Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Im torn on if I should get premium or not

Avatar image for holycrapitsadam
    holycrapitsadam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By holycrapitsadam

On the one hand. I love battlefield. I have played every single battlefield game that has ever released and most of the expansions along with those games. My heart is telling me to buy the premium package cause I know that I will enjoy having new maps and weapons to mess around with.

On the other hand, I am not a super hardcore player. I love the game dearly but am only level 38 or something and kind of have a "play for a few weeks, then stop for a month or two, then play again for another few weeks" history with this game. Also, I already have the Karkand maps and the Close Quarters doesn't interest me at all cause I feel that the game is just Call of Duty at that point and I don't want to play that. The next pack looks awesome but again, Im not sure how much or how often I will play. My brain is telling me to wait or just buy the packs individually that I want.

I guess what I'm asking is...is it worth it? Is it worth paying the price of a full game for a few extra maps and guns or should I just use that money and buy a whole new game? (or pay the bills, thats always important)

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By Oldirtybearon

Take that Premium money and put it toward a new copy of Spec Ops: The Line. I'll give you a personal guarantee that you won't regret it.

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By clstirens

I can guarantee you will. July 1st Spec Ops: The Line will be $24.99 on Amazon

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5  Edited By Seppli

@HolyCrapItsAdam:

Get it. You get plenty value for your money, and you'll have a great reason to come back to Battlefield 3 every couple of months. Right now fast and furious Close Quarters Combat on four new maps, and a bunch of 'quests' for new weapon and dogtag unlocks.

Overall, Premium is about 20 maps, and 50 weapons (and quests), a bunch of vehicles, dogtags, skins and such. There's new game modes too. CQC added gunmaster, which is a fun diversion every now and then. Additionally, there's double XP events. I found the double XP events to be very neat. Helped me getting back into the game. Gave me some traction.  Forward momentum. Upcoming week is a whole week of double XP for premium players for example.

• In September, it's going to be 'the largest Battlefield maps ever' with the Armored Kill DLC. Apparently the player to vehicle ratio is going to be 2:1. And there's going to be a tank-centric gamemode. And yet again new assignments for all-new weapons.
    • In December there's another DLC called Aftermath, apparently it will be set in (maybe even during) an earthquake hitting Teheran.
    • In April it's Endgame, and all that's known thus far is - Dirtbikes!

If it helps any, think of it as Battlefield 3 DLC kickstarter. Do you want to support Battlefield? For me, there's only one answer. Yes!

Etnos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Etnos

To much money, I rather buy a new game.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Subjugation

@clstirens said:

I can guarantee you will. June 1st Spec Ops: The Line will be $24.99 on Amazon

I'm guessing you meant July 1st since June 1st already passed. Good information if that's the case.

Edit: Value is relative. If you plan on eventually getting all of the DLC then you will save money by getting premium. However, if you don't play very often you may not feel like you are getting your money's worth. If you are having a hard time coming down on the side of it feeling like a worthwhile investment for you, then it likely isn't. Just take your time deciding; premium isn't going anywhere.

Grambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Grambo

Simply put; don't waste your money bro.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By big_jon

People answering in such definites are dumb...

If you play a ton of the multiplayer than it may be worth it. If you're not even a rank 45 yet then no, you should not, because you clearly don't play enough for this to be worth the money.

also, if you have to think about it, the answer is probably no.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

If you ever plan on playing it again, it's worth it. Pretty much everyone online now is premium.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By awesomeusername

No, instead, give me the money for I was born 2 decades ago today. Thanks.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Spoonman671

I'm in pretty much the exact same situation as you are, and I'm waiting it out.  Maybe I'll go premium once Armored Kill is out (September seems really far away) and we hear about what the next expansion is.  Of course, if you want to start working on the weapon unlock assignments from Close Quarters, you might as well get it now.

CodeHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By CodeHero

Someone pointed out to me that if you have no interest in Close Quarters than premium is kind of a waste of money. I kind of like close quarters though. It isn't really "Battlefield", but I like the change of pace every now and then. I think it keeps the game more interesting, and lets me try out some new weapons I wouldn't normally use. So If you don't want Close Quarters don't go premium and just buy the map packs individually.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14  Edited By Seppli

@big_jon said:

If you play a ton of the multiplayer than it may be worth it. If you're not even a rank 45 yet then no, you should not, because you clearly don't play enough for this to be worth the money.

If you are into Battlefield, and in it for the multiplayer, even if you are not hardcore - 16-20 maps (depending on how you're counting) and 40-50 weapons, a bunch of gamemodes, and all the other stuff.... it's definitely a great value for your cash. I especially appreciate the incentive to get back into the game every couple of months.

So if you're thinking about it, and realize you get about double the amount of multiplayer content you got from the core game, then absolutely yes, you want to have it and support Battlefield's multiplayer component. I want more maps, more weapons, more vehicles, more Battlefield multiplayer - and that's exactly what I'm getting out of Premium. One-time-fee - no hassle, my Battlefield 3 multiplayer experience is being further extended and improved upon, just like it should be.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By big_jon

@Seppli said:

@big_jon said:

If you are into Battlefield, and in it for the multiplayer, even if you are not hardcore - 16-20 maps (depending on how you're counting) and 40-50 weapons, a bunch of gamemodes, and all the other stuff.... it's definitely a great value for your cash. I definitely appreciate the incentive to get back into the game every couple of months.

So if you're thinking about it, and realize you get about double the amount of multiplayer content you got from the core game, then absolutely yes, you want to have it and support Battlefield's multiplayer component. I for what I want. I want more maps, more weapons, more vehicles, more Battlefield multiplayer - and that's exactly what I'm getting out of Premium. One-time-fee - no hassle, my Battlefield 3 multiplayer experienced is being further extended and improved upon, just like it should be.

This is the same cost as a full game, if you're not a huge fan, chances are that you are going to get more out of a full game than some new weapons and maps for the one you arn't really all that into.

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16  Edited By BawlZINmotion

You already have "Back to Karkand", you don't have enough interest in "Close Quarters" to warrant a purchase, and you're not a week-in-week-out regular. It reads to me like you have successfully answered your own question, duder. :) My only purchase will be "Armored Kill" come this fall.

groverat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By groverat

I think of it as my podcast-subscription payment. I would pay double for twice as much podcastin'

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Doctorchimp

@HolyCrapItsAdam: If you already have Back to Karkand and you're not feeling Close Quarters, then no, don't buy it. Just hop on when the other map packs that you like come up.

No reason to just throw 75 bucks at something just cause. For me it's a good deal since I don't even have the first DLC and once my PC is done I'm definitely gonna pay for it.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Doctorchimp

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

If you ever plan on playing it again, it's worth it. Pretty much everyone online now is premium.

Can a regular person not play with a premium player?

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@Doctorchimp said:

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

Can a regular person not play with a premium player?

You can, but virtually all of the servers are using all the map packs now, so unless you plan on buying map packs individually your experience will be severely hampered.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By AhmadMetallic

You have B2K, you don't want Close Quarters, and you play the game occasionally which means you're not addicted and want all future DLCs for sure.

So you're either gonna buy one, two, or all three remaining DLC that's coming out in the future. Let's do some math: 

• Get premium: Pay $50, get all 3 DLCs. 
    • Get each DLC separarely: If you only like and buy one, that's $15. Two, $30. Three, $45.

Don't get premium because you're paying five extra dollars for nothing. Not to mention you might not be a fan of one or two of the future map packs, so you should wait for each one and see whether you want it or not. You might only be interested in Armored Kill, for example, so that's $15. Why pay 50?
    aaronBLUEeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By aaronBLUEeyes

I don't know if I should either, money is tight for me right now. I pre-ordered game so it came with Back to Karkand. This takes value of out the package deal already. If i were to buy CQ and the other updates separately as they came out it will be only $10more overall. Why should i fork over $50 now when i can only pay $15 for CQ. Are the other Premium perks worth the cash-money?

I'm already a Full-bird Col 9

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.