on buying another 6950 for this game.

#7 Posted by Jasta (2217 posts) -

Do you reckon the the real system requirements will be higher or lower than the fake ones?

#8 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

I posted that on the very first page of the 3K view specs thread but no one would listen :P

Actually it's on the second page. First page or it didn't happen. XD

#9 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@PhatSeeJay said:

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

haha, more like "first 10 posts or it didn't happen"
#10 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

@PhatSeeJay said:

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

haha, more like "first 10 posts or it didn't happen"

A very much valid, and quite sad, point.

#11 Posted by Unchained (1080 posts) -

They probably won't release the official specs until the game is close to going gold, as they'll want to optimize it as best they can to be able to accommodate a wider audience.

I'm expecting the recommended specs to be lower than what was listed to run it at high. To run it at "ultra" or whatever, though, you'll probably need the current top-of-the-line dual-gpu card or the latest single card release (if amd or nvidia plan on releasing a new one) at launch, along with a lot of memory and near-cutting edge cpu.

That's my best guess. That game looks like a beast and I'm looking forward to giving my rig a workout. It handled Witcher 2 at ultra well enough.

#12 Posted by billnyethesciencepie (1333 posts) -

Yeah I thought it was weird they wouldnt support XP, thus throwing out like 40% of the market

#13 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@billnyethesciencepie said:
Yeah I thought it was weird they wouldnt support XP, thus throwing out like 40% of the market
That's the only part of these fake specs that is correct 
XP and DX9 are out
#14 Edited by Devildoll (877 posts) -

no one should care about system requirements before the game is released anyway , there is just no point .

#15 Posted by BeachThunder (11702 posts) -

In before recommended:

• Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad or higher
  • Memory: 2GB
  • Graphics: 512 MB Video Card (GeForce GTX 260/ ATI Radeon 4870)
  • Controller Support: Support for Logitech G15 and G19 keyboard LCDs in multiplayer
#16 Posted by Liquidus (946 posts) -

How the fuck can the game still be in "pre-alpha" with just over 4 months to go until release day?

#17 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -
@Liquidus said:
How the fuck can the game still be in "pre-alpha" with just over 4 months to go until release day?

Judging by the E3 videos, I would consider this game to be way past what I would consider to be a pre-alpha phase.
#18 Posted by Mu5hy (124 posts) -

@Devildoll said:

no one should care about system requirements before the game is released anyway , there is just no point .

I'm sure there are a lot of folks out there who are planning on a building a new PC for BF3 (myself included), so the sooner the specs are released, the sooner I will start looking at specific hardware options.

#19 Edited by warxsnake (2635 posts) -

This is just an educated developer guess, but based on the engine: 

GTX260 and above, *maybe* geforce 8 and 9 as they are DX10 shared vertex and pixel shader pipelines with large memory, will depend on how optimized the engine on PC will be. Also depends widely on resolution, something with minimum 512MB vram. 
Core2Quad  
2 to 4GB ram minimum 

As for what I recommend for BF3: 

GTX560ti/570 
4GB ram or more 
Core i5 2500 or better.  

Bonuses: 
Nvidia 3D vision as the engine has full support. 
Joystick peripheral, this I'm not sure about, but I hope they support HOTAS setups like the x52pro. 
Astro mixamp + dolby digital / dolby headphone compatible sound card.  

#20 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

They said the current build is on the 550, so...that means that most people should be able to play it fine.

If you can run Crysis 2 you should be good.

#21 Posted by TheKeyboardDemon (824 posts) -

They will probably release specs just as demo or beta versions are released.

#22 Edited by Devildoll (877 posts) -

@Mu5hy:

Well its not a good idea to build a computer several months in advance of a game whether the system requirements have been released or not.

The only time you want to do that is when you old computer has gone up in flames and you need a quick fix.

AMD is going to release a whole new generation of processors , and there is a slight chance that the next generation of graphics cards will have made it to market before BF3 ships.

So holding out until the actual game is upon us will lead to people having more computer for the money in general. ( or the same performance for less $'s )

the system requirements or recommended specs don't really say anything , they don't state at what frame rate you will be able to play , or at what resolution.

what they actually stand for varies heavily from game to game .

i've just never been dying to get a hold of them , since they don't really help more than a slight point in the right direction.

@KaosAngel:

550?

I know dice ran the GDC demo on a computer with a single 580 , but where did you see/read anything about a 550, i'd like to take a look at that.

#23 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Jasta said:
Do you reckon the the real system requirements will be higher or lower than the fake ones?
They're supposed to be higher, way higher, but in a recent interview with Patrick Bach he said the specs for BF3 won't be anything beastly or Crysis-like, which doesn't make sense :S 

@PeasantAbuse said:
@Liquidus said:
Judging by the E3 videos, I would consider this game to be way past what I would consider to be a pre-alpha phase.
Demize99 keeps repeating that it's pre-alpha and that everything is subject to change.. it doesn't make any fucking sense, the game is out in FOUR MONTHS 

also, what kind of useless beta comes out 1 month before the game? how will they be able to fix the major glitches the beta players find?  EA and DICE have a tendency to keep fucking up. 

@KaosAngel said:

They said the current build is on the 550, so...

why do you keep saying that :P ? They said 580 GTX, we all saw it, so where did the 550 come from ?
#24 Edited by 137 (481 posts) -

@PeasantAbuse said:

@Liquidus said:

Well being the director of the game was there giving briefings before anyone got to touch is and said "please be kind with your words as the game is still pre-alpha" I would say the game itself is probably where he says it is. The engine however has been in development for years now and I don't see the system requirements for battlefield 3 being any different than what's required now for battlefield bad company 2 to be quite honest with you.

And that's coming from a logical technical standpoint.

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

Demize99 keeps repeating that it's pre-alpha and that everything is subject to change.. it doesn't make any fucking sense, the game is out in FOUR MONTHS

also, what kind of useless beta comes out 1 month before the game? how will they be able to fix the major glitches the beta players find? EA and DICE have a tendency to keep fucking up.

I am almost 100 percent sure the multiplayer is in full final development and they are at a point where they could probably release it as is, or decide what else they need to add to it, what to tweak, etc. And it's a matter of checking a box to add or remove said features to balance gameplay, or assist in your experience, etc. I am pretty sure the game in a whole is done and at this point in time it's just deciding what formula for the multiplayer is going to work best. Worst come to worst the engine is most likely at a point where they could beta the game for a month while the game is going gold and implement whatever changes necessary through a software patch by the time the game is out for release.

From a development point that would make the most sense, being making a program/video game isn't like making a recipe for food. And everything has to be ready at the time of baking.

#25 Edited by Devildoll (877 posts) -

alpha would mean that the game is feature complete , not good looking , if thats what you guys mean.

#26 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

How is a game coming out in like 4 months in pre-alpha? Content should be locked by then.

I just build a PC like a month or two ago anyway, and I got modern parts on it, I should be just fine. I haven't found something this can't max out at 1080p so far, and it was pretty much the same computer Tested built for Jeff, which I managed to shave enough off to get it down to like 1200$, which ain't bad at all for a new gaming computer. I'll just have to hold out a couple years on a new macbook.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.