Limited Edition - They Aren't Kidding This Time

#1 Edited by Lnin0 (151 posts) -

I had a $20 coupon at Kmart so stopped by first thing today to pick up a copy of BF3. The clerk said I was the first to buy a copy and asked if I just called asking about the Limited Edition. I said no as he went on to point out that they had only received LE copies for the PS3. All the 360 copies, including mine, were not.

I wanted to use the coupon so ended up buying the game from Kmart. Has anyone else found stores that do not have the LE for sale? I read that the 360 pre-sold much better than the PS3 version and that is why stores are not getting first run LE copies for the Xbox.

So...am I just missing the four retro maps? It isn't like the VIP pass that came with the BadCo2 LE copies is it?

I get that they use these tactics to push pre-orders and gauge sales but with a brand as established as BF do they really need to resort to splitting the community on DAY ONE? From what I understand, you cannot even purchase the 'LE" maps...which I would not have an issue with considering I saved $20 on the game.

Anyway. Just a word of caution to others picking up the game. Double check and try to get a LE copy if they are not sold out in your area.

#2 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

Are you sure? LE in EA terms is the initial run of the game.

#3 Posted by jakob187 (21670 posts) -

The Gamestop that I went to for the pre-order event were actually giving out two different versions as far as they told all of us. The ones that were pre-ordered were the Limited Edition with all the perks, and the ones that weren't pre-ordered were some form of regular copy with the Physical Warfare pack and Back To Karkand access. I didn't bother to look at anyone else's copies of the game, and I got my Limited Edition, so I could care less.

#4 Posted by Lnin0 (151 posts) -

Positive. We compared the boxes and the PS3 edition clearly said Limited Edition with a red streak denoting the bonus maps. My 360 version is in a generic BF3 case with no LE marking anyplace on it. Inside I got nothing but an online pass code.

#5 Posted by Wraxend (564 posts) -

Ouch sorry to hear.

#6 Posted by Beaudacious (929 posts) -

All i know is that, all PC versions are limited editions. Pre-orders simply got you the Physical Warfare pack, which is only early unlocks.

#7 Posted by mikey87144 (1774 posts) -

Oh I'll do you better with this Limited Edition thing. I pre-ordered Battlefield for the PS3 back on September 12th. October 25th roles around and I get an e-mail from Amazon were they apologizing profusely for underestimating how many people were pre-ordering the game. Long story short they ran out of the Limited Editions and they don't have any available right now. So a lot of Amazon's PS3 Battlefield costumers have to wait until they get more. So no Battlefield for me tonight. All it says on my account is shipping soon.

#8 Posted by jakob187 (21670 posts) -

@Lnin0 said:

Positive. We compared the boxes and the PS3 edition clearly said Limited Edition with a red streak denoting the bonus maps. My 360 version is in a generic BF3 case with no LE marking anyplace on it. Inside I got nothing but an online pass code.

I'll take that to mean that the rumors from last night were true. Everyone I personally knew had pre-ordered copies, so I couldn't find out one way or another. The guy that lives across the street went to Wal-Mart for his last night as I was informed by my brother shortly after I wrote my original post, so he's going to find out what kind of copy he got just for my curiosity.

#9 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

I long for the days when you could say "that game looks awesome" and then go into a store and say tot he man "here is my money, give me that awesome game" and then you went home and played the game and it was awesome.

#10 Posted by McShank (1629 posts) -

@mikey87144 said:

Oh I'll do you better with this Limited Edition thing. I pre-ordered Battlefield for the PS3 back on September 12th. October 25th roles around and I get an e-mail from Amazon were they apologizing profusely for underestimating how many people were pre-ordering the game. Long story short they ran out of the Limited Editions and they don't have any available right now. So a lot of Amazon's PS3 Battlefield costumers have to wait until they get more. So no Battlefield for me tonight. All it says on my account is shipping soon.

If its anything like Dark Souls, You wont be getting one. I had emailed amazon the day of the launch for dark souls even though I had pre-ordered 3 months prior to launch and they said they were waiting to hear back from the higherups if they were getting more and to wait patiently.. Ya, that meant that I wont be getting it.. Just cancel and head to the stores around your town as I bet someone has a ps3 version still.

#11 Posted by themangalist (1735 posts) -
@nintendoeats said:

I long for the days when you could say "that game looks awesome" and then go into a store and say tot he man "here is my money, give me that awesome game" and then you went home and played the game and it was awesome.

As a PC gamer those days never happened and will never happen, I'll tell you that much :/
#12 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@themangalist: Well OK, that last step always gave PC gamers difficulty. Garshasp inexplicably does not run on my machine. What will I ever do?

Or are you talking about something other element of the PC gamer experience?

#13 Posted by mikey87144 (1774 posts) -

@McShank said:

@mikey87144 said:

If its anything like Dark Souls, You wont be getting one. I had emailed amazon the day of the launch for dark souls even though I had pre-ordered 3 months prior to launch and they said they were waiting to hear back from the higherups if they were getting more and to wait patiently.. Ya, that meant that I wont be getting it.. Just cancel and head to the stores around your town as I bet someone has a ps3 version still.

Yea, that seemed to be a common theme on the forums. A couple of people mentioned Dark Souls. I don't understand how they ran out of pre-orders, especially considering I pre-ordered it more than a month before launch. Shouldn't you then expect the game since you did your due diligence and ordered it well ahead of time? I'm sorry for venting I'm really angry about this. I'll give it another day and see if they're willing to give me something for fucking up my order.

#14 Edited by themangalist (1735 posts) -
@nintendoeats: We're in the same page. I often literally spend 1/2 my playtime trying to get games work on my computer. I really wished there was just once when I can just make a purchase and just play a gawddamn game.

btw, WHAT ON EARTH R U DOING WITH A COPY OF GARSHASP.
#15 Edited by Lnin0 (151 posts) -

yeah, makes no sense for the pre-order people for sure. Say a factory 'run' is 10K copies and you get 12K pre-orders then you need to do two 'runs' for the special edition and dump the extra 8K into the retail chain. Not screw over the people who actually went and did all the pre-order BS for you.

I don't get why EA didn't just do as they did with BadCompany2 and make everything for the initial run Limited Edition. So what if there are a few copies floating around 6 months down the road. Are you really giving anything away or loosing money because someone found a LE copy come February?

#16 Posted by maskedarcstrike (701 posts) -

@Lnin0: I'm more shocked that there are still K-Mart's open in the U.S.

#17 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@themangalist: ColonelPopcorn bought it for me out of spite. It's actually kind of poetic that it doesn't run and therefore needlessly takes up 3 gigs of hard drive space.

#18 Posted by themangalist (1735 posts) -
@nintendoeats: Note the punctuation. That wasn't a question. That was a look of disgust and distaste. XP
#19 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@themangalist said:

@nintendoeats: Note the punctuation. That wasn't a question. That was a look of disgust and distaste. XP

See? POPCORN HATH RUINED MY REPUTATION! DAAAAAAAAAAAMN YOOOOOOOU DEITRIIIIIIIIIIICH!

#20 Posted by McShank (1629 posts) -

@mikey87144 said:

@McShank said:

@mikey87144 said:

Yea, that seemed to be a common theme on the forums. A couple of people mentioned Dark Souls. I don't understand how they ran out of pre-orders, especially considering I pre-ordered it more than a month before launch. Shouldn't you then expect the game since you did your due diligence and ordered it well ahead of time? I'm sorry for venting I'm really angry about this. I'll give it another day and see if they're willing to give me something for fucking up my order.

lol, maybe if i had not told them to go f off and to maybe stop pre-orders ONCE they sold out, this wouldn't be a problem then canceled my game I could have got something from them as all i wanted was the hard case for Dark Souls. I loved demon's to much to wait so i had to go buy it somewhere else instead of wait for a shitty response.

#21 Posted by WarlordPayne (700 posts) -

Kmart apparently only got about 25% Limited Editions of BF3, so anyone shopping there is more than likely going to end up with a normal copy.

The only thing different about the LE version is that you will be able to download the Return to Karkland expansion for free when it comes out. It has 4 maps from Battlefield 2, some new weapons and I think gadgets. No one actually has access to it right now, not even the LE versions, it comes out later this year and anyone who didn't get the LE can buy it then for, I think, $10.

I also got a voucher for early access to the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer beta in my LE version, I don't know if those come in the normal version or not.

#22 Posted by cactusspines (13 posts) -

Don't know if this helps or angers, but I just got back from Best Buy in Central Phoenix, Az...Limited Editions on the shelf for Xbox all over the place.

#23 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

@Beaudacious said:

All i know is that, all PC versions are limited editions. Pre-orders simply got you the Physical Warfare pack, which is only early unlocks.

If that's true, I'm so glad I didn't fall for that shit.

#24 Posted by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

@WarlordPayne said:

The only thing different about the LE version is that you will be able to download the Return to Karkland expansion for free when it comes out. It has 4 maps from Battlefield 2, some new weapons and I think gadgets.

This was really confusing me. I had assumed that the LE would be similar to how they did it with BC2, but when every headline was saying "Preorder only to get limited edition Back to Karkand" I thought they meant codes that they handed out to you at rrailers. Thank you for clearing up this manner, sir.

#25 Posted by MetalMoog (908 posts) -

@maskedarcstrike said:

@Lnin0: I'm more shocked that there are still K-Mart's open in the U.S.

Yeah K-Marts went tits up here in Canada about 15 years ago. Once Wal-Mart moved in. I got the limited edition 360 copy last night from Best Buy and it came with the back to karkand stuff, a pistol from gun club some dog tag unlocks and a sweet t shirt.

#26 Posted by Freezer_Burn (207 posts) -

I went to the midnight release at a Future Shop, and they had both versions, LE and basic Battlefield 3. Another guy there had pre-ordered from EB Games, but had similarly been told they ran out of limited editions, so he came to Future Shop instead.

#27 Edited by redbliss (647 posts) -

That doesnt make any sense. Why would they have maps that only some people can access and play? The more I hear about Battlefield the more I think EA and DICE completely mishandled the game.

#28 Posted by WarlordPayne (700 posts) -

@redbliss said:

That doesnt make any sense. Why would they have maps that only some people can access and play? The more I hear about Battlefield the more I think EA and DICE completely mishandled the game.

It's no different than the map packs that every multiplayer shooter releases, except that people who preorder get the pack for free.

#29 Edited by redbliss (647 posts) -

@WarlordPayne said:

@redbliss said:

It's no different than the map packs that every multiplayer shooter releases, except that people who preorder get the pack for free.

Oh, I thought people who didnt preorder the game couldnt get the maps yet. I have not followed any of the DLC or preorder stuff for Battlefield and I havent gotten Battlefield, but are you sure you can get the preorder bonuses right now if you didnt preorder? It doesnt look like that stuff is available online right now.

Nevermind about that. I see how the preorder bonus works now. Still, that was way more confusing than it needed to be.

#30 Edited by Xeiphyer (5604 posts) -

Best Buy had regular copies on sale, and the LE's reserved for preorders only.

I imagine people will be able to find LE's tomorrow or the next day after people don't get their preorder pickups or cancel them. Depends on the store's policy for how long they hold them though.

#31 Posted by bwmcmaste (842 posts) -

@redbliss said:

This actually happened with Bad Company 2: there were several maps that you could only get with the Limited Edition, and some players didn't have them; this was frustrating, as BC2 had a cyclical map rotation, so there was always this mysterious disappearance of players when the rotation turned to the limited maps.

Regarding the topic: I went in to EB Games (the Canadian branch of your evil American Gamestop) and the cashier was just handing out the pre-order cards with every version that walked out the door (PS3 at least).

I did not pre-order BF3, but I did get a fancy little card that says "THANK YOU FOR YOUR PRE-ORDER AT GAMESTOP," which includes the "Physical Warfare Pack," but no Back to Karkand map. At this point, I have given up on trying to understand what EA's retail strategy is; I'm just going with the flow until I hit the rocks.

#32 Posted by Bollard (5546 posts) -

@McShank said:

@mikey87144 said:

I bought Dark Souls last Tuesday from (UK) Amazon, and got the Limited Edition for £3 less than the RRP. Steal IMO, not sure how they ran out of them for you. Unless you mean the Collectors Edition.

#33 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@themangalist said:

@nintendoeats said:

As a PC gamer those days never happened and will never happen, I'll tell you that much :/

As a PC gamer, those days happen frequently. The only difference is I never have to go to a store. Then I install a hi-res texture pack and the game looks even more awesome.

@cactusspines said:

Don't know if this helps or angers, but I just got back from Best Buy in Central Phoenix, Az...Limited Editions on the shelf for Xbox all over the place.

The problem there is that one actually has to go to Central Phoenix :/

#34 Posted by McShank (1629 posts) -

@Chavtheworld said:

@McShank said:

@mikey87144 said:

I bought Dark Souls last Tuesday from (UK) Amazon, and got the Limited Edition for £3 less than the RRP. Steal IMO, not sure how they ran out of them for you. Unless you mean the Collectors Edition.

collectors is the limited and amazon had thousands of back orders that they could not complete. Really turned me off of ordering games from them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.