Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Full 12min 'Fault Line' Trailer is Here!

• 68 results
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

Finally, the SP hype comes full circle and we get the full 12min 'Fault Line' demo. Hoping this is it from singleplayer for now and multiplayer finally gets its well deserved marketing focus. Guessing that will start around E3, when DICE has nailed down the particulars for the Beta build. 

Enjoy.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic

dude thats AWESOME! they released it early because they care ;p

edit: 4 minutes in. this is awesome...

edit edit: awesome trailer ! (i havent said the word awesome quite enough yet)
    i was hoping to see those tanks/jets in action, but nope they still just teased them at the end quickly :(  ohwell, great footage.
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By PhatSeeJay

Watching now.

Bit of a shame they didn't throw in a snippet of multiplayer to push the expectations up, but damn. Still very impressive stuff.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

ALL UNITS

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Zereta

Basically the full demo shown during GDC (Complete with that little bit at the end). 

Ergo,

Basically, the last 4 trailers (Fault Line Episodes 1, 2 and 3 and "My Life") combined into one.

This 12 minute video was overhyped but DAYUMM IF BF3 AIN'T LOOKING MIGHTY AWESOME. GOTY 2011 MOFOS.
    thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By thehexeditor
    @Zereta said:
    "GOTY 2011 MOFOS. "
    A pretty Battlefield with a Call of Singleplayer and multiplayer we have seen nothing of so far does not a GOTY 2011 make.
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By OmegaPirate

I really wish i hadn't seen all the 'shorts' of the trailer in advance, still i really can't wait for this game, just gotta grab myself a 580 by the time it comes out and then sit and bask in this games glory :D

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Azteck

Oh my god that game. That game looks so unbelievably amazing. I want it now

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @PhatSeeJay said:
    " Watching now.Bit of a shame they didn't throw in a snippet of multiplayer to push the expectations up, but damn. Still very impressive stuff. "
    the BF3 community manager said in a recent podcast that they really wanna please the fans and show MP, but since the game is still being developed, they might show things that will later be cut out due to excessive memory usage etc... so they dont wanna show us X then cut it out of the game later om

if you ask me, they done fucked up getting us hyped for a game an entire year before its release date.. an entire year of living in the illusion of the game being almost done. its no where near that.. DICE are straight up screwing with our emotions :P
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Jimbo

Visually amazing.  Gameplay looks boring as hell so far.  The guy is playing the HUD half the time. Follow the blue text, kill the guy with the blue dot over him, watch this fist fight, watch your guy defuse a bomb, watch this building fall down...

Looks like it'll be a decent enough movie, but I hope the SP becomes a game at some point.

LeYcH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By LeYcH
    @Jimbo said:
    " Visually amazing.  Gameplay looks boring as hell so far.  The guy is playing the HUD half the time. Follow the blue text, kill the guy with the blue dot over him, watch this fist fight, watch your guy defuse a bomb, watch this building fall down...Looks like it'll be a decent enough movie, but I hope the SP becomes a game at some point. "
    It's an FPS game, and a Single Player what were you expecting?
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Seppli
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:

" @PhatSeeJay said:

" Watching now.Bit of a shame they didn't throw in a snippet of multiplayer to push the expectations up, but damn. Still very impressive stuff. "

the BF3 community manager said in a recent podcast that they really wanna please the fans and show MP, but since the game is still being developed, they might show things that will later be cut out due to excessive memory usage etc... so they dont wanna show us X then cut it out of the game later om
    if you ask me, they done fucked up getting us hyped for a game an entire year before its release date.. an entire year of living in the illusion of the game being almost done. its no where near that.. DICE are straight up screwing with our emotions :P
    "
    Actually, BF3 Beta will quite certainly go live this summer sometime after E3. You can be certain it's EA/DICE's target to nail down MP specifics for beta in that timeframe. Release is in September/Novemember. That's much sooner than you might think. That's like tomorrow.

I'll be playing BF3 in 2-3 months tops.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @LeYcH said:

" @Jimbo said:

" Visually amazing.  Gameplay looks boring as hell so far.  The guy is playing the HUD half the time. Follow the blue text, kill the guy with the blue dot over him, watch this fist fight, watch your guy defuse a bomb, watch this building fall down...Looks like it'll be a decent enough movie, but I hope the SP becomes a game at some point. "
    It's an FPS game, and a Single Player what were you expecting? "
    there's a game called Crysis. you should play it.. then you'll get your answer

@OmegaPirate said: 

" I really wish i hadn't seen all the 'shorts' of the trailer in advance, still i really can't wait for this game, just gotta grab myself a 580 by the time it comes out and then sit and bask in this games glory :D "

i like the way you think! i think im gonna blow some of my university money on a 580.. ohwell 
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Seppli
    @Jimbo said:
    Apparently SP shall serve as tutorial as well. So there will be more free roaming tank and chopper and jet missions. At least that's how I interpret that statement.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Seppli said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic said:

" @PhatSeeJay said:

"
    Actually, BF3 Beta will quite certainly go live this summer sometime after E3. You can be certain it's EA/DICE's target to nail down MP specifics for beta in that timeframe. Release is in September/Novemember. That's much sooner than you might think. That's like tomorrow.I'll be playing BF3 in 2-3 months tops. "
    any idea when the Bad Company 2 beta ran and for how long? (just for comparison's sake) .. i didnt play it, i waited for the official release

either way, i should buy Medal of Honor to get a beta code.. >_>
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PhatSeeJay
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:

" @Seppli said:

" @Ahmad_Metallic said:

" @PhatSeeJay said:

"
    Actually, BF3 Beta will quite certainly go live this summer sometime after E3. You can be certain it's EA/DICE's target to nail down MP specifics for beta in that timeframe. Release is in September/Novemember. That's much sooner than you might think. That's like tomorrow.I'll be playing BF3 in 2-3 months tops. "
    any idea when the Bad Company 2 beta ran and for how long? (just for comparison's sake) .. i didnt play it, i waited for the official release

either way, i should buy Medal of Honor to get a beta code.. >_>
    "
     A PS3 version of the beta started on November 19,while the PC version was pushed back until February 2010 because there were difficulties with PC varieties. The online multiplayer demo for the Xbox 360 and the beta for the PC were released on January 28, 2010, and servers ran until February 25.
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By Rhaknar

yup, that looks fucking awesome alright, graphics wise i mean. The game looks like just another modern military shooter tho, so its not doing much for me.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Jimbo said:

You know your avatar is from a LucasArts Adventure right? 
    blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By blueduck
    @Jimbo said:
    This. It just looks like Call of the Scripted adventure and they still haven't shown what people actually want the game for multiplayer.
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#20  Edited By big_jon

They spent all this time hyping the same trailer and I've lost interest.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Seppli
    @m0rdr3d said:
    "

It looks promising and all, but man, that trailer made me a little sick.  Guess it was the framerate.  ...BUT it's "pre-alpha" so I won't judge.

"
    Judging framerate by a videostream? That thing's probably doing 24 FPS or so. No matter how smooth (or not) it ran when it was recorded.

I remember having DL'd the first 'Fault Line' trailer in 1080p at 60 FPS. It makes a world of difference.
    unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By unchained

I'm normally not very interested in military fps, I passed on the last 3 CoDs and Bad Company 2, and whatever else came out. That said, I'll be picking this up day one. It looks utterly stunning, and fun.  

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jimbo
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @Jimbo said:

You know your avatar is from a LucasArts Adventure right?  "
    Yes.  A mentally engaging game, as opposed to another SP shooter you can just switch off and autopilot your way through. 

I have nothing against what they're trying to do here as a product, but this (what they have shown of SP so far) is barely even a game.  It's just watching a fancy script play out.  Throwing the occasional shooting gallery at the player is the bare minimum they can do to keep the player engaged.  And are people really so dense nowadays that they can't follow their own squad without FOLLOW floating above them?

If the whole campaign is like this, then I've no doubt I'll watch it and it'll be fine for what it is, but I hope it opens up into something a little more ambitious and engaging.  I'm thinking of something like old skool Ghost Recon, Hidden & Dangerous, or even Codename Eagle iirc: ie. here's an open map, some objectives to complete, figure out for yourself how you want to get it done.  Basically I'd like it to gradually progress from CoD at the start, towards BF3 Multiplayer at the end.
    Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By MachoFantastico

Goosebumps! DICE are by far the best when it comes to sound in games. 

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Marz

sound design is pretty awesome.  But yeah if they added a hudless single player mode it would be very interesting to play.

fudge91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By fudge91

Man they really REALLY need to tone down the bloom, it's waaaay too much. Other then that the action it self looks pretty intense, though a bit scripted. I hope they give you more room to choose your own path, like instead of going through the door. Going in the side alley with the barking dog, to add some more replayabilty.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Jimbo said:
    " @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @Jimbo said:

You know your avatar is from a LucasArts Adventure right?  "
    Yes.  A mentally engaging game, as opposed to another SP shooter you can just switch off and autopilot your way through. 

I have nothing against what they're trying to do here as a product, but this (what they have shown of SP so far) is barely even a game.  It's just watching a fancy script play out.  Throwing the occasional shooting gallery at the player is the bare minimum they can do to keep the player engaged.  And are people really so dense nowadays that they can't follow their own squad without FOLLOW floating above them?If the whole campaign is like this, then I've no doubt I'll watch it and it'll be fine for what it is, but I hope it opens up into something a little more ambitious and engaging.  I'm thinking of something like old skool Ghost Recon, Hidden & Dangerous, or even Codename Eagle iirc: ie. here's an open map, some objectives to complete, figure out for yourself how you want to get it done.  Basically I'd like it to gradually progress from CoD at the start, towards BF3 Multiplayer at the end. "
    Full Throttle arguably marked the beginning of LucasArts decline (it's a toss-up between it and The Dig - both games failed miserably in terms of sales and critical reception).  It wasn't very cerebral, nor very clever, it didn't have good combat or driving mechanics in its driving sections and the end game sequence was little more than a poorly directed and cued quicktime event.  I love LucasArts games as much as any fan, but your previous comments on this game are riddled with irony when you have that as an avatar.

As your comments on the SP, yes it seems people are that dense if sales of Modern Borefare 2 are anything to go by.  Critically MW2 and BLOps SP campaigns have been acclaimed and praised.  That's the kind of experience that sells.  It's the kind of experience that people want in SP FPS.  I wonder though, did you criticise MW2 and such just as harshly or are you just saving this litany for BF3?  I ask because I think your criticism while valid is also kind of late in the game and it seems strange to complain about such standard SP FPS at this stage, especially as you know (referencing Code Name Eagle of all things) that DICE's strength is large scale multiplayer ground force and vehicular combat.  ie here's a person who seems like they're trying to complain about something which everyone already knows is true, figure out for yourself why they're choosing this specific game to complain about right now.  Basically what you want isn't what's happening in FPS SP experiences these days.  The MP is where BF is at anyway, FOLLOW me?
    ErrorOperator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ErrorOperator

DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN... DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#29  Edited By natetodamax
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:

" dude thats AWESOME! they released it early because they care ;p

i was hoping to see those tanks/jets in action, but nope they still just teased them at the end quickly :(  ohwell, great footage.
    "

Weren't you shitting on the game not too long ago?
    Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By awesomeusername

I wish it didn't have to end.:'( Give me the game already! The ending was epic too!

droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By droop

Another game that insits on doing "RAMIREZ, DO EVERYTHING!" ..

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By CaptainCody

ITT: People trying to be buzzkills.
    Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Looking pretty awesome so far. All I ask is for the ability to turn that "Follow" icon off!

s7evn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By s7evn

Oh god, I need a new PC this summer to play this.

swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By swamplord666

disappointed it wasn't more gameplay from the vehicles but great trailer anyway. Just want to see the multiplayer now. I may be alone on this but I do hope they add a few elements from MAG (specifically the domination gametype even if it's only on one front with 64 players). objective based multiplayer ftw!

fugie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36  Edited By fugie7

The video looks amazing ! I hope that they release a demo of it soon.

ErrorOperator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ErrorOperator
    @fugie7: If you bought Medal of Honor you will automatically be in the BF3 Multiplayer beta which should be in a few months
    fugie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38  Edited By fugie7
    @ErrorOperator:  i did bought medal of honor. thanks for telling me. I forgot about that.
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39  Edited By Bollard
    @PhatSeeJay said:

" Watching now. Bit of a shame they didn't throw in a snippet of multiplayer to push the expectations up, but damn. Still very impressive stuff. "

They've already said they're holding back all information/images of the multiplayer for as long as possible because:

we want to ensure that when we [release multiplayer info] the public will go crazy.

Boom.

@Ahmad_Metallic said:
    @OmegaPirate said: 

" I really wish i hadn't seen all the 'shorts' of the trailer in advance, still i really can't wait for this game, just gotta grab myself a 580 by the time it comes out and then sit and bask in this games glory :D "

i like the way you think! i think im gonna blow some of my university money on a 580.. ohwell 
    "
    So glad I went all out on this gaming rig I built and got a 580. With Skyrim and BF3 coming this Autumn I'm gunna be spending all mah time indoors ;) Best £500 I've spent! (similarly, also the only time I've spent that kind of money haha!)
    vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

Looks like a really pretty FPS, filled with scripted events. I remain to impressed.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jimbo
    @SeriouslyNow:  True you don't need to be in MENSA to get through Full Throttle, but it doesn't explicitly write on the screen exactly what you need to do to advance the game either.  You simply could not get through something like Full Throttle without at least being somewhat mentally engaged, whereas this looks like it pretty much plays itself.  They are not comparable in terms of mental effort required at all.

I know why they're copying CoD so directly, I just hope they're more ambitious later on than they are in this trailer.  They're gonna have the maps and engine to do that if they want to.  If they're smart enough about it, I think they could take the CoD-only crowd and, over the course of the game, make them realise that needing to occasionally think for yourself in a game isn't as intimidating as they may think and can actually be quite satisfying.  I don't think they're gonna "take down" CoD by just making a carbon copy - they tried that already with Medal of Honor.

As a side note, I just saw my first Battlefield 3 TV ad, so I guess we know they're not pulling any punches on marketing this time.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't give a shit what anyone says, I want this fucking game.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By PhatSeeJay
    @Chavtheworld said:

" @PhatSeeJay said:

" Watching now. Bit of a shame they didn't throw in a snippet of multiplayer to push the expectations up, but damn. Still very impressive stuff. "

They've already said they're holding back all information/images of the multiplayer for as long as possible because:

we want to ensure that when we [release multiplayer info] the public will go crazy.

Boom.

I already know why. Doesn't mean I consider it to be any less of a shame that there wasn't at least something "new" in the 12 minute video to make the wait worth it.
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44  Edited By Bollard
    @PhatSeeJay: Oh, sorry for telling you what you already knew! I was just saying in case you were still expecting MP info to come out any moment haha :)
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By BraveToaster

This looks damn good.

npeterson08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By npeterson08

Something bothered me about the reload animation for the assault rifle. It looked weird, just tilting the gun to the side and replacing the cartridge with one hand. I know it sounds nit-picky, but that should be a compliment because it's the only thing I didn't care for throughout the trailer.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By PhatSeeJay

No Caption Provided
    First time I noticed this, but I saw some Swedish delivery boxes and they didn't even put the box with that side facing up. Doubt it was handled with care. :P
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Seppli
    @npeterson08 said:

" Something bothered me about the reload animation for the assault rifle. It looked weird, just tilting the gun to the side and replacing the cartridge with one hand. I know it sounds nit-picky, but that should be a compliment because it's the only thing I didn't care for throughout the trailer. "

Apparently, that's how it's done. I remember having read a complaint about the M16/M4 (whatever) reload animation being too complicated and that there's some kind of quick reload mechanism for reloading 'just like that'. Guess they fixed that to make all the gun nuts happy... now the 'non-gun-knowledgable' crowd thinks it's bad.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @ErrorOperator said:
    " DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN... DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN "
    /followed

@natetodamax said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic said:

" dude thats AWESOME! they released it early because they care ;p

"

Weren't you shitting on the game not too long ago? "
    it's a lovehate thing.. its hard to explain. i worship the series but loathe whats becoming of it .. 
    npeterson08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By npeterson08
    @Seppli:  Well I definitely am "non-gun-knowledgeable," but it still seems weird. I guess if that's actually how an M16 is reloaded, I'd rather have realism because that's typically what the Battlefield franchise has been aiming at.

Maybe they should add more movement to the animation to emphasize the weight of the weapon? Pointing the gun down at an angle while reloading instead of just turning it to the side isn't necessarily incorrect but might look better.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.