Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Mine Love

Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
    Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn

For me, the best game play improvement from BC2 is mines not disappearing once you die. There is nothing more satisfying than running around when suddenly a triple kill pops up because some poor sap has driven his buggy right over my mines.

People will eventually learn to look out for them and once most people unlock the scanner they will not be as much fun but right now they are my favourite weapon in the game by a long way.

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By BawlZINmotion

I love mines in Battlefield 3. They seem more powerful and difficult to spot. That and once the enemy rolls over it they're dead. No warning or chance to bail.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Chainblast said:

once the enemy rolls over it they're dead. No warning or chance to bail.

That's a good thing to you? I'm an engineer and I look forward to using the mines, but the fact that they're hard to see and give the enemy no warning whatsoever sounds unfair to me.
    Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Arker101

@AhmadMetallic: But once you have the scanner, you can always see them, and if you suspect they're there, drive off road or use the EOD bot.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @AhmadMetallic said:
    @Chainblast said:

That's a good thing to you? I'm an engineer and I look forward to using the mines, but the fact that they're hard to see and give the enemy no warning whatsoever sounds unfair to me.
    This is about right, annoying as hell. And from what I can tell you cant even shoot the mines even if you do see them.
    infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By infininja

@Extreme_Popcorn said:

For me, the best game play improvement from BC2 is mines not disappearing once you die.

If by improvement you mean exactly the same as, sure.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Sackmanjones said:
    @AhmadMetallic said:
    @Chainblast said:

This is about right, annoying as hell. And from what I can tell you cant even shoot the mines even if you do see them.
    Can't you torch them?
    Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @AhmadMetallic said:
    @Sackmanjones said:
    @AhmadMetallic said:
    @Chainblast said:

Can't you torch them?
    Oh I honestly dont know. I just know it bc2 you could take a few shots at them and they would explode and that didnt seem to work. Didnt try your idea though
    BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BawlZINmotion

@Sackmanjones said:

@AhmadMetallic said:
    @Sackmanjones said:
    @AhmadMetallic said:
    @Chainblast said:

Can't you torch them?
    Oh I honestly dont know. I just know it bc2 you could take a few shots at them and they would explode and that didnt seem to work. Didnt try your idea though

Oh I assumed you could blow them up by shooting them. If you cannot, that kind of does suck. I just like how they are not as obvious as they were in Bad Company 2.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By MikkaQ

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Chainblast said:

Yeah if you're in a hummer or jeep and you're going fast enough you should get to survive.. Those things go quickly and it's really hard to react to a mine once you see it. Tanks are slow, so they deserve it for running over mines.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By shiftymagician

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Chainblast said:

Isn't the point of a mine to be hidden and deadly? Sounds like the mines are serving their purpose to me.

bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By bwmcmaste

@ShiftyMagician said:

Isn't the point of a mine to be hidden and deadly? Sounds like the mines are serving their purpose to me.

Correct. I should also mention that mines did not disappear after you died in BC2, but there was a limit on the quantity that could be deployed.

Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
    Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn

@Chainblast: You can blow them up. I've blown them up with both tank MG's, tanks main gun and the IFV main gun.

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Still_I_Cry

Damn you miners!

I haven't been a victim of your tactics yet though (people run to the tanks before I can get near them most of the time :P )

theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By theguy

@Chainblast said:

@Sackmanjones said:

@AhmadMetallic said:
    @Sackmanjones said:
    @AhmadMetallic said:
    @Chainblast said:

Can't you torch them?

Oh I assumed you could blow them up by shooting them. If you cannot, that kind of does suck. I just like how they are not as obvious as they were in Bad Company 2.

You can walk over and pick them up, I've done it. Don't think you can then put them down though.

cornwalliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By cornwalliz

I love the mines, I put one down on the canals map and when those boat drivers come fast up the ramp, I like seeing that boat blow up to the sky

confideration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By confideration

You can shoot the mines with explosives. A hand grenade works pretty well for clearing out a cluster of 3 mines.

If you're driving a tank - shoot at all choke points. If you're in a buggy... don't take the road.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FrankCanada97

@Chainblast said:

@Sackmanjones said:

@AhmadMetallic said:
    @Sackmanjones said:
    @AhmadMetallic said:
    @Chainblast said:

Can't you torch them?

You can blow them up by shooting them, you even get points for doing so.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By mfpantst
    @FrankCanada97 said:

@Chainblast said:

@Sackmanjones said:

@AhmadMetallic said:
    @Sackmanjones said:
    @AhmadMetallic said:
    @Chainblast said:

Can't you torch them?

This is correct.  I tend to play as support, but I'm building up me engineer and assault classes for when I need them.  I am the resident minelayer on one particular map (sienne crossing).  It apepars that once you lay mines they stay until either they blow up or someone/something blows them up.  I have actually had mine/tank battles where a tank is sitting there blowing up my mines I laid (either they see them or have that scanner thing).  This has created some interesting dynamic as on occasion I have been able to sneak around and shoot rockets into the engine of a tank because the driver was so consumed with shooting the mines.  This seems like a balanced mechanic as is.  Also, it seems the mines do not kill a vehicle with just one hit, or without a direct hit.  I've seen APC's roll past my mines because they cut a corner, or because they just brushed a mine (getting disabled in the process).  Also, mortars destroy mines so there's that.  Anyways, I think the mines are effective and not automatic killers.  that being said, one the sienne crossing if you have mines starting from point C to the other side of the bridge, it makes it way easier for your team to hold that C point because enemy tanks move so much slower. 
    This also seems to me the function of mines in BF3.  They don't exist so much to blow up tanks as to slow down tanks or force them to take other routes.  Which allows for more coordination on the team fighting against the tank.
    BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BawlZINmotion

@mfpantst said:

@FrankCanada97 said:

@Chainblast said:

@Sackmanjones said:

@AhmadMetallic said:
    @Sackmanjones said:
    @AhmadMetallic said:
    @Chainblast said:

Can't you torch them?

This is correct. I tend to play as support, but I'm building up me engineer and assault classes for when I need them. I am the resident minelayer on one particular map (sienne crossing). It apepars that once you lay mines they stay until either they blow up or someone/something blows them up. I have actually had mine/tank battles where a tank is sitting there blowing up my mines I laid (either they see them or have that scanner thing). This has created some interesting dynamic as on occasion I have been able to sneak around and shoot rockets into the engine of a tank because the driver was so consumed with shooting the mines. This seems like a balanced mechanic as is. Also, it seems the mines do not kill a vehicle with just one hit, or without a direct hit. I've seen APC's roll past my mines because they cut a corner, or because they just brushed a mine (getting disabled in the process). Also, mortars destroy mines so there's that. Anyways, I think the mines are effective and not automatic killers. that being said, one the sienne crossing if you have mines starting from point C to the other side of the bridge, it makes it way easier for your team to hold that C point because enemy tanks move so much slower. This also seems to me the function of mines in BF3. They don't exist so much to blow up tanks as to slow down tanks or force them to take other routes. Which allows for more coordination on the team fighting against the tank.

That is totally awesome.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#21  Edited By Giantstalker

A single mine will take a tank down to the 30% range... but I noticed it is possible to hit more than one mine simultaneously, in which case you just die instantly.

Not complaining about mines, just them's the breaks is all

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By mfpantst

@Chainblast: Yup. And tonight I have verified. Mines are good, a good tank or enemy player can get rid of them.

bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By bwmcmaste

@mfpantst said:

@Chainblast: Yup. And tonight I have verified. Mines are good, a good tank or enemy player can get rid of them.

I would also like to point out that the IR scope on MBTs allows you to see mines clear as day and is an excellent way of taking care of them if you find yourself needing to maneuver in reduced visibility - as is want to happen when you are blowing things to smithereens with tank shells.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#24  Edited By big_jon

I've only been destroyed by mines twice, and I have 700 MBT kills.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.