Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Beta is over

• 77 results
    JoWill1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By JoWill1986

Sadness.

I guess I just gotta wait the two weeks til the game comes out.

easthill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By easthill

And I finally got the hang of jets an hour before the beta closed. Helicopters too. 2 weeks is a long time now.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Funkydupe

Did you have fun?

thornie_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By thornie_delete

I'm kind of bummed our stats and unlocks won't carry over, but I guess it's only fair considering the amount of people who prestiged already. I'm going to miss that C4 unlock for support which took me forever to get.

JoWill1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JoWill1986

@Funkydupe: If I could get into to a decent squad, and play with teammates who knew what they were doing, it was a very enjoyable experience.

JoWill1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JoWill1986

@thornie: I know. It sucks so bad that we have unlock all that stuff over again.

timeshero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By timeshero

I played it both on 360 and the PC. I must admit, I had more fun with the 360. Playing with a keyboard has never been fun for me as games became more and more realistic (game play wise, eg. prone) The keyboard just doesn't make sense any more.

zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By zaglis

@TimesHero said:

I played it both on 360 and the PC. I must admit, I had more fun with the 360. Playing with a keyboard has never been fun for me as games became more and more realistic (game play wise, eg. prone) The keyboard just doesn't make sense any more.

Hahaha.

Wait, what?

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By jacdg

Kind of sucks, began to actually like it, still think you die too fast though.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jack268

And I'm fucking aching to fly more jets. Time for BF2.

timeshero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By timeshero

@zaglis: Mouse > Controller > Keyboard.

The mouse is great, but having to use a keyboard sucks.

∴ I would rather use a controller.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MikkaQ

@TimesHero said:

@zaglis: Mouse > Controller > Keyboard.

The mouse is great, but having to use a keyboard sucks.

∴ I would rather use a controller.

I'd say it depends on the game. BF3 for me has so much going on with changing firing modes, minimap sizes, crouching, going prone, that I need the keyboard buttons. Plus it's a shooter and those are better on a mouse. If this was a simpler 3rd person shooter I might agree with you.

Anyway beta's over. Kinda on the fence now. I know they'll improve the game, but the damage has been done. I'm just kinda soured on the whole BF3 experience. Also that web-based server browser is atrocious, so until they fix the game and give it an in-game server browser, my interest is severely diminished. 90% of my problems with the beta came out of the battlelog.

awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By awe_stuck

@Funkydupe said:

Did you have fun?

Yes.

@thornie said:

I'm kind of bummed our stats and unlocks won't carry over, but I guess it's only fair considering the amount of people who prestiged already. I'm going to miss that C4 unlock for support which took me forever to get.

With vehicles, unlocks are different. Stats would not be realistic. I do agree though.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By themangalist

Sold me on pre-ordering.

nick152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By nick152

Definitely getting it, BF3 > MW3

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @easthill said:

And I finally got the hang of jets an hour before the beta closed. Helicopters too. 

What did you think?
    TIEfighter77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TIEfighter77

@TimesHero said:

Weird. I switched over to mouse/keyboard because analog sticks swing too much for me on controller. I have been playing FPS games much better since. But I still play third person with controller on consoles. I loved the beta (minus bugs) and hate having to wait 2 weeks.

Oh well, it gives me time to finish Deus Ex.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Wacomole

One good thing about the beta ending... loads of people suddenly playing Bad Company 2.

Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
    Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn

Come home from work and all I want to play is Battlefield but I can't so I played Rage and go fucked over by it's stupid ass save system. Fuck that game!

I never got what the fascination with the jets was, I go to fly around in one for like 5 minutes, didn't see anything to shoot then crashed. I'd much rather be on the ground or in a tank.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By emem

Well, I really enjoyed the 2 maps we've been allowed to play on the PC and I think they are both great. Before playing the beta I wasn't sure about getting the game on day one, now I am. I'm going to wait until we know about the Steam situation before pre-ordering though.. I'd definitely prefer having it on Steam.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PillClinton

I enjoyed the beta quite a bit, and just want to play more. I wasn't really planning on buying it before, but I guess the beta sold me on it.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By scarace360

i hated metro but i loved Caspian it was really fun and the bombing run was great.

Hameyadea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hameyadea

I just hope that those god-awful Deadly Premonition-like glitches of players "forming" from the ground and then traveling at ultra-speeds, won't remain in the final product.

Zapbrader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Zapbrader

I honestly feel ashamed I only logged 3 hours and 45 minutes in the whole two week time period it was out. The Beta got me to put in my pre-order though.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Hitchenson

I was getting the game anyway. Thought Metro was kind of bollocks, but I play BF for the large scale vehicle/infantry combat and not to play CoD. I'm playing BF to avoid CoD. But Caspian? That is some straight up amazing BF. Holy shit, it's so good. I actually managed to get a jet a fair few times and didn't hang around waiting for it either, they're fun as hell to fly. Red Orchestra 2 will tide my online cravings over until this launches at least (and after because RO2 is so damn sick).

Avatar image for nocookiesforyou
    NoCookiesForYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By NoCookiesForYou

Really liked the beta aswell. I actually came to appreciate the whole server browser thing. All they need to do now is to fix those bugs.

Can't wait to play the finished product.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By chilibean_3

@Verb4tim: I'm really surprised that I ended up enjoying the browser experience. I took the time to actually play with what you can do and all the stats and info you can get into and ended up really liking what was going on there. I think it's going to end up really neat. Logging into Origin seems pretty pointless but it's not a big deal.

easthill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By easthill

@XII_Sniper said:

Anyway beta's over. Kinda on the fence now. I know they'll improve the game, but the damage has been done. I'm just kinda soured on the whole BF3 experience. Also that web-based server browser is atrocious, so until they fix the game and give it an in-game server browser, my interest is severely diminished. 90% of my problems with the beta came out of the battlelog.

I've yet to see a single good reason for the battlelog hate. Can I ask why it's atrocious?

@AhmadMetallic said:

@easthill said:

And I finally got the hang of jets an hour before the beta closed. Helicopters too.

What did you think?

Loved it. Didn't feel like BF2, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Couldn't bind any keys to my old Logitech Extreme 3D Pro™, but that's most likely a beta issue. Didn't get too many unlocks yet, so haven't tried A2A and A2G missiles or anything like that, but the cannon work wonders against enemy jets and helos. You feel very much more vulnerable in the air than you did in BF2, but that's good as the only danger a jet faced in BF2 was another jet... But it's a bit weird having to unlock flares...

I was originally a bit sour on the helicopters, but after a few rounds I've grown to like 'em. Haven't really gotten any unlocks with them, but they seem much more geared toward a hit and run tactic since they're so easy to shoot down. I do, however, want to be able to a barrel roll and some acrobatic shit - not as much as in BF2, but just something. Feels way to rigid and 'assisted' now.

But the jet's cannon flipping helicopters? That is bullshit.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Clonedzero

DICE was such dicks about it too lol.

"here's a map you're only mildly interested in. its decent, but doesnt play to battlefields strengths....oh you're losing interest and excitement? well here's an awesome huge conquest map for 2-3 days now buy our game!"

now i gotta buy their damn game

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MikkaQ

@easthill: Yeah, the interface is slow because it's web, games are difficult to get into, quitting the game, refreshing the page, loading up the executable and map every time I want to switch servers is amazingly slow and inconvenient, and for someone like me that might try 10-15 servers before finding one I like, it's a disaster.

Also the interface itself... not really well put together. Took me a while to find the filter options, and they were layed out awkwardly. Couple all that with the fact that I can't even change game setting until I'm IN a match, and you've got a recipe for constant frustration.

Plus a web-browser game interface? Maybe it's just me, but when I see those I temper my expectations, like it should be a free to play game like quake live or something. I don't really like the idea of paying for a game that exists only in a webbrowser. Too "cloudy" for me.

mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mesklinite

@Funkydupe said:

Did you have fun?

The game is amazing! I can't wait! The hit detection is so much better then previous BF's. With all the stuff they mentioned would be fixed in release, no flashlights during the day, working squad selection, private squads, terrain deformation, etc... it will be epic!

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33  Edited By Evilsbane

:( Damn they let everyone play Caspain border at the end? BAAHHH

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23
    deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JacDG said:

i agree.

I mean, my internet is stellar, but sometimes i would die instantly, and i would have to pump almost an entire magazine into an enemy(hitmarkers and all) before he would go down.

Shoddy netcode perhaps?

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mosdl

@chilibean_3 said:

@Verb4tim: I'm really surprised that I ended up enjoying the browser experience. I took the time to actually play with what you can do and all the stats and info you can get into and ended up really liking what was going on there. I think it's going to end up really neat. Logging into Origin seems pretty pointless but it's not a big deal.

My hope is that Origin helps Dice make patches faster, since they now have a easy way to update all the clients in one place.

thornie_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By thornie_delete

@easthill said:

@XII_Sniper said:

I've yet to see a single good reason for the battlelog hate. Can I ask why it's atrocious?

Agreed. Battlelog was one of my favorite things about the beta... /hides. According to my stats I logged 5 or 6th most time with the game amongst all of the users in the GBSQ and I never had ONE single issue or problem with battlelog. My games loaded super fast, it was elegant and super easy to use. I also loved alt+entering in and out of full screen while waiting for the maps to load.

easthill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By easthill

@XII_Sniper said:

Yeah, the interface is slow because it's web, games are difficult to get into, quitting the game, refreshing the page, loading up the executable and map every time I want to switch servers is amazingly slow and inconvenient, and for someone like me that might try 10-15 servers before finding one I like, it's a disaster.

In my experience it's lighting fast, because it's web. I'm usually in a game within 30 seconds of logging in to battlelog. That's faster than any other DICE browser I've tried. Frankly I think this is the best browser DICE has made, but that's not really saying much... DICE is also able to update the browser and make changes without the need to send out a patch, which could be a huge deal.

Couple all that with the fact that I can't even change game setting until I'm IN a match, and you've got a recipe for constant frustration.

This I can agree with, but at least in the retail version you don't have to spawn before changing settings. That's something, I guess...

Plus a web-browser game interface? Maybe it's just me, but when I see those I temper my expectations, like it should be a free to play game like quake live or something. I don't really like the idea of paying for a game that exists only in a webbrowser. Too "cloudy" for me.

I see how you feel, and I sorta agree. However, I think the pros outweigh the cons. Besides, in what other game can you 'Hooah!' someone?

easthill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By easthill

@Jethutysaid:

@JacDG said:

i agree.

I mean, my internet is stellar, but sometimes i would die instantly, and i would have to pump almost an entire magazine into an enemy(hitmarkers and all) before he would go down.

Shoddy netcode perhaps?

There was a bug causing bullets do to more damage than intended against moving targets.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@easthill said:

@Jethutysaid:

@JacDG said:

i agree.

Shoddy netcode perhaps?

There was a bug causing bullets do to more damage than intended against moving targets.

yeah, i saw they fixed it and i was aware of it, but did they didnt patch it in the beta right?

easthill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By easthill

@Jethuty: Nope, only in the retail version.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Three0neFive

That's a bummer, I just found out the Caspian servers were unlocked last night. :/

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@easthill said:

kay, figured as much.

What really bugged me was the way the jets was designed. Because of the countermeasures being unlocks, that means that anyone not playing Jets and getting the unlocks will be at such a disadvantage that its going to be near impossible to get them at all. You have no way to counter the missiles from either the other jets chasing you, or from the ground with the stingers.

imo the flares should be standard.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By mosdl

@Jethuty: the beta was so old it wasn't worth their time to patch it.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Akrid

They unlocked Caspian?! Damnit, I missed it.

ds8k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#45  Edited By ds8k

@RiotBananas said:

I enjoyed the 10 minutes I played before my PC decided it was too much for it. @TimesHero: Kind of agree with you in the sense that I too struggle enjoying using a keyboard for anything over than movement. I often find myself fumbling for the prone button, any time I have to take my eyes off the screen to look for a button on my keyboard is time lost and maybe a life lost.

If you don't know the keys on your keyboard you probably shouldn't be playing PC games. It's no different than memorizing the buttons on your controller.

easthill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By easthill

@Jethuty said:

@easthill said:

kay, figured as much.

What really bugged me was the way the jets was designed. Because of the countermeasures being unlocks, that means that anyone not playing Jets and getting the unlocks will be at such a disadvantage that its going to be near impossible to get them at all. You have no way to counter the missiles from either the other jets chasing you, or from the ground with the stingers.

imo the flares should be standard.

I only needed two rounds before I unlocked flares. By having the flares as unlocks it forces players to actually learn the planes instead of heading straight to the enemy airfield and dropping bombs. Hopefully this will lead to less people camping the airfield and crashing their plane ten seconds after takeoff. It's also much easier to shake someone since you don't have access to all the camera angles you did in BF2.

I have yet to get shot down by a stinger, since the fighters are so weak against ground targets, you really have no business getting within lock on range. And you survive one hit. As soon as you hear the beep it's time to get the hell out of dodge.

Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Agent47

@zaglis said:

@TimesHero said:

Hahaha.

Wait, what?

I dunno sometimes I prefer the PC for the graphics boost and mouse precision but I go back to the 360/PS3 alot because the controller feels better.It feels more fun I'd say, the squeezing of triggers acts like pressing one on a gun and the vibration from explosions and gun shots feels satisfying even after all these years.Though if you've never played a console I understand.

ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ericdrum

@XII_Sniper: I actually prefer the web UI now, especially for the party aspect that persists even between reboots. The BC2 in game server refresh and sorting was slower than the BF3 browser version. And really, once the game comes out and you've played a bit, you should have a DEEP favorite servers list and constantly browsing for new servers should be non existent.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @easthill said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@easthill said:

What did you think?

Loved it. Didn't feel like BF2, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Couldn't bind any keys to my old Logitech Extreme 3D Pro™, but that's most likely a beta issue. Didn't get too many unlocks yet, so haven't tried A2A and A2G missiles or anything like that, but the cannon work wonders against enemy jets and helos. You feel very much more vulnerable in the air than you did in BF2, but that's good as the only danger a jet faced in BF2 was another jet... But it's a bit weird having to unlock flares...

Don't you think they're a little too vulnerable? stingers locking on you as fast as they do on UAV's in Modern Warfare? your plane crashing and burning under 50% health?  

I was originally a bit sour on the helicopters, but after a few rounds I've grown to like 'em. Haven't really gotten any unlocks with them, but they seem much more geared toward a hit and run tactic since they're so easy to shoot down. I do, however, want to be able to a barrel roll and some acrobatic shit - not as much as in BF2, but just something. Feels way to rigid and 'assisted' now.

But the jet's cannon flipping helicopters? That is bullshit.

Yep, auto stabilization really killed any chance helis have to be agile and maneuverable.. They feel like they're tied to the ground with strings. 
    What cannon flipping? 
    zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By zaglis

@Agent47 said:

@zaglis said:

@TimesHero said:

Hahaha.

Wait, what?

I dunno sometimes I prefer the PC for the graphics boost and mouse precision but I go back to the 360/PS3 alot because the controller feels better.It feels more fun I'd say, the squeezing of triggers acts like pressing one on a gun and the vibration from explosions and gun shots feels satisfying even after all these years.Though if you've never played a console I understand.

Oh no. I have played a lot of Xbox 360 shooters. Never enjoyed fully it. The slow, input lagged and imprecise controls ruins everything for me, the squeez or vibrations dont add anything.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.