How do you feel about no stat bars for guns?

#1 Edited by Sackmanjones (4650 posts) -

For those of you who don't own BF3 the weapons for multiplayer completely lack the standard stat bars for guns that you would expect from an fps (accuracy, damage etc..). All you get is the bullet caliber, number of rounds in clip, rate of fire, firing modes and range (long medium short). I think its quite cool actually, it encourages you to try all the weapons and just pick which one you like the most not based on stats but how it feels to you. What do you think about it?

#2 Posted by Blackout62 (1324 posts) -

It is kind of inconvenient not having stat bars so I can quickly check whats my best gun before getting back in the shit. Meh, I don't actually give a damn, as long it kills dudes and has something better than iron sights.

#3 Posted by kingando420 (210 posts) -

The weapon stat bars in BC2 were totally wrong anyway, eventually denkirsonwill post all of the real weapon stats.

#4 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

The less meaningless slider-looking stats bars, the better. 

If I'm not mistaken, most of the BC2 stat bars were just random bullshit 

#5 Posted by Clonedzero (4038 posts) -

im fine with it. the stat bars in every shooter ive ever played has always been off anyways

#6 Posted by 137 (481 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

The less meaningless slider-looking stats bars, the better. If I'm not mistaken, most of the BC2 stat bars were just random bullshit

I believe the developers said from the get go no one gun was more powerful than the next, they all just handle differently.

something that has 5mm rounds and a quicker fire rate will do the same damage as something with a longer barrel and 7mm ammo but one will suit your play style better than the others. if you like to spray it up, or burst your shots out. I love the fact that all of the guns are balanced. Some are favored more than others, that ump was beast in the beta. I have yet to get my hands on it again. And I hear the 416 for the assault class is super awesome as well, even more so than the beta.

#7 Posted by ericdrum (404 posts) -

I don't mind not having them. In BC2 either I am completely crazy or they meant nothing as some guns that SHOULD have been better, I preferred less than some other gun that should have sucked. I like being kind of forced to experiment with what works for me. It keeps it more interesting.

#8 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

As the sun rises in the morn and goes down in the eve, Balance a-changing. It's an online multiplayer game afterall.

UMP gets a buff. Pistols get a buff. Jets get a buff. It is known. First patch incoming soon.

#9 Posted by MrKlorox (11197 posts) -

Good. It removes the placebo effect and makes you choose a gun based on how it feels and what fits your playstyle.

#10 Posted by xdaknightx69 (449 posts) -

it shows u ammo capacity and ROF what more do u need ? its a gun point and shoot. whatever stats they may have in the real world wont matter because of the game's programming.

see a gun u like test it out , weapon stats mean crap in a game.

#11 Edited by Ben_H (3293 posts) -

@137 said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

The less meaningless slider-looking stats bars, the better. If I'm not mistaken, most of the BC2 stat bars were just random bullshit

And I hear the 416 for the assault class is super awesome as well, even more so than the beta.

I unlocked all the accessories and got over 100 kills with the 416 insanely fast. It feels almost broken how good it is, especially in burst. It is like the M16 or An94 from BC2 when it first came out. It is basically a sniper rifle that can shoot in burst or full auto.

#12 Posted by Sackmanjones (4650 posts) -
@MrKlorox: Exactly how I feel. Its really fun to just try and use weapons and evaluate how it fits to you
#13 Edited by Infininja (881 posts) -

Good riddance. They lied in Bad Company 2. They lie in the Call of Duty games.

They were roughly correct in BC2 on launch (but I think they had a "range" bar. What does that even mean?), but they didn't even update them as they balanced the game. The sniper rifles still show their original damages, even though they all do the same now (except the M95 which does 5 more). The SPECACT MG3 showed completely different stats from the normal one, even though they were the same gun.

They were useless.

#14 Edited by MrKlorox (11197 posts) -
@Infininja: In BF games, bullets lose damage over distance. The range statistic is meant to convey how far away your target can be before your ammo becomes ineffective.
#15 Posted by Infininja (881 posts) -

@MrKlorox said:

@Infininja: In BF games, bullets lose damage over distance. The range statistic is meant to convey how far away your target can be before your ammo becomes ineffective.

That's your interpretation, but it's ambiguous. No one just looking at the stats screen and not already knowing they lose damage will guess that's what it means. Plus, the ranges on most guns are uniform. Except for the assault rifles that don't lose damage at all, ARs and LMGs do max damage up till 18m meters, then start doing min at 64. SMGs do max till 18 and min at 42. I'm not looking at the BC2 stats screen right now, but I'm fairly sure it doesn't reflect this correctly.

#16 Posted by MrKlorox (11197 posts) -
@Infininja: It's common sense. Bullets aren't magically accelerated perpetually without friction. Eventually the velocity drops and the impact is less.

But yes, they stopped updating the graphics when they started changing the values in the patches.
#17 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

@MrKlorox said:

Good. It removes the placebo effect and makes you choose a gun based on how it feels and what fits your playstyle.

Exactly

#18 Posted by Infininja (881 posts) -

@MrKlorox: I don't think it's common sense. Years of playing first person shooters would tell you everything is hitscan unless it is a "slow" projectile like a rocket.

Also, the velocity doesn't drop in Bad Company 2. I don't think it does in Battlefield 3 either, but I'm not sure.

#19 Posted by MrKlorox (11197 posts) -
@Infininja: Sorry, by "common sense" I meant to people who don't base their understanding of physics on videogames.
#20 Posted by big_jon (5707 posts) -

@kingando420 said:

The weapon stat bars in BC2 were totally wrong anyway, eventually denkirsonwill post all of the real weapon stats.

true.

#21 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8060 posts) -

Stat bars are for pussies.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.