Is battlefield 3 worth 30 dollars?

#1 Posted by Brunchies (2484 posts) -

In case you don't know, amazon is having a sale on Battlefield 3 and its half off while battlefield 2 and bad company 2 are 5 dollars. The thing is though that Star Wars: The old Republic is also 30 bucks and I'm a huge fan of KOTOR but sick of wow styled combat. Mass effect 3 is also 35 dollars but it's on disk only. I'm having a hard time to decide between the three mainly because I'm cheap when it comes to games (my last full priced game was Final Fantasy 13 about 2 years ago), and I have a good number of games I'm still not done with. I'm basically asking if I should buy BF3, Mass effect 3 or just wait for price drops on both? I'm basically going to buy something to hold me over till the new sim city arrives and I want something to compliment Sim City 4 which continues to spiral me into an endless time sink.

#2 Posted by Stonyman65 (2709 posts) -

If you are getting the PC version, then yeah that is a steal. Every other version of that game was pretty fucked last time I heard.

As far as Mass Effect 3, I would wait until all the DLC is out so you can get a version of the game with all of that in it, or at least for cheaper than it is now. Probably won't be too far off.

#3 Edited by big_jon (5730 posts) -

If you like multiplayer, of course, if not, no.

#4 Posted by Intro (1207 posts) -

If you're a MP guy, yes.

#5 Posted by Sackmanjones (4705 posts) -

For sure. Had no problems with the ps3 version if thats what your takin a look at. Also I'm with everyone else, if your getting it for multiplayer its a great deal if not...... not a great deal

#6 Posted by UncleClassy (405 posts) -
@Stonyman65: I've put a little over 100 hours into the PS3 version and with the exception of really ass connection problems, which are gone with the latest patch, I haven't encountered anything game breaking.
#7 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3052 posts) -

Probably.

#8 Posted by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -

Ended up taking advantage of this deal today. Thanks for letting me know that they were having this sale btw, I've been looking for an excuse to get this game. Amazon is still processing my order though... :/

#9 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1573 posts) -

Do you enjoy multiplayer? Do you have a capable PC? If you answered yes to both of these questions, then you should already know the answer to your's. If not, then no.

#10 Posted by NTM (7381 posts) -

I'm in the minority, 'cause I liked the campaign, but the one thing you should know is that it does only take about four hours to complete, and maybe five or six on hard. People can tell you about the multiplayer, I don't really play many games for their MP, but I did once with this game (on PS3) when my brother handed me the controller. If you're getting it on a PC that can handle it well, then that's probably a plus, but the console versions aren't a slouch either.

#11 Posted by Stonyman65 (2709 posts) -

@UncleClassy said:

@Stonyman65: I've put a little over 100 hours into the PS3 version and with the exception of really ass connection problems, which are gone with the latest patch, I haven't encountered anything game breaking.

I haven't played any other versions besides the PC version. I'm just going on what I've heard, and this was a while ago too so I'm sure those problems have been fixed by now.

#12 Posted by Intro (1207 posts) -

@Stonyman65 said:

@UncleClassy said:

I haven't played any other versions besides the PC version. I'm just going on what I've heard, and this was a while ago too so I'm sure those problems have been fixed by now.

Played on 360 for while until I got a PC and the MP was always playable. Unless you're trying to play with friends, then it's impossible because the UI is possibly the worst thing in the universe and it throws you into separate matches. If you do get into the same match, then you'll be lucky to be in the same squad, let alone team.

#13 Posted by natetodamax (19207 posts) -
@Stonyman65

If you are getting the PC version, then yeah that is a steal. Every other version of that game was pretty fucked last time I heard.

As far as Mass Effect 3, I would wait until all the DLC is out so you can get a version of the game with all of that in it, or at least for cheaper than it is now. Probably won't be too far off.

The console versions were really messed up shortly after release, but they're fine now. I've played the 360 version for over 100 hours and with the exception of the first few, haven't encountered anything game breaking.

If you're interested in the multiplayer, Battlefield 3 is absolutely worth it.
#14 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

[INSERT OBLIGATORY ORIGIN HATE HERE]

#15 Posted by PresidentOfJellybeans (304 posts) -

As someone who only got this game a couple weeks ago on pc, my experience has been mostly extreme frustration with brief moments of "omg that was awesome". A lot of the frustration is probably due to my inexperience, getting taken out by campers, snipers, and half the time enemies I can't even see (with no help from the supression blur). The "noob" servers seem to be places for high levels ( dudes with the eagle medals and the like) to farm noobs. And there's Punkbuster that boots me for 2 minutes after somehow falling through a map (doesn't seem to be a common problem though). Then there are awesome moments like taking out a helicopter with a rpg and seeing all the kills tally on your screen, or knifing the sniper who got you and putting a couple rounds into the friend next to him. I've rage quit more than a couple times, but seem to keep coming back. The chaos is exciting and definitely worth 30 bucks if you're into that sort of thing.

#16 Posted by WMWA (1162 posts) -

Oh fuck yeah. Not a super fan of FPS's and I'm still playing the multiplayer.

#17 Posted by TryNstopME (10 posts) -

No its not worth it. Bf3 is riddled with bugs. Mw3 is the way to go

#18 Posted by Grillbar (1834 posts) -

@Brunchies said:

In case you don't know, amazon is having a sale on Battlefield 3 and its half off while battlefield 2 and bad company 2 are 5 dollars. The thing is though that Star Wars: The old Republic is also 30 bucks and I'm a huge fan of KOTOR but sick of wow styled combat. Mass effect 3 is also 35 dollars but it's on disk only. I'm having a hard time to decide between the three mainly because I'm cheap when it comes to games (my last full priced game was Final Fantasy 13 about 2 years ago), and I have a good number of games I'm still not done with. I'm basically asking if I should buy BF3, Mass effect 3 or just wait for price drops on both? I'm basically going to buy something to hold me over till the new sim city arrives and I want something to compliment Sim City 4 which continues to spiral me into an endless time sink.

pc version is really great, no its awsome. but it all depends on if your want to play multiplayer. i think i have put about 200 hours in so it was worth it.

cant say about the console version other then less people in a match, and worse grafics depending on your rig.

you can allso go and download tribes ascend. its free and its really awsome to but in a different way.

#19 Posted by Kandycane2029 (511 posts) -

Yes, even if you're getting a console version. I've played on 360 since launch and I'm still enjoying it.

#20 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

Yes

#21 Posted by Brunchies (2484 posts) -

Ok thanks for all the replies guys, the main thing that's bugging me is that I don't think my pc is good enough to run it the way it was intended but it can run the witcher 2 at 30 fps which has the same system requirements so I'll take the plunge, thanks everyone.

#22 Posted by Redbullet685 (6044 posts) -

Definitely.

#23 Posted by thechronodarkness (294 posts) -

The single player took me 3 and a half hours to complete. Glitches everywhere... So unless you're planning on spending alot of time with multiplayer? Then its DEFINATELY not worth 30$.

#24 Posted by SSValis (1136 posts) -

yes

#25 Posted by drGiggless (222 posts) -

My general rule of thumb is that if it's made by EA, it's not worth any amount of money.

#26 Posted by Pobearo (108 posts) -

It's worth 60 dollars. That's what I paid and it was worth it for sure. 30 bucks is nothing for hours of entertainment.

#27 Posted by Jackel2072 (2261 posts) -
@Brunchies: if you can run the witcher 2 you should have no problems running BF3. even on low settings it still looks pretty damn good. 
#28 Edited by Reale (261 posts) -

I play it on pc and think its fantastic, over 230 hours playing and have started recording my games just because so many random (and great) things happen... things that can only happen in battlefield! (check my mini bio for a link)

I actually turn some of the settings down because I don't like things like motion blur in game... turning that off alone will make the game smoother and play better and if you can run the witcher 2 you can run Bf3... the single player graphics are a lot more intensive than the multiplayer graphics so you should be ok. I run the game at 1050 (as my monitor is 20") and I have my settings between high/ultra and have other settings lowered AA and what not (you cant really tell the difference whilst playing but its lowers the intensity on the gpu/cpu anyway) in my videos you will notice post processing as I have added colour correction but the game looks sharp as a tack. I have even ran it on medium and low and that still seems to be higher than the console versions.

@drGiggless said:

My general rule of thumb is that if it's made by EA, it's not worth any amount of money.

its not made by EA... its made by DICE - unless your general rule of thumb is... if its published by EA then its not worth any money (and yes I am aware EA owns DICE) but on that note Origin is the worst thing about Battlefield... I do wish it was on Steam.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.