Game Informer InDepth Battlefield 3 Facts Leak (via NeoGAF)

  • 94 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by Seppli (10250 posts) -

Some dude got his Game Informer early...

 
Here's the list he compiled.
 

 -Aiming for CY Q4 2011 release
-Concept for BF3 has been in the works for years, waiting on proper tech to seamlessly come together
-Frosbite 2.0 is the culmination of this tech, entirely re-written
-Lighting sounds neat, one "probe" contains more lighting information than an entire BFBC2 level.
-Level destruction is going to be "believable" but basically everything is destructible.
-Character animations powered by ANT, what EA Sports uses.
-AI characters and multiplayer characters have different animation sets
-No more "gliding" animations that look off, animation realism is a focus
-Captured their own war audios (bullets, tanks, helicopters, etc) at different distances to ensure realism
-Better audio cues for certain actions, more easily able to listen for threats
-Plan on better, more immediate post release content
-More unlocks than BFBC2
-Dice trying to find a good balance between customization of your character and not having "pink rabbit hat(s)"
-4 classes
-Will talk about squads "later"
-Looking into a theater mode but can't talk about it
-Will have co-op
-There will be a kill-cam but it can be turned off
-BF3's team is almost twice as big as the team for BFBC2
-They want the pacing of the single player mode to be balanced, with highs and lows. Makes the comparison to a song vs a guitar solo.
-Part of the single player mode takes place in Sulaymaniyah - Iraqi Kurdistan.
-"Fuck" will be used often, so M rated for sure
- There will be an earthquake in a level. The destruction sounds very impressive. 7 story building collapses, looks very well done
-Significant narrative that goes with the SP mode
-More than one setting, you're not in the middle east for the whole game
-PC version is lead version
-Why 64 players for PC only? No complains from the console crowd.
-No mod tools at release. Maybe none down the line either. Frosbite 2.0 is complex and mods tools would have to be dumbed down, so does Dice really want to put their time to that or would it be better spent elsewhere?
-Original story, not based on Bad Company at all.

Apparently there's gonna be scans with BF3 screenshots soon. Look alive soldier! And keep an eye on the following NeoGAF thread!
 
 http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=421095 
 
Enjoy!
#2 Posted by Callmehyde (9 posts) -

I wish I had a PC that could handle BF3. So excited for this game, even though I'm on a console.

#3 Posted by Vorbis (2750 posts) -

64 or 24? Yeah I'm going to have to get this on PC.

#4 Posted by gamb1t (963 posts) -

I didnt get much out of this leak... lol

#5 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

OH SHIT!!! They are going to say 'fuck' in the game?!?! EXTREME!!!!

#6 Posted by No0b0rAmA (1478 posts) -

Four classes? No mod support? Are you fucking kidding me?

#7 Posted by Seppli (10250 posts) -

Looking foward to seeing the 7-stories building collapse. Wonder if that's on consoles too.
 
Rumour has it, collapsing buildings will 'spill' and deal deadly splashdamage.
 
Will there be MP maps set at iconic places in New York and Paris and Teheran? Will we be able to tear down the Eiffel Tower?

#8 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -

Top notch audio once again!

#9 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

4 kits...... FUCK

#10 Posted by lucas823 (1 posts) -

WHAT THE CRAP?!!! KILLCAM???? NOOOOOOOOOOO!!! SCREW YOU DICE!!!

#11 Edited by Seppli (10250 posts) -
@No0b0rAmA said:

" Four classes? No mod support? Are you fucking kidding me? "

I'm hearing the '4 kit' complaint on the official UK BF forums A LOT. Don't get it though. There are a lot more ways to play each kit than just one. Effectively there's so much more 'kits'.
 
All they'd need to do, is allowing more choice for primary weapons for the classes. Let Assault use SMG, LMG and ARs - ontop of All-kit weapons for example. And Medics LMGs and ARs. Have in-depth weapon customization with Silencers and the likes.
 
4 kits can be enough is all I'm saying.
#12 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -


-4 classes
-No mod tools at release. Maybe none down the line either. Frosbite 2.0 is complex and mods tools would have to be dumbed down, so does Dice really want to put their time to that or would it be better spent elsewhere?

 

#13 Posted by Seppli (10250 posts) -
@lucas823 said:
" WHAT THE CRAP?!!! KILLCAM???? NOOOOOOOOOOO!!! SCREW YOU DICE!!! "
You can turn it off. I like Killcam, since I hate getting shot by camping snipers.
 
What's the problem with Freedom of Choice again?
#14 Posted by niamahai (1394 posts) -

wonder what the SP will be like.

#15 Posted by ViciousReiven (824 posts) -

Sounds perfect so far.

Online
#16 Posted by Pie (7115 posts) -

Have they officially announced officially what the console playercount is yet? 

#17 Edited by KaosAngel (13764 posts) -

4 Kits?  They took a step back...? 
 
Sniper, Assault, Medic, and Engineer?  That's all?

#18 Posted by Seppli (10250 posts) -
@RsistncE said:
"


-4 classes
-No mod tools at release. Maybe none down the line either. Frosbite 2.0 is complex and mods tools would have to be dumbed down, so does Dice really want to put their time to that or would it be better spent elsewhere?

 

"
That line is corporate bullshit. The straight answer is... 'it hurts our bottomline'. I don't mind though. EA and DICE shall monetize their tech to the max before handing it over to the unwashed masses. After all, there'd be no Frostbite 2.0 without them. Capitalism ain't no pony ranch.
#19 Posted by Dejkrigeren (385 posts) -

I don't know how I feel about these news... 
4 kits.... 
Shit.

#20 Edited by KaosAngel (13764 posts) -

Didn't DICE say when BC2 came out that they WOULDN'T have the BC2 kits in BF3?   
 
You think more kits will be DLC or Expansion? 
 
How the fuck you doing a proper BF game with only 4 kits?

#21 Posted by mikeeegeee (1575 posts) -
@Seppli said:
"Will we be able to tear down the Eiffel Tower? "
I suspect not. If this an official release, I expect they highlighted a seven story building collapse (a scripted event, from the sounds of it) as a selling point. While it surely is, I wonder if it's marks the limits of their abilities. In BC2, there was larger scale destruction, but it was, of course, specific to the campaign. 
 
Ah man, look at me. All of this speculation is for not. The game won't come out for another eight or nine months!
#22 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -
@Seppli: Oh yeah I know why they don't like supporting mods: because they're a free source of additional content that cuts into DLC purchases. That justification really only makes me more annoyed because instead of actual logistical issues it's just their greed getting in the way.
#23 Posted by KaosAngel (13764 posts) -

....if they have a NYC level, does that mean some people can be smart asses and crash jets into buildings?

#24 Posted by No0b0rAmA (1478 posts) -
@Seppli said:
" @No0b0rAmA said:

" Four classes? No mod support? Are you fucking kidding me? "

I'm hearing the '4 kit' complaint on the official UK BF forums A LOT. Don't get it though. There are a lot more ways to play each kit than just one. Effectively there's so much more 'kits'.  All they'd need to do, is allowing more choice for primary weapons for the classes. Let Assault use SMG, LMG and ARs - ontop of All-kit weapons for example. And Medics LMGs and ARs. Have in-depth weapon customization with Silencers and the likes.  4 kits can be enough is all I'm saying. "
I thought they were making a sequal to Battlefield 2. Medics shouldn't be carrying around M60s. And I fucking swear, if they make me unlock the medkit and defib.
#25 Edited by Mikemcn (7023 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:

" 4 kits...... FUCK "

More like "4 kits...... FUCK YES!" Consider the fact that all that really differentiated the classes in BF2 was the weapons they had, class unlocks negate the need for that, you crazy BF2 loving crazy person you.  
 
But that also implies there will be snipers, I hate snipers. (But I love them too, stupid ghillisuit wearing bastards.) I kinda wish there were 3 kits. (No I don't, but I do.)
#26 Posted by B0nd07 (1701 posts) -

-More unlocks than BFBC2
-4 classes

What.
 
Those unlocks better be balanced and not a bunch of stupid stat things like magnum ammo.  Hopefully they'll be mostly guns and allow any class to use just about any long arm.  And only four classes?!  Come on, DICE.  This probably mean four-player squads again too.
#27 Posted by KaosAngel (13764 posts) -
@No0b0rAmA said:
"  And I fucking swear, if they make me unlock the medkit and defib. "
Defib second last thing to unlock, confirmed!
#28 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
@Seppli said:
" @No0b0rAmA said:

" Four classes? No mod support? Are you fucking kidding me? "

I'm hearing the '4 kit' complaint on the official UK BF forums A LOT. Don't get it though. There are a lot more ways to play each kit than just one. Effectively there's so much more 'kits'.  All they'd need to do, is allowing more choice for primary weapons for the classes. Let Assault use SMG, LMG and ARs - ontop of All-kit weapons for example. And Medics LMGs and ARs. Have in-depth weapon customization with Silencers and the likes.  4 kits can be enough is all I'm saying. "
FACEPALM NO THEY CANT BE ENOUGH 
NO, THEY CANT  
THEY FUCKING CANT. 7 KITS OR THIS IS FUCKING BULLSHIT
do you think if i get on those UK BF forums and bitch too, something will change ? 
im sure if millions of angry PC players complain online about it, DICE will change their mind.. the PC DICE Army is the only army keeping the company going. most Console people play cod.. 
 
 
@Seppli said:
" @lucas823 said:
" WHAT THE CRAP?!!! KILLCAM???? NOOOOOOOOOOO!!! SCREW YOU DICE!!! "
You can turn it off. I like Killcam, since I hate getting shot by camping snipers.  What's the problem with Freedom of Choice again? "
the problem is that the beauty of Battlefield 2 was to be a good enough sniper to "camp" somewhere really good that people wont figure out where you are 
in Battlefield, camping isnt frowned upon like CoD... why do you think they give us stupendous terrains with hills and forests ? thats a legitimate sniper heaven right there. 
 
 
 
@KaosAngel said:
" Didn't DICE say when BC2 came out that they WOULDN'T have the BC2 kits in BF3?    You think more kits will be DLC or Expansion?  How the fuck you doing a proper BF game with only 4 kits? "
i know RIGHT ??? how the fuck are we gonna be SIXTY FOUR players on a HUGE maps with ALL KINDS of vehicles and terrains, with just snipers medics engineers and assaults ?????????????? what about the Support guy ? WHAT ABOUT THE C4 SPECIALIST ? WHAT ABOUT THE ANTI TANK MOTHERFUCKER SHOOTING HELOS DOWN ? 
 
man fuck this fucking noise im gonna change my fucking avatar
#29 Posted by No0b0rAmA (1478 posts) -
@B0nd07 said:
" This probably mean four-player squads again too. "
Oh fuck. I guess DICE is putting that off to tell later. My hopes and dreams are being crushed in front of my eyes.
 
@KaosAngel said:
" @No0b0rAmA said:
"  And I fucking swear, if they make me unlock the medkit and defib. "
Defib second last thing to unlock, confirmed! "
I almost took you seriously there for a second.
#30 Posted by Jimbo (10007 posts) -

Machine Gunner (or 'Squad Support') should be a seperate class (from Medic), especially with the 'deploy your weapon on anything' thing.  Day of Defeat MGun mechanic would be awesome.  Still hoping there's a command structure etc.
 
Not surprised about the inclusion of a 'proper' SP campaign - it's absolutely required imo if they're serious about making inroads into CoD's dominance of the genre.  They aren't gonna shift 20M copies, but if they could sell 10M (2x BC2) it'd be a massive step in the right direction and at least give CoD something to think about.

#31 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

The four kit thing doesn't bother me too much, it all depends on how they work out the unlock system this time. Hopefully it look more like what they brought out in 2142 in that case. A lot of small unlocks to the unique classes and the weapons should be all kits based aside from really iconic weapons for the certain class.
 
 
Also I can see why people would be ticked off by the lack of modding tools but they have an important point with how the destruction and that insane lighting tool to be very difficult to manage into a mod interface. I can't answer to details but with what Bad Company 2 offered, I'm not surprised at all with the lack of it.
 
I still think they should try to figure out a more meta like mod-tool because, as people say over and over, we wouldn't have a lot of games today if it wasn't for the mod community.

#32 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
@Mikemcn said:

" @Ahmad_Metallic said:

" 4 kits...... FUCK "

More like "4 kits...... FUCK YES!" Consider the fact that all that really differentiated the classes in BF2 was the weapons they had, class unlocks negate the need for that, you crazy BF2 loving crazy person you.   But that also implies there will be snipers, I hate snipers. (But I love them too, stupid ghillisuit wearing bastards.) I kinda wish there were 3 kits. (No I don't, but I do.) "
for the last time : 
 
 
   

You know what made Battlefield 2 so great ? 
 
you'd have 6 people in your squad (including you) =>  

  • you and another guy are Anti Tank (one shoots down helos and the other, tanks) 
  • a medic to give you health kits and revive you 
  •   The Squad Leader (and your only mobile spawn point) is a support guy to give you ammo and help with his  machine gun firepower
  • a sniper to stay a few meters behind the squad, on higher ground (as you advance to the next point) to clean up the next flag before you guys reach it 
  • a Spec Ops guy to boobytrap birdges after you cross them, or rig your car with C4 so that you'd jump out and then he blows it up 
  
alternatives : an Assault for firepower and an Engineer to keep fixing your vehicles, throw land mines around a flag after you capture it and occasionally help with his one-shot-kill shotgun 
 
Battlefield 2 had individuality. you'd have 7 kinds of players all doing their different jobs... the most amazing team-based experience ever.



    look at this beauty. Individuality and Diversity are the name of the game.. we're talking SIXTY FOUR player maps here. huge game means huge kits.
#33 Edited by Seppli (10250 posts) -
@RsistncE said:

" @Seppli: Oh yeah I know why they don't like supporting mods: because they're a free source of additional content that cuts into DLC purchases. That justification really only makes me more annoyed because instead of actual logistical issues it's just their greed getting in the way. "

Of course. But why are you pissed? Maximizing profits is the way of Capitalism. It's an economical necessity. Nobody plays nice. Just nice enough. Don't blame the player, blame the game.
 
Please, find a way to lead the world away from its chosen path to global captitalism, I dare you. And try not to start a war or get snuffed along the way.
#34 Posted by TheCreamFilling (1203 posts) -

Well, looks like their original plans for the core Battlefield games to be PC only and Bad Company to be console only has fallen apart completely. 
 
I just hope I'll be done with Vietnam by the time this comes out.

#35 Posted by B0nd07 (1701 posts) -
@No0b0rAmA said:

" @B0nd07 said:

" This probably mean four-player squads again too. "
Oh fuck. I guess DICE is putting that off to tell later. My hopes and dreams are being crushed in front of my eyes.
I hear you.  I wouldn't say mine are crushed just yet though, but there's a big dent in the paint job.
 
BF3 is starting to sound more like a spin-off of BC2 than a direct sequel to BF2 (making it a spin-off of a spin-off).
#36 Posted by No0b0rAmA (1478 posts) -
@B0nd07 said:
" @No0b0rAmA said:

" @B0nd07 said:

" This probably mean four-player squads again too. "
Oh fuck. I guess DICE is putting that off to tell later. My hopes and dreams are being crushed in front of my eyes.
I hear you.  I wouldn't say mine are crushed just yet though, but there's a big dent in the paint job.  BF3 is starting to sound more like a spin-off of BC2 than a direct sequel to BF2 (making it a spin-off of a spin-off). "
Maybe, just maybe this guy was trolling and doesn't know shit about the actual article.
#37 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
@B0nd07 said:
" @No0b0rAmA said:

" @B0nd07 said:

" This probably mean four-player squads again too. "
Oh fuck. I guess DICE is putting that off to tell later. My hopes and dreams are being crushed in front of my eyes.
I hear you.  I wouldn't say mine are crushed just yet though, but there's a big dent in the paint job.  BF3 is starting to sound more like a spin-off of BC2 than a direct sequel to BF2 (making it a spin-off of a spin-off). "
man why the fuck are they doing this.. whats the matter with them.. how can we change this and prevent it from happening ?
#38 Posted by Seppli (10250 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic: 
 
 We know nothing of substance yet. Arbitrary superficial information is enough to enrage the superfan of yesteryears design.

There's just no need for a 'C4 ninja kit', if 2 of 4 kits can go ninja. Maybe this time around, the ninja builds will have a silencer at their disposal too.
 
Why would we need 7 kits for 7 playstyles, if we can have 4 kits for even more playstyles?
#39 Posted by B0nd07 (1701 posts) -
@No0b0rAmA said:
" @B0nd07 said:
" @No0b0rAmA said:

" @B0nd07 said:

" This probably mean four-player squads again too. "
Oh fuck. I guess DICE is putting that off to tell later. My hopes and dreams are being crushed in front of my eyes.
I hear you.  I wouldn't say mine are crushed just yet though, but there's a big dent in the paint job.  BF3 is starting to sound more like a spin-off of BC2 than a direct sequel to BF2 (making it a spin-off of a spin-off). "
Maybe, just maybe this guy was trolling and doesn't know shit about the actual article. "
We can only hope.
#40 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
@Seppli:  why not have one kit that has everything which everyone can use 
#41 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

So only 24 player multiplayer for consoles, apparently. Oh well, it's still a solid player count. Hopefully they make the changes necessary to the console version so the larger maps don't feel barren.

#42 Posted by B0nd07 (1701 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
"man why the fuck are they doing this.. whats the matter with them.. how can we change this and prevent it from happening ? "
We'll have to buy DICE (or EA), obviously.
#43 Posted by KaosAngel (13764 posts) -
@TheFreeMan said:
" So only 24 player multiplayer for consoles, apparently. Oh well, it's still a solid player count. Hopefully they make the changes necessary to the console version so the larger maps don't feel barren. "
....doesn't COD and Halo have higher player counts on the Xbox?  
#44 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -
@KaosAngel:  I don't think that any of them have exceeded a sixteen-player count, though I might be forgetting a game mode somewhere.
#45 Posted by KaosAngel (13764 posts) -
@TheFreeMan: I thought Halo or COD had 16v16 for some reason.  >.>
#46 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -
@Seppli said:
" @RsistncE said:

" @Seppli: Oh yeah I know why they don't like supporting mods: because they're a free source of additional content that cuts into DLC purchases. That justification really only makes me more annoyed because instead of actual logistical issues it's just their greed getting in the way. "

Of course. But why are you pissed? Maximizing profits is the way of Capitalism. It's an economical necessity. Nobody plays nice. Just nice enough. Don't blame the player, blame the game.  Please, find a way to lead the world away from its chosen path to global captitalism, I dare you. And try not to start a war or get snuffed along the way. "
I don't think you should be asking why I'm pissed. Just because you can justify this action by EA through flawed capitalistic theory doesn't mean I should be happy with it. As for the second part, that's an entirely different debate altogether...largely in that the collapse of capitalism is eventual, as history has shown us time and time again.
#47 Posted by Seppli (10250 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic: 
 
Lack of order and teamplay. Lack of purposeful and easy kit-swapping. Kits are inherent design to Battlefield. Without it, even if you'd be able to customize for every existing playstyle, there would be chaos.
 
The oldschool 7 kit design has its upsides, true. There are even more downsides, if you think about it. And lots about it comes down to taste. I for one, like customization. The 7 kit setup doesn't allow for deep customization. The 4 kit design does.
#48 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I'm hyped as all hell.
 
The one thing is the 4 kits.  I really hope the medic isn't limited to a LMG and then a couple rifles that are unlocked through rank.  I've always hated using LMGs and probably always will, even though BFBC2's LMG are definitely my favorite of any game.

#49 Edited by Zimbo (875 posts) -

Gamers complain about game mechanics being to stale when the devs don't change anything.  (a la Call of Duty)
 
Gamers complain about game mechanics when the game developers do change them.
 
Game devs try to provide the best game they can to their fans and end up getting eaten alive by people bitching who haven't even seen said game in question.
 
Wait and see what they are doing with the unlock system before declaring war on EA and DICE.
 

Case in point:

i might aswell give up on a true Battlefield installment and just take DICE's dick up my ass with a smile on my face.  
RIP Battlefield 2002-2005  

#50 Posted by s7evn (1072 posts) -

Why not just give all medics fucking rail guns, just as real as one carrying a LMG.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.