Battlefield 3 Trailer Hits, First Details Come In

• 98 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

The first meaningful details pertaining to Battlefield 3 went online this morning as part of a rollout leading up to a Game Informer magazine full reveal. Jets and prone, 64-player competitive multiplayer, and a Fall release date for all three versions of the title have now been confirmed via various sources, including digital Game Informer, the game’s official Web site, and even the BF Blog.  

Also, there’s a new trailer out there. Check it:

Not too much to glean at from this teaser, but obviously Battlefield 3 will focus on urban warfare and its trappings -- tanks, RPGs, attack helicopters, and urban sprawl. Also, take note of the heavy distortion on the BF theme song. Sounds like the beginning of the mashy, bile-spitting kind of stuff that makes for the best and nastiest war movies. 

There’s not a lot more to go on here. As I mentioned, Game Informer has the scoop, and as a GI digital blog post promises, we’ll learn a lot more about the game’s single-player campaign and its multiplayer when the magazine hits. Anyone else excited?

#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

The first meaningful details pertaining to Battlefield 3 went online this morning as part of a rollout leading up to a Game Informer magazine full reveal. Jets and prone, 64-player competitive multiplayer, and a Fall release date for all three versions of the title have now been confirmed via various sources, including digital Game Informer, the game’s official Web site, and even the BF Blog.  

Also, there’s a new trailer out there. Check it:

Not too much to glean at from this teaser, but obviously Battlefield 3 will focus on urban warfare and its trappings -- tanks, RPGs, attack helicopters, and urban sprawl. Also, take note of the heavy distortion on the BF theme song. Sounds like the beginning of the mashy, bile-spitting kind of stuff that makes for the best and nastiest war movies. 

There’s not a lot more to go on here. As I mentioned, Game Informer has the scoop, and as a GI digital blog post promises, we’ll learn a lot more about the game’s single-player campaign and its multiplayer when the magazine hits. Anyone else excited?

#2 Edited by drac96 (654 posts) -

Doesn't show much, but it'll most likely be pretty good. Battlefield games tend to be.

#3 Posted by msavo (7522 posts) -

And people said it would only have 24 players online :P Seriously who took that as the truth? 

#4 Posted by Harmonican (63 posts) -

Damn, just a teaser..

#5 Posted by RobbieMac (534 posts) -

What a trailer....  not srs

#6 Posted by Darkstar614 (1097 posts) -

If that can make a slightly more compelling mutliplayer(actual new dlc maps) than BC2, and a way better singleplayer... Then that's a sale from me, I played the multipayer of BC2 quite a bit.

#7 Posted by s7evn (1072 posts) -

Teaser trailer :(

#8 Posted by thedj93 (1237 posts) -

So i guess this will stand as a more taking-itself-seriously approach to battlefield as opposed to the bad company stuff. 

don't know how i feel about that quite yet, but if the singleplayer ends up being what Medal of Honor so desperately wanted to be, I can see it being pretty darn cool.

#9 Posted by Skald (4366 posts) -

I'm always ready for more Battlefield.

#10 Posted by Franstone (1057 posts) -

I read campaign Co-op on another site as well...
#11 Posted by LordLOC (172 posts) -

I haven't seen anyone else say that the consoles would have 64 players yet. DICE confirmed that PC would (yay about time DICE) though. Then again, DICE's games on the consoles all use dedicated servers anyway, so I suppose it's possible that both the 360 and PS3 versions will support 64 players.

The Wii version will support 128 though supposedly. And have a map editor.

#12 Posted by Venatio (4485 posts) -

Wait, this has a campaign? Awesome, did not expect it

#13 Posted by JerichoBlyth (1044 posts) -
@Darkstar614 said:
" If that can make a slightly more compelling mutliplayer(actual new dlc maps) than BC2, and a way better singleplayer... Then that's a sale from me, I played the multipayer of BC2 quite a bit. "
Battlefield 3 does not need a single player. I have heard it has one though...which is questionable because the last game didn't have one.
#14 Edited by SomeJerk (2971 posts) -
@RE_Player92 said:

" And people said it would only have 24 players online :P Seriously who took that as the truth?  "

On consoles.

Or at least the PS3. They need a lot of work on the netcode to fit 24 players into the 8kbps limit MS have on their games.

e: As for single player, the first Battlefield had simple AI campaigns against bots, it was good enough, same we'll get here.
#15 Posted by raiz265 (2232 posts) -
@Darkstar614 said:
" If that can make a slightly more compelling mutliplayer(actual new dlc maps) than BC2, and a way better singleplayer... Then that's a sale from me, I played the multipayer of BC2 quite a bit. "
Do you really care about single player in a Battlefield game?
#16 Edited by Seppli (9746 posts) -

I had an erection for a good 7 hours now. I will sport a raging boner 'til I'll get BF3 installed on my PC or I'm getting hospitalized for chronic boner syndrome.

It'll take at least 1000 hours of playtime, 'til I'll get sweet release and can give my junk a rest.

#17 Posted by Pat_Menards (6 posts) -

I'm not sure that 64 players has been confirmed on consoles yet. From the Battlefield Blog,  "As for fan favorite features, how does the return of jets, prone, and 64-player multiplayer (on PC) sound?"

#18 Posted by Itsdapoleece (23 posts) -

Welp, time to jump in the front lines again.

#19 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

All I heard when listening to that trailer was the Terminator theme. 

which is good (as well as 64 player multiplayer and a lots of vehicles and stuff)

#20 Posted by g00z3m4n (14 posts) -

Excuse my language, but, FUCK TEASERS!! :-(   Why must they always tease us awww. Skyrim and then BF 3. :'(
#21 Posted by AllanIceman (1321 posts) -

INCEPTION!

#22 Posted by ObsideonDarman (634 posts) -

Friggin' Awesome!

#23 Posted by HarlequinRiot (1098 posts) -

That's pretty much confirms everything that people wanted. Now it's just a matter of nailing the more technical aspects of it.  

Also, is there some reason they couldn't do 64 players on the PS3? MAG supports 128 right? 

#24 Edited by LiquidSaiyan3 (457 posts) -

All I know of Battlefield is what I learned from BC2. Should I be excited? 

Also, I like jets ( ^ - ^  )

#25 Posted by Goblinoid (75 posts) -

Urban, why has it always to be urban? Bad Company, Bad Company 2, Modern Warfare, Modern Warfare 2, Black Ops, Battlefield 2, Medal Of Honour.

I. Am. So. Sick. Of. This. Urban. ****.

Just make a new Battlefield 1942 and you have bought me in. Oh, it's just me? Ffuu...

#26 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3321 posts) -

Russian Jet shooting down a civilian helicopter (sure looks like it). Singleplayer campaign on US soil as what end of BC2 hinted at? I wouldn't mind the chance to wreck some Frostbite 2.0 havoc on one famous cities. :P

#27 Posted by UberExplodey (904 posts) -

where's my multiplayer beta code!?

#28 Posted by dezvous (523 posts) -

What a badass teaser! I want to hear more. Sounded like NIN. 

I can't wait for BF3. As long as it sticks true to it's roots it'll be amazing. BF2 on the PC is still one of my most favorite FPS of all time. The Bad Company games were fun, but still nothing compared to plain BF2 on the PC.

#29 Posted by Th3dz (332 posts) -

First Battlefield to have single player. Exciting!

#30 Posted by Crushed (878 posts) -

I hope I can spot ALL the enemy boats.

#31 Posted by Dain22 (309 posts) -
@dezvous said:
" What a badass teaser! I want to hear more. Sounded like NIN."
I was gonna say, that sounded like some NIN work, but it honestly took me a second to realize it was the BF theme (haven't played since 2). 
#32 Posted by Hexogen (766 posts) -

I think you might want to clarify that 64 players is only confirmed for the PC. They haven't revealed the number of players for consoles. At least, not officially. But if you look at the GI page for Battlefield 3 and go to the multiplayer tab, it says 24 players for consoles. Like I said, it's not official yet, but it is a bit worrisome. Game Informer has the exclusive reveal, so they would know.

#33 Posted by Gruff182 (847 posts) -

Oh god, why waste resources on single player.. Just make BC3 after.

They seem to miss the point of their own franchise.

#34 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

when does this magazine hit ?

#35 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

Fking cool!

#36 Posted by Spiritof (1987 posts) -

THAT was a fun teaser trailer (and I've never been that into the Battlefield franchise).

#37 Edited by Nomin (920 posts) -

So what would be the factions this time, holdovers from the last installment?  

Is there a running plot that underlies the Battlefield franchise? 

#38 Posted by flannelbeard (126 posts) -

Soooo.... how many FPS is EA publishing now?

#39 Posted by Impossibilium (679 posts) -
@Gruff182 said:
" Oh god, why waste resources on single player.. Just make BC3 after.  They seem to miss the point of their own franchise. "

Indeed, that's just fucking dumb.

Who the hell plays a traditional Battlefield game for single player? That's what Bad Company is for. If people are buying a true BF game for single player then they are missing the point too.

Notice they didn't say mod support. If this doesn't have mod support on PC then they are pissing on their own development base.
#40 Posted by Nomin (920 posts) -
@Impossibilium: probably the 'mods' will be part of their DLC release schedule 
#41 Edited by Rio (591 posts) -
@Seppli: I think you're supposed to see a doctor after 4 hours.  Hope you are alright.
#42 Edited by Impossibilium (679 posts) -
@Th3dz said:

" First Battlefield to have single player. Exciting! "

Only on PC. Consoles had SP with Battlefield 2: Modern Combat.

And no. Not exciting.
#43 Posted by Branthog (7332 posts) -

Is 64 player supposed to be impressive? When MAG is doing 256 players on a console and Battlefield 2 was doing 64 players six years ago, having 64 players on a large scale game in 2011 seems like an absolute minimal necessity.

#44 Posted by Ghostin (369 posts) -

Isn't it 64 players on PC, and 24 on consoles?
#45 Edited by MachoFantastico (4307 posts) -

I'm all for some Battlefield. but only 64 players? Wasn't Battlefield 2 larger then that? 

Think I'd rather stick to Bad Company if it's just 64 players. Having said that, guess it's a network limitation for consoles. Damn you console versions.  

Any hope of seeing a larger player amount on PC?

#46 Posted by mosdl (3223 posts) -

Ugh prone.  It was one of the better things in BFBC2 - reduced sniper effectiveness.

#47 Posted by MisterMouse (3531 posts) -

kind of a cool trailer.

#48 Posted by Gregomasta (1541 posts) -
@Branthog said:
" Is 64 player supposed to be impressive? When MAG is doing 256 players on a console and Battlefield 2 was doing 64 players six years ago, having 64 players on a large scale game in 2011 seems like an absolute minimal necessity. "
uhhh, play call of duty black ops recently?
#49 Edited by JoMate (241 posts) -

there is distortion, and nothing else so this game is gonna be awesome

#50 Posted by Surmy (3 posts) -

This is looking more and more like a day one purchase

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.