Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

EA Explains Why Battlefield 3 Might Not Appear on Steam

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#301  Edited By falling_fast

in my opinion, Steam is much better at customer service than EA is, so I find myself thinking that this must have to do with EA just wanting more money rather than being about giving customers a better experience. With Steam, you make an account, and buy stuff. it's simple. admittedly, the auto-updater is sometimes a pain, if you're like me and like to install mods for games, but it's not a huge problem. EA shoves its social networking nonsense down your throat (see: pre-ordering Old Republic). also, having owned more than one 360, I can say that the way mass effect 2 dlc works is really fucking stupid.

Jugglerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#302  Edited By Jugglerman

Does this mean that when PopCap through EA releases a new semi-DLC type game, that game is also pulled?

gesi1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#303  Edited By gesi1223
    @Infininja said:

@Gnorbooth said:

EA has every right to sell their games and DLC and get 100% of the profits. But if that's the case, then don't use someone else's service to promote and sell your games. Because if said service has now helped you in any way with promotion, sales, downloads, hosting, etc, then they are entitled to a cut.

I don't understand why Valve is entitled to a cut. Let's go back to the days of disc-based games and expansion packs. I buy The Sims at Best Buy. I love it. I play the game every day. I then find out that The Sims: Livin' Large came out this week. I'm nowhere near a Best Buy, but Walmart is just up the road. I purchase it there and install it and have a blast all over again.

Why does Best Buy deserve a cut?

This argument doesn't really apply, because if both the game and DLC are on Steam and no where else then why shouldn't Valve get a cut for having it sell on their service? Sure if you bought the game from another service and could use it in conjunction with Steam and Valve demanded a cut of the profits from that then, yes. 

Why should Valve get a cut?
    infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#304  Edited By infininja

@gesi1223 said:

@Infininja said:

@Gnorbooth said:

EA has every right to sell their games and DLC and get 100% of the profits. But if that's the case, then don't use someone else's service to promote and sell your games. Because if said service has now helped you in any way with promotion, sales, downloads, hosting, etc, then they are entitled to a cut.

I don't understand why Valve is entitled to a cut. Let's go back to the days of disc-based games and expansion packs. I buy The Sims at Best Buy. I love it. I play the game every day. I then find out that The Sims: Livin' Large came out this week. I'm nowhere near a Best Buy, but Walmart is just up the road. I purchase it there and install it and have a blast all over again.

Why does Best Buy deserve a cut?

This argument doesn't really apply, because if both the game and DLC are on Steam and no where else then why shouldn't Valve get a cut for having it sell on their service? Sure if you bought the game from another service and could use it in conjunction with Steam and Valve demanded a cut of the profits from that then, yes. Why should Valve get a cut?

That's the whole point of this discussion. The game is on Steam, but the DLC isn't. Valve is forcing the DLC to be on Steam in order to get a cut.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#305  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Wow sure alot of People riding the Preverbial balls of Steam and wishing it were a monopoly in the Digital Distribution arena  *Which users have already made it into* 
    Avatar image for sexualbubblegumx
    SexualBubblegumX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WilliamRLBaker
    It's because people don't understand how bad monpolies can fuck over other buisnesses and consumers alike. When these kids grow up they'll understand how ignorant they're being.
    MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#307  Edited By MeatSim

They need to stop trying to shove Origin down everyone's throats.

zFUBARz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#308  Edited By zFUBARz

considering how god awful it has been to play EA games, even on consoles for over now I gotta take valve's side here. I mean shit back in original xbox days EA wouldn't even get with the standardized friends list thing. they're just stubborn assholes.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#309  Edited By yukoasho
    @WilliamRLBaker said:

Wow sure alot of People riding the Preverbial balls of Steam and wishing it were a monopoly in the Digital Distribution arena  *Which users have already made it into* 

Not sure if it's so much wishing for a monopoly as it is the fear of everyone making their own client eventually.  Part of the reason Steam has done so well is that it's the de facto standard for digital distribution, like a PC version of XBLA or PSN.  Making it so that people have to have a separate account and client for every publisher will almost certainly retard the PC digital distribution market.

Which suits me fine as I prefer physical, but that's me. :)
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#310  Edited By RsistncE
    @SexualBubblegumX said:
    @WilliamRLBaker: It's because people don't understand how bad monpolies can fuck over other buisnesses and consumers alike. When these kids grow up they'll understand how ignorant they're being.
    All though I fully appreciate all this "DUR HUR MONOPOLIES BAD" discussion, the fact of the matter is that the argument of Steam becoming a monopoly is moot; why? Because Steam is fucking awesome.
    Avatar image for sexualbubblegumx
    SexualBubblegumX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RsistncE
    Mindless fanboys should be seen and not heard.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.