Going Back to Karkand - First Details!!!

#1 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

Edit: This thread includes all four maps and their articles and screenshots, not just Karkand.

[Full Size]

DLC Cover

The following screenshots are only re-imaginations of the popular BF2 maps, they're previewing what Frostbite 2 is capable of (detail and lighting), and not actual locations from the map pack:

1. Karkand 
[Full Size

2. Wake Island 
  [Full Size

3. Sharqi Peninsula 
 [Full Size

4. Gulf of Oman 
 [Full Size]

Thoughts?
I think it's gonna fucking rule. That is all ^^
#2 Posted by JJWeatherman (14562 posts) -

You think anything regarding BF3 will fucking rule, though. To be fair.  =P

#3 Posted by Popskinz (409 posts) -

Now that, is just fuckin' epic!

#4 Posted by InternetCrab (1504 posts) -

That is....pretty cool. Even though, agreeing with JJ, you pretty much think everything about Battlefield 3 is gonna rule tbh :P@JJWeatherman: 
#5 Posted by S0ndor (2716 posts) -

The domes remind me more of Mashtuur City though.

#6 Posted by TheSmashing (313 posts) -

Looks awesome

#7 Posted by cyraxible (696 posts) -

I'm really excited for this game, I just wish they weren't cranking the hype machine so hard this early. 

#8 Posted by TheHT (11663 posts) -

Anything Battlefield 3 related makes me afraid for my PC.

#9 Edited by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

Given how Operation Hastings looked pretty much nothing like the one in BF Vietnam, I wonder how much of Karkand actually will be the Karkand that we played in BF2..

#10 Posted by JEC03 (919 posts) -

Damn I love it so many memories in Karkand I haven't been this excited for FPS ever.

#11 Posted by DonPixel (2598 posts) -

EA DLC Freenzzyyy!! Honestly WTF there is like a year to go for this release and they are already selling us DLC!?  laaamee

It looks good but man.. EA common. 
#12 Posted by WoodenPlatypus (1365 posts) -

That screenshot put me back in a good mood :D
#13 Posted by gamb1t (965 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" You think anything regarding BF3 will fucking rule, though. To be fair.  =P "
and the problem is? cant run from the truth!
#14 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -
Dat Karkand!
#15 Posted by Subjugation (4728 posts) -

The more I see of this game the more depressed I become. I seriously need a large sum of money so I can bump my PC up to the point where it will do this game justice. Also, announcing DLC way before a game is finished is a slap in the face. That time frame should allow for it to just be included in the game. Stop milking your customers.

#16 Edited by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -
@weeman105 said:

" The more I see of this game the more depressed I become. I seriously need a large sum of money so I can bump my PC up to the point where it will do this game justice. Also, announcing DLC way before a game is finished is a slap in the face. That time frame should allow for it to just be included in the game. Stop milking your customers. "

Now how exactly are they milking us by offering a full DLC pack with four maps and unique BF2 weapons and vehicles at launch if you pre-order the game? Compared to some games offering early access to two guns or some bullshit like that, I find that to be quite the enticing pre-order deal myself.
#17 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
@PhatSeeJay said:
" Given how Operation Hastings looked pretty much nothing like the one in BF Vietnam, I wonder how much of Karkand actually will be the Karkand that we played in BF2.. "
one of the questions in the interview linked above was if the direction taken with BC2: Vietnam is the same for Back to Karkand, and the answer was yes >_>
along with the screenshot not looking anything like Karkand, i dunno what to think

i'm sure it's gonna be good

@S0ndor said:
" The domes remind me more of Mashtuur City though. "
i stared at that thing for an hour and couldn't recognize anything >_>
#18 Posted by Subjugation (4728 posts) -
@PhatSeeJay: My mistake then. I didn't actually read the article, just thread posts. When I saw "DLC being announced early" no one mentioned it being a free bonus for a pre-order so I assumed it was content people would have to pay for later on.
#19 Posted by Mikemcn (7006 posts) -

You know what would go great with that? SOME MULTIPLAYER FOOTAGE!

#20 Edited by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -
@weeman105 said:

" @PhatSeeJay: My mistake then. I didn't actually read the article, just thread posts. When I saw "DLC being announced early" no one mentioned it being a free bonus for a pre-order so I assumed it was content people would have to pay for later on. "

Yes people will have to buy it, like the Vietnam DLC for BC2, after the game is released. So in that sense, I would have raised an eyebrow as well if this pack came ready to buy at launch without the pre-order deal.
#21 Posted by Wuddel (2098 posts) -

Yeah wake island. I am sold.

#22 Posted by CrimsonJesus (95 posts) -

BF2 is probably the best multiplayer shooter of its time, I can't wait for BF3.

#23 Posted by big_jon (5770 posts) -

Halo is bettar. lol

#24 Posted by laserbolts (5340 posts) -
Hey guys we have content ready to go day one but not for everyone. Fuck that. I know it's been going on for a while but god dammit.
#25 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
@big_jon said:
" Halo is bettar. lol "
olololol
#26 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -

I am stoked. Strike At Karkand was my favourite BF2 map.

#27 Posted by big_jon (5770 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @big_jon said:
" Halo is bettar. lol "
olololol "
GOD iz bettar!lololololololo!!11!!!!!!!!!
#28 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3237 posts) -

Why do they want us to buy another part of the game? Are they that cheap?

#29 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -

Well, I think this is an improvement over BC2 with their whole VIP pass nonsense.

But it does suck, but again, it's only to discourage used-game sales.

Hmm... I'm actually not sure if this thing is for people who preorder or people who buy it new...

but yeah, it's kind of shady... but at the same time, videogame development costs are going up and the $60 price has remained the same, despite inflation etc.

#30 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

Man its gonan be so dope.

#31 Posted by President_Barackbar (3470 posts) -
@PhatSeeJay said:
Given how Operation Hastings looked pretty much nothing like the one in BF Vietnam, I wonder how much of Karkand actually will be the Karkand that we played in BF2..
What are you talking about? It had...umm...uhh...the same bridge!
#32 Posted by awe_stuck (800 posts) -

Just imagine a game better than BF2... :D

#33 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
@Jayross said:
 I'm actually not sure if this thing is for people who preorder or people who buy it new...  
It's for people who buy the limited edition, which can only be pre-ordered because it disappears from stores on release day
#34 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic
@Jayross said:
 I'm actually not sure if this thing is for people who preorder or people who buy it new...  
It's for people who buy the limited edition, which can only be pre-ordered because it disappears from stores on release day
The Limited Edition for BC2 is still available in stores... so I'm not too sure about that.
#35 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

updated with Wake Island article & screenshot

#36 Posted by owenneil (124 posts) -

I never cared much for Wake Island, but the more maps the better!

#37 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -
@cyraxible said:
I'm really excited for this game, I just wish they weren't cranking the hype machine so hard this early. 
We might be playing Beta in a couple of weeks dude. Not early at all.

Hype hasn't even really begun yet. Showing some SP footage does not equal hype. Those two concept arts of MP maps already generate more hype than anything else they've shown so far.

They've got a 100 million dollars to burn through marketing-wise. There's gonna be sooo much more to come.
#38 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

Updated

#39 Edited by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

Screensgrabs I took from the video Wuddel posted in a separate thread. It looks delicious! Seems they're going for a more direct interpretation of Karkand rather than the strange map they called Operation Hastings in the Bad Company 2 Vietnam pack. I'm feeling excited for this again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.