Hackers everywhere!

#1 Posted by NoCookiesForYou (754 posts) -

Whatever server i join there's someone either glitching or hacking. Destroing the opposition with 100-0 kill stats, knifing you while you're in a vehicle and instant killing you the very second you respawn.

I really like Battlefield 3, but everywhere i go hackers are there to ruin the fun.

Is EA just completely powerless to stop them or do they even care?

#2 Posted by Jadeskye (4366 posts) -

Battlefield has a long history of hackers, they never really have managed to completely combat the problem. same as call of duty in many respects just going back a longer time.

#3 Posted by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

Server admins should be able to kick/ban players who are obviously hacking. This isn't specifically the fault of DICE or EA. Every game has hackers. It's up to the server admin to always have someone on to manage their server. If you know someone is hacking and no one isn't doing anything about why do you take it up the ass and continue to play on the server? Leave and join a different one.

#4 Posted by Masni (12 posts) -

I played almost 100 hours and i didn't see any hackers but i saw 15 years old server admins who think they are the best players and kick when you kill them

#5 Edited by AlexW00d (6167 posts) -

I assume this is on console or something? Server admins would just ban hackers right away.

And I have yet to see a single hacker, so I guess I am lucky.

#6 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

ive been having the same problem. This would never happen if everyone just went to the fucking GB/TESTED server on BF3 cause we have real server admins who do kick assholes and dirty fucking cheaters.

#7 Posted by NoCookiesForYou (754 posts) -

@AlexW00d: On PC version. True, but most servers don't have active admins to kick hackers. Guess i'll have to look for those that have them.

#8 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Everywhere you go? Sounds like you are very unlucky, I haven't ran into many hackers yet on PC and I've put in a lot of hours, seen maybe 5-10 max. Weird.

#9 Posted by Liber (648 posts) -

If you suspect someone on GB servers just contact one of the admins. We can take screenshots from players and see if someone hacks.

#10 Posted by AlexW00d (6167 posts) -

@NoCookiesForYou: Just come to the GB server dude. Plenty of admin online all the time.

#11 Posted by JudgeDread (571 posts) -

Is not this a problem only on servers not using punkbuster?

#12 Posted by Sjupp (1910 posts) -

I've about 67 hours played and I've yet to encounter a hacker.

#13 Posted by Xel (114 posts) -

I came across a really bad hacker a few weeks ago who was killing everyone from across the map with some tool. He wasn't shooting, it just said X killed Y.

#14 Posted by Jadeskye (4366 posts) -

@JudgeDread said:

Is not this a problem only on servers not using punkbuster?

Punkbuster doesn't stop anything and it never has. Useless piece of software.

#15 Posted by gpbmike (864 posts) -

Yeah I haven't really encountered any hackers. At least, none that bothered me.

#16 Posted by vonFlampanker (324 posts) -

@Jadeskye: Punkbuster stopped me, a non-cheater, from playing the game for about half an hour last night due to some problem with it. Had to uninstall it, reinstall it, download install and run an updater. As with DRM, the legit players/customers are always the ones who suffer.

I run into an awful lot of one-burst, or one-shot kills from people who should be suppressed by my fire. I'm never sure whether it's hacking or just people being good. One would think a good hacker would be somewhat subtle about it, but no way I could ever prove any of this. Doesn't help that the game is fairly unforgiving.

#17 Posted by GS_Dan (1401 posts) -

I've never been killed by them, but I've seen plenty of people get auto-kicked. Giantbomb's server seems pretty watertight.

#18 Posted by chilibean_3 (1610 posts) -

Maybe I just get super lucky but I've yet to have a bad experience with hackers/glitchers. At least not since the beta. Xbox and PC and I've at least never noticed it. Maybe I just don't spend enough time assuming everyone who killed me is clearly hacking.

#19 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

@vonFlampanker said:

@Jadeskye: Punkbuster stopped me, a non-cheater, from playing the game for about half an hour last night due to some problem with it. Had to uninstall it, reinstall it, download install and run an updater. As with DRM, the legit players/customers are always the ones who suffer.

I run into an awful lot of one-burst, or one-shot kills from people who should be suppressed by my fire. I'm never sure whether it's hacking or just people being good. One would think a good hacker would be somewhat subtle about it, but no way I could ever prove any of this. Doesn't help that the game is fairly unforgiving.

Punkbuster is not DRM, it is just buggy cheat protection.

#20 Posted by vonFlampanker (324 posts) -

@mosdl said:

@vonFlampanker said:

Punkbuster is not DRM, it is just buggy cheat protection.

Right. I think you might've misread my post. No problem. The parallel between PB and DRM is there, though: people who play it straight in both cases have to deal with the most BS. I'm reminded of the BF2142 days when there was some sort of SecuROM flub that took a couple of weeks of support emails to solve. This stuff should be transparent to the end-user. I should never, ever have to worry about manually updating PB.

BF3 might hold the record for the most peripheral software required to run/support a single game: PunkBuster, Origin, that Sonar plugin that BattleLog requires, BattleLog itself ... I'm probably missing something.

#21 Posted by gpbmike (864 posts) -

@vonFlampanker: My brother got PB kicked from a server the other day and couldn't rejoin. He sounded pretty frustrated. Started looking up all the PB manual update nonsense and was complaining about it the whole time. I haven't had that happen to me personally yet, but yeah... the process should be transparent for the legitimate user.

#22 Posted by Cirdain (2996 posts) -

Grenades > Hackers

This is from my experience as a COD4 expert.

#23 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Yep, the hacking and cheating in Battlefield 3 as of yesterday is rampant. There was a massive Russian invasion all over the European servers yesterday, celebrating the new mass murder hack (you can kill everyone on the other team while standing still). 
Your best bet is to play on servers that have active admins and that are streamed to GGC and PBbans. 

@vonFlampanker said:

Pretty much. Like @Branthog: said, PunkBuster is the sleeping guy at work who pretends to be working when someone passes by, haha. It doesn't ban cheaters, it just randomly fucks with people, usually non-cheaters.  
Only GGC and PBbans are banning hackers by streaming their names to servers so they get auto-banned on join.

Like I said, look for servers with Admin messages in the chatbox and admin interactions and GGC/PBbans messages, not those deserted "everything is permitted" servers.
#24 Posted by MrKlorox (11197 posts) -

Yeah, it's been really bad lately. I noticed two blatant hackers, and a few more iffy dudes in the past two days. Noticing a lot of invulnerable tanks.

#25 Posted by Subjugation (4714 posts) -

Is it really that bad? This makes me leery of finally purchasing the game, which I was just about to do.

#26 Posted by TIEfighter77 (80 posts) -

I have run into plenty of people hacking on certain servers i.e. killed from across maps with "ammo boxes", being killed instantly upon spawning in several different locations, emptying a mag into someone only to be killed with one bullet not to the head at 100% health. Bad thing is that is seems to be getting worse. Now with the GB servers going away, we have no haven.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.