Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

I foresee 'No Tactical Flashlight' servers...

• 54 results
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

...and am not amused by the enabling of lameness. The tac-light is a pest, true. But it works both ways and its implementation is awesome.

Yet I already see the voices of lame ducks getting louder, cussing out others for using it well.

The flashlight is the new Carl Gustav. Too good for the average empowered whiney PC player/admin. There goes the neighborhood.

Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Twitchey

I'm not a fan of the flashlight, but I don't go out of my way to bitch at people about it. 
    I just hope DICE puts in some form of counter measure for it.

Helimocopter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Helimocopter

I have had no issue with the flashlight, usually just shows me where people are when they forget to turn it off

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Commisar123

This is the main reason I don't like hardcore shooter communities, its not the complaints, which are usually pretty legitimate. Its the petty ways they go about solving their problems.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By SSully

I dont see the issue with it at all. If anything I hate flash bang grenades more annoying in call of duty. Atleast with this I am able to see the general direction the guy is at while he is blinding me. With flash grenades I am just a sprinkler of bullets spinning around the room hoping to take someone down.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

#6  Edited By MightyDuck

I honestly have no problem with the flashlight. It gives you a good idea that someone is coming as you see the light moving up and down from the player who is running.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Three0neFive

I don't see the big deal. They're mildly annoying in some parts of the metro, but everywhere else they're practically useless - I can't count the number of times I've shot and killed a dude across the map because I could see his light through the bushes. Also, they're a really great way to grief friendly snipers.

Man, I really hope there's a version of Caspian Border or other 64-player map at night.

crovaxpso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By crovaxpso

The flashlight does more harm for me when my own teammates turn around and blind me; when the other team uses it they're just easier to see.

amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By amomjc

How I even use one?

Xakura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Xakura

@Three0neFive: You're seeing scope glare, not flashlight.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Sooty

@Seppli said:

Too good for the average empowered whiney PC player/admin.

The outcry (a tiny bit of complaining in reality) over the tactical flashlgiht has mostly been because it can blind in broad daylight. (it wasn't scope glare) That is the only part of it I find fucking dumb. I don't know why you are trying to condemn so many people as 'whiney'

Having said that, I do not care enough to play in a server with it banned, and 90% of servers will not ban it anyway, so who cares? I don't.

Dejkrigeren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Dejkrigeren

I don't mind the flashlight on enemies since it usually makes them easier to see, however teammates with flashlights are annoying as fuck since you can't kill them.

Sprinting next to a teammate=getting blinded half the time.

Defending an area with a teammate=him pointing the damn thing at you.

meeting a teammate=Wasting half a mag

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ryanwho

The gamer's idea of fairness is everything they did in the last MP game continuing to work. Anything that offers a wrinkle is going to be seen as "unfair" because now they can't keep doing the same shit and winning. Bitches gonna be bitches.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

I don't mind the flashlight, I just wish it wouldn't work (or at least be less effective) when out in the bright sun.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't mind it, I think most people don't realize they can cut it off (I didn't until semi-recently) and makes that makes them easy targets to spot at range.

CrimsonNoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By CrimsonNoir

I've killed a few people using it when blinded, you just aim for the center usually.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Pinworm45

I find it annoying, but a good kind of annoying. A 'that was cool and that guy made this tactic work" kind of annoying.

how long until that devolves into "oh, great, a guy killed me because I couldn't fucking see him" frustration I do not know. But for now, I don't mind it, even though I will never use it myself

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By Marz

Flashlight i have no problem with enemies having them... it's the retards on the same team who blind you!

shikon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By shikon

sitting with 5 men at a point is horible! you look here your blind you look there your blind you look at the doorway your blind and get shot because this time it was an enemy... other then that. i don't mind it at all. i think it looks prety cool.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20  Edited By Seppli

@Sooty said:

@Seppli said:

Too good for the average empowered whiney PC player/admin.

The outcry (a tiny bit of complaining in reality) over the tactical flashlgiht has mostly been because it can blind in broad daylight. (it wasn't scope glare) That is the only part of it I find fucking dumb. I don't know why you are trying to condemn so many people as 'whiney'

Having said that, I do not care enough to play in a server with it banned, and 90% of servers will not ban it anyway, so who cares? I don't.

Find a server without 'No AT on Infantry' rule, in a game with a dedicated Anti-Infantry-rocket-launcher. Or a 'No baserape' rule. It's virtually impossible. Or maybe that's just Europeans being pussy. Originally having been on the console-side of things when playing BF:BC 2, I'm used to getting and giving no quarter. No matter what nasty thing is being done to you, you deal with it and fight.

On the PC side of things, admins tend to kick players who play hard and the whining is constant. You are always in danger of pissing-off the wrong guy. Snipe too well, be kicked for camping. Go flawless, be kicked for botting. Win too hard, be kicked for base raping. Hell - there's BF:BC 2 servers out there which auto-nuke teams in Conquest for taking all capture points, as in killing everybody on the dominating team every 20 odd seconds 'til the other team manages to get a capture point. That's the sort of shit the empowered PC community is up to.

There definitely will be 'no tac light' servers and weakling crybabies will become more common; calling anybody out using the tac light to its full effect. It's just how the world works... one foul apple spoils the bunch.

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By foggel

Why is it so blinding i broad daylight?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AhmadMetallic

If there's anything I fucking hate, it's those players who have to constantly bitch about anything that isn't traditional and keep making up FUCKED UP RULES THAT THEY LIST IN THE SERVER'S WELCOMING MESSAGE

We're renting two BF3 servers for Giant Bomb, we won't have any of that shit.

SquadBroken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SquadBroken

I've killed write a few guys who were prone behind cover but their flashlight was still sticking out the other side so it was plain as day they were hiding there

EnchantedEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By EnchantedEcho

It's not bad, at long range you can get the idiots that forget to turn it off. At short range you just shoot the center of the light. Pretty balanced imo.

bradgrenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bradgrenz

Bring on the Fleshlight servers!

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SlasherMan

Well, there is no point in arguing about any of this. Server owner pays for the server, his server his rules. Don't like the rules? Then play on another server that is more suited to your play-style. There will easily be thousands of servers available, so I don't see the issue here.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By korwin

Flashlight is cool with me, sure ain't no noob tube.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Contro

I like using the flashlight, I have no issue with it at all, my few gripes lay elsewhere.

herocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By herocide

@SlasherMan said:

Well, there is no point in arguing about any of this. Server owner pays for the server, his server his rules. Don't like the rules? Then play on another server that is more suited to your play-style. There will easily be thousands of servers available, so I don't see the issue here.

This. The variety of servers with custom rules gives players a variety of options to play with. If you don't like it, play on a different server that fits your playstyle. Nobody is forcing you to play on a non-flashlight server, but other people may feel like the flashlight is dumb and/or annoying. God forbid people play the way they want to in a video game.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Wuddel

I think it is annoying. But not much. I would never use it on my main gun though because I usually play stealthy in online FPS.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#31  Edited By MachoFantastico

Wouldn't be entirely surprised if the flashlights are either removed entirely or heavily downgraded, right now that are simply awful.

arcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By arcn

I think they need to make the fact that you can turn off the light more obvious to people, I didn't really figure that out until I visited the forums and saw someone mention it. 

I love using it though, I'll usually wait in one of the hallways and turn it off and on really fast like it's a strobe light, I'm guessing it must really disorient people cause I can usually get 3-4 people in a row with it.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ShaneDev

The flashlight is fine but I get blinded as much by my team as the enemies. Is it possible to turn it off? I am surprised more people aren't going mental over the sniper scope glare to be honest. I also wonder how the portable AA launcher will pan out in the game, in BF2142 it was the most banned weapon for being overpowered I believe.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @SlasherMan said:
    Well, there is no point in arguing about any of this. Server owner pays for the server, his server his rules. Don't like the rules? Then play on another server that is more suited to your play-style.
    Not when it's a ranked server. Ranked servers all have stat tracking on the master EA websites (or Battlelog now), and forcing me to use or not use something while its allowed/disallowed on another server corrupts the worldwide stat tracking

There will easily be thousands of servers available, so I don't see the issue here.
    Slasherman, Battlefield 2. Battlefield 2, Slasherman.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#35  Edited By ajamafalous

Teammates shouldn't blind you with it, and you shouldn't be blinded outside in daylight. Otherwise they're fine.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By mosdl

The real issue is that the flashlight is on by default, it really should be off by default and let the player turn it on.

What would rock is if the red laser pointed at a plane would blind the pilot.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#37  Edited By AlexW00d

@Seppli said:

...and am not amused by the enabling of lameness. The tac-light is a pest, true. But it works both ways and its implementation is awesome.

Yet I already see the voices of lame ducks getting louder, cussing out others for using it well.

The flashlight is the new Carl Gustav. Too good for the average empowered whiney PC player/admin. There goes the neighborhood.

The only one being 'empowered' is yourself. Server owner pays money for server, implements rules as he sees fit. How is this a problem to you?

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ltsmash

@Twitchey: At level 32 you unlock a pair of sweet Ray-Bans

No Caption Provided
    Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Meowshi

It shouldn't affect teammates, that's stupid.

Mentalnova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Mentalnova

@Twitchey said:

I'm not a fan of the flashlight, but I don't go out of my way to bitch at people about it. I just hope DICE puts in some form of counter measure for it.

And how is being a glowing target for others not in your flashlight range or accidentally blinding teammates not balanced?

Tumbler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Tumbler

I'm not a fan of the flashlight or laser site visual effects in the game. I get the idea behind it and it sounds cool on paper but the way they implemented it sucks. Are there special glasses you can wear to counter this at some point? I just want to turn it off if not, I think it's obnoxious. Just let me play the game for crying out loud.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Branthog

The flashlight is fine, but needs to be seriously fucking toned down. I like it as a point of realism, but then they go and make it so fucking powerful that it can practically blind you at fifty paces in broad fucking daylight. On top of that, it's somehow this magic light that can blind you even when you're wearing those tactical special ops glasses and face shields. The lasers aren't a whole lot better.

So yeah, keep it, but for fuck's sake, tone that shit down a bit.

And what really pisses me off is the abuse of them. People are so fucking thoughtless and careless. Every jackhole is running around with a laser and flight light blaring whether it's day time or night time and whether they're indoors or out doors and blinding the FUCK out of their own teammates. When I start running, I turn my flash light off -- so I don't blind my teammates standing to my left and I turn it off any time I might be turning around or facing my own team. It's just a fucking button press. Requires almost zero thought to do.

Then again, people don't even communicate. I haven't seen one person attempt to communicate while playing. It's just 32 lone-wolfs doing their own thing and what team wins is entirely random based on which group of lonewolfs just randomly happened to do the right things before the other team. Bleh.

Along this line of thought, I also don't like the flash on scopes. Now, I don't snipe, so I don't have a dog in the fight. I just think it's kind of silly. What super uber tactical sniper guys are using shitty scopes that reflect like a god damn lighthouse every two seconds? I get the game mechanic behind it . . . it just seems so silly.

max3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By max3000

I hate the flashlight for the simple reason that you might as well hold up a large, blinking LED sign that says "shoot me". Seriously, I like to play all stealthy-like. Flanking people with a shotgun is hella fun haha.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By sirdesmond

While I would never use the flashlight myself (since I don't like the idea of my enemy being able to find me more easily, no matter the benefit), I don't mind it being in the game. I actually think it's pretty cool. It alerts me to those using it and it doesn't make them all that harder to shoot (maybe just harder to headshot).

That said, I'm sure there will be plenty of No Flashlight servers on PC but that's the advantage of dedicated servers like that. People can make their own rules to an extent. I remember a COD4 server that didn't allow you to run or even stand up (had to be crouched).

Zatoichi_Sanjuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Zatoichi_Sanjuro

@SlasherMan said:

Nah, it's easier to bitch on whine on here, and try and smear all PC hosts.

TIEfighter77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TIEfighter77

If it gets too bad they can just patch in a "changing batteries" animation.

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By artgarcrunkle

The flashlight is a big target that says "Spray your overpowered smg here and hope the server decides you won"

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MrKlorox

I haven't played it in hardcore mode yet, but with friendly fire, it sure would cause plenty of unnecessary deaths. Then again, the type of folks who play on hardcore servers are usually aware of stuff like that and wouldn't run around willy nilly with a flashlight. I just hope the final game doesn't force the light on as soon as you spawn.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Jackel2072

i dont see what the huge problem with the lights are. they will be almost worthless in conquest. as it stands i love it when some idiot has his flash light on and he is super far away. paints a nice target. and up close. just shoot at the brightest spot. i would argue the laser sight is more of a pain. your vision just turns dark red and you cant see shit!

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Spoonman671

I just don't want to have to remember to turn it off every single time I spawn.   The lights should be off by default and you should have to turn them on after spawning.  That should help prevent some of the unnecessary team-blinding and giving away of positions that reduces team cohesion.

And I wish the on/off toggle wasn't shared across weapons.  I want the laser light on my primary off until I'm pointing it at somebody, but I want to have my flashlight ready as soon as I bust out my pistol.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.