Crossbows coming to Battlefield 3 Aftermath DLC

#1 Edited by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -

Year of the Bow continues! DICE released a teaser image of the upcoming Aftermath DLC showing new player models and jury-rigged crossbows.

Guess those rumours of no new weapons have been quashed now. Any thoughts on how bows will affect gameplay? I'm assuming that because they're silent, they'll probably hide you on the minimap.

#2 Edited by SSully (4186 posts) -

Year of the bow continues? Indeed it does! I completely missed that part of your original post!

#3 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

Bo Bo Bo.

#4 Posted by awesomeusername (4185 posts) -

I haven't touched BF3 in forever. It's just boring running around forever (because I play on PS3) with little action. Plus, I don't like any of the guns. It sucks because I really enjoyed playing it when it came out. Now I don't even glance at it. Maybe if I had a super PC....

#5 Posted by david3cm (635 posts) -

I recently picked up the super edition of BF3 on PC and am confused. Does anyone play this game anymore? I try looking for servers and the max players per server I find are about 8 guys playing on a 1000 ticket death match game on metro. Is my ping just terrible or have I missed the time of BF3? I would be excited for the new DLC if I thought I would be able to hop in a full 64 player server and experience Battlefield the way it should be.

#6 Posted by big_jon (5727 posts) -

Fucking lame.

#7 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

That's so dumb it's awesome. Will not revive my interest in Modern Military FPS games (*wet fart noises*) but crossbows inherently make things cooler.

#8 Posted by solidwolf52 (300 posts) -

#yearofthebow

#9 Posted by ajamafalous (11994 posts) -
@david3cm said:

I recently picked up the super edition of BF3 on PC and am confused. Does anyone play this game anymore? I try looking for servers and the max players per server I find are about 8 guys playing on a 1000 ticket death match game on metro. Is my ping just terrible or have I missed the time of BF3? I would be excited for the new DLC if I thought I would be able to hop in a full 64 player server and experience Battlefield the way it should be.

Yeah, must be something up on your end. I can find countless full 64 player servers.
#10 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Here's the trailer. DICE's 'Year of the Bow' tribute - and I'm sure it's going to be the best bow in the 'Year of the Bow'. It's the GOTY-Bow so to speak. None of that Assassin's Creed III auto-targeting bullcrap.

Looks like a mostly Infantry based affair, which BF3 does damn well - outside of my personal dislikes like suppression and flashlights and such. Looking forward to it. Just need to beat XCOM on Ironman Classic, so I can finally get started for real on Armored Kill - I want to be on my A-game again.
#11 Posted by Village_Guy (2577 posts) -

I guess that Call of Duty Black Ops was too cool to leave out of Battlefield 3.

Somebody had to say it.

#12 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -

Here is a newly released gameplay video showing all the different bolt types. It appears that all four are available for all classes using the firemode button. It should also give an idea of the map sizes. I read somewhere that they are around the size of Back to Karkand.

#13 Posted by Solh0und (1774 posts) -

I feel like the Crossbow is going to be a big problem for those that like to use the Little Bird.

#14 Posted by ripelivejam (3964 posts) -

don't cross BO

#15 Posted by buft (3317 posts) -

@david3cm said:

I jumped into it again recently and found loads of full servers

#16 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4351 posts) -

Those Bo's could be bigger.

#17 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5007 posts) -

@FrankCanada97 said:

Here is a newly released gameplay video showing all the different bolt types. It appears that all four are available for all classes using the firemode button. It should also give an idea of the map sizes. I read somewhere that they are around the size of Back to Karkand.

Alright, the explosive bolt is actually kind of cool. You can recreate that Rambo 2 scene with it, which is pretty rad.

#18 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -

@Solh0und said:

I feel like the Crossbow is going to be a big problem for those that like to use the Little Bird.

I can't imagine it being any different from them dealing with AT rockets. Although, they would now have to perceive everyone as a possible threat instead of just engineers.

#19 Posted by Intro (1207 posts) -

Looks pretty sweet, hopefully they get their next update out soon so I can actually play it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.