Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Disappointment of the year?

• 105 results
    Dread612

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By Dread612

Disappointment of the year thread? We talking about DA2 or Rage?

BF3 is fine.

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By Sitoxity

Starcraft 2 is an old style of RTS because people complained that there weren't any games of that style any more. They all went towards Dawn of War/Company of Heroes/Something new and people were sad. That's not appealing to nostalgia, that's giving people what they want. Not to mention it was a fantastic game.

Battlefield 3 (from what I've played) is awesome, but saying it appeals to nostalgia just baffles me. Especially when guys like Ahmad keeps complaining it's TOO MUCH like the new games and NOT ENOUGH like the old ones. It just doesn't make sense. How can the devs of these games cater to your impossible needs and standards?

While you're certainly entitled to your opinion, I'll just mimic what others have said and inform you that you should not class yourself in the same vein as "true Battlefield fans" without knowing if they agree with you or not. Having played every iteration of the series on console and PC, I really disagree with you.

Battlelog may be a bit silly and weird, but it does it's job well, and hey, as a server browser it's pretty slick when it works.

So it's not on Steam, boo fucking hoo. Origin isn't a bad system at all, it's just less convenient for those who mainly use Steam.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b
    deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@RobertOrri said:

It's unfortunate that EA chose this game to deliver Origin to the masses, but understandable from their point of view. I don't inherently dislike the thing, as everything has to start somewhere. Let's not forget that Steam was originally made mandatory for Counter-Strike 1.6, and the internet was abuzz with unhappy users that were having problems with it. That was 8 years ago.

@Stingraymond said:

If they ever want to rival CoD, not only do they have to make a game that actually works for all the console kids, but they can't go including so much crap like battlelog and no steam support for our great PC version.

If Steam was an open platform, I could understand this. Since it's not, I'm surprised how everyone wants to willingly have every game locked to it. Yes, it's convenient, but isn't variety and competition a good thing?

Competition is great in a competitive market strategy, however Steam really does not lock you as much as Origin. Origin runs the bases of most all EA products will be restricted on Origin requiring you to use their platform. Valve on the other hand puts out maybe 1-2 titles every 3 years? EA shits titles almost weekly and having to be restrained to their service apposed to just having it on steam like it has been for the past 7 years kind of sucks. I have no technical issues with Origin, however having my BF3 on origin that could run just as well on Steam is annoying. Not to mention the damn game isn't even ran off origin but the Battle Log system, leads me to believe they just want more customer's and accounts to purchase and look at their crappy game selection, deals, and the fact that I have to pay taxes where as steam does not make me pay taxes is another big deal.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By gike987
    @XII_Sniper said:

Oh god there is so much wrong with the OP's post and none of it has to do with BF criticism.

I can't stand PC game elitists, they assume everyone has 1500$ to blow on a gaming PC and can't even conceive why someone would play something on a console. As the owner of every current console AND a fancy gaming PC, I can safely say there are experiences that work on PC and some that plain don't. Same goes for consoles.

Except for some terrible ports I have yet to run into an experience that won't work on a PC as long as you have an xbox 360 controller to complement Mouse and Keyboard. So what experiences plain don't work on a PC?
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#55  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @Funkydupe said:

@wolf_blitzer85 said:

@Funkydupe said:

DA2 was crap! Utterly.

They've managed to ruin Stronghold 3 as well. Both bigger disappointments than a good not awesome BF game.

Aww really?

- Terrible combat. I mean? Come on. It lacks life and most of all effort.

- UI what? UI where? This is how we're supposed to navigate and play the game. They should look into it, and you know, maybe try to make it compliment the game instead of working against it.

- Awfully outdated 3D graphics. They promised us a good looking Stronghold. What were they thinking.

- Feeble to non-existent physics

- Retarded AI

- They completely removed the Skirmish mode. The Player versus AI option.

- Bugs. Bugs. Oh and Bugs.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on this of course. I really wanted this to be good, simply because there are no games like Stronghold anymore. Now I guess we know why. So when's Stronghold 4 coming, and what will they promise us?

Sorry for the slight digression. :)

Ugh, the fact that there is no skirmish mode makes me very sad.
    wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By wickedsc3

COD>BF

thornie_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By thornie_delete

BF3 Disappointment of the year? Tell that to the 100+ GB PC Platoon members across two continents, and to those who participated on a wicked bombing run last night on our OWN SERVER. The game isn't perfect by any means, but it's the best MP FPS experience out there IMO.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By MikkaQ

@gike987 said:

@XII_Sniper said:

Oh god there is so much wrong with the OP's post and none of it has to do with BF criticism.

I can't stand PC game elitists, they assume everyone has 1500$ to blow on a gaming PC and can't even conceive why someone would play something on a console. As the owner of every current console AND a fancy gaming PC, I can safely say there are experiences that work on PC and some that plain don't. Same goes for consoles.

Except for some terrible ports I have yet to run into an experience that won't work on a PC as long as you have an xbox 360 controller to complement Mouse and Keyboard. So what experiences plain don't work on a PC?

For me it's anything multiplayer that I actually care to play with friends. I don't know anyone else who owns a PC that plays games on it. They're all on the Xbox cause it has the benefit on one big friends list. What I hate about my PC is that I have a starcraft friends list, a steam friends list, and a battlefield friends list. It's just frustrating and inconvenient.

And yeah you can use the controller, and I do for games that demand it, but like... if Uncharted was a PC game I wouldn't play it on PC. It's far too cinematic to play sitting at a desk in front of a monitor. Some game experiences are better suited for playing on a couch with a giant TV, I find most cinematic games and racing games tend to be better on consoles for that reason. I find COD really awkward on PC for some reason, and I am used to playing FPS games with a mouse and keyboard, but something about the game's look and controls seem tailored for the console. I make my choices on a game-by-game basis.

JamesKond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#59  Edited By JamesKond

Are you telling me to get off your lawn?

Vestigial_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Vestigial_Man

You like Battlefield so much that it's caused you to hate Battlefield. The the only person that ruined your experience was you. Play the game and look at whether you enjoy it or not as a game, as opposed to whether you or enjoy it or not compared to what you think Battlefield should be like. Dark Souls, which I'm currently playing, is not better than any game I have played before it but it's still bloody brilliant. You can't expect every game you play to be better than anything you've played before, judge it by it's own merits. Not it's predecessor's.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#61  Edited By The_Nubster

So you played an old Battlefield for 5 years straight, and you don't like the new Battlefield game?

I'm shocked.

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#62  Edited By metalmoog

CoD was fun when it was fresh but it hasn't been fresh for a long time. Calling Battlefield a failure because of being a similar game to older versions is moot because MW3 is essentially a reskinning of MW2. The interface has hardly changed, it's presentation and engine is exactly the same as it's been since 2007. At least DICE have created a new engine for this game and are moving the tech forward instead of recycling and rashing their old shit.

It definitely was overhyped as all huge releases are these days. Every new game has so much hype and expectations placed upon it be the gaming media and the fans that it almost always fails to deliver. BF3 & Rage easily fall to this, while both are good games (albeit Rage was way to short and was rushed to be finished) they were never going to be the second coming of christ as we all thought they would. Maybe the FPS genre is just getting stale and has been over saturated and played to death since the CoD generation took it's stranglehold?

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Arker101

Nah, it's a really good game, it's just people like me who got over hyped for it, thought it should be a lot more. The only thing that was ever really playing against Battlefield 3 was its marketing push. "Hey! This is better then Modern Warfare 3 and we can do what they do, but better!" I think that's what would have let people down. Personally, I think it's an extremely competent, team-driven, and deep FPS, it's fun, but if I want some arena style matches with quick kills and twitch shots, I'll go play some Modern Warfare 3. They both serve different niches (however big those niches may be) and I'm fine with that.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By DonPixel

@Stingraymond said:

Long-time lurker, first-time poster here.

The game looks great and plays a lot like every battlefield game, but I wanted more, and any true battlefield fan would agree with me. The lazy ass mainstream PC game development is being taken to whole new levels lately

You write opinions, inferences and non factual information all over your hyperbolic rubbish post as facts.

hard to actually argue something under those terms.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#65  Edited By huntad

For me, yes BF3 is my personal disappointment of the year. However, I think RAGE will most likely win that title.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#66  Edited By imsh_pl
    @Stingraymond said:
    The lazy ass mainstream PC game development is being taken to whole new levels lately, we get 10 year old games up-ressed and touted as the best things on the planet, Starcraft, Diablo, Battlefield, all they're doing is appealing to nostalgia and sadly on many of you it seems to work and you end up blind to the shockingly poor quality of some of these games.
    lol

You're funny
    sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#67  Edited By sins_of_mosin

Nope, the story is awesome and tons better then Black Ops and MoH.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Canteu

@awe_stuck: I didn't include WaW (awesome as it was) as that would make 5, and it isn't modern.

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By emergency

I read until you basically said that Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 were bad games and you were appalled that people liked them.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#70  Edited By kingzetta

I thought you said RAGE was

djaoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#72  Edited By Chummy8

"Disappointment of the year" is very subjective and often is a result of the individual having initial expectations that can not be realistically matched.

lando1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#73  Edited By lando1

@Stingraymond said:

[...] The lazy ass mainstream PC game development is being taken to whole new levels lately [...]

I can't take you seriously after reading that. You are so goddamn ignorant.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b
    deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thornie said:

BF3 Disappointment of the year? Tell that to the 100+ GB PC Platoon members across two continents, and to those who participated on a wicked bombing run last night on our OWN SERVER. The game isn't perfect by any means, but it's the best MP FPS experience out there IMO.

I completely agree, as much as Battle log connection issues etc are presented. When you are in a game it is the most immersive FPS experience as of now.

AnimalFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By AnimalFather

i wasnt disappointed cause i knew the game wouldnt be all that. look at the pedigree of dice and you know they havent made a AAA game ever.

djaoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By djaoni

@AnimalFather said:

i wasnt disappointed cause i knew the game wouldnt be all that. look at the pedigree of dice and you know they havent made a AAA game ever.

You're even worse than the troll that made this thread.

Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Potter9156

I'm loving the game. So no, not a disappoint. Sometimes it feels like people are reviewing the PR and EA side of things and completely ignoring the game, save for when a scripting bug pops up or a video of someone clipping through a wall appears.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#78  Edited By Seppli

AnimalFather and Stingraymond are sitting on a tree...

Haters gonna hate. If you'd only open your eyes and applied some mind to your gameplay, you'd warm up to Battlefield MP in no-time.

AnimalFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By AnimalFather

@djaoni said:

@AnimalFather said:

why, am i not entitled to my opinion? just because i thought the game didnt hold up im trolling? if you liked the game soo much why do you care what i think about it?

the best game DICE made according to me was Mirror's Edge and that wasnt even a shooter.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Subjugation

@AnimalFather said:

@djaoni said:

@AnimalFather said:

why, am i not entitled to my opinion? just because i thought the game didnt hold up im trolling? if you liked the game soo much why do you care what i think about it?

the best game DICE made according to me was Mirror's Edge and that wasnt even a shooter.

You're entitled to your opinion, it's just that no one takes it seriously.

AnimalFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By AnimalFather

Well if people dont take it seriously no need to flame me now is it?

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

Wait, no, I thought Rage was the Disappointment of the Year.

/me goes to check Rage forum to verify.

saethir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By saethir

Hey, remember when Duke Nukem was the biggest disappointment of the year?

Wait, That didn't happen because Red Faction: Armageddon was the biggest disappointment of the year.

Wait, That didn't happen because Rage was the biggest disappointment of the year.

Wait, ya know what, fuck it.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By N7

People just can't stand critical acclaim anymore, it seems.

AlexAlterisio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By AlexAlterisio

I've seen people post all over the place things to the same effect as "Battlefield deserves to be bigger than Call of Duty" I'm just curious to hear some of the reasoning behind this

WilyBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By WilyBoy

Guys, we all have to decide which game to hate the most. This is Very Important.

ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By ericdrum

@Stingraymond: You only offer complaints and no solutions. Plus, can you honestly tell us that you played any of the other BF betas or in the release month? So far this has been the smoothest out of any that I can remember. If you wouldn't have included your age, I seriously would have assumed you were 15. I'll ignore the ignorant console statements.

knetic2341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By knetic2341

I really like the game. I just knew it wasn't the messiah, but most people did. They put too much hype into it. I didn't, despite it being my most anticipated game for this year because I love Battlefield.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By N7
    @WilyBoy: I intend to purchase this for singular sovereigns.
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@Canteu said:

Battlefield has been going for 9 years and technically they're only up to the 3rd game.

Modern Warfare (not CoD as a whole) has only been around for 4 years and are already up to the 4th game. It will not last forever and you know this, but Battlefield will continue to exist for several more years.

How do you justify 10 Battlefield games to being "technically only up to the 3rd game," and not give that same sort of consideration for the COD series? "Technically" Infinity Ward's Modern Warfare series is only up to the 3rd game, but that really only tells half the story. Less than half with both COD and Battlefield, as a matter of fact.

Hi_Voltg3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Hi_Voltg3

I personally am loving BF3 but the forum title is misleading and probably would fit better with Brink. Man, I was excited for that game until I started to play it :(

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Canteu

@SpaceInsomniac: Maybe i was just being a facetious prick...oh wait.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#93  Edited By jorbear

@Chavtheworld said:

Wait a minute, did you just say Starcraft II is "shockingly poor quality?"

I didn't read past that cause anything else you said is clearly invalid.

This.

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#94  Edited By the_hiro_abides

Yo I love PC games too but consoles are mainstream appeal. Thus more money so games are made accordingly.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@Canteu said:

Maybe i was just being a facetious prick.

I can accept that.

At any rate, Battlefield is still a great series, no matter how many games it has.

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By david3cm

So can we expect a thread with this title for every major game that comes out?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@david3cm said:

Yes.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Canteu

@david3cm: History repeats itself

Avatar image for boxing_snatcher
    Boxing_Snatcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Boxing_Snatcher

@david3cm said:

Without a doubt.

Can't wait for the Uncharted thread. Gonna be a party.

ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By ericdrum

@david3cm: Yes you can. In fact, go ahead and start one for MW3. Just state that you will update it with the facts of how disappointing it is once you've played it, but state that you already KNOW that it will be the biggest disappointment. Just go start one for all games that are coming soon.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.