BF3 - Strike at Karkand

• 61 results
#1 Edited by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

I had hopes and suspicions for a chance to go Frostbite 2.0 on Strike at Karkand  and it seems like DICE will be delivering even sooner than I anticipated. According to a forum post, relayed via Kotaku, the Limited Edition will come with Strike at Karkand and for the rest, it will be available for purchase a month later. Worth noting is that it will apparently be a full pack with the weapons and vehicles from BF2 for that specific map. Whether this information is true or not, I'll leave unsaid. But DICE are known for rebooting old maps into their new games so I feel confident it's true.

Which leaves me this question:

What map from any game in the Battlefield-series would you like to see rebooted into BF3 with the new engine?

Personally I would love to see Kubra Dam. The narrow valleys but still a lot of means to flank was excellent. And a good pilot could make some insane maneuvers around, and through, the dam.
#2 Posted by Marz (5666 posts) -

Karkand and Gulf of Oman are the two best maps from BF2 imo.

#3 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

THIS IS THE BEST MAP on bf2!!!!!

I'm typing this while I'm driving frm mt mobile!!!!!

Played this for 3 hours last night'nn

#4 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

I am afraid of 70% of all servers running Strike at Karkand Infantry Only.

#5 Posted by JP_Russell (1173 posts) -

Sharqi Peninsula was always one of my favorites.  Would really like to see that return, so long as something was done to keep the choppers in check a little more (particularly the Havoc, which could circle strafe the TV station with near impunity).  It was always a very difficult map to deal with skilled chopper pilot crews on.

#6 Posted by Ozmiander (38 posts) -

I just don't care, as long as i get Battlefield 3.

#7 Posted by B0nd07 (1701 posts) -

I didn't make this ages ago for no reason.

But to answer your question:
WAKE!
#8 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -

Wake Island would be pretty cool if they changed it up enough. But I have a feeling they will want maps that make good use of their destruction engine, and Wake is pretty empty.

#9 Posted by GreyFox (138 posts) -

Camp Gibraltar was my favorite in 2142.  But it probably wouldn't translate well to Frostbite 2.0... Hmm...

#10 Posted by ComradeKritstov (693 posts) -

Gulf of Oman is a must have.

#11 Posted by boj4ngles (287 posts) -

Gulf of Oman!!!!!
#12 Edited by heatDrive88 (2379 posts) -

What was the map that the BF2 demo ran with? I like that one the best. Kubra Dam was really cool just because I could totally zip a jet through the damn.

#13 Posted by Jace (1093 posts) -

WAKE ISLAND 2012 MUST COME BACK.

#14 Posted by Binman88 (3689 posts) -

I wouldn't take this as any indication we'll see any other maps from BF2, but I'd love to see Sharqi Peninsula and Road to Jalalabad. Hopefully the inclusion of Karkand is at least an indication of the scale of the new maps we can expect.

#15 Posted by Ramone (2975 posts) -
@Marz said:
"Karkand and Gulf of Oman are the two best maps from BF2 imo. "

So true
#16 Posted by Sticky_Pennies (2019 posts) -

Wake Island remake with destructible bridges and terrain would be agreeable. :>

#17 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@AnimZero said:
" Wake Island remake with destructible bridges and terrain would be agreeable. :> "
...you think the new engine lets you break bridges?
#18 Posted by EpicBenjamin (630 posts) -
@Jace said:
"WAKE ISLAND 2012 MUST COME BACK. "

YES.
#19 Posted by Sticky_Pennies (2019 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" @AnimZero said:
" Wake Island remake with destructible bridges and terrain would be agreeable. :> "
...you think the new engine lets you break bridges? "
No idea, but it'd be cool.
#20 Posted by Droop (1916 posts) -

I never understood why people liked Wake Island that much.. El Alamein was pretty good in Desert Combat (the mod).

#21 Posted by Jace (1093 posts) -
@Droop said:
" I never understood why people liked Wake Island that much.. El Alamein was pretty good in Desert Combat (the mod). "
El Alamein would be totally fucking welcome as well. 

AND WHAT IF GALACTIC CONQUEST STARTED UP AGAIN FOR BF3.
#22 Posted by No0b0rAmA (1490 posts) -

Highway Tampa

#23 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

DICE should make a parody level of Nuke Town.

#24 Posted by Droop (1916 posts) -
@KaosAngel: With 64 people :D
#25 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

I think it's safe to say that Wake Island will come to BF3 as well. I mean it has been in ALL Battlefield games, including BF Vietnam (not counting the Bad Company games).

#26 Edited by Jimbo (9928 posts) -

Sharqi Peninsula was my favourite.  Was it Kubra Dam where you could fly a jet through the tunnel?  That was sick too, but only because you could fly a jet through a tunnel.

edit: Fuck yes.

#27 Posted by No0b0rAmA (1490 posts) -
@Jimbo said:
"Sharqi Peninsula was my favourite.  Was it Kubra Dam where you could fly a jet through the tunnel?  That was sick too, but only because you could fly a jet through a tunnel.

"

Hahahaha, thats what makes a map great doesn't it?
#28 Posted by kishan6 (1914 posts) -

Camp gibralter or just the straight up Omaha Beach level from 1942.... that level was sooooo incredibly epic when it was balanced properly

#29 Posted by Marz (5666 posts) -

so much talk of old maps, i booted up BF2 after like 2 years of not playing it.  It's still fun :)

#30 Posted by jakob187 (21728 posts) -

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK 

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!

#31 Posted by raiz265 (2242 posts) -

"At no extra charge" ? 

._.

#32 Posted by s7evn (1072 posts) -

Wake Island needs to come back, I loved that map so much.

#33 Posted by raiz265 (2242 posts) -
@No0b0rAmA said:
" @Jimbo said:
"Sharqi Peninsula was my favourite.  Was it Kubra Dam where you could fly a jet through the tunnel?  That was sick too, but only because you could fly a jet through a tunnel.

"
Hahahaha, thats what makes a map great doesn't it? "
I loved flying through there with a helicopter <3
#34 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -

WHAT. That was my favourite BF2 map! Hell yes. I know my dad would love to see Road to Jalalabad. 

#35 Posted by mosdl (3242 posts) -
@GreyFox said:
" Camp Gibraltar was my favorite in 2142.  But it probably wouldn't translate well to Frostbite 2.0... Hmm... "
I played some of that map yesterday (after not playing 2142/BF2 since BC2 came out), god its a good map.  I hope we get a 3142 DLC mappack at some point.
#36 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Karkand is definitely good.  I like the swampy Chinese vs. US map the most though, I can't remember the name.  There's a Chinese temple as one of the bases to be captured.

#37 Posted by mosdl (3242 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" DICE should make a parody level of Nuke Town. "
Puke Town, where at the end tons of Puke falls from the sky.
#38 Posted by Liber (648 posts) -

" the Limited Edition will come with Strike at Karkand and for the rest, it will be available for purchase a month later " 
How nice of them to charge extra money for the best map of the series  -_-

#39 Posted by Jace (1093 posts) -
@Liber said:
"  " the Limited Edition will come with Strike at Karkand and for the rest, it will be available for purchase a month later "  How nice of them to charge extra money for the best map of the series  -_- "
Reading comprehension fail? You can get the map if you pre-order with no extra charge. They're giving you an opportunity to have it for free.
#40 Posted by ZeroCast (1869 posts) -

For me BF2 is defined by Karkand. This is exciting news and I hope to see Mashtuur City and Sharqi Peninsula remastered. 

#41 Posted by weegieanawrench (1943 posts) -
@AnimZero said:
" @KaosAngel said:
" @AnimZero said:
No idea, but it'd be cool. "
I think it's likely that bridges would be destructible because Battlefield 1943 ran Frosbite 1.5 and the bridges in the game were fully destructible with a couple of sticks of dynamite or well placed shell. What reason would they have to take that feature out?
#42 Posted by gamb1t (965 posts) -

this is gunna be the best game MADE EVER other then battlefield 2 of course.

#43 Posted by evilrazer (499 posts) -

Karkand and Dragon Valley are my favs. Would like to see them in BF3.

#44 Posted by zaglis (910 posts) -

Dont get your hopes up. Im sure the map designers at DICE can figure out how ruin Karkand. Make large, empty, nowhere-to-hide areas, make every piece of cover destructible - hey its Bad Company 2!

#45 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -
@zaglis said:
" Dont get your hopes up. Im sure the map designers at DICE can figure out how ruin Karkand. Make large, empty, nowhere-to-hide areas, make every piece of cover destructible - hey its Bad Company 2! "
Ooor.. since this is Battlefield 3, they'll just re-release Strike at Karkand with the features from the Frostbite engine.
#46 Posted by DocHaus (1352 posts) -

They're charging extra for the map for those who don't preorder the game? What the fucking fuck?

#47 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

If Karkand is in, Oman will be in.

#48 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -

I'll be interested to see how aggressive they will be with their DLC... hopefully it is reasonably priced and released consistently following BF3's release...

#49 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" @AnimZero said:
breaking... bridges 

please god. please.
#50 Posted by Mikemcn (7005 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic
@KaosAngel said:
" @AnimZero said:
breaking... bridges 

please god. please.
I have fond memories of firefights over that bridge and then when it broke, having to swim through enemy fire reviving allies on the banks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.