Did you finish the Battlefield 3 single player campain? I did.

• 77 results
#1 Posted by GhostHamburger (134 posts) -

So that happened.

I just finished the single player campaign.

I felt a lot of hatred and anger while playing it. There were so many times when I died arbitrarily. They often tell you to run from point A to point B while infinitely respawning guys are shooting at you, and I died about 20 times in scenarios like that.

It was bleak and humorless. I never felt joy or elation, just relief, "Ugh, I'm glad that's over." when I finished a mission.

I wish they would put a single player bot match into the multiplayer maps. That's all I ever really wanted, just like Battlefield 2.

#2 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@Old_Corncob said:

So that happened.

I felt a lot of hatred and anger while playing it. There were so many times when I died arbitrarily. They often tell you to run from point A to point B while infinitely respawning guys are shooting at you, and I died about 20 times in scenarios like that.

It was bleak and humorless. I never felt joy or elation, just relief, "Ugh, I'm glad that's over." when I finished a mission.

I wish they would put a single player bot match into the multiplayer maps. That's all I ever really wanted, just like Battlefield 2.

Most of the COD games had non stop respawning guys till you hit a certain point

#3 Edited by GhostHamburger (134 posts) -

What? You want a cookie?

Here you go, a nice cookie for my special snowflake.

(this reply is directed at my original post)

#4 Posted by Andorski (5351 posts) -

I didn't have any hatred towards the campaign. It certainly wasn't good, but it wasn't atrocious either. The only comment I can make about it is that it exists.

#5 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

Haha, your post totally makes me glad I didn't touch the singleplayer. Sorry you're feeling so shitty, man! 

Here's some extraordinary jet teamwork to remind you why you bought that game: 

God damn it the Battlefield multiplayer is a contemporary phenomenon. 

@Old_Corncob said:

*Pokes @No0b0rAmA"
#6 Posted by Ubersmake (754 posts) -

I finished it, mostly because I knew it was going to be short. I did get the "invisible guy" at the very end of the game. Man...if that hadn't been a bug.

#7 Posted by Akeldama (4255 posts) -

I kinda enjoyed it for what it was.

#8 Posted by Ubersmake (754 posts) -

@Old_Corncob said:

I had a lot of fun playing a sort of horde mode in 2142 with a friend. We'd set up a server where we were the only two people on our team, and then we'd defend one flag against a full team of idiot AI dudes using 2142's helicopter.

#9 Posted by billyhoush (1192 posts) -

I thought it was ok. A decent extra for being a multiplayer game.

#10 Posted by Pazy (2601 posts) -

I played through the whole campaign mostly because the day I got the game my internet was working right. I found it to be mostly boring and predictable, nothing about it seemed to be interesting or even well designed. If it had the humour of Bad Company then it would been a lot more enjoyable but as it stands its a rote and functional FPS campaign but when you have so many other good single player experiences I cant recommend it to anyone.

#11 Posted by natetodamax (19217 posts) -

I actually enjoyed it, although it's obviously nowhere near as great as the multiplayer.

#12 Edited by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -

I would have liked it better if it was more like Bad Company 1's singleplayer. Wide-open levels with multiple ways to approach enemies and objectives.

#13 Posted by zudthespud (3283 posts) -

I thought it was pretty but I haven't finished it.

#14 Posted by Twisted_Scot (1180 posts) -

Was average at best. It was a basic FPS SP campaign that could...SHOULD have made more use of the reasons people by BF games. A jet mission where you don't fly the jet? WTF were they thinking. I didn't mind the infinite spawning enemies as like laughing Man said that's most COD games right there, the parts that got me were the incredibly liner / timed areas. Perfect example is when your escaping the mall to reach the chopper, it goes against all the stuff we learn while playing these types of games. If you take too long to go outside the rocket hits and you die, if you run outside and take time to try and take down enemies you auto-die & if you run to the chopper in any direction other than straight down the center of the courtyard...yup...you die.

I agree it was a pretty disappointing SP although i feel they nailed the atmosphere & tone perfectly. I would rather see any future campaigns for a BF title game take a page out of an Operation Flashpoint game with real co-op, more open maps and vehicles.

#15 Posted by awesomeusername (4230 posts) -

I haven't finished it yet but I will soon. From what I played though, there didn't seem to be infinite enemies spawning on me.

#16 Posted by Grilledcheez (3955 posts) -

No, I didn't enjoy playing what I played

#17 Posted by MayorFeedback (674 posts) -

I finished it and it was okay. Some of it was fun, all of it looked good, the quicktime events were really terrible, and overall I had a good time. But yeah, if you're comparing it to the multiplayer suite, then ppppppth.

#18 Posted by Dread612 (167 posts) -

I finished it as well and it was fine. Not the best, not the worst, average. It was fine.

#19 Posted by laserbolts (5349 posts) -

I got a couple missions into it and just got really bored with it. I think I'll go back and finish it at some point.

#20 Posted by MightyDuck (1524 posts) -

I finished it and just enjoyed it for what a was. As others have said the multiplayer trumps the singlemplayer in every way possible.

#21 Posted by themangalist (1742 posts) -

I liked the little twist and how all pieces came together in the end, but hell if it's not boring as fuck. It took me at least 10 sittings to get through this short single-player.

#22 Posted by CheapPoison (743 posts) -

I think people bitch too much about it was fine, not truly awesome but hey.

also nuking Paris... that's potential game of the year stuff for me right there so ..... can't be too harsh.

#23 Posted by Pobearo (108 posts) -

I would finish it, but can't because for some reason I "Can't connect to the EA server" and for some reason that matters during singleplayer, enough to kick me back to the main menu anyways. I don't really care though, multiplayer is why I bought the game in the first place.

#24 Posted by pweidman (2355 posts) -

I played through it and it was better than I expected. A few of the levels were actually very cool.

#25 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

It's not really that bad. It's not that good, but it's not that bad. It still blows my mind that people can praise the COD singleplayer and shit on this games singleplayer, as they are basically the same thing, but this game looks MUCH nicer.

#26 Posted by AlexW00d (6386 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: The yet.

#27 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Yeah I did just to get all the single player achievements.

#28 Posted by SpencerTucksen (423 posts) -

It bugged the fuck out of me. I hated it because I played on Hard, most likely. When you play on hard, it's instant death essentially. The problem with that is the game makes you go around a corner and BOOM, dude with a shotgun blows your face off. It's absolutely ridiculous and became so infuriating with all of the cheap kill that I just quit on the game. Multiplayer has been amazing though.

#29 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Smart people (me) played it on easy. Making it pretty much like the charmfree equivalent of an 80s action flick. And the Paris mission with the GRU guys was fucking fantastic. The one with the frogfoot attacking was hot too. Most of the other stuff... not so much.

I had fun with it.

#30 Posted by Shady (503 posts) -

@CL60 said:

It's not really that bad. It's not that good, but it's not that bad. It still blows my mind that people can praise the COD singleplayer and shit on this games singleplayer, as they are basically the same thing, but this game looks MUCH nicer.

MW3's single player was actually fun. It had way less arbritary deaths and it didn't straight up lie when it told you to go somewhere (thinking of the extraction mission with that middle eastern dude). BF3's single player is on par with last year's Medal of Honor, which means it's at best mediocre.

I will give BF3 best boss fight. Epic rat knife fight!

#31 Posted by theoldhouse (439 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: The Jet level in singleplayer is a long quicktime event where YOU CANT EVEN FLY THE GODDAMN PLANE!

Man they have great jets in this game (as you illustrated with an awesome video) why in gods name did they not use them !?:(

#32 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
@AlexW00d said:

Did it take off?
#33 Posted by damnboyadvance (4061 posts) -

It wasn't that great. I quit halfway for the multiplayer, and I won't look back.

#34 Posted by Ramone (2976 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@AlexW00d said:

Did it take off?

I can quite tell yet however there are some yeeps driving about

#35 Posted by Dylabaloo (1549 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

I feel like I've gotten better just by watching them.

Haha, your post totally makes me glad I didn't touch the singleplayer. Sorry you're feeling so shitty, man!

Here's some extraordinary jet teamwork to remind you why you bought that game:
God damn it the Battlefield multiplayer is a contemporary phenomenon.
#36 Edited by Mikemcn (7008 posts) -

Someone of the stuff those characters say is just pure nonsense. Just listen for a little bit, like when you climb off the sniper roof and one of the dudes in the squad decides to randomly get deep about how "America was made by terrorists for terrorists" for no fucking reason, the soldiers in this game also seem to all have the intelligence clearance of CIA operatives, so they just randomly insert obscure, highly unnecessary factoids about the conflict they're involved in. And while the protagonist is being interrogated, the Black tie guy decides to have a conversation about how some random chick was the co-pilot, of only one of several attack aircraft, that blew up this random airbase that the protag's squad may or may not have been at even though a Nuclear Bomb is supposed to go off in less than a few hours. (I think, I didn't pay that much attention to the story.) The game has a strange Swedish interpretation of how US soldiers interact with each other, (So now we should insert the part where the marine says they should be looking for terrorists somewhere else, then we add the line where the other Marine questions why they're there in the first place, because clearly all US soldiers talk about is politics.)

They tried to ground the singleplayer in reality and then just sprinkled poorly thought out over the top set pieces all over the place, it ends up being a horrible awkward mess of game. This is a shit attempt at competing with call of duty and I feel sorry for all the poor idiots who will buy this game and only touch the singleplayer.

Also, did anyone else notice how AI squadmates will just keel over at random? I know they want to seem like there's dudes dieing around you but a bunch of times I've just been walking down a road in the campaign and some AI guy will fall over dead like he had an aneurysm.

#37 Posted by Shady (503 posts) -

What really annoys me about the story is how the CIA/FBI/Who gives a shit agents don't believe the dude about the planned New York nuclear attack and accuse him of being in on the one in France. Let's pretend that the dude wasn't on a mission where they found damning evidence to the contrary and that it was not some black ops type of thing. Plenty of people were involved in the mission (the scale of the attack was huge) and there were several follow up missions with him and others who knew the threat was credible. Even in spite of that if you are going to flat out accuse him of being a terrorist, why would him telling you about a possible terrorist attack not raise some red flags when there was just one in France? It's painful to watch especially when the agents or at least one of them casually states that there was no way they could detonate a nuke in New York since they have the awesomest in intelligence and security.

#38 Posted by DukesT3 (1941 posts) -

Goddamn playing that multiplayer just makes me wonder how much better it is on PC instead of my ps3.... =(

#39 Posted by NTM (7519 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@Old_Corncob said:

So that happened.

Most of the COD games had non stop respawning guys till you hit a certain point

True, most COD games did, but you can't say the same for MW2 - 3, despite what IGN's review says. I can't believe IGN said MW3 had respawning enemies. Anyways, sorry for my pointless comment. No need to reply.

#40 Posted by Branthog (5595 posts) -

I started to play BF3 single player before the multiplayer. After five minutes of extremely choppy gameplay, I backed out and just stuck to multiplayer. I'm completely sure they've fixed the shitty launch performance issues of multiplayer, but I can't think of any reason I would ever feel compelled to go through single player that is universally derided and that I wasn't expecting from a game that has always been a multiplayer only interest (and only existed as a multiplayer game) only.

If I ran out of games and had absolutely nothing left to entertain me - including running out of books, podcasts, household projects, work, personal projects, and websites to visit - I might consider it.

#41 Posted by Redbullet685 (6067 posts) -

@Grilledcheez said:

No, I didn't enjoy playing what I played

#42 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

I played it beat it loved it.

#43 Edited by Vonocourt (2159 posts) -

I barreled through it in one day out of persistence rather than out of joy. It was a frustrating, and boring experience that has pretty much completely slipped away from memory.

I do remember thinking the whole reason behind the interrogation framing device was flimsy at best. The decision the main character makes felt contrived, even with the attempt to justify it by having Captain America in there.

#44 Posted by Rawrz (598 posts) -

Played through it because of hearing it was short and while it had some rather cool moments but as a whole it was very meh. The ending of it kinda angered me though since well after spending hours to get to it, it was very lackluster.

#45 Posted by CrimsonNoir (403 posts) -

If I remember correctly all QTEs pretty much had to be successful, which made those hand to hand sequences tedious when you missed one. Having to repeat them really takes you out of the game, what they should have done is let you fail some so it could be a more tense back and forth.

#46 Posted by evilrazer (499 posts) -

Didn't even start it, that is not the reason why I have bought this game in the first place.

#47 Posted by UberExplodey (948 posts) -

Played it, didn't have high expectations, was content with it. I've played worse, and if you're coming to a long standing multiplayer-focused FPS for a single player campaign...you're fucking doing it wrong. Quit complaining.

#48 Posted by tekmojo (2302 posts) -

Nope hahah, and I don't feel any regrets whatsoever. 

#49 Edited by Intro (1211 posts) -

I finished it, didn't really enjoy. I know what you mean about running from one point and dying. The game wasn't really clear on a lot of things and you couldn't really play out battles like you'd think you could/should.

"Okay, I'm gonna sit back, reload, take out these guys and then run across the street." Dead, you have to run and you can't stop and shoot the guys or you die. It was just, bad. I played through on the hardest mode too, if that matters. I like BF:BC2 much more (campaign, still deciding on MP), at least it didn't take itself too serious and I ended up liking a lot of things in it.

To be fair, I knew I wasn't purchasing that game for campaign.

#50 Posted by Irvandus (2885 posts) -

I didn't know you could make a jet level boring until this game came along. I did like parts of it though

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.