Buy a joystick if you want to dominate

• 69 results
#1 Edited by squirrelnacho (329 posts) -

Yes, BF3 it planned to have joystick support on PC. You could not remap controls at all in beta.

http://forumplanet.gamespy.com/news_feature_comments/b49146/21104566/p1

As someone whos played battlefield games since 64 player bf1942 in the year 2002, a joystick is the best way to own with jets. Even a 360 gamepad does not come close to the precision a joystick provides. It is also much easier to transition from joystick and keyboard to mouse and keyboard for infantry than it is to pick up a gamepad with two hands. People can get pretty good with a gamepad or even a mouse, but most of the very best have joysticks.

Bad Company is not a good comparison since it does not have jets and 64 players.

Edit - This thread is only directed at people who care about being really competitive. Also, you don't need to spend a ton of money. You can get a decent one for under $40, which is less than a 360 gamepad.

#2 Posted by Xolare (1269 posts) -

I'm not going to buy a useless peripheral for something that I can easily use a Keyboard for.

#3 Posted by EuanDewar (4693 posts) -

OK.

#4 Posted by squirrelnacho (329 posts) -

@Xolare said:

I'm not going to buy a useless peripheral for something that I can easily use a Keyboard for.

Ok, you seem to be on console anyway. This thread is directed for people who want to be most competitive, which it seems you don't really care about.

#5 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

You know what, I am more then happy to sacrifice my place in the jet queue for a joystick owner on my team, and you should be too. These crazy people who are willing to get racing wheels, joysticks and fishing rods should be rewarded for their craziness, god-damn it.

#6 Posted by squirrelnacho (329 posts) -

@Gizmo said:

You know what, I am more then happy to sacrifice my place in the jet queue for a joystick owner on my team, and you should be too. These crazy people who are willing to get racing wheels, joysticks and fishing rods should be rewarded for their craziness, god-damn it.

Yeah I'm not saying that people need one, it just helps a lot. And they dont need to be expensive at all, you can get for less than a decent mouse or gamepad that would be fine for BF3 and games like Hawx and Ace combat.

#7 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

i was thinking about it but instead i bought a new set of buttons.

#8 Posted by EuanDewar (4693 posts) -

@squirrelnacho said:

@Xolare said:

Ok, you seem to be on console anyway. This thread is directed for people who want to be most competitive, which it seems you don't really care about.

He mentions keyboard and you make the assumption he is on console.

Wat.

#9 Posted by Branthog (7340 posts) -

Yeah, I have a flight stick and throttle somewhere (a sweet Thrustmaster model), but god damn it's no fun having to reach across the desk to bring the controls to you, then move your keyboard and mouse away to the other side of the desk, just to fly and then have to undo everything you just moved once you get back to being a soldier. Too much of a hassle. I don't plan on hooking up my stick and throttle this time.

#10 Posted by squirrelnacho (329 posts) -

@EuanDewar said:

@squirrelnacho said:

@Xolare said:

Wat.

Going by his name color.

#11 Posted by EuanDewar (4693 posts) -

@squirrelnacho said:

@EuanDewar said:

@squirrelnacho said:

@Xolare said:

Wat.

Going by his name color.

People really care about that shit? Wow.

#12 Edited by squirrelnacho (329 posts) -

@Branthog said:

Yeah, I have a flight stick and throttle somewhere (a sweet Thrustmaster model), but god damn it's no fun having to reach across the desk to bring the controls to you, then move your keyboard and mouse away to the other side of the desk, just to fly and then have to undo everything you just moved once you get back to being a soldier. Too much of a hassle. I don't plan on hooking up my stick and throttle this time.

No no what you do is you use WASD for thrust, slowdown and rudder, and the joystick for rolling, diving, climbing and shooting. Then when you go infantry just put your joystick hand on the mouse, and have your joystick next to it. You dont need a dedicated throttle for BF3. Basically keep the keyboard the same and use the joystick to replace the mouse controls.

#13 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Battlefield 3 does not have Joystick support

#14 Posted by EuanDewar (4693 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

Fucking lol.

#15 Posted by squirrelnacho (329 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

Only the beta didn't.

#16 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

no fucking way!

#17 Edited by squirrelnacho (329 posts) -

@EuanDewar said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Fucking lol.

Actually dice said they plan to add it..

#18 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
#19 Posted by squirrelnacho (329 posts) -
#20 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@squirrelnacho said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@EuanDewar: @scarace360: @squirrelnacho: http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/battlefield-3/1199753p1.html

In that post he says if it is not there at launch they plan to put it in a patch as soon as possible.

And you believe that? lol!  
They're gonna be too busy trying to fight the client-side hacks and cheats, the bad netcode, the ping issues, Battlelog being down for a month, all the beta-esque glitching, etc.. 
#21 Posted by squirrelnacho (329 posts) -

It's a very simple thing to add. It would be very strange if its not added in eventually, at least they have commented on it and stated its a goal for it to be in there.

#22 Posted by dudeglove (7684 posts) -

People still use joysticks? I thought those things died out 15 years ago.

#23 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@squirrelnacho said:

It's a very simple thing to add. It would be very strange if its not added in eventually, at least they have commented on it and stated its a goal for it to be in there.

BF3 doesn't have a Ping column on the scoreboard.  You can't see your ping.

DICE have reached a new low of not implementing simple standard features, so really, if you can't see your ping, I doubt they'll patch in joystick support. Not in the first month or two anyway.. 
#24 Posted by canucks23 (1087 posts) -

Eh... I got a wireless 360 controller on my desk, i'll just pick that up when i get in a jet/chopper.

#25 Posted by squirrelnacho (329 posts) -

@EuanDewar said:

@squirrelnacho said:

@EuanDewar said:

@squirrelnacho said:

@Xolare said:

Wat.

Going by his name color.

It's not that people care, but it's the name color anyway.

#26 Posted by squirrelnacho (329 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@squirrelnacho said:

BF3 doesn't have a Ping column on the scoreboard. You can't see your ping. DICE have reached a new low of not implementing simple standard features, so really, if you can't see your ping, I doubt they'll patch in joystick support. Not in the first month or two anyway..

Well, lets just hope then lol.

#27 Posted by blueduck (964 posts) -

What does being competitive in BF3 mean? Trying your best at all times?

#28 Posted by Jeffsekai (7026 posts) -

@EuanDewar said:

@squirrelnacho said:

@EuanDewar said:

@squirrelnacho said:

@Xolare said:

Wat.

Going by his name color.

The fuck do you know? You have a grey name.

#29 Posted by SammydesinasNL (840 posts) -

Have they said anything about TrackIR support yet?

#30 Posted by EuanDewar (4693 posts) -

@Jeffsekai said:

@EuanDewar said:

@squirrelnacho said:

@EuanDewar said:

@squirrelnacho said:

@Xolare said:

Wat.

Going by his name color.

The fuck do you know? You have a grey name.

Enough to not judge you white ass crackers.

#31 Posted by Village_Guy (2484 posts) -

@squirrelnacho said:

@Xolare said:

Wait, this thread is for people who want to be competitive? Wouldn't they already know to use a joystick?

You know, they are competitive after all...

#32 Edited by squirrelnacho (329 posts) -

@Village_Guy said:

@squirrelnacho said:

@Xolare said:

Wait, this thread is for people who want to be competitive? Wouldn't they already know to use a joystick?

wat

#33 Posted by blueduck (964 posts) -

@squirrelnacho said:

@Village_Guy said:

@squirrelnacho said:

@Xolare said:

wat

What does being competitive in bf3 mean?

#34 Posted by mr_ace (54 posts) -

i was considering getting one, not to be competitive, but playing flying games with a joystick is awesome, and it's pretty exciting when you're shooting down other players and stuff. Another thing i want really bad is to play bf3 with a joystick with a 3 monitor eyefinity setup. That shit is so awesome...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ObPDzT0k1E

#35 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@blueduck said:

@squirrelnacho said:

@Village_Guy said:

@squirrelnacho said:

@Xolare said:

wat

Nothing, there's no real competitive aspects to this arcade shooter. The e-sport communities are laughing at this pos.
#36 Posted by blueduck (964 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@blueduck said:

@squirrelnacho said:

@Village_Guy said:

@squirrelnacho said:

@Xolare said:

wat

Nothing, there's no real competitive aspects to this arcade shooter. The e-sport communities are laughing at this pos.

Yeah but BF2 didn't have a competitive scene either.

#37 Posted by squirrelnacho (329 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@blueduck said:

@squirrelnacho said:

@Village_Guy said:

@squirrelnacho said:

@Xolare said:

wat

I didnt think the beta was that bad. Are people really disappointed with the PC version?

#39 Posted by mr_ace (54 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: yea to be in e-sports, you have to play some 10 year old pos instead...

#40 Posted by Xolare (1269 posts) -

This ain't no Flight Simulator X.

#41 Posted by awe_stuck (800 posts) -

Meh. I used to fly flight simulators with a keyboard cus I enjoyed it more then a joystick. Joysticks are mostly aesthetic for aircraft. Not useless, but not cheap.

#42 Posted by 137 (481 posts) -

@Branthog said:

My current desk has enough room for me to have everything spread out to where it's not an issue, but I used to have an under desk keyboard tray I kept my mouse and keyboard on, joystick and throttle sat on the actual desk next to each other. Made nice for switching, just raise my hands.

#43 Posted by Zatoichi_Sanjuro (945 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

This.

Plans/hopes/wishes/looking into it.

If it's not in the game, it's not in the game.

#44 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

I'll likely use the 360 pad for vehicles in general. It was already quite well supported in beta, but still needs a little more love and optimization to be complete viable. It acted funky in tanks for example.

#45 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@Zatoichi_Sanjuro said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

This.

Plans/hopes/wishes/looking into it.

If it's not in the game, it's not in the game.

Y'all know jack shit squat about what's in the game at launch. Starting to get pissed with all this willful negativity.

#46 Posted by clstirens (847 posts) -

Bad Company 2, as I recall, had busted Joypad support for months.

I'm not actually sure they ever fixed it, actually.

#47 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@squirrelnacho said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@blueduck said:

@squirrelnacho said:

@Village_Guy said:

@squirrelnacho said:

@Xolare said:

wat

I didnt think the beta was that bad. Are people really disappointed with the PC version?

No. Ahmad is just upset that certain BF2 things are missing. He's not wrong in some ways but BF3 is still going to be amazing.

#48 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:

@squirrelnacho No. Ahmad is just upset that certain BF2 things are missing. He's not wrong in some ways but BF3 is still going to be amazing.

Uh-huh... 

@SeriouslyNow said: 

I wonder, Ahmad, what happened to you. A month ago you were screaming about potentially broken in-game features and yet now you're arguing that this forcing of the use of an external third party, customer managed, easily broken browser to launch the game makes sense. You're beginning to sound like you've been bought and turned into a shill.

I wonder, dude, what happened to you. A month ago you were being realistic, praising the good and scrutinizing the bad. Yet now you've covered your ears and closed your eyes and no longer care what makes a PC game. What makes a Battlefield game.  
You were pissed about using a website as a browser, yet here you are ignoring the fact that this Battlefield title will not support joysticks on launch, does not seem to have proper server-side options, will not have a ping indicator, no in-game VoIP, only one soldier ID on PC, no spectator mode, no Battlerecorder, apparently no separate control settings for each vehicle, and even commo rose didn't make it to launch. Not to mention that the map reveal that has been keeping us sane shows 100% design focus on attackers and defenders. Not a single mention of conquest, balancing the mode, flags, anything. This has turned into a rush game and you're still smiling. 

"You're beginning to sound like you've been bought and turned into a shill."
#49 Edited by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@squirrelnacho No. Ahmad is just upset that certain BF2 things are missing. He's not wrong in some ways but BF3 is still going to be amazing.

Uh-huh...

@SeriouslyNow said:

I wonder, Ahmad, what happened to you. A month ago you were screaming about potentially broken in-game features and yet now you're arguing that this forcing of the use of an external third party, customer managed, easily broken browser to launch the game makes sense. You're beginning to sound like you've been bought and turned into a shill.

I wonder, dude, what happened to you. A month ago you were being realistic, praising the good and scrutinizing the bad. Yet now you've covered your ears and closed your eyes and no longer care what makes a PC game. What makes a Battlefield game. You were pissed about using a website as a browser, yet here you are ignoring the fact that this Battlefield title will not support joysticks on launch, does not seem to have proper server-side options, will not have a ping indicator, no in-game VoIP, only one soldier ID on PC, no spectator mode, no Battlerecorder, apparently no separate control settings for each vehicle, and even commo rose didn't make it to launch. Not to mention that the map reveal that has been keeping us sane shows 100% design focus on attackers and defenders. Not a single mention of conquest, balancing the mode, flags, anything. This has turned into a rush game and you're still smiling. "You're beginning to sound like you've been bought and turned into a shill."
  • Gamepad works fine. I flew jets like a champ in the beta.
  • Battlelog works fine, as you said it would, though I still don't get why it can't be pushed through Origin because you can definitely switch to Origin within the game via Shift-F1.
  • Lack of Server Side Config is probably due to servers being hacked during the beta and the lack of ping indicator seems like an oversight. Never seen a game without one of those.
  • No in game VoIP fits in line with squads being made outside of the game. VoIP is supported outside of the game too.
  • One Soldier ID is a good thing. Means people who deliberately troll and hack will decline from doing so.
  • No spectator and battlerecorder seems like it was just a matter of the beta, but until release we can't be sure.
  • There are separate control settings for Air Land and Sea. That's the BF way since BC2. This isn't a milsim. There are milsims for those who desire such complexity and one is even free to play.
  • Commo Rose is coming but the game isn't built around it.
  • I like Rush. Rush is a mode I purposely look for when playing BC2. Rush gives the game the focus it needs for the players who aren't into being directed and managed.
#50 Posted by Mikemcn (6941 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: Be at peace my son, BF3 will be a ton of fun. Even if it's not the game you're looking for.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.