DICE's BF3 Reveal at GDC and the 'FindMakarov' Debacle

#1 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

This is what really happend...

Activision wanted to reveal Modern Warfare 3 on March 2nd. One day after DICE finally reveals BF3 properly at GDC. FindMakaraov.com was definitely legit. Somebody at Activision saw what DICE has shown from BF3 thus far (which is almost nothing yet) and came to his senses and called off their reveal plans.

Activision and their many CoD-developers have nothing to compete with EA/DICE's offerings this year and they know it. All they can do is switching to damage control mode - like not going head to head with their reveal of Modern Warfare 3. Not directly competing with BF3 for as long as possible is their only move. A very smart move.

Way to save your face from public disgrace and not falling into the trap of linking the interest of your reveal to DICE's - Bobby K.!

*EDIT* Goeff Keighly got the scoop on the real REAL deal... dirty party pooper!

GameSlice - by Goeff Keighly - What is FindMakarov.com?
#2 Edited by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

Wait, how did you know Activision wanted to reveal the game a day after DICE revealed BF3?

#3 Posted by EuanDewar (4925 posts) -

I'm going to wait until the first MW3 footage comes out before I judge, sure the gut feeling is it will be a rehash yet again but who know's. Maybe new Infinity Ward will go in different directions without their former headmasters.

They aren't going to, but they might.

#4 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5256 posts) -

Source? 

Interesting and funny if it's true. Maybe this'll get the devs to switch it up and do something substantial to the COD franchise rather than just put out Modern Warfare 2-2.

#5 Posted by blueduck (964 posts) -

So wait the count down website is gone? 

#6 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -

Call of Duty will still sell more units.

#7 Posted by SuperSambo (2865 posts) -

I really doubt that bf3 will affect the way CoD is handled. You are overestimating it greatly.

#8 Posted by Khann (2851 posts) -
@extremeradical said:
" Call of Duty will still sell more units. "
#9 Posted by blueduck (964 posts) -
@extremeradical said:
" Call of Duty will still sell more units. "
Don't worry it will fade out soon
#10 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

Countdown website is indeed gone. 

Whatever the reason behind it is probably something we'll never find out. But the speculation doesn't sound too illogical.

#11 Posted by Weltal (2273 posts) -

Yeah, no.

It's Modern Warfare 3. It could looks like an Playstation one game and only be 15 minutes long and it would still sell hundreds of millions.

#12 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -
@ch13696 said:
" Wait, how did you know Activision wanted to reveal the game a day after DICE revealed BF3? "
Here's one of countless stories about the proposed reveal, which got snuffed prematurely. Activision denies it's legit. It obviously was.

Gamespy's Story on findmakarov.com
#13 Posted by Vital (162 posts) -
@PhatSeeJay: The website is still there.  
http://findmakarov.com/  
Now the background is red instead of green like it was before.  

Anyway, I think your kinda right. It would make sense for Activision to hold back on the MW3 announcement until EA gives an announcement.
#14 Edited by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -
Countdown seems to be up again. It's all red and stuff now. Radar warns about sinister red dots!
#15 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@Seppli said:

" @ch13696 said:

" Wait, how did you know Activision wanted to reveal the game a day after DICE revealed BF3? "
Here's one of countless stories about the proposed reveal, which got snuffed prematurely. Activision denies it's legit. It obviously was.

Gamespy's Story on findmakarov.com "
Then I highly suggest you read this story... 

http://scorephoria.com/2011/02/27/weekend-filler-modern-warfare-3-rumors-and-clarity/#comment-1351  

Pretty proves that the site was not created by Activision. 
#16 Edited by MachoFantastico (4687 posts) -

Sounds like a broken record, but yeah I'm done with Modern Warfare and Call of Duty.  

And this is coming from a chap who played the original Call of Duty on PC to death.  
Battlefield 3 on the other hand, I can't wait for. 

#17 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -
#18 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

I like my version better though! Keighly is such a party pooper.

#19 Posted by B0nd07 (1699 posts) -
@blueduck said:
" So wait the count down website is gone?  "
@PhatSeeJay said:
" Countdown website is indeed gone. "
No, it's not, but they did change it.  A couple days ago, it was something green.  I only saw it for a second because it was during the Happy Hour and it made some kind of sound.  Now it's a red radar screen.
#20 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -
@B0nd07 said:
" @blueduck said:
@PhatSeeJay said:
No, it's not, but they did change it.  A couple days ago, it was something green.  I only saw it for a second because it was during the Happy Hour and it made some kind of sound.  Now it's a red radar screen. "
Yes thank you for replying to this without reading further down where I'm reaching that conclusion myself.
#21 Edited by FlamingHobo (4483 posts) -
@SuperSambo said:

" I really doubt that bf3 will affect the way CoD is handled. You are overestimating it greatly. "

I doubt it. I think the Battlefield series has the power, and every right, to return as the dominant first-person franchise. All it would take is a great advertising campaign and some pokes at the Call of Duty franchise to turn the tide.

Such as this:

#22 Edited by B0nd07 (1699 posts) -
@PhatSeeJay: Those replies were made while I was typing mine, thank you very much.

[Edit]
And no, I'm not a slow typist, I'm just being side-tracked by a movie on TV.
#23 Posted by Jimbo (9811 posts) -

I don't know if any of that's true or not, but I'd love to see EA wait for Activision to announce a release date for their third-string CoD game this holiday and then put BF3 up against it day and date.  It'd be ballsy as hell and an awesome sign of intent.  They don't need to outsell CoD and they would suffer short term damage (as in BF3 would sell less than it otherwise would), but CoD has to be vulnerable this year and if BF3 can take a big chunk out of its sales then it's pretty much the beginning of the end for CoD.  

There must be about 15 million casual/mainstream sales up for grabs to people who will only buy one or the other (probably ~5 million prepared to buy both) and -as long as EA don't let themselves get massively outmarketed- then it wouldn't take a lot for word to get out that BF3 is the shooter of choice this holiday, assuming that's how it turns out (which seems almost inevitable to me).  I think delivering the coup de grace to CoD has to be worth more to EA in the long term than avoiding CoD and potentially selling an extra million or two copies of BF3.

#24 Edited by Skald (4367 posts) -
@Khann:  @blueduck: That was not meant to reflect on either game's quality. I just mean to say that they probably aren't too threatened by another Battlefield. 

Because Activision thinking is short-term thinking.
#25 Posted by RedRoach (1191 posts) -
@Seppli: As others have said, findmakarov.com is back up and it's been updated with a radar, new colour etc. Plus, CoD is freaking CoD, Even if BF3 is the most amazing game ever made, CoD won't be affected in the slightest, it'll still sell a bazillion copies.
#26 Posted by MHumphreys89 (714 posts) -

There's no way Makarov pulled a fast one; there was a whole army after him.

"Price: I know you can hear me on this channel Makarov"

"Price: You and I both know that you won't last a week"

So, yeah, i'm going with fan-made movie based on the plot of 2.
#27 Edited by Mikemcn (6988 posts) -
  @PhatSeeJay said:

" @B0nd07 said:

" @blueduck said:
@PhatSeeJay said:
No, it's not, but they did change it.  A couple days ago, it was something green.  I only saw it for a second because it was during the Happy Hour and it made some kind of sound.  Now it's a red radar screen. "
Yes thank you for replying to this without reading further down where I'm reaching that conclusion myself. "
It was a hoax. Activision flat out denied that they were making any sort of announcement just yet.  The countdown website isn't real. 
#28 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -
@Mikemcn said:
"   @PhatSeeJay said:

" @B0nd07 said:

" @blueduck said:
@PhatSeeJay said:
Yes thank you for replying to this without reading further down where I'm reaching that conclusion myself. "
It was a hoax. Activision flat out denied that they were making any sort of announcement just yet.  The countdown website isn't real.  "
I've updated the OP with the actual information. It's about a Canadian indie movie project.
#29 Posted by captain_clayman (3321 posts) -

eff that, way more stoked for bf3

#30 Posted by Three0neFive (2293 posts) -

a little slow, bro

its been confirmed for a hoax

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.