Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Favorite SP Level? *Spoilers*

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

Yeah. The campaign ain't revolutionary and I am not a big fan of the slow moving quiet missions and the on-rails stuff (and of course not a fan of the scripting oddities quite common in this type of game either) - but some levels are amazing nonetheless. While I'm personally not done with the campaign yet, I can scarcely image that DICE has topped the 'GRU operative Dima & Friends hunting down the S-Nuke in Paris level'.

From the opening in the car, which is quite literally Paris brought to life in-engine, to the 'Die Hard' shootouts in the toxic gas filled bureau complex, to the 'Heat' portion on the streets of Paris, chasing down terrorists and taking on French cops. That level was perfectly paced, beautifully rendered and exciting throughout. While I certainly haven't played all games of this type, this is definitely the best one I've consumed personally. Absolutely stunning.

Just now finished up the level, where a valley is overrun by Russians and that 'South-by-Southwest' moment with the bomber jet at the end. That was pretty awesome too. There's definitely some meat and stand-out moments worthy of my time in the campaign. Which is your favorite moment?

That level was as close as it gets to Heat's legendary shoot-out after the big bank job.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b
    deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I don't want to say it was my favorite moment, however when during the tank mission when you are extracting the nuke to the heli your tank gets over run by men. That was pretty bad ass and created a bit of realization and fear in my eyes if I was in that soldiers shoes.

Liber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Liber

Jets.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Patman99

The part where I try and capture flags with my my 31 teammates...

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Cloudenvy

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Spoonman671

I'm pretty fond of the Uprising level, which takes place at night after the earthquake.  Crawling your way through an army of bad dudes while they try to lure you out by offering help is pretty cool.  Also, I think this is the level where that epic battle with the rat takes place.

Overall the campaign has a nice, brisk pace that gives you a good variety of things to do.  Just don't play it on hard.  It's a nightmare.

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By InfiniteGeass

I like the one where you shoot guys.

RadixNegative2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By RadixNegative2

I used to live in Tehran, so those levels where you're going through the city at night were probably my favorite. After that it would be the Comrades mission and then the Jet mission.

CrimsonNoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By CrimsonNoir

I think the Dimi levels were the most fun. The campaign had so much potential, but the QTE were really boring and I like QTE! I think if they would have allowed you to recover from a missed prompted (rather than automatically dying) and continue with the QTE i wouldn't have disliked them so much.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DonPixel

The jet mission is allright and damn this game single player looks so good I almost can't believe it.

To bad is so boring and generic thou.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Franstone

Don't understand all the hate on the campaign (oh yea, wait, people...).

I had a blast throughout the whole thing.

QTEs could have been a bit more involved/interactive.

I played through it in two 4 and 1/2 hour sittings so it's kind of a blur as to which one sticks out the most.

There were many cool moments though.

Great looking exciting set pieces.

What more could you want, was more fun than sitting through most action movies.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Blackout62

@CrimsonNoir said:

I think the Dimi levels were the most fun. The campaign had so much potential, but the QTE were really boring and I like QTE! I think if they would have allowed you to recover from a missed prompted (rather than automatically dying) and continue with the QTE i wouldn't have disliked them so much.

Fun fact: the final QTE, the one you shouldn't be able to recover from on principle, is the one you can recover from. I missed one button, took a punch to the head and just kept on going.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By big_jon

Tank one was cool.

noremnants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By noremnants

@Jmangino: Except I was shooting the dudes as they were running up to my tank and they were invincible. Pretty bad scripting IMO. They could have at least just kept sending huge waves at you that nobody would be able to kill.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By Bollard

@Franstone said:

Don't understand all the hate on the campaign (oh yea, wait, people...).

I had a blast throughout the whole thing.

QTEs could have been a bit more involved/interactive.

I played through it in two 4 and 1/2 hour sittings so it's kind of a blur as to which one sticks out the most.

There were many cool moments though.

Great looking exciting set pieces.

What more could you want, was more fun than sitting through most action movies.

This, but it only took me one 6 hour sitting. I don't get the hate either.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16  Edited By Seppli

@Chavtheworld: @Franstone:

I hate two moments in the campaign. The first is where I've got to 'shoot the car'. I had two sniper rifles for some reason and I've failed the event so often it hurt my ego. It wasn't exactly well executed either.

In all seriousness, the moment where Blackburn shoots his CO. It's just not what I would have done, nor do I believe it's what the character would have done. It felt so fucking wrong, especially since it was interactive. Why did I have to pull the trigger myself? That would have been the place for a 'Mass Effect/Alpha Protocol' conversation wheel.

Yep - this type of campaign would be way more awesome, if it was only a 3 hours to play-through, though there was interactive conversations and another decisions, which would give you a whole other experience (levels and ending). Kinda like a simplified 'Heavy Rain'.

withateethuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By withateethuh

The Paris mission was pretty awesome. Very hectic but had lots of moving around.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b
    deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Havox said:

@Jmangino: Except I was shooting the dudes as they were running up to my tank and they were invincible. Pretty bad scripting IMO. They could have at least just kept sending huge waves at you that nobody would be able to kill.

I didnt have that issue. Once the heli came to pick the guys up i was still able to kill people it wasnt until smoke was around me when I was like wtfff

noremnants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By noremnants

@Jmangino: Maybe I just happened to be shooting at the one that was scripted to knock me out. I thought that was a great mission up to that point.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By delta_ass

Yeah, I liked "Comrades", but my favorite level was probably the Super Hornet sequence.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By MachoFantastico

While you didn't do a lot, I thought the jet sequence was entertaining.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Vodun

Don't know the name of the level, but the part where you play as Dima and jump out the plane...and the Battlefield theme starts to play...I got chills (dear god I'm a fanboy).

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By SpencerTucksen

I'd say Night Shift. The game was obnoxiously loud when it didn't need to be, at times, so it was nice to use some semblance of stealth on occasion.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#24  Edited By GS_Dan

The Paris and Jet sections were great. I really enjoyed the campaign overall, didn't really get the whole shoot your CO thing though.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By RIDEBIRD

I'd say this is like the best COD campaign yet. No real sarcasm there, I mean it's quite obvious where they got this shit from :p

LOVE the Comrades mission. So goddamn intense. Loved the campaign overall, except for a few of the earlier, kinda shit, missions.

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By white

HALO jumping with the BF3 theme is awesome.

The jets level is complete rubbish though. What a fucking boring letdown that was.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Arker101

My favorite part was where it ended, and I started up Multiplayer.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By themangalist
    @Arker101 said:

My favorite part was where it ended, and I started up Multiplayer.

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By gunslingerNZ

@Havox said:

Yeah that bit had me yelling at my screen, could have easily lasted another minute but instead I had my gun blasting right through a guys chest as he ran all the way up to my tank and climbed on board, fucking ridiculous.

Nightfall was probably my favourite, I really like sniper missions and defending Al Bashir was kind of neat. It was annoying how they didn't let you onto the Heli for about a minute at the end there though. I played the game on hard and a lot of the time I'd get shot down running up the ramp after I'd waited for everyone else to climb on board.

Overall the campaign was fun enough but the bugs were a real killer for me in the end. I came across two gamebreaking bugs which made me restart missions several times over and completely killed the flow of the game. The weirdest one was after I shot Cole to save Dima, the game just sat there watching his lifeless corpse, took me about a minute to decide that they weren't trying to give my character a reflective moment and the game had actually glitched out.

fentonalpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By fentonalpha

The credits were pretty interesting i guess.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By Samaritan

The Paris mission was the only mission in the game that I felt was doing things I hadn't seen before, mostly in the environmental destruction. The shootouts in the office buildings were hectic and crazy fun to engage in. Missing your target would just lead to more shit exploding.

tgammet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By tgammet

"Kaffarov" followed by "Thunder Run" for me.

"Kaffarov" was just the most fun to play. You run in with your dudes and just wreck house on his bodygaurds until the bloody end. IMO it needed better checkpoints, but it was still the best part until where you fall into the swimming pool.

"Thunder Run" was just really awesome looking, and hey you actually get to play as a woman in one of these games for a change!

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#33  Edited By huntad

@Spoonman671 said:

I'm pretty fond of the Uprising level, which takes place at night after the earthquake. Crawling your way through an army of bad dudes while they try to lure you out by offering help is pretty cool. Also, I think this is the level where that epic battle with the rat takes place. Overall the campaign has a nice, brisk pace that gives you a good variety of things to do. Just don't play it on hard. It's a nightmare.

I beat it on hard, lol. It's actually not as hard as something like Uncharted or Call of Duty and I beat it the day after I beat it on normal.

Anyways, I liked the Rock and a Hard Place level, because it felt really open compared to the other levels.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By CheapPoison

the one where Paris gets nuked...

Mostly..; cause Paris gets nuked in that level.

... what can i say...

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By natetodamax

The jet one. Visually it was amazing.

noremnants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By noremnants

@gunslingerNZ said:

@Havox said:

Yeah that bit had me yelling at my screen, could have easily lasted another minute but instead I had my gun blasting right through a guys chest as he ran all the way up to my tank and climbed on board, fucking ridiculous.

Nightfall was probably my favourite, I really like sniper missions and defending Al Bashir was kind of neat. It was annoying how they didn't let you onto the Heli for about a minute at the end there though. I played the game on hard and a lot of the time I'd get shot down running up the ramp after I'd waited for everyone else to climb on board.

Overall the campaign was fun enough but the bugs were a real killer for me in the end. I came across two gamebreaking bugs which made me restart missions several times over and completely killed the flow of the game. The weirdest one was after I shot Cole to save Dima, the game just sat there watching his lifeless corpse, took me about a minute to decide that they weren't trying to give my character a reflective moment and the game had actually glitched out.

I had the same thing happen to me on Nightfall. I kept trying to run up onto the chopper because it kept telling me it was time to go, I would run up, start getting shot and then run back down and go prone behind a wall. Took about 4 rounds of that before I was able to actually get on board.

That part where you have to shoot Cole had me so confused. He shot me the first time and I was like what the hell. I tried again and just stood there because it didn't make it super clear that you were supposed to shoot him and then finally I tried shooting him and it worked.

birchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By birchman

Probably the jet level. It felt pretty cool.

Stingraymond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Stingraymond

None of them, they're all crap.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.