Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

EA Explains Why Battlefield 3 Might Not Appear on Steam

Goronmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Goronmon
    @GrandHarrier said:
    Unified system = Monopoly.  Last I checked that was a bad thing. But it is the 21st century. Perhaps I am wrong.
    Monopolies are not bad by definition...
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#102  Edited By Marz

Did alot of people not even read the story?   it's not an Origin only exclusive... quit complaining that they are forcing you to use Origin.

DoNotBanMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By DoNotBanMe

lol, people really hate EA for some reason, they seem to have a good reason for pulling it. i'm with EA on this one.... wow never thought i would say that.

Goronmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Goronmon
    @Marz said:
    Did alot of people not even read the story?   it's not an Origin only exclusive... quit complaining that they are forcing you to use Origin.
    Every indication is that Origin will be necessary for patches and DLC and will be installed no matter which manner of purchase you use to acquire the game. Similar to how things work with Steam on certain games.
    Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#106  Edited By Dingofighter

So, the way I understand it, Valve just wants all DLC to be available on Steam, and I don't think they want it exclusively on Steam, though I'm not sure about that part.

So, how can EA say that this "limits their ability to connect with the customer"?

I don't know how EA "connects with the customer" when said customer is buying DLC or downloading a patch other than having a chance to get them to buy more of their stuff, and therefore they don't like Steam trying to make the process of buying DLC or patching more transparent.

Now, I don't know whether any of this is true, maybe Valve just wants all DLC exclusively on Steam and if so, then they are the "bad guys", but as I understand it right now, EA just wants the ability to make all customers have to go to Origin so they can sell them more stuff.

ryno9881

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#107  Edited By ryno9881

This only hurts EA, some kind of agreement needs to be made soon.

GrandHarrier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By GrandHarrier
    @Sweetmate said:
    @Korne said:
    @Shuborno: It has to do with DLC sales. Steam does not allow a game to be on their service if they do not allow Steam sell the DLC for that game. It doesn't have to be exclusive to Steam, but they want it to be available through the service. EA has not been doing this, and has been releasing DLC that can be bought through an in-game menu that takes you to an EA store. So it sounds like EA wants to cut out the middle man and sell the content directly, while Steam is against this since it basically uses the Steam service to sell the content without Valve getting a penny.
    Finally someone who understands it. I've been explaining this on forums since Crysis 2 was pulled yet no gaming press seems to see it.  All it would take for these EA games to be compliant with Steam's TOS is to sell DLC on steam aswell as origin (much like Bad Company 2). It wasn't a problem for EA on that game and thats why no one is buying their BS on BF3. It is plain and simple, this decision is solely based on EA's greed. They are hiding behind the fact that BF3 will be a juggernaut in terms of sales to test if they can get away with making EA's own store the only place to sell all the DLC on all their games.  And they will get away with it.
    Why should EA be forced to put content on a service? Why should Valve dictate to developers and publishers what HAS to be on their platform? They have absolutely no right to this. They can and should be allowed to DENY content, but its fucking bullshit to suggest that they have any grounds to tell people "Let us sell content A or we'll remove content B".
    Aeterna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Aeterna

@wolf_blitzer85 said:

So how come EA is the only one having problems with Steam? Are there other publishers out there that feel the same way?

How many other publishers have Origin?

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#110  Edited By Crono

For anyone interested, if you want 20% off of BF3 through Origin then sign up for an account and make tomorrow your birthday. They will send you an e-mail that will have a code in it that you can input right before you place your final order (There will be a line with like "promotional code" or something along those lines).

GrandHarrier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By GrandHarrier
    @Goronmon said:
    @GrandHarrier said:
    Unified system = Monopoly.  Last I checked that was a bad thing. But it is the 21st century. Perhaps I am wrong.
    Monopolies are not bad by definition...
    (1) Exclusive control of a commodity or service in a particular market or a control that makes possible the manipulation of prices.
    (3) The exclusive possession or control of something.

These sound like good things to you? Do you honestly believe that were Valve to have complete marketshare, they'd continue to be the benevolent masters you so willingly support?
    Goronmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Goronmon
    @GrandHarrier said:
    Why should EA be forced to put content on a service? Why should Valve dictate to developers and publishers what HAS to be on their platform? They have absolutely no right to this. They can and should be allowed to DENY content, but its fucking bullshit to suggest that they have any grounds to tell people "Let us sell content A or we'll remove content B".

I'm not sure what you are thinking, but you aren't understanding the issue correctly. 

Valve is saying that if a company is going to sell a product on Steam, that company can't force users to use an outside service to download updates and purchase DLC. They want their users to be able do everything within Steam. They are then denying any content that doesn't follow that rule. 

Valve has every right to not allow certain content to be sold on it's service, despite what you are claiming.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f80be8681c07
    deactivated-5f80be8681c07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You used the same quote twice...

aceofspudz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By aceofspudz

Taking the Steam side here. If your game is on Steam the DLC should be there as well. Last night I spent like 10 minutes trying to figure out how to get Minerva's Den for my steam copy of Bioshock 2, and the whole time downloading it from GFWL I was biting my nails (bad habit, I know) about whether it would work with my steam copy or not. It did.

If there is DLC I should be able to get it from the steam interface. I don't want to have to download a separate interface and client for every damn company that wants to sell me DLC. When I reformat my computer I don't want to have to futz around with other sites that may not even be UP anymore. I just want Steam to handle it. That's why I like steam; it handles things for me. DLC should be part of that.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#115  Edited By the8bitNacho

@wolf_blitzer85: Origin.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By OldGuy
    @Nomin said:

DA2 sucks period. I just don't get the revisionist apologist fad coming around rearing its ugly head defending a subpar product. It has been cool to hate the product, so now I guess it is cool to go against the well established fact that DA2 blows chunks.

Not to continue this off topic tangent (which means, of course, that's EXACTLY what I'll do), but... Since I don't think that DA2 blew chunks I guess that means that I'm completely out of touch with "fact." Okay then.

Right, what else should I know here. World flat? Moon landing faked? I'm suddenly feeling like I just don't know how the world works anymore. Fact me up!
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#117  Edited By iamjohn
    @xobballox
    @iAmJohn said:
    @xobballox
    @CL60 said:
    @Donos said:

@iAmJohn said:

I wonder if the issue is that Valve wants to sell the DLC while EA wants to sell it themselves a la Bioware's site.

To my knowledge, this is it.

EA seems pretty justified to me. Just because Valve sold the base game shouldn't mean they have the exclusive right to sell every piece of related content. It sucks for Steam users that Valve won't let EA mange their own game.

This. EA seems justified in not wanting their games on Steam if Valve changed their TOS to say that. Shit like this makes me understand why people generally hate us PC gamers. We say we're all about choice but then a game isn't on steam and you all go apeshit, and wont buy a game that looks great simply because it's not on Steam. Just seems like pointless whining to me. It doesn't matter where I can buy the game. I'm going to buy the game regardless because it looks good.
    Exactly, this whole thing is not a big deal unless you like to whine about pointless shit for the sake of whining.
    What if I like Steam and think that the benefits of auto-patching and having everything in one place greatly outweighs my want to buy games anywhere else? What if I also think it's perfectly acceptable for Valve to want a cut of the DLC for a game they're hosting on their servers?
    I would argue it's not hard to open Origin for a quick patch (which is auto-patching I'm almost sure), then close Origin, and use Steam's add-non Steam game feature to put BF3 on your Steam game's list to use Steam stuff if having Steam stuff is a major issue for you.  Dragon Age 2 works fine like that.
    To you, maybe. However, having done that for years and having gotten to the point that I feel comfortable saying I'll probably never buy a PC game on disc again, that's more steps than I feel like. Being able to just launch Steam and not have to think about if there's a patch or if my drivers are up to date or anything is a huge plus to me, and if EA doesn't wanto play ball that way, then that's their call, but I feel perfectly fine saying that then they don't get guaranteed my money.
    Goronmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Goronmon
    @GrandHarrier said:
    (1) Exclusive control of a commodity or service in a particular market or a control that makes possible the manipulation of prices. (3) The exclusive possession or control of something.  These sound like good things to you? Do you honestly believe that were Valve to have complete marketshare, they'd continue to be the benevolent masters you so willingly support?
    Valve isn't a publicly-traded company, so they don't have the usual pressures to screw over their consumers like EA and Activision do, so I would be less concerned. So no, I don't necessarily believe they are filled with evil people hoping for a monopoly so they can start screwing every one over.

Plus, if they started truly abusing their position in the market, it wouldn't be terribly hard for someone to create a new distribution service to compete with them.
    bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#119  Edited By bacongames

There's a cost/reward analysis that EA has done that no one is mentioning here. They know the numbers and must have realized that losing distribution through Steam is less of a loss if they maintain all other partnerships and institute their in-game strategies that violates Valve's TOS.

EA isn't dumb, they've done their homework and know what they're doing. This wouldn't be happening if EA would be losing more money by forgoing Steam. However one has to wonder why other EA games get away with this like ME2 and DA:O. Last time I checked Cerberus network and "choose this dialog and buy DLC directly" in Dragon Age aren't exactly Steam friendly.

This is a pissing contest to see who flinches first. Either way EA gains more users for its own service, despite losing some goodwill points and not fighitng to keep it on Steam. However I can totally understand not letting Valve dictate the playing field all the time. Hell ask Randy Pitchford, he's not a fan of that shit despite coming around to it anyway. Money talks and it will once Battlefield 3 does or doesn't come to Steam after the initial sales are in.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#120  Edited By Kidavenger

EA doesn't compare to Blizzard in anyway whatsoever, Blizzard; like Valve have earned the players trust and fandom through decades of excellent games and goodwill towards the players, EA's hasn't earned any of this, and they aren't in the same class as far a PC gaming is concerned. On top of that, both Blizzard and Valve have excellent stores, downloaders and download policies, EA has already proven they can't get any of this right, hopefully they have fixed it with Origin, but somehow I doubt it.

Avatar image for apocalypselater
    ApocalypseLater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By ApocalypseLater

The thing that upsets me about this is that I doubt Battlefield's DLC will even be worth buying (aside from the probable GOTY edition). If it was given the same treatment as Crysis 2 and DA2 I could buy it before the DLC policy got it taken down. Would a GOTY edition with all of the DLC in the game in one shot be enough to avoid this?

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By lockwoodx

Steam is cool enough to let me download games years later if I want. Too bad EA/Origin doesn't do that.

1 year according to EA/Origin's Terms of Service as of June 3, 2011.

We do not guarantee that any Content or Entitlement will be available at all times or at any given time or that we will continue to offer particular Content or Entitlements for any particular length of time. We reserve the right to change and update Content and Entitlements without notice to you. If you have not used your Entitlements or Account for twenty four (24) months or more and your Account has associated Entitlements, your Entitlements will expire and your Account may be cancelled for non-use. Once you have redeemed your Entitlements, that content is not returnable, exchangeable, or refundable for other Entitlements or for cash, or other goods or services.

Goronmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Goronmon
    @Tuffgong said:

However one has to wonder why other EA games get away with this like ME2 and DA:O. Last time I checked Cerberus network and "choose this dialog and buy DLC directly" in Dragon Age aren't exactly Steam friendly.

Or one could say the situation with games like ME2 is the reason Valve changed this policy.
    picklecannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By picklecannon
    @MaFoLu said:

So, the way I understand it, Valve just wants all DLC to be available on Steam, and I don't think they want it exclusively on Steam, though I'm not sure about that part.

So, how can EA say that this "limits their ability to connect with the customer"?

I don't know how EA "connects with the customer" when said customer is buying DLC or downloading a patch other than having a chance to get them to buy more of their stuff, and therefore they don't like Steam trying to make the process of buying DLC or patching more transparent.

Now, I don't know whether any of this is true, maybe Valve just wants all DLC exclusively on Steam and if so, then they are the "bad guys", but as I understand it right now, EA just wants the ability to make all customers have to go to Origin so they can sell them more stuff.

Why would Valve all of a sudden want exclusivity on DLC when they haven't wanted it before. EA doesn't want to put DLC on any DD service and wants it all to go through origin, no matter where you originally purchase the game from (since you'll need origin anyways to play the game).
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By CL60
    @Buzzkill said:

Steam is cool enough to let me download games years later if I want. Too bad EA/Origin doesn't do that.

We do not guarantee that any Content or Entitlement will be available at all times or at any given time or that we will continue to offer particular Content or Entitlements for any particular length of time. We reserve the right to change and update Content and Entitlements without notice to you. If you have not used your Entitlements or Account for twenty four (24) months or more and your Account has associated Entitlements, your Entitlements will expire and your Account may be cancelled for non-use. Once you have redeemed your Entitlements, that content is not returnable, exchangeable, or refundable for other Entitlements or for cash, or other goods or services.

You know in Steams TOS it also says they may cancel your account for non-use after a certain amount of time? It's for their protection, and even if they do cancel it for non-use you can contact support and get it back.
    mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By mikey87144

As far as I know Valve doesn't care whether the DLC you sell is exclusive or not. Usually it's not. Their policy just says that if you are selling DLC that it has to be on the Steam store itself. If you want to sell it in game that's fine, it just has to be on the store too. EA was just making their DLC available through an in-game store only and not putting it on Steam.

gunharp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By gunharp

There is also a discussion about this on the site here: http://www.giantbomb.com/battlefield-3/61-27006/battlefield-3-will-not-be-on-steam-according-to-ea/35-506156/

For me it is is a non-issue. While I understand how this annoys some folks who only make purchases for PC games via steam. The levels of arguing and bullshit getting tossed out has been extreme. This is not an Origin vs. Steam issue, because you can buy the game from other digital storefronts and from retail. There are incentives to get this game at Origin with in game content bonuses and EA would like you to make the purchase there no doubt, but they are not forcing you to buy it from Origin. Also for me EA has never been a great publisher to buy from on Steam. They never utilized any of the great steam platform benefits (achievements, cloud saves, join server). Buying an EA game was the equivalent of adding the .exe to your steam library. Also after playing the Alpha, holy shit Battlelog is brilliant. I don't even think we will be clicking on a .exe for multiplayer. We'll all just be logging into what is basically Battlefield Facebook.

Everyone has the right to whine, I just don't buy that this is a big deal. Though I wonder if Origin wasn't a piece of software, would the amount of complaining still be as rampant?

Lets get to the real issue though. You still can't get Sins of A Solar Empire through Steam, haha. Or shoot plenty of other games. Yeah, yeah, EA's loss. But I do believe they want it on Steam given that its not exclusively on Origin unlike say SWTOR.

Oh and I forgot to add, that Age of Conan was also removed by Steam recently. Wheres the commotion! People might have actually lost keys.

@CL60:

Exactly, TOS's are odd.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By lockwoodx

It's all about advertising. That's where the real money with Origin lies. EA is a scumbag company.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#129  Edited By abendlaender

Imagine if EA walks into a GameStop and opens a little store there by themselves where they sell content to their games without paying GameStop.

Do you think GameStop would accept that? No they would throw them out. That's basically whats happening here, Valve doesn't want the exclusive rights for a game, they just want people to be able to buy DLC via steam.

I don't see anything wrong with that. Also, if they now decide to let EA have it's way, what reason would there be for other developers to sell their DLC via steam if they can just sell it ingame and don't have to pay Valve for their service?

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Enigma777

I've had more problems with Steam than Origin, so I really couldn't care. In fact I fully support this. It's about time someone other than Blizzard took a shot at Steam! And to all those saying you're not going to buy it cause it's not on Steam, stop lying to yourselves. It's rather pathetic.

Lobst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#131  Edited By Lobst

@Buck_Sexington: I get what you're saying, but it doesn't change the fact that people think less of EA -- which has a history of lowering its overhead at the cost of the end-user experience (with shady DLC integration, awful Xbox servers, and terrible digital storefront policies) -- than they do of Blizzard or Valve. Therefore, I implicitly trust that whatever Steam policy EA is raging against is there for a good reason -- and that whatever EA is doing hasn't been attempted by any other company, since EA is the only publisher to try stuff on this kind of level. (remember when they blackballed Microsoft from online play until they could get their way?)

I buy non-Steam games all the time because they come from sources I trust with my information/download licenses: Blizzard, GOG, and GFW Live. That is the critical difference at play here, and the reason I will not buy Battlefield 3 from Origin or Direct2Drive or whatever.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#132  Edited By JJOR64

:(

GrandHarrier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By GrandHarrier
    @Buzzkill said:

13. TERM AND TERMINATION

Either you or Valve has the right to terminate or cancel your Account or a particular Subscription at any time. You understand and agree that the cancellation of your Account or a particular Subscription is your sole right and remedy with respect to any dispute with Valve.

C. Termination by Valve.

1. In the case of a recurring payment Subscription (e.g., a monthly subscription), in the event that Valve terminates or cancels your Account or a particular Subscription for convenience, Valve may, but is not obligated to, provide a prorated refund of any prepaid Subscription fees paid to Valve.
    2. In the case of a one-time purchase of a product license (e.g., purchase of a single game) from Valve, Valve may choose to terminate or cancel your Subscription in its entirety or may terminate or cancel only a portion of the Subscription (e.g., access to the software via Steam) and Valve may, but is not obligated to, provide access (for a limited period of time) to the download of a stand-alone version of the software and content associated with such one-time purchase.

Steam could destroy your entire collection in a single fell swoop, if they decided too.

Steam user violates subscriber agreement, loses $1,800 in games

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/03/steam-user-violates-subscriber-agreement-loses-1800-in-games.ars

(Full disclosure, the fallout from this did seem to cause them to reinstate the account at a later date, but the fact that it CAN happen, should worry you)
    picklecannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By picklecannon
    @Enigma777 said:

I've had more problems with Steam than Origin, so I really couldn't care. In fact I fully support this. It's about time someone other than Blizzard took a shot at Steam! And to all those saying you're not going to buy it cause it's not on Steam, stop lying to yourselves. It's rather pathetic.

I'm not going to buy it because it's not on steam, but on the other hand I wouldn't have bought it even if it was on steam. Nevertheless there are people who probably will not buy it because it's not on steam and it's not surprising why. Hell, if some time next year I saw it on a steam sale for 20-30 bucks I'd buy it even though right now I have no intention of ever buying it.
    kerikxi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By kerikxi

Until somebody has the balls to come out and say, specifically, what clause EA is so intent on breaking, this is all colorful puffs of smoke.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#136  Edited By Hailinel

@m0rdr3d said:

@Hailinel said:

@bigscottie said:

first!

Not even. It is a failure of a post that couldn't even succeed at your shallow goal. A failure inside of a failure.

As for the subject of the article, I still have a very difficult time seeing this as anything more than EA's attempt to force PC customers into using Origin.

Says the guy who's already gotten the "first!" quest. lol

I didn't get it by leaping in and spamning "First." I wasn't even fully expecting to get it and yet managed to stumble across a freshly posted video that had yet to be put on the front page, giving me the time I needed to not be an idiot.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#137  Edited By Shivoa

EA want us all to know that we have choice, lots of choice.

We can buy games from any retailer who stock EA titles as long as we agree to only buy DLC directly from EA and not involve the retailer (or their ecosystem for patch delivery, highly encouraged sales efforts and so on) or we can not buy EA games on PC that contain DLC. That seems like quite a bastardisation of the word 'choice'.

Looking at competing publisher offerings (even those with a larger vested interest in not dealing with Steam unless they really have to, for example MS and Fable 3) it seems the rules are quite clear. If you release a new game on Steam then you must offer a direct Steam ecosystem DLC path for those customers. ie If you sell a game on Steam and it has paid DLC then that DLC must be purchaseable via the Steam store or it will be removed from the storefront. What Valve are not insisting on, but which EA seem to be trying to insinuate with their talk of choice and limiting, is to be the only supplier of that DLC.

When you buy DLC for Fable 3 on Steam Ms are complying with the rules to offer the option but maybe not the spirit as you are actually just buying a GfWL auth key that you enter into the in-game GfWL implementation to unlock and download your new content. EA could do exactly the same, they could release BF3 or return all these removed titles and include links in the games to buy DLC on Origin and all the other things they keep trying to imply Valve are trying to stop them doing, the one thing they can't do is offer no Steam DLC payment method. That is the rule they are choosing to break and that is getting the games kicked off Steam. They could do the same as MS and just use the Steam DLC store to sell auth keys for their own ecosystem (Bioware social points or Origin points or whatever they want to do) and that would comply with the rules and keep the games for sale on Steam.

But EA are all about giving consumers choice and fighting for the rights of those consumers. Just like they fought for making xbox consumers have better online experiences by telling MS they would only add Live if they could run their own matchmating servers, because all consumers like it when you switch off peer to peer matchmating in your games to push the new product. That's clearly working in your best interests. http://www.ea.com/1/service-updates

It's a shame great developers like DICE who create content of interest to so many PC gamers (when allowed to) are being used by EA to try and push their anti-Steam agenda and promote EA's Origin. Hopefully Valve will publicly comment on the misinformation EA are trying to spread (note how they avoid saying too much, implication and generic unquantifiable language only), that they haven't yet probably indicates some hope of a peaceful resolution to this issue.

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Renahzor
    @Enigma777:  

I absolutely will not buy the game if it isn't on Steam.  Never underestimate the power of a friends list that is *already installed* on my PC.  It was going to probably be a bit of an impulse buy on Steam as it is.  I don't *need* BF3, there's more games coming out this fall than I have time to play anyhow.  It would have been something I see on steam, and think, oh what the hell these 3 friends are playing so I'll grab it.  I'm not lying to myself, and I'm not buying a boxed retail copy, nor am I installing one of dozens of other (completely irrelevant) download services.  The game will sell well and be great without my purchase I'm sure.  They're competing with a LOT of great franchises this year for my gaming dollars, cutting off arguably the best PC platform overall seems like a pretty risky venture. 
    desolation15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By desolation15

Why now? After all these years, why Battlefield 3?

Because they know if there is a game they can try to pull this bulljive with, Battlefield 3 is it.

I'm holding out until this experiment fails and EA releases BF3 on Steam along with a bullcrap PR release. I give it three months, tops.

Or I could be wrong and you know... I'll get it after it's patched and when it's on sale on Origin.

saddlebrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#140  Edited By saddlebrown

@nmarchan said:

Because they're being jerks.

Valve has earned the benefit of the doubt because they pushed digital distribution when nobody else on PC was doing it, they continually improve their service and add cool features that offer benefits to the players, they give out tons of stuff for free, they offer the best prices in the DD game, and they have a history of NOT screwing over their customers.

EA, on the other hand, has a TERRIBLE history with PC gaming. So when it comes down to Valve's word vs EA's word, you better damn believe I'm going to side with Valve. Every single time.

"Because they're being jerks"? Really? Did EA tug on Valve's ponytails or something?

Everyone acts like Steam is perfect. Well, no, not really. Remember Valve exploiting their position as platform-holder to promote Portal 2 for like a month on Steam's front page? Remember when they got thousands of customers to buy games they might not have wanted just to try and unlock Portal 2 a few hours early? Remember how Steam is the one and only place you can download Valve games?

If EA wants to stop having to pay Valve royalties for DLC sales, then why is that wrong? EA is a business. Valve is a business. They both see you as credit cards with thumbs. That's all. Stop pretending like Valve cares about you. They don't. They just want a cut of the DLC.

And really, who gives a shit anyway? All the people saying "guess I'm not buying Battlefield 3" are being the biggest babies about this whole thing. Just buy the game and shut up.

Summoboomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Summoboomo
    @Buck_Sexington: EA's kind of always had shitty online service so I understand why people aren't willing to go to them for Origin. It's not a matter of 'it's currently cool to hate on EA', it's a matter of EA being shit in the past and Origin being a rebranded EADM, and no real assurance that the company's changed. 

It's really not Valve that's the problem. Valve works with Ubisoft and their Ubisoft launcher perfectly fine, as well as GFWL games requiring you to have GFWL to play them. It has to be EA specifically refusing to work with Valve on the issue. Valve likes making money. They make money by selling games on Steam, making deals with publishers/developers to have sales and the like. I doubt they're trying to snub EA because not selling EA games through their distributor is money they're not making.
    2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

I would like to know what exactly it is that EA is complaining about. Right now I can only assume they want to sell DLC only via origin or an in-game interface ... in that case I'm with valve.

In any case ... I will get the game as a retail copy and bind it to steam myself, done.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#143  Edited By spiceninja

That's cute. EA thinks they can hurt Steam.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CL60 said:

@Donos said:

@iAmJohn said:

I wonder if the issue is that Valve wants to sell the DLC while EA wants to sell it themselves a la Bioware's site.

To my knowledge, this is it.

EA seems pretty justified to me. Just because Valve sold the base game shouldn't mean they have the exclusive right to sell every piece of related content. It sucks for Steam users that Valve won't let EA mange their own game.

This. EA seems justified in not wanting their games on Steam if Valve changed their TOS to say that. Shit like this makes me understand why people generally hate us PC gamers. We say we're all about choice but then a game isn't on steam and you all go apeshit, and wont buy a game that looks great simply because it's not on Steam. Just seems like pointless whining to me. It doesn't matter where I can buy the game. I'm going to buy the game regardless because it looks good. Honestly Valve seem like the greedy ones here, not EA.

It has nothing to do with Valve's greed. They RIGHTFULLY don't want EA using Steam to make money that Valve won't get a cut of. How else are they supposed to operate?

Phenwah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Phenwah

Man, Megacorporation A are a bunch of soulless greedy bastards! Megacorporation B would never let me down.

Guys, let's all boycott Megacorporation A! Until a month from now when they release an enticing product we all end up buying anyway because we forgot why we were angry in the first place.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By iamjohn

@Phenwah said:

Man, Megacorporation A are a bunch of soulless greedy bastards! Megacorporation B would never let me down.

Guys, let's all boycott Megacorporation A! Until a month from now when they release an enticing product we all end up buying anyway because we forgot why we were angry in the first place.

I feel like you're kind of missing the point here, but you have a Sinistar avatar so I'll let it slide.

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#147  Edited By DrRandle

@Korne said:

Steam is totally in the right with this one... if you use the service to sell your game, you should also use the service to sell content for it, rather than skipping the distributor all together (even though they are using the steam servers).

^^^ This.

I hated buying ME2 on Steam when I couldn't turn around and get the DLC through the same service. The fact that I had to go through EA's terrible web-based store to purchase the DLC, then download and install each one of them separately (totalling in roughly 20 downloads, all said and down), it was a major pain in the ass. I say if EA doesn't want to play nice with Valve, and then turn around and blame Valve for trying to have a quality distribution service, then EA is in the wrong.

jasondesante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#148  Edited By jasondesante

"Limits the ability for the developer to connect with consumers and deliver patches and DLC"

Here is my experience, I want Mass Effect 2 DLC for PC.   I have to make MULTIPLE separate accounts outside of steam.  I have to enter in my credit card information in another separate website, buy and download my DLC in my WEB BROWSER...Then I have the wonderful privledge to MANUALLY PATCH the game with the DLC.   

Valve "limits their ability to connect" in every single good way possible.  Maybe Valve wants your stupid games to have free DLC, because Valve has proven it to make them more money and happier consumers.  Maybe Valve wants your games to automatically update instead of forcing everyone to manually patch their games.

Valve couldn't give a shit because EA is being 100% COUNTER PRODUCTIVEm and making it more difficult for the consumer to enjoy their shit.  The way EA says it, valve is limiting their ability to do what they want.  But the fact is, it is because Valve has higher standards and values the user's experience more.

You could buy EA DLC in the game, but everyone remembers what happened as soon as you clicked buy.  You weren't in game anymore, and there sure wasn't an automatic update that downloads the dlc after you buy it (like for example the borderlands DLC in steam)

m0rdr3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By m0rdr3d
    @Hailinel said:

@m0rdr3d said:

@Hailinel said:

@bigscottie said:

first!

Not even. It is a failure of a post that couldn't even succeed at your shallow goal. A failure inside of a failure.

As for the subject of the article, I still have a very difficult time seeing this as anything more than EA's attempt to force PC customers into using Origin.

Says the guy who's already gotten the "first!" quest. lol

I didn't get it by leaping in and spamning "First." I wasn't even fully expecting to get it and yet managed to stumble across a freshly posted video that had yet to be put on the front page, giving me the time I needed to not be an idiot.

Yeah yeah.  Nice try.  Unfortunately for you the internet keeps a record of these things... 

@Hailinel said: 
    "FIRSTXORS!!!1! 
    EDIT:  OHHH YEAH!!!!!"
    lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By lockwoodx

The one thing that people can't argue is Valve's reputation vs Electronic Art's. Sometimes when both sides have a strong case, we have to look back and reflect upon who these companies are, how they conduct their business, and consider how they can take the industry forward in the most beneficial way.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.