E3 2011: Battlefield 3 Stage Demo

• 64 results
#1 Posted by Jerome85 (258 posts) -

nice

#2 Edited by DestroJr (19 posts) -

Looking excellente, it has been awhile since I played any Battlefiled games... but as much props as the series has been getting, have to try one sooner than later, this might be it.

#3 Posted by zombie2011 (4972 posts) -

pretty but really boring.

#4 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2435 posts) -

I cant believe how photo realistic that looks.

#5 Posted by laserbolts (5319 posts) -
Looks really nice but the gameplay looks like nothing new. But fuck does that look nice.
#6 Posted by LiquidS (971 posts) -

Am I going to need a change of panties when I am done watching this?

Only time will tell I guess.

#7 Edited by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

OMG THE TEXTURES etc.

#8 Posted by kycinematic (140 posts) -

Been waiting for this for a long time, it looks excellent!

#9 Posted by Doctorchimp (4074 posts) -

Sick!

I was waiting around for this during the EA press conference, but The Old Republic turned me off and Mass Effect 3 looked like such a disappointment.

Then I fell asleep during the Need For Speed thing.

I can't wait to see what sort of stupid shit that Origin is gonna make me go through to play this.

#10 Posted by jorbear (2517 posts) -

The best part is that it uses Origin.

#11 Posted by oldjack327 (134 posts) -

Pardon the horrible joke but...  

NOBODY WILL BE SEATED DURING THE THRILLING DRIVING SEQUENCE! 

Yeah... pretty graphics but the section of the game they decided to put on display would probably have been cooler to play than to watch.

#12 Edited by Ash_F (25 posts) -

There really is not anything quite like the Battlefield series.

I hope everyone here realizes that Battlefield's strength is in its multiplayer with combined arms(ie: infantry/tanks/planes/helos/ships) all going at each other over massive 64 player maps. Not in its single-player.

Actually, I hope DICE realizes this. They kind went in the wrong direction in toning down the epicness in BC and BC2. :(

#13 Posted by Robopengy (461 posts) -

Looks really good, color me excited

#14 Posted by neurotech (62 posts) -

GOTY 2011 for sure. DICE delivers the goods once again!

#15 Posted by sihingmarcel (17 posts) -

HD Stream? Hello? I guess "high" it is.

#16 Posted by Zatoichi_Sanjuro (945 posts) -

Looks really nice... on a high end gaming PC with DX11.

Pretty telling that they still won't show what the console version really looks like. Deceptive and unethical that they don't have 'PC build'  watermarked on the gameplay. I don't believe for a second there aren't huge swathes of console players who actually believe BF3 will look like this on 360/PS3 as a result.

#17 Posted by Belonpopo (1823 posts) -

No Music, nice touch.

#18 Posted by Nate (703 posts) -

GB videos crashing for me today. Duder, it's over after about 5 seconds. Both on my home pc, and at work.  Different version of windows, different browser.  Anyone else having issues?

#19 Posted by b4d533d (36 posts) -

not working for me either. all other videos on gb work except this one.

#20 Posted by Scotto (1178 posts) -

@Zatoichi_Sanjuro said:

Looks really nice... on a high end gaming PC with DX11. Pretty telling that they still won't show what the console version really looks like. Deceptive and unethical that they don't have 'PC build' watermarked on the gameplay. I don't believe for a second there aren't huge swathes of console players who actually believe BF3 will look like this on 360/PS3 as a result.

That isn't deceptive at all. People should be able to figure for themselves that all three versions of the game aren't going to have the same visual fidelity - hell not everyone is going to have the same experience on the PC.

It's common practice for developers to show off their games using the best looking platform, and I've rarely, if ever, seen them watermark which version it is.

- Scott

#21 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2379 posts) -

Stream is broken in HD.

#22 Posted by Matthew (1912 posts) -

Yes please. Thank you.

#23 Edited by AstroCow (73 posts) -
@Nate: Same issues here. Buffer-ville. Unwatchable.
#24 Posted by studnoth1n (222 posts) -
@Zatoichi_Sanjuro said:
Looks really nice... on a high end gaming PC with DX11.  Pretty telling that they still won't show what the console version really looks like. Deceptive and unethical that they don't have 'PC build'  watermarked on the gameplay. I don't believe for a second there aren't huge swathes of console players who actually believe BF3 will look like this on 360/PS3 as a result.
must be nice sitting up there, a top of mount pious looking down on all the mucky mucks and their pathetic consoles. could you have been more condescending? also, when exactly has watermarking a game ever been standard practice when releasing across multiple consoles?
#25 Posted by Selftest (72 posts) -

Looks great! Too bad I don't have the money to build a gaming rig and actually play the game as intended. Looks like a console purchase for me. Any word on max multiplayer on 360 version?

#26 Posted by Shadowsquire (362 posts) -
@zombie2011
pretty but really boring.
Exactly my thoughts
#27 Posted by metrodextrous (9 posts) -

Think this game might be the one that convinces me to upgrade my computer. 

I seriously doubt a GeForce MX440 will run anything at this point.

#28 Edited by Zatoichi_Sanjuro (945 posts) -
@studnoth1n said:

@Zatoichi_Sanjuro said:

Looks really nice... on a high end gaming PC with DX11.  Pretty telling that they still won't show what the console version really looks like. Deceptive and unethical that they don't have 'PC build'  watermarked on the gameplay. I don't believe for a second there aren't huge swathes of console players who actually believe BF3 will look like this on 360/PS3 as a result.
must be nice sitting up there, a top of mount pious looking down on all the mucky mucks and their pathetic consoles. could you have been more condescending? also, when exactly has watermarking a game ever been standard practice when releasing across multiple consoles?
I have a console too. And I've read innumerable comments from people on youtube and elsewhere, who either assume the gameplay footage is 360 or PS3 and/or think it will look like that on their console. 

It won't.
#29 Posted by wizpig64 (31 posts) -

The HD stream is broken because the filename has a space in the front of it. Downloads fine for High versions even with the space, so i'm guessing that this just screws up the key-pair authentication system for HD versions.

#30 Posted by MisterMouse (3550 posts) -

well looks pretty nice, but that isn't the most intriguing piece of demo...

#31 Posted by SkullcrusherMountain (952 posts) -

Hey Dave. Site's broke.

#32 Posted by Brake (1097 posts) -

@JoeyF Video doesn't work.

#33 Posted by AURON570 (1674 posts) -

this is gameplay right? driving around the desert in a tank.. blowing stuff up.

#34 Posted by aceofspudz (937 posts) -

Day one.

#35 Posted by SpicyRichter (531 posts) -

@Scotto said:

@Zatoichi_Sanjuro said:

Looks really nice... on a high end gaming PC with DX11. Pretty telling that they still won't show what the console version really looks like. Deceptive and unethical that they don't have 'PC build' watermarked on the gameplay. I don't believe for a second there aren't huge swathes of console players who actually believe BF3 will look like this on 360/PS3 as a result.

That isn't deceptive at all. People should be able to figure for themselves that all three versions of the game aren't going to have the same visual fidelity - hell not everyone is going to have the same experience on the PC.

It's common practice for developers to show off their games using the best looking platform, and I've rarely, if ever, seen them watermark which version it is.

- Scott

I'll tell you this: it's been a while since I've had to upgrade for a game. I've been looking forward to it

#36 Posted by jonbjork78@gmail.com (5 posts) -

@Zatoichi_Sanjuro said:

I haven't seen the above video but if it's exactly the same as the live E3-demo there was even a pic-in-pic shot of Patrick Bach playing the game with mouse and keyboard. I don't see how this is deceptive in any shape or form.

#37 Posted by YoThatLimp (1901 posts) -

Day 1 PC buy for me, man I love tank combat.

#38 Posted by Capum15 (4883 posts) -

Wow, that's pretty damned cool. I never doubted I'd get it, and this just reinforces that decision.

#39 Posted by RIDEBIRD (1232 posts) -

@metrodextrous: I had that card about 9 years ago. It didn't then either, also it doesn't support DX10.

@Scotto: It's also about fucking time a developer uses the power of modern technology to power a game and then port it to the consoles that don't nearly the same amount of power. I can't understand why more devs don't use PC as lead and then port it down. It must end up with a better looking result, better optimization and the fact that PC gamers will flock and buy your game (don't give me piracy bullshit, trade-ins are a bigger concern in 2011) if you make it good on PC. I know Capcom does that with MT Framework, and I'd say all of their games run extremely smooth and look pretty dang sharp on consoles.

@SpicyRichter: Same here.

@studnoth1n: I don't think he was condescending. Also, why shouldn't we be to some extent? It's not like PC gamers get anything to be proud of or be dicks about that often. For the last four years being a PC gamer basically has been being forced to play the vast majority of games with muddy textures and shitty shaders when our computers have been able to do twice or three times as good. It's like if Wii would be the standard of graphics on consoles - disregarding HD, I guess. Don't you on some level understand why we are being dicks about BF3? We finally get a fucking game that pushes technology forward and that utilize the power of our machines. In the long run this will be positive for consoles as well, as the next generation comes closer as expectations on graphical fidelity finally takes a jump.

I would absolutely love to see the next generation soon, as it will push graphics across the board. It will cost money to be a PC gamer again, but we've been getting maxed out games at 60 FPS @ 1080 @ 4xAA in most decent ports on $800 hardware for many years now, so I'm okay with that.

#40 Posted by buft (3316 posts) -

I enjoy the tank combat in the game but i wish they had showed an on foot section as well.

#41 Posted by sandwich_adjustment (685 posts) -

the camera lens fx are sik as hell

#42 Posted by Rox360 (1057 posts) -
@Ash_F said:
There really is not anything quite like the Battlefield series.  I hope everyone here realizes that Battlefield's strength is in its multiplayer with combined arms(ie: infantry/tanks/planes/helos/ships) all going at each other over massive 64 player maps. Not in its single-player.  Actually, I hope DICE realizes this. They kind went in the wrong direction in toning down the epicness in BC and BC2. :(
Oh, we know. And they know that we know. I think all the focus on the singleplayer is an attempt to drag new people into the series. All the MoH and CoD folks who may never have really heard of Battlefield, or need their games to have a solid, engrossing campaign.

I'm confident that DICE are using this carefully scripted campaign as a slow, gentle buildup, where at the end they'll just knock the walls down and say "Okay. Here. The whole map is yours, you get any weapon you want, any vehicle you want and there's like a hundred dudes on screen. Go nuts. And once you're done, feel free to check out the multiplayer, because guess what? This is what that's been like for all these years! Welcome to Battlefield."
#43 Posted by AlexanderHC (54 posts) -

The video aint working for me here in Denmark ... Bah ...

#44 Posted by Zatoichi_Sanjuro (945 posts) -
@Rox360 said:
@Ash_F said:
There really is not anything quite like the Battlefield series.  I hope everyone here realizes that Battlefield's strength is in its multiplayer with combined arms(ie: infantry/tanks/planes/helos/ships) all going at each other over massive 64 player maps. Not in its single-player.  Actually, I hope DICE realizes this. They kind went in the wrong direction in toning down the epicness in BC and BC2. :(
Oh, we know. And they know that we know. I think all the focus on the singleplayer is an attempt to drag new people into the series. All the MoH and CoD folks who may never have really heard of Battlefield, or need their games to have a solid, engrossing campaign.  I'm confident that DICE are using this carefully scripted campaign as a slow, gentle buildup, where at the end they'll just knock the walls down and say "Okay. Here. The whole map is yours, you get any weapon you want, any vehicle you want and there's like a hundred dudes on screen. Go nuts. And once you're done, feel free to check out the multiplayer, because guess what? This is what that's been like for all these years! Welcome to Battlefield."
I just don't see how 12v12 is going to be a Battlefield experience on the console. If both teams have one helo and two tanks crewed, that's like 8v8 infantry over, supposedly, large maps. I'm really worried just how much they neutered the gameplay to accommodate the console experience.

Considering, I just found out they dropped the comma-rose. No commander... regen health...
#45 Posted by Gre (154 posts) -

I like the smoke effects.

#46 Posted by Rox360 (1057 posts) -
@Zatoichi_Sanjuro
Oh. Well, I don't expect the console versions to be even worth playing at all! I like my Battlefields on the PC.
#47 Posted by Luck3ySe7en (240 posts) -

Battlefield 3: Best Tanks E3 2011

#48 Posted by OldManLight (839 posts) -

i know it's just a filter trick but that part with the UAV made my jaw drop. this game is going to make me upgrade my pc.

#49 Posted by Korolev (1704 posts) -

Pretty nice fire effects.

#50 Posted by allgrinzz (161 posts) -

Pretty, but overall not all that exciting. The tank combat would have been interesting if there was more variation, if you actually drove around. The entire tank sequence looked like an "on rails" shooter, didn't have much freedom to go booking around or anything, just move in a straight line, stop, shoot. Move in a straight line, stop, shoot. Also, regenerating health? What happened to engineers and repairs... :( Would really like to see how the infantry portion of the game plays out, if there is still classes and teamwork, or if they went the way of the popular shooter with re-genning health and lone wolfing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.