Betterfield

• 54 results
#1 Posted by bwmcmaste (837 posts) -

I just finished my first real playthrough of this extraordinary game's multiplayer (ten hours or so), and I feel quite satisfied with the overall experience. Excluding any mention of single player or graphics, what features would you add to BF3's multiplayer to make it better?

For my part, I would like some means of finding players with microphones, like myself. I play on the PS3, and I've always found the dead silence of my squadmates to detract from the experience.

#2 Posted by Giacomito (208 posts) -

I would like the ability to be more than 4 people going into the same server together.

Right now you can only be 4 people in a squad (which is fine for in-game) but I would like to see an increase to 12 (the number of a team) so that you could fill a whole team with your friends. I really dont see a reason for just allowing you to go into a match with a squad instead of a whole team made up of squads

#3 Posted by Cymatics (90 posts) -

The joining with friends haven't been an issue for me, since we at least can join with 8 people at once on PC. The thing I'd like to see is 6 man squads I guess. Maybe make spawn ONLY on squad leader back, but it's int he server options, so not really an issue either, so I guess 6 man squads is it for me!

#4 Edited by Rockanomics (1150 posts) -

Less distractions.

Friggin chat window is like a 1/4 of the screen, and there have been so many times when a big hud element like a teammate or objective indicator is sitting right in the spot where I'm trying to see if there's a damn enemy about to kill me or not.

I also wish the kill indicators were a little snappier, getting fast kill streaks can be confusing. Also the bipods need to be more freely deployable.

Oh yeah, and I wish the game didn't constantly lock-up and crash, but that could be on my end, I guess.

#5 Posted by Twisted_Scot (1175 posts) -

The ability to invite and play as a proper squad. For a game that is pretty much all about the Mp this has to be one of the worst for options when it comes to playing with friends (Xbox version). After you find and invite a friend there is no notification on the main screen to tell you that they are in your squad, you HAVE to be looking in the squad manage screen but OK whatever. So say that for once the servers are up and running AND somehow you manage to get into one with your 3 friends why is it that they seem to always split you up into different squads in game? i mean there are emtpy squads but instead of putting you all in teh same one it spilts you up. Then theres the problem that you can leave a squad but I cant see any way for you to pick which one you join next. I like BF3 Mp as a game, but seriously I cant think of an MP game of this scale and recognition that is quite a terribly setup as this game. What have DICE / EA learned in almost a decade? Why is it that every time they release a BF game its plaugued with the same old issues. Loving the game but hating DICE / EA.

#6 Posted by AlexW00d (6180 posts) -

@Zakihashi said:

The joining with friends haven't been an issue for me, since we at least can join with 8 people at once on PC. The thing I'd like to see is 6 man squads I guess. Maybe make spawn ONLY on squad leader back, but it's int he server options, so not really an issue either, so I guess 6 man squads is it for me!

Hey dude it could happen now, I was rolling in a squad of 5 the other day, was awesome.

#7 Posted by Brodehouse (9576 posts) -

He lies and says he's in love with it/Can't find a Betterfield

#8 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I would make the PC version have 6-man squads, and be able to pick which squad you want to be in manually in-game. I'm not sure if you can do it it Battlelog, but it is so damned annoying trying to play with someone and not being able to manually join up in the same squad. I'd make the chat window better, it is too big and in the weirdest fucking place ever. It also needs to appear when you press j, k, or l to type something in case you missed someone saying something.

#9 Posted by Cymatics (90 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

@Zakihashi said:

Hey dude it could happen now, I was rolling in a squad of 5 the other day, was awesome.

Yeah, it bugs up sometimes, even up to six people. But, until we can do it in a decent way, I'm not happy!

@xobballox said:

I would make the PC version have 6-man squads, and be able to pick which squad you want to be in manually in-game. I'm not sure if you can do it it Battlelog, but it is so damned annoying trying to play with someone and not being able to manually join up in the same squad. I'd make the chat window better, it is too big and in the weirdest fucking place ever. It also needs to appear when you press j, k, or l to type something in case you missed someone saying something.

You can pick what squad you wanna be in. It's pretty simple, just press Esc and go to Squad and Team, and Look at the button called Leave Squad, then you can make a new one, if it's some that aren't people in, or join one already there. The 6 man thing is something I really want as well.

#10 Edited by ericdrum (404 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

He lies and says he's in love with it/Can't find a Betterfield

I hate that I understood your joke.

The 6 man squad would have a huge effect on the game and it would be detrimental in the end. A good 4 man squad is already tough enough when they squad spawn rape, but 6? That's pretty much unstoppable. You would always have 1 guy alive, thus you could never wipe a squad and force them to return.

#11 Posted by tekmojo (2299 posts) -

More boats and flippy floppys.

#12 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

@xobballox said:

Leave squad,then join any squad. The button for joining is hidden at the bottom for some reason.

To make the game better - nerf mortars, they are overpowered on some maps. And fix lag on 64 conquest caspian/Tehran.

#13 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Innovation with the Spawn System erradicating cheap kills/death on spawning into the game, at least when spawning at a capture point/default spawn.

#14 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@mosdl:

You show up on the minimap instantly after firing a shell. Get killed by a mortar? Spawn with mortar and proceed to getting free kills.

#15 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

@mosdl: Huh, I only saw a Leave Squad and Join Squad button, with the Join Squad (or something like that) button putting me in a random squad. I'll check this out next time, thanks!

#16 Edited by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

@bwmcmaste: It needs a way to pick your camo set faster or to save your preferred choice, going customize appearance browse camo every single game is not convenient.

Anyway I share your opinion, I'm very happy with the game I'm sure I'm going to be playing it for a loooong time.

#17 Posted by bwmcmaste (837 posts) -

@ericdrum said:

The 6 man squad would have a huge effect on the game and it would be detrimental in the end. A good 4 man squad is already tough enough when they squad spawn rape, but 6? That's pretty much unstoppable. You would always have 1 guy alive, thus you could never wipe a squad and force them to return.

Excellent point. I find that the squad system works quite well in BF3. Now if I could just find somebody to drop a damned ammo box/revive me/fix my tank, instead of just running past after they spawn off me.

#18 Posted by Mirado (990 posts) -

Netcode that doesn't induce Quake 3 levels of hilarious rubberbanding.

It happens pretty rarely to me, but holy shit is it unplayable when it sets in.

#19 Posted by Wuddel (2079 posts) -

After having come to terms with the jet controls, really only the net code sticks out.

#20 Posted by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

I agree with with the squad limit complaint. I dislike being only allowed to play with 3 friends at a time, and most of the time it splits us up in game and on different teams, and does nothing to auto correct after the match is over and people leave. Fix that.

Introduce a tutorial in the "Extras" menu that teaches players how to properly use vehicles. I'm tired of some dude flying in the jet that only crashes in to the ground.

#21 Edited by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

@bwmcmaste: I'm a pretty good engineer when it comes to fixing stuff. If you play on the 360 I would like to play with a squad member who actually tries to help me out.

@Arker101: I would really appreciate that. I can't fly any of the air vehicles in game and even in Battlefield BC2 I wasn't able to learn how.

I really wish I could though because it looks like a blast.

@Seppli: I agree.

Also, kill the campers :P

That wouldn't be fair though and I only say it because they aggravate me personally.

#22 Posted by hoossy (932 posts) -

as said before, the hud is WAAAYYYY too distracting. Particularly when I'm within range of a flag and that icon gets right up in my face. I know for a fact it has gotten me killed more than one time. Just throw the flag indicator off the to the side of the screen.

#23 Posted by Humanity (8800 posts) -

I'd like them to change the TUGS back to the incredibly useful and probably overpowered sonar ball things from Bad Company 2.

Also fix the spawn beacon placement or at least remove the laying animation when you CAN'T place it. I'm tired of dying because I'm running with the beacon out and I'm trying to lay it down and he sets it down then WOOP back in my hands - over and over again until I get shot.

#24 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

I think squads on PC should be a little larger on 64 player servers. You could coordinate deadlier attacks that way. Like 5 or 6 players instead of 4.

#25 Edited by Swoxx (2988 posts) -

Bigger squads without a doubt, I almost exclusively play with 5-6 friends at the same time and there's always some of us out of the main squad, it really sucks.

Also, two person jets, like BF2 had, please EA, please.

#26 Edited by Donos (1193 posts) -

@Swoxx I kinda suspect the squad size will be configurable server-side at some point. I've already seen the option to spawn on 8 or so people at once, changing the size of the squad itself feels like a related function.

#27 Posted by Herocide (440 posts) -

Let me go to the menu during killcams.

#28 Posted by kelbear (496 posts) -

@Herocide said:

This. This. This. A million times this.

#29 Posted by tekmojo (2299 posts) -
@kelbear said:

@Herocide said:

This. This. This. A million times this.

Hell yea...and let me free look on the kill cam instead of having a fixed camera.
#30 Posted by Humanity (8800 posts) -

@Herocide said:

and show me squadmate cam instead of just dots on the map so that I don't spawn in the middle of a clusterfuck

#31 Posted by Cootsnoop (39 posts) -

I never use mics for any multiplayer games. And I figured I would use it for this game cause of the squads dynamic but I also cant find anyone else that uses the mic so I haven't really found much of an incentive to dig mine out of whatever drawer I have it in.

#32 Posted by Feikken (221 posts) -

has anyone mentioned car horns?

Because there are NO car horns in this battlefield game which, in my opinion, makes this an inferior battlefield experience!!

#33 Posted by vonFlampanker (327 posts) -

Some really good suggestions in here. The one I came to post was covered: the annoying chat window. I didn't notice it in the Beta but you're right in that it's an unacceptable amount of screen space. I don't mind it being the default but let me set the size and/or opacity or turn the thing off entirely. 99% of the time I don't care at all what people are saying.

The squad conversation is interesting and I hadn't thought about the higher number leading to an unkillable squad. I find Battlefield games the hardest to chain kills in, so dealing with a six-person squad would be a pretty difficult task. If the issue apart from spawning is keeping friends together in-game (I have about 8 regular BF3 playing friends, we all like to be on the same team if possible) isn't that what the Platoon system should be used for? "Yes you can all stay together but no, you can only spawn on these three." As it stands I have very little idea what the Platoon system is being used for.

I've got a lot of issues with the design of Battlelog, but I'm a web designer and I'm aware that I'm super picky.

I like the per-gun unlock system but I wish I didn't have to go three or four levels deep to spec out the gun. I always feel like I'm missing playing time drilling into menus to change loadouts mid-game. Just put another level of choice to the chosen gun on the squad/deploy screen. Hire me, I'll design that for you.

As mentioned by @seppli I'm sick of spawning into grenades and bullets. I feel a little cheap when someone spawns into my crosshairs. I take the kill, but I feel cheap about it.

How hard would it have been to build in a plane/heli trainer? Just an option to spawn an empty level to let people practice.

As with BFBC2 I find the spotting/set point mechanic is unreliable at best. I'd use it more if i didn't get killed so often hammering on the button wondering why the target isn't lighting up.

A lot of my other issues are with game etiquette and not developer-related. Sick of people driving away in empty vehicles. Sick of people treating the game like some sort of glorified IRC.

All told, it's an excellent game and i'm having fun with it. Always room for improvement, though.

#34 Posted by Grilledcheez (3943 posts) -

I just want them to fix quick match and let us join games as a squad better (and on the same team)...aka fix the 360 version. I agree with the mics but the opposite, the guy beatboxing nonstop earlier annoyed me!

#35 Posted by Giantstalker (1529 posts) -
  • In game map needs to be much bigger and clearer
  • Chat window is way too big and obscures a lot of space on the screen
  • Ability to join specific squads in-game
  • Menu access during killcams
  • The M224 mortar needs to be rebalanced, ASAP - coming from someone who uses it
  • Scout choppers staying whole after getting exploded on the ground, I see this glitch once in a while, kind of hard to describe
  • Quick match doesn't work at all, at least for me, haven't used it tons though
  • And after playing on many different servers, on multiple computers and networks, the 64-player netcode needs a bit of work
  • Graphically, the bullet feed on the .50 HMGs is off

I could think of more, but honestly the biggest ones have already been said in this thread. The Map, the Killcam stuff, user interface in general. Otherwise I love the game

#36 Posted by bwmcmaste (837 posts) -

@Giantstalker said:

• In game map needs to be much bigger and clearer
  • Chat window is way too big and obscures a lot of space on the screen
  • Ability to join specific squads in-game
  • Menu access during killcams
  • The M224 mortar needs to be rebalanced, ASAP - coming from someone who uses it
  • Scout choppers staying whole after getting exploded on the ground, I see this glitch once in a while, kind of hard to describe
  • Quick match doesn't work at all, at least for me, haven't used it tons though
  • And after playing on many different servers, on multiple computers and networks, the 64-player netcode needs a bit of work
  • Graphically, the bullet feed on the .50 HMGs is off

I could think of more, but honestly the biggest ones have already been said in this thread. The Map, the Killcam stuff, user interface in general. Otherwise I love the game

Great points! I especially agree with the squad situation. Since I generally have no friends online, I find it hard to get into a decent squad; this is compounded by the fact that I often join games where I am the odd man out of the squad situation.

#37 Posted by SaNdMuNkEy (38 posts) -

A colour blind mode would be the main thing, i'm sick and tired of wasting ammo on teammates... and quad bikes!

#38 Posted by bwmcmaste (837 posts) -

@SaNdMuNkEy said:

A colour blind mode would be the main thing, i'm sick and tired of wasting ammo on teammates... and quad bikes!

I remember that they had this in BF2: Modern Combat, so it can certainly be done.

#39 Posted by SaNdMuNkEy (38 posts) -

@bwmcmaste: Yeah, I can't imagine it being difficult to implement. Developers should be forced to include customisation for controls and colour blind options in every game, it makes huge differences to the people that need it.

#40 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

I find the friendly identification markers to be a little small and a little late to pop up occasionally.

#41 Edited by Xdsk (268 posts) -

Fix the spotting, time and time again I hear the audio cue for a spotted target but nothing appears on the screen/map.

Mentioned already but give me the option to look around the squad member before i spawn on them, granted when you are talking to your squad this isn't needed.

Improve tank shell damage versus infantry

Improve tank physics. If im in a tank i want to be able to drive over a small rock or car, also i find the tanks sliding/moving of their own accord on any slightly slanted surface.

Improve the ability to see mines. I understand they should be difficult to see, but there is no way (ive found) of detecting them.

Alter some damage numbers on helicopters and jets (again related to tanks) If i manage to hit a jet/helicopter with a tank shell it should outright destroy it, not put it into a vehicle disabled state.

Other than those few points and a few wacky hit detection instances(which im blaming on poor connection) im really enjoying shooting people in the face online.

#42 Posted by Feikken (221 posts) -

A tried and true method to not TK in Battlefield games: Remember if you're wearing light or dark camo!

This takes about a half dozen games to get used to, but it's a sound method and has treated me well in Hardcore servers in all the battlefield games

#43 Posted by Xeiphyer (5594 posts) -

Shitty lag spikes and bad netcode need to be fixed.

Anyone who flies jets with any regularity knows how fucking insane it is to get hit with some lag while flying.

#44 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

Server queue.

Jetpacks.

Dinosaurs.

Nudity.

To be better at the game.

#45 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1552 posts) -

More ineptitude in helicopter pilots. More crashing air vehicles is always a plus in my books.

#46 Posted by big_jon (5709 posts) -

This game is bad in more than a few ways.

#47 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

@big_jon said:

What are your complaints? =/

#48 Posted by big_jon (5709 posts) -

@Barrock said:

@big_jon said:

I'll make a list later, it's pretty big.

But mainly, poor maps, poor balance, and just plain lag all the time.

#49 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

@big_jon said:

@Barrock said:

@big_jon said:

I'll make a list later, it's pretty big.

But mainly, poor maps, poor balance, and just plain lag all the time.

The first one I cannot dispute. If you don't like the maps, you don't like the maps. I haven't encountered any balance problems, however I've only played on the Giant Bomb server. And I've experienced very little to zero lag. Again, I've only played on the Giantbomb server.

#50 Posted by big_jon (5709 posts) -

@Xdsk said:

Fix the spotting, time and time again I hear the audio cue for a spotted target but nothing appears on the screen/map.

Mentioned already but give me the option to look around the squad member before i spawn on them, granted when you are talking to your squad this isn't needed.

Improve tank shell damage versus infantry

Improve tank physics. If im in a tank i want to be able to drive over a small rock or car, also i find the tanks sliding/moving of their own accord on any slightly slanted surface.

Improve the ability to see mines. I understand they should be difficult to see, but there is no way (ive found) of detecting them.

Alter some damage numbers on helicopters and jets (again related to tanks) If i manage to hit a jet/helicopter with a tank shell it should outright destroy it, not put it into a vehicle disabled state.

Other than those few points and a few wacky hit detection instances(which im blaming on poor connection) im really enjoying shooting people in the face online.

My main issue with tanks is that the Heavy tanks have the same fucking armour as the light ones, it really bugs me, and is super un balanced.

But the tanks are very effective, they don't need a buff in my eyes, I just watch the Heavy tanks to be the heavy tanks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.