DICE banning over color enchancements?

#1 Edited by SnowPin (50 posts) -

This is pretty interesting, What are you guys takes on this? The game IMO looks 100x better with this. Why ban for something like this?

#2 Posted by august (3845 posts) -

I'm guessing to the game it's indistinguishable from something like a wall hack.

#3 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

It's probably triggering the same checks that are triggered by replacing textures, etc to see through walls?

That'd be my guess

#4 Posted by EveretteScott (1486 posts) -

They aren't banning FOR changing the colors, they're/whatever cheat detection they use it registers as a cheat, like what what ^they already said.

#5 Posted by face15 (1300 posts) -

Man, that is one nice looking game. I tend to agree that it looks even nicer with the brighter colours.

That said, I think it's pretty reasonable for them to ban people for making any kind of changes to online games.

#6 Posted by Mnemoidian (955 posts) -

I think that BF3's choice of color saturation looks better. I do like the big blue sky - but I think the darker, grey sky is a lot more suitable for a war game.

And as others have said, they aren't banning for this, specifically. They are banning because people are modifying their clients in a competative game. Competative games need to hava zero tolerance on modifications to stay the least bit relevant.

#7 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

@EveretteScott said:

They aren't banning FOR changing the colors, they're/whatever cheat detection they use it registers as a cheat, like what what ^they already said.

#8 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Shame they ban for using this. I would install it in a heartbeat otherwise. It's the flippin' Battlefield game I wanted to play. One that is pleasant on the eyes, and doesn't rape my skull with laser supernova sunglares burning my retinas 'til I'm colorblind.

This would make BF3 so much easier to love, whereas the reality of things is, I have to try really intently to love BF3 (as doing so is my Call of Duty, as a Battlefield fan), and still my sentiments towards the game tilt over to hate way too easily. So much of it feels like bullshit. Especially being virtually blind due to color desaturation and extreme contrasts with blinding lights and pitch black shadows - add that to effect overkill, supression screen blurring, hardcore blood jelly vignetting, way too many supressed weapons, too few tracers and too little muzzleflash, muddy and messy soundscape, and so freaking forth...

Oh well - BF4 is on the horizon, so maybe nextime... true love yet again? I hope so.

#9 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

War isn't pretty.

#10 Posted by crazyleaves (645 posts) -
@Seppli Have you ever wondered if the contrast was a design decision from a gameplay standpoint?

On topic, I think this stuff has a place and it's not here obviously. My one gripe as someone new to B3 is lack of a counter to fuckin jets.
#11 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@crazyleaves said:

@Seppli Have you ever wondered if the contrast was a design decision from a gameplay standpoint? On topic, I think this stuff has a place and it's not here obviously. My one gripe as someone new to B3 is lack of a counter to fuckin jets.

Of course it's deliberate. Doesn't change that I don't like it, especially gameplay-wise. And there's millions like me. It's borderline gamebreaking for a hardcore BF fan like me, what do you think it is for those who aren't and share my sensibilities? Still can't believe that fucking *grit* moves more units. Certainly not more than it turns-off the game.

@Dagbiker said:

War isn't pretty.

So color flees the country? And light gets brighter, and shadows pitch black?

#12 Posted by crazyleaves (645 posts) -
@Seppli gameplay is different than "lookin' pretty", at least here it is. I can spot an asshole from across a huge fuckin map, it gives me more of a chance to live if I can hide from said asshole too. Get it?
#13 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@crazyleaves said:

@Seppli gameplay is different than "lookin' pretty", at least here it is. I can spot an asshole from across a huge fuckin map, it gives me more of a chance to live if I can hide from said asshole too. Get it?

Doesn't mean I like it, and it doesn't even work in that manner particularly well. Due to suppression, you can't even properly fight back when ambushed. Hell - the game will muffle your sound and blur your vision and throw off your aim and increase your spread and sway, just because that sounds fun *sarcasm*, and being handicapable is what FPS gameplay should be all about. If you go for slow RoF weapons (or even a bolty), you'll likely buy the farm even if you manage to squeeze out the perfect shot, because the game's going to throw your shot off aim systematically. That's not gameplay I'd stand for.

To be blunt. BF3 is inferior. BF3 is a lesser game to all earlier Battlefield games. I like each and every one of them better than BF3. It is way less fun. Painfully so. To me at least.

It's deliberately ugly. It gives worse feedback on every front. It has the worst UI and HUD you could ever design, especially on a 1080p+ rendering resolution (it doesn't scale properly). Its gameplay systems are counter-productive and interfere with player skill at every turn. Balancing is less fun, especially due to the nature of lock-on and indirect warfare, and its impact on vehicular warfare (ever played tank superiority? *beep* *beep* *beep* *BARF*). Bad design from previous iterations is even more prevalent here (like a specific kit for resuscitation with no anti-vehicular capabilities, when loads of maps strongly favor anti-vehicular kits, and hence losing a cornerstone of its teamplay mechanics and pacing tools). The list goes on and on and on...

...to the point where my love for the core Battlefield experience barely negates all the stuff that's grating my nerves, and loving it becomes nigh impossible. So even at the best of times, it's but shallow affection I have for BF3 - whereas most of the other Battlefield iterations are amongst my all-time gaming favorites. BF3 is so far up its own ass, it doesn't even know how horrible it is in comparison to its brethren. Hell - it sold the most, so it has to be the best *sarcasm*.

#14 Posted by seannao (226 posts) -

I really wish they'd allow us to use the new colors. The graphics injector allows you to toggle it, so you can reduce the amount of saturation if you saw fit to. If I remember right, the creator said that it did negatively impact performance to use it.

I didn't try it out since Dice/PB/EA/whatever did update the game to remove some sort of airbrake bind from the game, considering it a cheat, and has for quite some time, seen Horizontal FOV as an exploit as well.

They're wasting time chasing minor things like this when there are already so many people running actual hacks.

Way back when, there was a realistic texture/sound pack for BF1942 that also modified some of the maps, removing some of the easter egg sound effects that would play in certain parts of the maps (they pointed out those changes). EA/Dice/Punkbuster/whatever banned it. The most ironic thing was that the more realistic textures and sounds improved the performance of the game.

re: BF nostalgia

Contextual orders from squad leaders used to be more flexible. 3D spotting cannot replace it. I could aim in first person and use the Rose to slap a waypoint down as a squad leader so you could permanently mark a 3D arrow down on any location in the map since it was as close as you could get to pointing at something with your outstretched arm.

Oh yeah. Squads used to be larger and had integrated voice comms in the squad and if you wanted to mute someone, you hit tab and clicked on their speaker. You could INVITE players to your squad within a game.

Also, Karkand used to be bigger.

#15 Edited by Chtasm (449 posts) -

I'm starting to believe DICE didn't want you seeing through the eyes of the soldier you were controlling, but through the viewfinder of an amateur documentary filmmaker's handycam.

Step 15 will always live on in my heart.

http://files.technofovea.com/dice_rendering_screens.swf

#16 Posted by two_socks (230 posts) -

The mod that gets rid of the blue filter can also be used to mess up weapon stats and stuff, so it makes sense they're banning people over it.

#17 Posted by san_salvador (145 posts) -

The very very most important thing in a game like this is cheat prevention. That will cause some collateral damage, but it's totally worth it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.