Is Battlefield 3 Premium tied to the console or the gamertag?

#1 Posted by natetodamax (19220 posts) -

I asked the BF3 twitter account and got some conflicting answers. If I purchase BF3 Premium under my gamertag, will it also apply to other accounts on the same console? My dad has an account on the same Xbox and he loves playing the game, but I don't really want to have to buy it twice if it isn't tied to the console.

#2 Posted by big_jon (5788 posts) -

I assume the Gamertag.

#3 Posted by Coafi (1494 posts) -

Any DLC is always tied to your gamertag, never heard of it being attached to the console.

#4 Posted by natetodamax (19220 posts) -
@Coafi

Any DLC is always tied to your gamertag, never heard of it being attached to the console.

What I meant by being tied to the console is that it's available for all accounts/gamertags on the console to use, not just the gamertag that it was purchased under.
#5 Edited by big_jon (5788 posts) -

@Voxel: I have a bad feeling it would all be only available through your gamertag.

I mean EA have not even worked out online passes from games on demand.

#6 Posted by kgb0515 (405 posts) -

The content is tied to your gamertag. I had a friend bring his profile over to my place on a memory card to play the new close quarters map, and it prompted him to purchase the content although the maps had already been downloaded onto my hard drive. So....that, unless I messed something up.

#7 Posted by Hunger (18 posts) -

The console, and the EA email account that is tied to the Gamertag. I bought Premium, and when downloading the tiny Premium file onto my console, all my accounts became Premium. However, Battlelog only shows the one that you purchased it on as having Premium. 

So you can enjoy the benefits of Premium on other accounts, but the account won't show up on Battlelog as having Premium despite having Premium dogtags and assignments completed. 

Here's my Battlelog to show you what I mean:  http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/user/xMasterChefx/

#8 Posted by Doctorchimp (4055 posts) -

@Voxel said:

I asked the BF3 twitter account and got some conflicting answers. If I purchase BF3 Premium under my gamertag, will it also apply to other accounts on the same console? My dad has an account on the same Xbox and he loves playing the game, but I don't really want to have to buy it twice if it isn't tied to the console.

The actual answer is.

When you buy a piece of content two things happens.

One it registers indefinitely to the gamertag that actually made the purchase.

Two, it registers to the original console that said gamertag bought it on. This gives the console a content license. All profiles can access that content freely on the xbox that has the license.

If you ever switch Xboxes that's why it's important you do a license transfer on xbox.com so your new console gets all that stuff.

I didn't get Battlefield premium, but I got the Gears season pass. Also this is how it is with every arcade game.

#9 Posted by MegaMetaTurtle (414 posts) -
@Voxel

My brother bought the other dlc, and I can use that (two different tags on the same xbox).

So my guess is any dlc you download as part of premium will also show up for your dad (since really it's a season pass).

If you use two different xboxes then you'd have to get two lots of dlc.
#10 Posted by banishedsoul1 (294 posts) -

im not buying this game on consoles because its way to gimped compared to pc.

#11 Posted by shadowfanjj (1 posts) -

@banishedsoul1: i bought it for ps3 its awesome now i might be getting it for pc tm i hope i saw you can have like 36 players, but i wanted to know that if since i bought it on ps3 if it will apply on my oc version so i get the assignments and etc, from loooking at this i guess so

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.