Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

New Battlefield trailer is a go!!!!

peligroy2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic

omg. yay ! we know some of that footage from the leaked GDC video. still i effing love the hand-to-hand combat :D

1:47: PRAWWWWWWWWWNNNUHHHH  

P.S. this shoulda been posted on the BF3 forums

Avatar image for dr_shiggityshwa
    Dr_shiggityshwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Dr_shiggityshwa

Amazing. This game is going to end up pushing me to build a new PC to run it.

Avatar image for weegieanawrench
    weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By weegieanawrench

Dude. QTE face punching is cool.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By shiftymagician

Can't wait for April 17. Enough with the small teases!

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6  Edited By Marz

i'll just embed it here.

Solemn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Solemn
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " omg. yay ! we know some of that footage from the leaked GDC video. still i effing love the hand-to-hand combat :D 1:47: PRAWWWWWWWWWNNNUHHHH    P.S. this shoulda been posted on the BF3 forums "
    Its already there. Though I was 12 minutes late.
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Slaker117

I think this might be in the depths of the uncanny valley for me. Everything looks real enough for the anachronisms of a video game from the first-person perspective to really bother me.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By shiftymagician
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " omg. yay ! we know some of that footage from the leaked GDC video. still i effing love the hand-to-hand combat :D 1:47: PRAWWWWWWWWWNNNUHHHH    P.S. this shoulda been posted on the BF3 forums "
    No it should be in general discussion.  Everyone needs to know.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Can't wait to play this on PC.

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FesteringNeon

I'm getting a PC just for this game.  
    Looks fantastic. I hope they include the BOOOOOMMM followed by the ending jingle somewhere in the game. Never gets old. 

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Oldirtybearon
    @bukkookkub said:
    " I'm getting a PC just for this game.  Looks fantastic. I hope they include the BOOOOOMMM followed by the ending jingle somewhere in the game. Never gets old.  "
    Yeah I loved it in Terminator Salvation's advertising.
    FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FesteringNeon
    @KingWilly:  I'm having a hard time deciding if this is meant to be sarcastic or not.. 
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @ShiftyMagician said:
    " Can't wait for April 17. Enough with the small teases! "
    YOU'RE THE FUCKING TEASE 
    WHATS HAPPENING APRIL 17TH MAN? 

" @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    No it should be in general discussion.  Everyone needs to know. "
    you're a good man. 

@bukkookkub said:
    " @KingWilly:  I'm having a hard time deciding if this is meant to be sarcastic or not..  "
    as much as i... worship.. Battlefield, dude's right.. they totally ripped off the Terminator Salvation trailer style 
    which doesnt really bother me. i think its a coincidence 
    Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Oldirtybearon
    @bukkookkub: It's not sarcastic. It's pointing out the obvious. 

@Ahmad_Metallic: The first trailer for T4 made me hard for that very style. If any FPS deserves to lift it, it's Battlefield.
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#16  Edited By PhatSeeJay
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @ShiftyMagician said:
    YOU'RE THE FUCKING TEASE 
    Well a video of the full mission, of course, unedited from start to the shaking end.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @PhatSeeJay said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @ShiftyMagician said:
    YOU'RE THE FUCKING TEASE 
    Well a video of the full mission, of course, unedited from start to the shaking end. "
    well that sounds.. pointless =/
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PhatSeeJay
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @PhatSeeJay said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @ShiftyMagician said:
    YOU'RE THE FUCKING TEASE 
    Well a video of the full mission, of course, unedited from start to the shaking end. "
    well that sounds.. pointless =/ "
    Oh but imagine. We're talking 12 minutes. Who knows? Maybe they throw in a snippet of multiplayer?
    Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Dingofighter

This didn't get me anywhere near as excited as the previous trailers have... 
    Also, I get that the game looks great, but why are so many people saying it's pretty much the best-looking game ever, when Crysis 2, which I think seems to be on about the same level, just came out...

Solemn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Solemn

12 minutes of HD goodness on the 17th. The Little Bird and those casings falling was pretty damn awesome.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PhatSeeJay
    @MaFoLu said:

" This didn't get me anywhere near as excited as the previous trailers have... Also, I get that the game looks great, but why are so many people saying it's pretty much the best-looking game ever, when Crysis 2, which I think seems to be on about the same level, just came out... "

It's just a guess but from what I've heard, the DX11 patch that Crytek were speaking of is supposedly nothing that was confirmed. Seems like it's not coming out at all. That means they have pushed it only so far that Dx10 can go.
    The little we've seen of BF3 looks beautiful and they've already said that they are going to push for PC exclusive Dx11 content. Think the main idea behind that BF3 is the "best-looking game ever" is more the fact that they seem more keen on pushing the PC graphics than Crytek. At least that's from the impressions we're given by what has been said from Crytek so far. It can change, sure. But DICE have shown us that they can go batshit insane with graphics, effects and sound if they have the tech and the new Frostbite seem to be the tech they need.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @PhatSeeJay said:

" @MaFoLu said:

" This didn't get me anywhere near as excited as the previous trailers have... Also, I get that the game looks great, but why are so many people saying it's pretty much the best-looking game ever, when Crysis 2, which I think seems to be on about the same level, just came out... "
    It's just a guess but from what I've heard, the DX11 patch that Crytech were speaking of is supposedly nothing that was confirmed. Seems like it's not coming out at all. That means they have pushed it only so far that Dx10 can go. The little we've seen of BF3 looks beautiful and they've already said that they are going to push for PC exclusive Dx11 content. Think the main idea behind that BF3 is the "best-looking game ever" is more the fact that they seem more keen on pushing the PC graphics than Crytech. At least that's from the impressions we're given by what has been said from Crytech so far. It can change, sure. But DICE have shown us that they can go batshit insane with graphics, effects and sound if they have the tech and the new Frostbite seem to be the tech they need. "
    And batshit insane they shall deliver <3 
    also, its Crytek, dude, not Crytech.. a K instead of the CH to be cool, brah 

i love Crytek but i never got their stupid fucking name. cry-tech. cry? crysis. far cry. CRY? WHO'S CRYING? whats cool about the word 'cry' to have it as the name of your company and in all your game titles? 
    you do realize we're saying cry, right ? 

<=== that.  crying. cry tech. the tech of crying. the fuck ?  
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PhatSeeJay
    @Ahmad_Metallic Yes thank you for that elaborate nonsense as a mean to correct my spelling that I was already in the process of correcting myself.
    Also cry doesn't always have to mean cry. Cry can mean shout, scream and yell as well. Could mean that their push for graphics have been an outcry to the public that PC was a force to be reckoned with.
    Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Dingofighter
    @Ahmad_Metallic: @PhatSeeJay:  
    I've heard that the CRY in Crytek and their products stands for Cevat R. Yerli, who is the founder and CEO of Crytek. 
    I'm not sure whether his middle name actually is anything with R, but it would make sense if that was the case.
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PhatSeeJay
    @MaFoLu:  Makes a lot of sense. He's German after all and probably didn't care too much about the English meaning behind that name.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @PhatSeeJay said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic Yes thank you for that elaborate nonsense as a mean to correct my spelling that I was already in the process of correcting myself. "
    that wasnt elaborate nonsense, that was me ranting about their silly name which i did after correcting you, something you dont have to be so defensive about because it was a simple "dude btw, its this not that" correction.. 
    sorry if i offended you so much >_>
    CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CaptainObvious

The graphics look amazing, but I'm completely burned out by modern military shooters, so I think I'll pass.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#28  Edited By citizenkane

Man, I am getting more and more excited about this game with every new video they show.  Can't wait for the 17th!

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I really want to see some multiplayer now.

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By sameeeeam

This is looking rad.

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jmfinamore

Parts of this still look weird to me. The arms are oddly skinny, and so is the gun. It seems to lack the heft and weight that BC2 always felt like it had. But man the sound is incredible, and whoever came up with that gritty electronic music/noise for the end is a genius.

Also, am I the only one who misses the character design from BC2? I know they're going more realistic with this, but I just loved how unique and cool the characters in BC2 were. Bring back arm socks and visors.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32  Edited By Seppli
    @HarlequinRiot said:
    " Parts of this still look weird to me. The arms are oddly skinny, and so is the gun. It seems to lack the heft and weight that BC2 always felt like it had. But man the sound is incredible, and whoever came up with that gritty electronic music/noise for the end is a genius.  Also, am I the only one who misses the character design from BC2? I know they're going more realistic with this, but I just loved how unique and cool the characters in BC2 were. Bring back arm socks and visors. "
    These are GB in-jokes right? Skinny forearms and arm socks and stuff...
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Seppli
    @HarlequinRiot said:

" Parts of this still look weird to me. The arms are oddly skinny, and so is the gun. It seems to lack the heft and weight that BC2 always felt like it had. But man the sound is incredible, and whoever came up with that gritty electronic music/noise for the end is a genius.  Also, am I the only one who misses the character design from BC2? I know they're going more realistic with this, but I just loved how unique and cool the characters in BC2 were. Bring back arm socks and visors. "

btw. if you're actually serious, that's because of the much higher FOV (Field of View) of BF3. Console-optimized FOV is usually around 50-60 degrees (BF:BC 2 has a default FOV of 60 degrees I believe). This footage seems to be more like 70-80 degrees. Guess console versions of BF3 will feature all the meaty forearms and screen filling guns you want thanks to the more narrow FOV.

Likely getting both PC and PS3 versions, so I'll enjoy both meaty and skinny forearms alike. I'm indiscriminate in my fondness for BF forearms.
    jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jmfinamore
    @Seppli said:
    " @HarlequinRiot said:
    These are GB in-jokes right? Skinny forearms and arm socks and stuff... "
    Lol, are they? I've definitely heard people complain about the skinny arms though. I'm just a big fan of arm socks, what can I say?
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @HarlequinRiot said:
    " @Seppli said:
    " @HarlequinRiot said:
    These are GB in-jokes right? Skinny forearms and arm socks and stuff... "
    Lol, are they? I've definitely heard people complain about the skinny arms though. I'm just a big fan of arm socks, what can I say? "
    screw you guys :P
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Seppli
    @PhatSeeJay said:

" @MaFoLu said:

It's just a guess but from what I've heard, the DX11 patch that Crytek were speaking of is supposedly nothing that was confirmed. Seems like it's not coming out at all. That means they have pushed it only so far that Dx10 can go. The little we've seen of BF3 looks beautiful and they've already said that they are going to push for PC exclusive Dx11 content. Think the main idea behind that BF3 is the "best-looking game ever" is more the fact that they seem more keen on pushing the PC graphics than Crytek. At least that's from the impressions we're given by what has been said from Crytek so far. It can change, sure. But DICE have shown us that they can go batshit insane with graphics, effects and sound if they have the tech and the new Frostbite seem to be the tech they need. "
    You have to consider the context of the BF heritage too. 64 players from BF 1942, BF2 and BF 2142. Destructibility from BF:BC and BF:BC 2.  In context with metropolitan city maps (New York and Paris and Teheran are confirmed) and the possibilities of Frostbite 2 (unlimited dynamic light sources, destructibility on large structures found in metropolitan environments). All the explosive ordonance and war machines imaginable at our disposal, simulated to feel real - authentic - easy to pick up and hard to master. All of this coming together for us to play in the perfectly romanticized virtual theater of modern war. Imagine. Envision. Feel the epicness encroach on your soul and take iron grip on your wet gaming dreams. The prefect game of cops and robbers. Cowboys and Indians. Toy Soldiers!

Within the context of actually being a semi-massively multiplayer game being played on completely interactive (aka destructible) sandbox-style maps and with hi-fidelity simulation of vehicles and ballistics and explosions going on everywhere, BF3 looks mindblowingly stunning. Just imagine jets dogfighting overhead while infantry firefighting on the boulevard of Champs Elysees in Paris and cars blow up left and right and tanks are rolling through the chaos shelling houses with snipernests in them while you are sitting on the sidebench of Little Bird recon chopper buzzing by, flying low - taking in the scenery taking pot shots at tangos - at night with full dynamic lighting. Tracer bullets, muzzle flash, self lighted smoke from burning car wrecks. Metropolitan buildings crumbling down to nothing but rubble.

SHOCK & AWE SON!
    jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By jmfinamore
    @Seppli said:
    " @HarlequinRiot said:

btw. if you're actually serious, that's because of the much higher FOV (Field of View) of BF3. Console-optimized FOV is usually around 50-60 degrees (BF:BC 2 has a default FOV of 60 degrees I believe). This footage seems to be more like 70-80 degrees. Guess console versions of BF3 will feature all the meaty forearms and screen filling guns you want thanks to the more narrow FOV.  Likely getting both PC and PS3 versions, so I'll enjoy both meaty and skinny forearms alike. I'm indiscriminate in my fondness for BF forearms. "
    That's pretty interesting, thanks. I'm probably gonna end up with the PC version, so I guess I'll have to get used to it. Or download a meaty-arm mod (guaranteed to be made). I'm a man who likes his arms meaty.
    Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Cold_Wolven

I shall mark April 17th as the day to keep a look out for that 12 minute trailer because that'll be 12 minutes of my mind blown. Really hoping Battlefield will make it for this year's fall. 

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fucking awesome, but I'm still of the opinion that the character you play needs sleeves.  Is he a commando from a 1980s action movie?  At least have the sleeve visibly rolled up at the elbow.  Maybe they're working on extremely realistic sleeve tech and don't want to reveal anything until it's finished.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#40  Edited By butano

Man, the thing I love about the recent Battlefield games has been the sounds of each gun. The ones in the vid sound incredible!

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By CaptainCody

Oh no, I gave Kotaku a view...
    Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Arker101

I can't wait to see the reveal on the 17th. 
    I hope they show some jet action.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Arker101 said:
    " I can't wait to see the reveal on the 17th. I hope they show some jet action. "
    thatd be so fucking cool.... 
    EODTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By EODTech
    Hardgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#45  Edited By Hardgamer
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @Arker101 said:
    " I can't wait to see the reveal on the 17th. I hope they show some jet action. "
    thatd be so fucking cool....  "
    Can anyone please explain me, what do you mean by "Jet Action of the 17th."
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Hardgamer said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @Arker101 said:
    thatd be so fucking cool....  "
    Can anyone please explain me, what do you mean by "Jet Action of the 17th." "
    1. we're all awaiting Battlefield 3 so patiently and eagerly, our balls are dead blue
    2. Battlefield games are distinct from other shooters because they rely heavily on vehicle action (in their multiplayer. which is all Battlefield was - multiplayer.. until it was made for console and needed to do the same song and dance as COD and have a story)
    3. one of the leaked videos from the GDC of this year had a teaser ending that showed a shot from a fighter jet cockpit (and since all DICE have been showing is singleplayer, then that shot must be from the singleplayer.. a story campaign in a modern shooter that allows you to fly a FIGHTER JET ? during the STORY? mind=blown)

Hence the dude saying he cant wait to see the 12 minute gameplay video DICE are gracing us with on the 17th of this month, wishing there'd be some footage from a mission including the player flying a jet

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.