Dice, 3 flag CTF is not fun

#1 Edited by Frenchie108 (52 posts) -

Dear Dice, sorry to inform you but 3-flag CTF is probably one of the worst design choices you could've made on consoles. Don't try to tell me that 5-flag CTF wasn't possible because it could've easily been done. I don't know how to explain but playing 5-flag CTF in BC felt so much more fun than it does here in BF3. To those people that will say that i should've bought this on pc, i have a mac and so i bought it on xbox instead

EDIT: I realized my mistake, i mean to say conquest mode

#2 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Then go play BC! : )

#3 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

I really like it personally.

#4 Posted by clstirens (847 posts) -

3 flag can be a fun set up, but having 5 flags is so much better, even with only 24 players!

That being said, I'm really said that Karkand only has 5 points, I could have sworn it had like 7 on Bf2 and Bf2142.

#5 Posted by UncleClassy (405 posts) -

@Frenchie108 said:

i have a mac

Well now there's your problem.

#6 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

You mean Conquest?

#7 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

There's no CTF mode in Battlefield 3

#8 Posted by AlexW00d (6240 posts) -

I wish BF3 had CTF.

#9 Edited by big_jon (5723 posts) -

BadCompany 2> Battlefield 3

Also, what are you even talking about?

#10 Posted by Fubar (165 posts) -

In CTF you run with the enemies flag back to your flag.

In Conquest you hold an area - also know as domination in other games, right?

#11 Posted by Frenchie108 (52 posts) -

lol, i meant to say conquest mode. Now i feel a bit stupid, but what i'm trying to say is that having only 3 flags to go for instead of 5 makes the mode a lot less fun than it should be. This is probably because the spawn points for both teams are incredibly near a flag so that only leaves 1 flag to fight over. On the other hand, with 5 flags there are still three to fight over. @clstirens: are there going to be 5 flags to capture in the dlc?

#12 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

I like 4 flags the most.

#13 Posted by Marz (5649 posts) -

call it conquest, capture the flag is another game mode.

#14 Edited by Knetic2341 (243 posts) -

Yeah, I don't exactly know what you are ranting about, but I call it conquest.

#15 Posted by konig_kei (607 posts) -

After playing bf3 I pretty much went back to bf2.

#16 Posted by Three0neFive (2292 posts) -

Man, a CTF mode in BF3 would be pretty fucking awesome.

#17 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Frenchie108:  Their only 3-flag conquest game sold NINE MILLION COPIES, most of which on consoles. They will, forever, create 3-flag conquest for you guys. The sales did the talking.
#18 Posted by xdaknightx69 (449 posts) -

CTF mode does sound good

#19 Posted by tekmojo (2302 posts) -
@UncleClassy said:

@Frenchie108 said:

i have a mac

Well now there's your problem.

#20 Posted by big_jon (5723 posts) -

Nothing beats whites pass.

#21 Posted by BawlZINmotion (714 posts) -

I don't really think the number of control points is as important as level design and where those control points are located. Atacama Desert is one of the most played Conquest maps in Bad Company 2 and it only has 3 control points. For 24 and 32 players, the level size, design and placement of control points is excellent. Then you have something like Operation Metro, 64 player Conquest mode, which is just a stupid progression grinder filled with rocket and grenade spam.

#22 Posted by vonFlampanker (327 posts) -

Six Flags is fun.

#23 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Chainblast said:

I don't really think the number of control points is as important as level design and where those control points are located. Atacama Desert is one of the most played Conquest maps in Bad Company 2 and it only has 3 control points. For 24 and 32 players, the level size, design and placement of control points is excellent. Then you have something like Operation Metro, 64 player Conquest mode, which is just a stupid progression grinder filled with rocket and grenade spam.

Your idea of excellent flag placement and level design is Atacama Desert? 

Also, Metro 64 has a unique thing going, it's probably the best meatgrinding chokepoint-based map in the history of shooters, it's extremely fun as a choke map. I'm a sucker for big expansive maps, and Metro 64 doesnt even deserve to be considered an OK map by normal standards, but from a CRAZY FUN point of view, Metro 64 is bombastic!
#24 Posted by Frenchie108 (52 posts) -

The map that brought this issue to my mind was none other than Damavand Peak. Having that one capture point in the middle just makes it impossible to recapture once the other has it. The flag on the other side of the map could be an option except for the fact that the spawn points are right next to these capture points making it impossible to hold them for more than a couple seconds (an exageration).

Now that i'm on the topic of this map, i have to say that it's incredibly unbalanced in rush mode as well with a clear advantage for the defenders for the first phase.

#25 Posted by BawlZINmotion (714 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Chainblast said:

Your idea of excellent flag placement and level design is Atacama Desert?

Also, Metro 64 has a unique thing going, it's probably the best meatgrinding chokepoint-based map in the history of shooters, it's extremely fun as a choke map. I'm a sucker for big expansive maps, and Metro 64 doesnt even deserve to be considered an OK map by normal standards, but from a CRAZY FUN point of view, Metro 64 is bombastic!

How is Atacama Desert not a good design? There are two identical base setups, two identical points (A and C) and one unique point in the middle that has a great balance of anti-vehicle and anti-sniper options. No side has a geographic advantage, there are alternatives to everything and the map puts success directly in the hands of the better team. Operation Metro is a terrible conquest map that only gets worse with higher player counts. If you have fun grinding easy XP and blindly spamming other players with rockets, grenades and light machine gun fire, wonderful, but it's still a shitty design that requires little skill and even less objective teamwork. The team starting in the subway will never get to B first, never take control and never win the round unless the other team is completely useless.

#26 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Chainblast said:

How is Atacama Desert not a good design? There are two identical base setups, two identical points (A and C) and one unique point in the middle that has a great balance of anti-vehicle and anti-sniper options. No side has a geographic advantage, there are alternatives to everything and the map puts success directly in the hands of the better team. 

I'm confused... your name is white.
#27 Posted by Jackel2072 (2254 posts) -

wait. conquest on consoles only has 3 flags? really??? 

#28 Posted by Stackboy (497 posts) -

OP is cray cray. Was playing BF3 last night and it the amount of cap points shouldn't be an issue. If anything, it should vary map to map.

#29 Edited by Cloneslayer (1627 posts) -

Conquest is the best mode in BF3. TDM is lame, and I feel Rush is too unbalanced on certain maps (no explosive damage to the M-COM, wtf?). Unless they can bring back the Titan mode, the best BF game mode ever, Conquest will always be the way to play BF.

Number of control points is not an issue. Most teams gather around one point to die repeatedly anyway.

#30 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@clstirens said:

3 flag can be a fun set up, but having 5 flags is so much better, even with only 24 players!

That being said, I'm really said that Karkand only has 5 points, I could have sworn it had like 7 on Bf2 and Bf2142.

On PC there's 7 point maps, I would imagine on console it's a bit silly to have 7 points with 24 players

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.