Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

My thoughts on the Battlefield 3 BETA

• 80 results
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By RsistncE

The beta client we have is over one month old.

thornie_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By thornie_delete

K/D needs to be removed from these kinds of games. I'm sorry, it just does. At the very least, it needs to be confined to TDM servers. Total score and Score Per Minute should be the only stats that matter. Let K/D be a CoD thing, I'm fine with that. I just think it has no place in team oriented shooters. The Score Per Minute stat is the only stat you need to see if someone is a good player. I can go into the myriad of reasons why K/D is bad for Battlefied, but I won't because if it isn't already obvious to you as to why, then I don't want to be on your team.

Zatoichi_Sanjuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Zatoichi_Sanjuro

@thornie said:

K/D needs to be removed from these kinds of games. I'm sorry, it just does. At the very least, it needs to be confided to TDM servers. Total score and Score Per Minute should be the only stats that matter. Let K/D be a CoD thing, I'm fine with that. I just think it has no place in team oriented shooters. The Score Per Minute stat is the only stat you need to see if someone is a good player. I can go into the myriad of reasons why K/D is bad for Battlefied, but I won't because if it isn't already obvious to you as to why, then I don't want to be on your team.

Replace K/D with ping times.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54  Edited By Simplexity

BF2 still seems like a better game, this just seems like they combined BF2 with Bad Company 2 and then schlopped a new engine on it and called it a day.

Disappointing.

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By blueduck

@Sooty said:

@zombie2011 said:

This game is messed up, and this isn't even a beta the game is out in couple weeks.

It's actually a month or so old build of a game that isn't out yet.

So no it's a beta.

and a game can be two weeks from release and be classed as a beta; it's called server testing.

No server testing is called a stress test and why are they having everyone test a build that is a month old when the game comes out in a few weeks.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Three0neFive
    @RsistncE said:

I didn't read the first post.

Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#57  Edited By Evilmetal

@AhmadMetallic:

1. I think Battlelog should have been an optional side tool with a real GUI for in-game, and then judging by results from BF3 then they could do something more solid in BF4.

2. I think squad leaders in BF3 were being worked on? possibly not final. However as it is now, it is BC2 style. Not very team oriented. Just an extra spawn point to spawn and then go about your own personal business on the map.

3. I think the bullets are fine? Metro is a CQB type map, so things may be more powerful. Maybe in longer ranges, the damage is less. Otherwise they will have to rebalance weapons for different sized maps?

4. The map in BF3 is garbage. I hardly use it. Looking to the bottom left area of the screen is not natural to me. Plus I don't understand the x-ray styled map yet. The old BF2 style was easy to understand. I had read a post long ago from a mod on the BF UK forums, say something along the lines of 'wouldn't it be nice to configure the interface how you liked it?' ... Not really posed a question, it seemed like a statement to me, like 'expect it'.. but not confirmed. It needs it though.

5. Join squad 'PWNAGE' . It was funny, to name your own squads and then at the end of the round to see the names of the top squads of both sides. It's these minor details that add flavor to a game. Battlelog seems to obscure this as well as the ease of getting into a squad and chatting it up for randoms.

Let's imagine the present Battlelog for a moment, shall we? "Hey bra, be my friend so we can use VOIP in-game. A/S/L... tee hee hee... " WTF man. I don't want to be your friend. "I remember it like it was yesterday... we became friends while playing Operation Metro... awww..." WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF. I just want to beat the opponent in the game, and even if we can't... to just use the tools to coordinate tactics better. Be friends... fuck that shit. I just want to play the game, without random 'friends'. Suddenly we must all become friendly. Then you can see when I play and how many hours I play and who I play with... A game with strings attached or something. Maybe someone wants to "Get in and get out" without the friendship stuff, but still use VOIP and squad tools with becoming friends. IF after several days of gaming you see a player is a good team player "Hey man, join our platoon" ... and from there it can proceed. But not this "To just use the tools you must friend everyone". Garbage design. Pfft.. Battlelog... and now when Facebook is gaining negative attention for privacy issues...

6. teamwork points were cool

7. I spawned into a jet and the players who were waiting for it to spawn got pissed at me. I flew around, tried to dog fight another jet but using only the main-gun was not very fun for me. In the end I just crashed it on those players waiting for the jet to spawn.

-- extra side comments

X1. The browser interface is ass. If anything it should all be integrated into Origin, if they are to do it --without using your own browser. I think they will integrate it in the future. EA initially used Gamespy back in the day for BF2, for player accounts. EA probably learned some things and said "Screw Gamespy, we can do this ourselves". I'm sure EA will say "Screw ... [ the company that made the technology behind battlelog ] we can do this ourselves and integrate it with all our products" etc etc,.. Maybe they instead may buy that company out.

X2. With the release of the BF3 beta, I increasingly followed certain youtube vlogs to see their BF3 gameplay videos, on all of the platforms. ONE thing stuck out for me. ALL versions of BF3 looked the SAME. Now you may see "ohh PC has higher resolution" , etc , etc... but just take a step back and LOOK. It is the same thing. CONSOLE PORT is written all over it. Simply saying "Console port" is silly because PCs are used to write the code... create the graphics, etc for all systems. But when I use the term CONSOLE PORT, I am referring to...... console accessibility. MS and Sony I think have certain accessibility rules for developers. And I think the results of these 'rules' are passed down to the PC. It's easier to develop the product this way, rather than branching out various versions all over the place.

Maybe the easier question is "What's the difference?" forget player count and stuff. BC2 PC could do 64 players, I hypothesize. If you look at the squad menu in BC2, there were 8 squad names with 4 slots each... 8x4=32. So 32 on one side and 32 on the other... 64. Why have 8 squad names if only 4 were really necessary? They probably encountered network instability and said 'screw it'. They may have different renderers for each of the systems. But who will notice? I don't see it on the screen. The shadows are crisper? really? who looks at that?

What I want to highlight is that from a distance, in standard resolutions of youtube all 3 versions are the same looking. Don't let EA say PC lead platform and stuff... these are the same people who talked of "Map-athy" and their solution, to counter MW2's map packs, was unlocking map modes. They have a habit of hyping stuff up and then when it releases, it's not all that special.

Proceed with caution.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

a lot of the technical stuff i believe will be fixed in the full game so not too worried about those

mostly little niggles i wish they'd change but they probably won't. i don't like getting bumped around when someone spawns on me. i don't like the weird effects on the font so you can barely read what you're getting points for. and yes i hate the scoreboard, either just show points or show more statistics than kills and deaths, it's stupid.

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#59  Edited By metalmoog

I'm gonna rent this eventually and if it's still playing and looking like the 360 beta it's gonna be dead online as fast as Medal of Honor was. Hopefully it lives up to all of the hype EA and DICE have been churning out all year. I loved Bad Company 2, and this game isn't anywhere near as good currently on the 360. In it's current state this game doesn't have a hope of dethroning CoD, which is a shame.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By RsistncE

@Three0neFive said:

@RsistncE said:

Wtf are you talking about? OP doesn't say anything about the fact that a lot of jankiness he's pointing out (such as bullet damage) is probably fixed in the latest version of the game. My point still stands.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#61  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Zatoichi_Sanjuro said:

@thornie said:

K/D needs to be removed from these kinds of games. I'm sorry, it just does. At the very least, it needs to be confided to TDM servers. Total score and Score Per Minute should be the only stats that matter. Let K/D be a CoD thing, I'm fine with that. I just think it has no place in team oriented shooters. The Score Per Minute stat is the only stat you need to see if someone is a good player. I can go into the myriad of reasons why K/D is bad for Battlefied, but I won't because if it isn't already obvious to you as to why, then I don't want to be on your team.

Replace K/D with ping times.

I disagree. You only hate K/D because the "teamwork" column is no longer there to rival it. If they add it, your kills and deaths will not be as important. They will remain very important, and they should be, I mean they show your skills at killing and surviving, but they won't have all the attention anymore. There will be a big TEAMWORK column and you're gonna praise the people who have a high score on that. K/D stays though, it's a shooter dude.

@Evilmetal said:

X1. The browser interface is ass.

Care to elaborate?

CONSOLE PORT is written all over it. Simply saying "Console port" is silly because PCs are used to write the code... create the graphics, etc for all systems. But when I use the term CONSOLE PORT, I am referring to...... console accessibility. MS and Sony I think have certain accessibility rules for developers. And I think the results of these 'rules' are passed down to the PC. It's easier to develop the product this way, rather than branching out various versions all over the place.

Makes a lot of sense, and after trying out the game for myself, I agree. It's clearly designed to be easily accessible for a console, so much that I'm personally positive it's a console port. But hey, it's a great game on PC, especially that we're continuously asking for so much and forcing DICE to listen. All we need is better shooting, a real squad system, tweaked air vehicles, and we're all set.

@RsistncE said:

@Three0neFive said:

@RsistncE said:

*SNIP*

Wtf are you talking about? OP doesn't say anything about the fact that a lot of jankiness he's pointing out (such as bullet damage) is probably fixed in the latest version of the game. My point still stands.

So, the fact that this is a beta of an old build with no squad leader tasks + no squad management + gimped air vehicles + crappy holo-x-ray minimap and game-map, somehow means that the full game will have a command interface for SLs + a real squad system + better flight mechanics + a big colorful and detailed game map?

Hey, this beta doesn't have a commander, but it's a beta, that means the full game will have commanders! The shitty game design seen in the beta is the shitty game design that was intended for the game and that will be used in the full release..
    mgray5159

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By mgray5159

I already removed my preorder

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#63  Edited By fattony12000

Well, I'm having fun with it!

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By RIDEBIRD

I fucking love it and have no doubt about them fixing the bugs. It's easily one of the best multiplayer shooters I've played. However, the lack of squad management is complete fucking bullshit. If Battlelog works properly at launch and isn't completely broken as it is now (server slot reserved, can't join on people, never get in the same squad even if we join as party etc) I can cope, I guess, but come oooon, give us squads back..

Regarding squad leader - yeah I miss it too dude, but it will not be coming back. I can live without that just fine though.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#66  Edited By mosdl

$100 that they open Caspian soon to help swing the popular vote? :)

Zatoichi_Sanjuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Zatoichi_Sanjuro

@mosdl said:

Then why close it in the first place?

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#68  Edited By mosdl

@Zatoichi_Sanjuro said:

@mosdl said:

Then why close it in the first place?

They were beta testing the server part for 64 conquest. There was a lag issues that people ran into on 64 servers (48 ones had no issues as far as I could tell), so if we see Caspian it would be with a new server update. Real beta test.

ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#69  Edited By ericdrum

@AhmadMetallic: That's such awesome news!!!!

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By AlexW00d
    clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By clstirens

@AhmadMetallic: Oh man, that makes me so happy. I was puzzled why it was missing, and it was a continual headache for our group. Battlelog would load us into a server together, but if we didn't load the game fast enough to get into the squad, other people would take up the slots in stead.

sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#72  Edited By sjupp

I like this game. I'm going to buy it.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By RIDEBIRD
    @AhmadMetallic Oh thank heavens.
    infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By infininja

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Infininja said:

Two Englishy things: Why are you capitalizing beta and why does the Operation Métro page spell métro wrong?

1- It feels cool 2-who cares about that french smudge on the E? lol.

I care about it. It makes the Giant Bomb wiki look bad. Even the Battlefield Wikia page gets it right.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Infininja said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Infininja said:

Two Englishy things: Why are you capitalizing beta and why does the Operation Métro page spell métro wrong?

1- It feels cool 2-who cares about that french smudge on the E? lol.

I care about it. It makes the Giant Bomb wiki look bad. Even the Battlefield Wikia page gets it right.

Well, I didn't create the map's page, but sure people who create pages need to be more careful. 
    However, I am the editor of the BF3 page and I spelled it correctly :P
    Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Evilmetal

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Evilmetal said:

X1. The browser interface is ass.

Care to elaborate?

I explained a bit in the original, but... having to use your own browser is not clean [the ass part] I think. They should, if they want to follow through on this [that I don't like to begin with because they want this just for the money and not in the interest of gaming, though they will try and sell it as if it is], integrate their own game browser or interface in the game; without resorting to force people to use their web browser. With a personal web browser, you could simply go to a hostile website and it becomes infected... will you be able to go to a hostile location with an integrated game browser or interface? No. This is the idea I was suggesting/hinting at. If someone wants to infects an integrated game browser or interface, they will have to go out of their way and do it. Is it worth it?

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#77  Edited By Bouke

I agree with most points you mentioned and i have noticed all of the deaths mentioned in the video attached to point 3 (of the bad). So far i've been having fun with the Beta, even more since Caspian Border went online for everyone on PC.

Disagree with the comment you made about the Stinger, i've been using it (i haven't got the explosive bonus perk, if its even in BF3) but you still need to hit a jet 3 times in a short timespan to take it down. After the second hit you get the vehicle disabled mention and points but you have to hit it again right after or you'll get nothing. Futher more the Stinger doesn't have a lot of range and you have to be pretty much in the open to keep tracking the jet. After using it for a while and only getting one kill i switched to using mines and RPG's instead. The AA vehicle is far more effective and you can use that on more then just jets and choppers.

I have been playing some as squad leader and try to pick out the best points to attack or defend next, but its hard if your team is just going of doing they're own thing. Basicly its only usefull if you play with friends to get some extra points fast. I would love to see a commander getting some more options like the one you mentioned, but on the other hand i'm not sure when you'll have the time to look at a map and come up with a strategy before getting killed.

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By SpencerTucksen

The flight mechanics are just too frustrating to learn and I feel like such a dickhead when I have to take a heli from someone who probably knows how to use it in order for my dumb ass to learn. So I just quit and jump in if someone else is already a pilot. I hate that. In BC2, the flying was much easier, to me. It's just not my thing.

easthill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By easthill

@SpencerTucksen: Play the coop mission to death.

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By SpencerTucksen
    @easthill said:

@SpencerTucksen: Play the coop mission to death.

I think I just might. I got some practice, and now I can fly without crashing instantly with the jets. Only problem...I can't hit anything or anyone. Except for planes, since I murderlized like five jets in my last game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.