Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Frostbite 2 Performance Incredibly Improved?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

I'm playing BF3 in bursts. Every couple of moths, I'm playing it intesively for a month or so, before it peters off again for a bit. Everytime I come back though, the game runs smoother. I was quite afraid of Armored Kill, because Operation Firestorm crashed my rig with a scary regularity at first. All the way to the boot-up screen.

DICE really is getting a handle on Frostbite 2 now. The maps of Armored Kill are insanely big, filled to the brim with details and destructibilty, featuring scores and scores of vehicles - and I've got zero performance issue on my 1GB HD5870 on high/ultra settings. It's unbelievably smooth and pretty. In fact, it's smoother than it ever was before.

How's performance for you guys? Did BF3 and Frostbite 2 improve for you too? Did the console versions get smoother too?

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By SSully

I recently uninstalled it, I would like to give it another go. It would be nice because performace was always super spotty for me. Sometimes I would play a variety of maps on all high/ultra settings and it would be as smooth as butter, then randomly it would run like shit even after I tone it down to low/medium.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Wemibelle

The only problems I've ever had with BF3 was due to the game not getting enough memory. Once I fixed that (which was extremely easy, once I figured out how to do it), it has run beautifully. Haven't touched my settings since I set them.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Justin258

I've got a 7770 and I've had no performance issues.

Then again, I didn't even mess with the graphics options, I left it right where auto put it (high textures, medium everything else). The only thing I did was set it to 720p. I could probably bump it up, but thus far it's stayed at consistent 60FPS without any stuttering or drops that I notice, which is precisely what I wanted, so I don't really want to mess with it.

EDIT: It's worth noting that I've only been playing since Saturday evening. From what I've understood, though, BF3 has been well optimized from the get-go, it's just better optimized now than it was at launch.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By mosdl

Drivers have also gotten better over time, every few months Nvidia posts one with X% BF3 performance increase.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.