Is this game the biggest nightmare to install fresh?

#1 Edited by JouselDelka (967 posts) -

I recently did a full format for my PC and everything is fast, clean and tasty again. Now Battlefield 3 is always the first game I install after a format, because I gotta shoot dem guys.

So does anyone share my pain and confusion as to what the fuck this game and Origin do when you hit install?

After installing 11 gigs from the disc, the game has to UPDATE by installing another 9 gigs. Does this update include the five expansion packs or not? Or is it 9 gigs of patches, since they released half a dozen of those during the past two years? Which means after these 9 gigs of patches, the game has to install another billion gigs for the five expansion packs?

Doesn't it bother the fuck out of you when Steam or Origin just says "Update, X gigs, no more details, DO IT!" ? I wanna know what the fuck I'm installing. And I wanna be able to choose what to install.

WHEN THE FUCK AM I GONNA BE ABLE TO PLAY THE GAME? ANYTIME THIS YEAR? WILL THERE BE MORE SURPRISE BUTTSEX PATCHING AFTER THIS? DO I HAVE TO INSTALL ALL FIVE EXPANSION PACKS AS WELL AFTERWARDS TO LAUNCH THE GAME? FUCK!

Don't get me wrong I'm not really mad I'm just irritated.

P.S. I think BF3 is the best multiplayer game today, just to be clear.

I hate this specific window in particular more than I hate the windows blue screen of death

#2 Edited by Raven10 (1759 posts) -

Well I'm sure the game has vastly changed since its launch meaning after the install they then have to replace most of the files with the current versions. Depending on how the data is stored the update may have to include files that don't need to be updated. That is one of the big problems with the PS3. Updates are massive compared to the 360 ones cause the data is stored very poorly.

EDIT: I know you are talking about the PC version, just commenting on the similar issue with the PS3. Also was a big problem with Steam that they have recently fixed.

#3 Posted by TheLegendOfMart (243 posts) -

9GB doesn't include all the DLC, they are 1.5GB ish each that will download after the main game has been patched.

#4 Posted by Haruko (291 posts) -

Ok not to be that guy but why the hell did you use the disk to install? It's already on your origin account and a double click and sandwich later your good. Patching takes time installing not so much.

#5 Posted by Icemo (642 posts) -

The biggest nightmare is to get Punkbuster to work. That damn program kicks you whenever it feels like it and I had to reinstall it bunch of times before it started to work.

#6 Posted by JouselDelka (967 posts) -

@haruko said:

Ok not to be that guy but why the hell did you use the disk to install? It's already on your origin account and a double click and sandwich later your good. Patching takes time installing not so much.

Wait, what are you saying? To install from the Origin servers in the first place is faster than having the base game install from the disc? Installing from disc is basically getting the base game out of the way quick so the patch downloading can begin, dude.

Explain yourself, man.

#7 Posted by Verendus (348 posts) -

On consoles, all of the maps except for End Game are included in the patches.

#8 Posted by super2j (1665 posts) -

My friend got bf3 finally (humble bundle) and is an EA hater. He has now downloaded multiple 10gb's as Bf3 refuses to fully download. He has resorted to downloading a torrent of the game in hopes that this will stop the horrible download loop and finally let him play the game.

#9 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Never had a problem with Origin. And most the BF3 expansion data is folded into the patches. I guess this stuff never bothers me, because I have a relatively fast and very steady internet connection. Dunno. 9 GB of patches is like one Monster Hunter mission on my Vita or a chapter in a book or something. As long as you know how to diverify your entertainment needs, you'll never be waiting on being entertained.

#11 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@jouseldelka said:

@haruko said:

Wait, what are you saying? To install from the Origin servers in the first place is faster than having the base game install from the disc? Installing from disc is basically getting the base game out of the way quick so the patch downloading can begin, dude.

Explain yourself, man.

If you have a decent connection, it's usually faster to download and install the whole client anew, rather than install from disc and then patch it up later. For example, installing World of Warcraft from disc and patching it up takes all day. Installing the whole thing from the internet takes like an hour or two, depending on your connection speed, because you'll usually get the current version of the client directly, when downloading games from Steam, Origin, Battlenet etc. For example - Blizzard games often don't even patch anymore after awhile of inactivity, without cleaning up the install beforehand (which never works for me).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.