BF3 finally a complete game

#1 Edited by Feikken (226 posts) -
#2 Posted by AuthenticM (4243 posts) -

They are not fixing the input lag on PS3. Battlefield 3 is still a piece of shit game.

#3 Posted by Grimey (20 posts) -

I second that! Thanks for alerting me to the good news.

#4 Edited by Arker101 (1484 posts) -

MAV can no longer roadkill. Recon is totally useless to me now, meanwhile claymores stay on for a few seconds after the person who put them there dies.

GG DICE.

#5 Posted by xdaknightx69 (480 posts) -

@AuthenticM: maybe the PS3 is a piece of shit console, did u think of that? lol

#6 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8734 posts) -
@Arker101 said:

MAV can no longer roadkill. Recon is totally useless to me now, meanwhile claymores stay on for a few seconds after the person who put them there dies.

GG DICE.

Lame, roadkilling snipers with the MAV was the best fun I had in the entire game.
#7 Posted by Chris2KLee (2392 posts) -

Gonna be honking it up all match long!

#8 Edited by Canteu (2863 posts) -

@Arker101: As opposed to them staying there forever?

You should be using C4 anyway. Claymores are a super selfish way to play.

Crouch walk you so hard...

#9 Edited by Arker101 (1484 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong: Exactly, you could hardly kill soldiers that were actually moving and using cover with it. It worked best on the oblivious crane snipers. Which were the ones who were complaining about it, I assume.

@Canteu: No, I'm saying that claymores should instantly despawn when their placer gets killed. I ONLY use C4 when I play support. I only whip out Mortars when there's 3+ Mortars on the other team.

#10 Posted by Pie (7214 posts) -

Can you customise said horn?

#11 Posted by Canteu (2863 posts) -

@Arker101: Oh I see. Well I apologise :p

I assumed you were talking about Support, since that is the only class that can deploy claymores.

Despawning instantly would lead to less battlefield moments though. If i strap up a tank, and die without detonating (i.e. fail like a girly man), then some nutter shoots a rocket at the tank, and it didnt explode all over the place, i'd be kinda sad.

They havn't removed the MAV kill, you can simply get one. Unless you're sat on a supply box of course.

Crouch walk that asshole who isn't you so hard...

#12 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8734 posts) -
@Arker101: I suppose so.

Its not fair that they can snipe the fuck out of my team and rack up an easy win and I can knock em off their perch with my MAV anymore :(
No amount of jeep horns can make that better!
#13 Posted by Tennmuerti (8236 posts) -

Some really good stuff here:

-Players should no longer take fall damage from short falls.

Awesome, I lost count of stupid deaths like this when falling half a metre.

-Players now get up from Prone slightly faster

Superb.

-Increased the spawn protection time from 1sec to 2sec. The protection will still be immediately canceled as soon as the player moves or shoots.

-Spawn protection will no longer be canceled by the player looking around.

Well fuck. No more spwn rape on Kargh island TDM :( That's like half my kills! NOT FAIR

-Switching from primary weapons to sidearms and back now takes less time.

FUCK YES. thank you thank you thank you, finally sidearms will actually be usefull to pull out when you run out of ammo, instead of being a guaranteed death sentence (on PC)

-Increased the effectiveness of explosive resistance.

I'll take it.

-The bipod should now be more reliable when deploying on top of sloped objects like cars and rocks.

Here's hoping. I'm tired of having to almost always redeploy the bipod a second time.

-Unguided tank rounds and RPGs will now instantly destroy Jets, Attack Helicopters, and Scout Helicopters.

MUAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!! oh yes, yes my precious, as a habitual tankwhore nothing could make me happier

-Increased the damage the MBT's primary weapon does to the front and side armor of other main battle tanks. Primarily this means 1 less shot to the front, and very good hits to the side can result in a 1 hit to disable.

Tank on Tank violence just got real. Finally some real use for that extra armor.

-Increased the damage done by TOW weapons to armored vehicles.

This was severely needed as they were basically useless before. As a habitual tank whore I don't mind this change. /nod

-Fixed a problem when locking on to two nearby targets, the locking should no longer jump rapidly between multiple targets. This applies to all locking weapons and Laser Designators.

Thank fucking god for that.

-Laser Guided missiles can now be distracted by Flares.

Well that's just dumb. So they pretty much just removed the only counter to good pilots. Now Air will rape even more and not even Soflam+Javelin teamwork of 2+ people will be able to take them down.... what the fuck...

Aaaaand what follows points even more to air rape. Well now I know to just quit servers when there are decent pilots around. Thank you dice

-The IGLA and Stinger now lock on much more quickly and disable an attack aircraft in 1 hit, but have significantly reduced range. This should allow Stingers to mount an effective close range point defense, without dominating an entire airspace.

Ha, nice bullshit, even now pilots can just move out of range after using flares once. This makes it even easier to do GG

More buffs to helicoptters after that. WOW. No buffs to mobile AA lock on range but buffs to heli acuracy and lock ranges ... how does one even come to this conclusion? Currently all an attack chopper has to do is rise above lock range and they can anihilate mobile AA from a safe distance where it can't do shit. Below radar works with everything now, joy. Sorry but all I see is air rape in the BF3 future (conquest/rush).

-Increased the Speed at which a bipod is deployed, allowing the user to obtain the bipod's bonus sooner after the deploy has started and allowing the weapon to be aimed in a far shorter time. The speed has been increased 40-50%, depending on the weapon and animation.

Good stuff.

Also rational changes to all the attachments. Good to see some nerfs to grip/silencer and buffs to flash suppresor.

-The MAV can no longer be used as an elevator.

-C4 will no longer be detonable after a player respawns, if the player is revived within 5 seconds he can still detonate his C4.

-Claymores now live up to 5 seconds after a player dies, the player can have a max 2 claymores planted at the same time.

#14 Posted by Karlif (47 posts) -

No more using MAV as an elevator! There is a god. Fucking asshole snipers sitting on rooftops that are unreachable is such a pain in the ass.

#15 Posted by Canteu (2863 posts) -

@Karlif: Right, but with the more responsive parachute controls, they'll just use the spawn beacon to 'chute into those shitty places all the same.

And it will be harder to get rid of them with a 1 mav kill limit.

#16 Posted by Arker101 (1484 posts) -

@Canteu: I completely agree that C4 should last longer after you die, but claymores shouldn't. Claymores are motion detonated where as C4 is manually detonated. Supports are campy enough as it is. I want to see more tanks being blown up instead of claymore icons sitting on my minimap for the entire game. Of course the point of the supports role is to lock down an area, but I'm still tired of walking into any building and never not crouch walking.

@TaliciaDragonsong:

Are you playing PC version? Recons on consoles never rack up kills. The only useful Recons I found either used the MAV to help their teammates flank the enemy, but then that got patched to where 3-D spotting only occurred if you already had line of sight, (Making the MAV Captain Obvious) or they teamed up with an engineer to SOFLAM + JAVELIN all enemy vehicles, but now flares stop that too. I feel as though DICE just wants the Recons to sit up on a crane with the TUGS doing nothing.

#17 Posted by Tennmuerti (8236 posts) -

@Arker101: Recon on console can actually do much much better then on PC due to most console players not being quite as agile in movement and more predictible. I regularly watch my little brother play BF3 on the 360 and rack up sniper kills, consistently topping tdm/rush charts.

#18 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8734 posts) -
@Arker101: I played on Xbox360, Support class.
I had fun times but the game is too focused on teamwork and the only one I could count on was my cousin when we played together.

Game is insane fun, but the lack of teams (or willingness to play as a team) just killed it for me.
Add in snipers, campers and me always against groups who do work together...ugh.

So I just gave up on war shooters and went back to my rpg's <3.
#19 Edited by Arker101 (1484 posts) -

@Tennmuerti: It's still a rarity for me to find competent Bolt Action Recons, and even then they aren't defending or anything, they're just watching out for players that don't utilize cover or walk out in the open. Which is great if you'r playing TDM or are on Defense on Rush.

I understand that the nature of the Sniper is to sit on a hill and pick dudes off, but it seems as though DICE is patching the game in way to weaken aggressive and team oriented recon players.

I enjoyed staying just behind my team and supporting them with a MAV to let them know where campers were and my EMR to help dispatch enemies, but now the MAV is only as useful as how many teammates have a headset that can hear me say "dude around the corner with claymores!" Which if you're playing solo on XBL is zero people.

EDIT: If you add "MCS" to my post count you get an overpowered shotty!

#20 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1547 posts) -

Yes, horns are direly needed. They also need to make the medic say things when throwing med packs down. And take away the additional vehicles that were never on the original maps in the Back to Karkand maps, and make it so the machine gunner on tanks is exposed.

#21 Posted by AhmadMetallic (19303 posts) -

It's a shame riding MAVs is no longer a thing. I'm not a sniper, but I love the snipers who exploit the game and reach unreachable places. Makes it such a fun challenge to pursue and murder them. 

Glad about the horns, let's hope for a commo rose update too. 

#22 Posted by Christoffer (2021 posts) -

Looking good. That revive bug have been annoying like hell lately, being a medic.

Other than that, every vehicle should be able to honk. I want a honking jet plane right now.

#23 Edited by Tennmuerti (8236 posts) -

@Arker101: I kind of agree. I deleted my second paragraph in the earlier reply. The way I see it is that it's harder on consoles to become a good sniper, compared to the PC where a mouse allows an avarage joe to be a decent sniper. BUT once you do get into the higher levels of sniping the console sniper will have a much better success then the PC sniper. Personally i frequently find myself playing recon on Rush attack to keep the spawn beacon as close to the objectives as possible. And on D keeping out objectives under motion sensor observation.

Overall I think my biggest problem with the patch is that DICE did not increase the points a recon player gets for SOFLAM use. I can spend an entire match soflaming the shit out of everything having pretty much a target lock 95% of the time and still do completely shit scorewise even on a 64 player PC server getting like 1k points at the end of a match. People on PC actually cooperate a lot even random dudes, but the shit points you get for SOFLAM really kills any desire to use it for the sake of the team.

Edit: at least they are fixing the multiple lock on problem, so tired of having the soflam pointed directly at a helicopter and have a random fucking jeep ride by at the edge of my vision and break the lock

#24 Posted by Arker101 (1484 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong: That's why I wanted things such as the MAV to work well without having to get a dedicated team to help out. Now it's only useful if you can actually talk to people and tell them where dudes are, and the chances of finding randoms with headsets, good manners, and skills? On Xbox?Yeah right. The "Flares work against Soflam" patches are going to make aircraft far more powerful then they already were. So Heli-Spawn Killing is going to be even more of an occurrance.

This patch killed any hope I have of playing this game without a full squad of friends. So we're both going to be playing some other games for a while.

#25 Posted by SSully (4581 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: Agreed. Its very annoying trying to ask support classes for ammo.

#26 Posted by Bucketdeth (8231 posts) -

@AuthenticM said:

They are not fixing the input lag on PS3. Battlefield 3 is still a piece of shit game.

#27 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1547 posts) -

I also want a CVAR that disables the spotting system.

#28 Posted by Tennmuerti (8236 posts) -

@SSully said:

@AhmadMetallic: Agreed. Its very annoying trying to ask support classes for ammo.

Press Q while looking at support? It requests ammo by default when you have some used up.

#29 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6863 posts) -

Beep beep, mothafuckas!

#30 Posted by SSully (4581 posts) -

@Tennmuerti said:

@SSully said:

Press Q while looking at support? It requests ammo by default when you have some used up.

It doesn't work all the time, and it isn't very useful when you are with a tight squad in a building because it sometimes targets the wrong guy. It was much easier in BF2 to ask for whatever you wanted with the radial menu.

#31 Posted by evilrazer (533 posts) -

Goddammit, I've been waiting for this very update from the very beginning. I'm gonna effin roll now!

#32 Posted by Tennmuerti (8236 posts) -

@SSully said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@SSully said:

It doesn't work all the time, and it isn't very useful when you are with a tight squad in a building because it sometimes targets the wrong guy. It was much easier in BF2 to ask for whatever you wanted with the radial menu.

/shrug

I really never had this problem, just pointed at a guy and pressed Q, presto ammo request

#33 Edited by evilrazer (533 posts) -

And it made my heli skills much more deadly than ever before!!!

#34 Posted by Bones8677 (3357 posts) -

@Feikken said:

Here are some patch notes for the upcoming BF3 update for all platforms: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/news/view/2832654779195992365//

Here's is the reason to celebrate and pump both of your fists in furious excitement!!: -Added Horns to all Jeeps.

you guys have no idea how happy this makes me

I misunderstood that Horns to jeeps part. I initially pictured big Steer Horns on the front bumpers like some Texas Oil Tycoon would on his car. Now I'm disappointed.

#35 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4569 posts) -

@Tennmuerti said:

@Arker101: Recon on console can actually do much much better then on PC due to most console players not being quite as agile in movement and more predictible. I regularly watch my little brother play BF3 on the 360 and rack up sniper kills, consistently topping tdm/rush charts.

I disagree, sure aiming is alot better on a KB\M but movement is miles behind a Controller, Analog > Digital

#36 Posted by AhmadMetallic (19303 posts) -
@Sparky_Buzzsaw said:

Beep beep, mothafuckas!

Battlefield right there.
#37 Edited by Sooty (8195 posts) -

Big ass fucking patch notes. I love big ass fucking patch notes.

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Tennmuerti said:

I disagree, sure aiming is alot better on a KB\M but movement is miles behind a Controller, Analog > Digital

"Miles behind"

Not really, the only thing PC movement lacks is being able to control how fast you move forwards (though, you can toggle run/walk), that to me is really not miles behind bro. (and it's not even remotely a big deal for any games)

#38 Edited by MrKlorox (11142 posts) -

I thought some of these things were supposed to have been fixed already. But holy crap that list is huge. I only got through the general gameplay fixes section so far, but I like basically everything I've seen. I'm excited.

edit: "-Zooming shotguns with Buckshot and Flechette loads will now result in a slightly tighter cone for the pellets." Alright, now that's pretty stupid.

edit2: @Sooty said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Tennmuerti said:

"Miles behind" Not really, the only thing PC movement lacks is being able to control how fast you move forwards (though, you can toggle run/walk), that to me is really not miles behind bro. (and it's not even remotely a big deal for any games)

Actually lining up a shot just right inside a sliver in the environment (such as between two shipping crates or a crack in a barrier) is a bit tougher with all digital movement. You always move too far or not far enough with each feathered tap of a key. This is where the analog stick on my keyboard comes in handy. Also creeping around in close quarters with the enemy is much better with an analog stick since your footfalls are slower and less obvious. Sure it's not "miles behind" but it's not directly on par either.
#39 Posted by big_jon (6096 posts) -

I like most of the changes, can't wait to try the new choppers out.

#40 Posted by Tennmuerti (8236 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Tennmuerti said:

I'm not arguing which mode of movement is better control wise. (i actually prefer analog stick movement myself in action games)

All i'm saying is how it is in the game from about a hundred hours of observation of players on both platforms. People on the 360 usually take their sweet time dodging, changing directions. On PC people are far more aware that standing still is asking for a bullet in the head and are much more active in their overall movement when out of cover. Wheather it has to do with controller method or as simple as people on the 360 being just plain worse (on avarage, not talking about individual skill here) i don't care.

#41 Posted by Canteu (2863 posts) -

@Tennmuerti: It's not the people that turn slowly, it's the controller.

I play with full sensitivity on pretty much every game, but in battlefield lets say you're chasing somebody through a door. If you stop to look left to see if anyone else is there, the dude going right gets away.

On pc, you just flick the mouse to the left and you've checked in less than a second.

This is my only issue with controllers, however I much prefer it to mouse and keyboard.

I must be one of the rare people who own the game on both, and take the 360 version every time.

#42 Posted by bwmcmaste (889 posts) -

Wonderful update! That MAV roadkill thing was getting a bit tiresome.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.