Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Buying a new PC JUST for this game.

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By white

Anyone else is going to do the same?

Personally I only probably need to upgrade my GFX card (from a GTS 250 to, maybe, a GTX 580) and PSU (from some shitty Acbel to a proper Corsair HX650W), but I was thinking of redo-ing my machine entirely. I have an Intel i5 660 on an Asus P7P55D-E and 6GB of Ram (shitty Kingston ones), but I'm starting to feel it's not going to be enough for me. Is anyone else going to be redo-ing their machines just for this game?

Solemn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Solemn

Unfortunately I don't have $1200 to blow, so no.

Riddell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Riddell

Buying a new PC for one game is dumb. Also, you will be able to run BF3 well without a 580. Also, buying a PC now for a game that isn't released until October is dumb. Wait until a few weeks before; hardware prices only go down.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

I will be selling one of my laptops and using my current laptop (Radeon 5650, 8GB DDR3, Core i7) and iPad 2 for work instead of the one I use right now.

To replace my home laptop I'll be building a new PC. I'm not saying it's specifically for BF3, but mostly because it's time. My gaming laptop is about a year old so it's time to upgrade. Haven't decided on specs yet. Maybe in September.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By shiftymagician
    @Riddell said:
    Buying a new PC for one game is dumb. Also, you will be able to run BF3 well without a 580. Also, buying a PC now for a game that isn't released until October is dumb. Wait until a few weeks before; hardware prices only go down.
    Definitely this, though for anyone just upgrading from another computer, buying a new CPU now isn't a bad idea at all.  Mainly don't buy a graphics card meant for a game like this until a few weeks before.  This ensures you have the best card possible. 

I will also repeat that buying a powerful PC that would be capable of many different tasks just to play 1 game is dumb.
    Riddell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Riddell

Luckily OP, there are plenty of other great games that you could use your new PC for.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By toowalrus

I'm going to be saving up about $2.5k by December- my plan is to temporarily quit my job to do a double semester of college to graduate and transfer... but if my boss doesn't promice I can get my job back in may, I'll just spend it all on a fucking monster PC because mine's horribly out-dated.

Boiglenoight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Boiglenoight

Already did. I spent $850 on the following hardware: i5 2500k, EVGA GTX 580, G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR 3 1600, ASRock Z68 Extreme4 mobo, Antec HCG-900 PSU. Once the videocard I purchased drops to about $250-$300, going to buy a second one. After it drops to $100-$150, will buy a final 3rd card and a more powerful power supply. I'm not rich, just saved for about six months.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By buft
    @White said:
    Anyone else is going to do the same?  Personally I only probably need to upgrade my GFX card (from a GTS 250 to, maybe, a GTX 580) and PSU (from some shitty Acbel to a proper Corsair HX650W), but I was thinking of redo-ing my machine entirely. I have an Intel i5 660 on an Asus P7P55D-E and 6GB of Ram (shitty Kingston ones), but I'm starting to feel it's not going to be enough for me. Is anyone else going to be redo-ing their machines just for this game?
    there will always be other stuff to do with a PC so i wouldn't consider it wasteful by any stretch, apparently people have been having no problems getting BF3 to run on reasonably spec'ed computers
    Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Dingofighter

I just bought a new Motherboard, CPU, Hard Drive and more RAM. Not really just for BF3, but I admit it was a part in making that decision.

Now, after putting it together, the thing that's not working... is installing Windows. How the hell can that be the part that messes everything up, it should be the easiest part of building a computer, right?

Well, if only I can get that minor issue (minor as in making the PC essentially worthless) worked out in time for BF3 to come out, that would be great.

TheBlackPigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By TheBlackPigeon

I'm not going to build a new one just for Battlefield 3, but I am going to build one in 2012. My current tower will suffice until then.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Strife777

I'm not exactly buying it for that game, but re-watching the Tested video where they build Jeff's new PC really pumped me up to get a new one myself. I just need to gather up some money for the next few weeks and I'm pratically buying the same thing, with some slight differences.

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By white

Yeah I know buying it for one game is silly. I didn't mean it that literally - of course I'll use it for other stuff and other games on my Steam list. It's not like I'll have this tower sitting there with only Win7 and the game installed on it.

Riddell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Riddell
    @TooWalrus said:
    I'm going to be saving up about $2.5k by December- my plan is to temporarily quit my job to do a double semester of college to graduate and transfer... but if my boss doesn't promice I can get my job back in may, I'll just spend it all on a fucking monster PC because mine's horribly out-dated.
    Toeach his own by 2.5K is stupid.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By toowalrus

@Riddell said:

@TooWalrus said:

It's easier to spend that money than you think- High end video cards, processors, case, Big-ass SSDs, power supply, that money goes fast- I may cut it down to $1500 or so, but I like the idea that I'll be able to run anything at max settings for at least a couple of years.

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Donos

@TooWalrus: I won't claim to know all that much about the PC industry, but I don't think anyone can safely say what will run games at max settings years into the future. I would think it's best to just get something that you know does what you want right now, and make changes when you know exactly what you need. Why spend $2500 now on something that might work in a few years, rather than $1250 on something that works now and another $1250 in a couple years on something you know will work then?

thornie_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By thornie_delete

I did, and after a few months of playing games on a super fast gaming PC I have come to realize it is the superior platform in every way. Consider me converted.

GJSmitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By GJSmitty

I just upgraded my PC, but kept my old graphics card, and I'm planning on picking up a new graphics card soon.

Raineko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Raineko

I'm still satisfied with my ATI 4870 X2. It's not the best card anymore of course, but it already looked cool on the PS360 and my PC is still stronger than a PS360.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MikkaQ

Already did it. I'm ready for all the fall's PC releases.

salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By salad10203

I am waiting until after it comes out to see how my 280 gtx performs and then hopefully getting the latest Nvidia series (600).  Just remember that DX11 performance is significantly better in the newest generation of cards and the 600 series will probably be the best bet.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By mikemcn

Make a list of 5 other upcoming games you want to play, and then decide if you need to buy a totally new computer for them. Don't get so worked up over Battlefield 3. At most you'll need a slight upgrade.

Edwardryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Edwardryu

you will play lots of games on that (not just battlefield 3). plus, it will be your new work station as well. playing on new PC is kind of stupid as well because that's not dumb console boxes, right?

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#24  Edited By GS_Dan

I'm seeing how it performs on my 5770. If it's bad, I'll upgrade to a 7XXX.

LiquidS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By LiquidS

I'm really hoping that all the pieces in my financial puzzle fall into place before to long to allow me to put in $1500-$2000 on an entirely new system as my current computer is nearing 5years old with little room to upgrade.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jasta
    No Caption Provided
    Lian Li PC-7FNB Black Mid Tower Alu 
    4GB (2x2GB) Corsair DDR3 XMS3, PC3
    1TB Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3, S 
    620W Antec HCG-620 High Current 
    1280MB MSI GTX 570, 40nm, 3800MHz G 
    Intel Core i5 2500K Unlocked, S1155 
    Be Quiet! Dark Rock Advanced BK014 
    MSI P67A-GD55 (B3), 2x PCI-E x16 SL

Samsung SH-S222AB/BEBE 22x DVD±R

I just built this last week, hope it will manage.

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By white

Another thing I wanna add is that my current PC has alot of problems playing recent games - which is another huge factor pushing me for a proper upgrade.

I can't seem to pinpoint the exact cause of all my BSODs, but it appears to be having issues with overheating - primarily in the GPU side. I know the GTS 250 isn't a latest high-end card, but when you can't get it to run Dragon Age: Origins and Splinter Cell Conviction from the yesteryear to run for 10min without BSOD-ing, it you know something is wrong. Hell you'd think I can run Crysis 2 on all low and play it for awhile? PC proved me wrong - BSODs IMMEDIATELY after loading the level.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Subjugation

I wouldn't say I'm building a new pc for this game, however it is the game that made me realize that my aging machine is due for upgrades or a complete gutting. That is, once I get the money. Stupid money.

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By unchained

Yes, yes I am.

I'm looking to spend approx $2500-$3000 on it. We'll see. I'm not going to start component shopping or anything until mid-September.

Edit: Actually, I'm doing this more for Skyrim, I want to ensure I'll be able to run everything at absolute max. But Battlefield 3 is high on the list as well.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Akrid

Judging from the leaked beta footage it appears that BF3 is far more reasonably specced then anyone was anticipating. I'm perversely disappointed.  

Don't go and blow a thou or two over this game just yet. And that goes double for Skyrim...

BUCK3TM4N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BUCK3TM4N

no cause i have a 6970 and an i7 920

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By Skytylz

I just built one, but I did buy a new mechanical keyboard hoping to improve my overall computing experience.  I hope spending $130 on a keyboard wasn't the dumbest thing I've ever done.  

Riddell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Riddell
    @TooWalrus said:

@Riddell said:

@TooWalrus said:

It's easier to spend that money than you think- High end video cards, processors, case, Big-ass SSDs, power supply, that money goes fast- I may cut it down to $1500 or so, but I like the idea that I'll be able to run anything at max settings for at least a couple of years.

The problem with that logic is that you're spending 2.5K to buy today's technology, whereas you could spend $1500 today and spend other $1000 in 18 months time and buy a lot more performance. 
    Riddell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Riddell

Jasta that's a solid build and will play BF3 beautifully. I bet it didn't cost 2.5K either :P

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

I might upgrade from a 5770 to a 570 if I have some money to spend in the next few months, I just hope it doesn't melt my computer.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Three0neFive

Just need to get a copy of Windows 7 (as I'm still running XP) and I'm good to go.

I can tell you now, though, that's not going to happen. I'm going to end up going 64-bit, in which case I'll decide to buy more RAM to take advantage of it, whereupon I'll look at all the money I just spent and decide that fuck it, might as well get a new videocard while I'm at it, which will prompt me to buy a new processor because at this point I've already spent $400 and don't see the harm in one more little upgrade.

Down the rabbit hole I go!

ItsPozer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ItsPozer
    @Jasta: how much did that come to if you dont mind me asking.
    wholemeal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38  Edited By wholemeal

Wait for the game to come out, see how well it runs. And if it runs okay, then spend it on upgrading. if it runs horribly redo the entire thing. Save the money up for when you actually need a good computer. From my experience buyers remorse is very strong when it comes to PC purchases. Because there's always a better one coming out. Most games on PC are ports, and by extension you don't need much to run it on full.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jasta
    @Riddell said:

Jasta that's a solid build and will play BF3 beautifully. I bet it didn't cost 2.5K either :P

@Pozer27 said:

@Jasta: how much did that come to if you dont mind me asking.

Nah, not even close.

Came to £802 for the PC, but I bought a monitor and a new mouse as well. Needless to say I'm fucking skint this month, worth every penny though. You can spend a ridiculous amount on a PC if you're not careful, and $2.5k is a little bit too much for what we are talking about.

Just set a target for what you want your PC to be capable of, instead of trying build something comprised of all the most expensive parts you can find.

Avatar image for Unannounced_Fart
    Omelet_Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Omelet_Pants

Will this game work on my iphone (I have the new iphone 4 with 3G). I dont wanna buy a new computer or phone just for this game.

CABBAGES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By CABBAGES

do you think my laptop run it ?

i5 M450 @ 2.40GHz

4 GB Ram

Radeon 1GB HD 5650

?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.