Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

November 22 2011 Patch details.

Eribuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 22

#1  Edited By Eribuster

From http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/news/view/2832654775415378344/

I think you need to log in in order to view the notes. I'll copy-&-paste for those who are not logged in.

-----

Major client update for the PC version Battlefield 3 as well as a server-side update for all platforms.

The update will be made on Nov. 22nd 7:00 AM UTC / Nov. 21st 11:00 PM PST.

We’ll share release timing on the console patches as soon as we are clear on the timing, these take a bit longer due to console certification process.

---- Client-Side Changes:

-- Visuals, Stability and Performance Fixes:

• General performance and loading time improvements

• “Black Screen” fix for an issue occurring on some PC Configurations

• Stereo and Rendering Support for Nvidia and AMD Graphics Cards

• Adjusted the “stuttering” encountered on some PC configurations.

• Fixed several Crashes when joining MP and Co-Op sessions

• Fixed multiple problems when using multiple monitors (Eyefinity / Surround).

• Fixed visual corruption issues on certain Nvidia Cards

• Improved loading times for certain textures

• Added console command “GameTime.MaxVariableFps” to limit max FPS

• Added console command “UI.DrawEnable” to hide UI for screenshots / videos

-- Balance and Gameplay Adjustments (PC)

• Fixed a problem with high speed mouse movement

• Added back some missing Growlers on Kharg Island Conquest Large

• Added back EOR sound for SQDM and TDM

• You should no longer be able to damage a friendly vehicle when sitting in an open position

• Grenades now drop to ground if you get killed while attempting to throw it(note the affect this will have on Hardcore mode!)

• Spawn protection now should work in Conquest. You should no longer spawn on points too close to enemies

• You should no longer spawn too close to enemies in TDM and SQDM

• Combat areas on Kharg Rush tweaked in order to disallow defenders to access the carrier ship after 1st base is taken and being able to enter the AA gun

• Fixed a problem with revived players not suffering suppression

• Fixed a problem with the camera when being revived in COOP

• Added joystick deadzone setting

• Fixed sound for when climbing ladders

• Fixed an issue with some weapon sounds in first person

• Fixed a swim sound loop error

• Increased the damage of Helicopter Miniguns, AA guns, and Jet Cannons against infantry

• Increased the damage of Helicopter Miniguns against jeeps.

• Reduced the physics impact of AA guns and Jet Cannons, players under attack from these weapons should no longer lose control.

• Increased the damage of the 44 Magnum slightly.

• Increased the range and minimum damage of the .357 Round from the MP412 Rex.

• Increased the range of all .45cal and 9mm weapons.

• Slightly increased the range of the P90 and MP7 and PDW-R.

• Slightly increased the range of the 5.56mm PDW-R and decreased the minimum damage at long range.

• Slightly increased the minimum range of the Mk11, SVD, and M39 EMR 7.62mm rifles.

• Decreased the maximum damage and maximum range of the G3 and SCAR-H 7.62mm weapons.

• Reduced the damage from FIM-92 and SA-18 IGLA missiles against aircraft.

• Increased the damage and range of the 40mm BUCK rounds.

• Reduced the damage .50cal weapons do against Helicopters.

• Updated T90 canister shell tweaks to match Abrams canister shells

UI Changes (PC)

• Added round duration and ticket summary at EOR

• Advanced squad polish – should be more intuitive

• Significant changes to the Join Squad functionality (see below)

• Fixed a problem regarding keybindings while playing

• You should now get a better error message when being disconnected via Battlelog

---- Server Update Highlights

• EOD Bot exploit fix

• Several crash fixes

• Anti-stat padding measures taken, disallowing ranked servers to run obscure settings

• Improved team kill kick configuration

• Support for unranked servers. Unranked servers do not report players' scores to Battlelog, but server administrators can freely control all settings

-- Share your profile and stats with new Battlelog functionality

• Ability to share your Profile and Stats pages to Facebook, Google+, and Twitter

• User Profile and Stats pages on Battlelog can now be accessed without being signed in to Battlelog if you know a user's URL

• Single sign on from Battlelog to Origin. If you're not logged in to Origin and join a game server, Battlelog will automatically sign you in to Origin in the background and join the game server

-- Quick notes on Squad changes in the Nov 22 update

• Removed FIND ME A SQUAD option

• Allow players to join empty Squads alone, thus having 1/4 squad members

• Change order of options to LEAVE SQUAD, INV A FRIEND, SWITCH TEAM

• Disable Privacy flag when 1 man squad

• Reset Privacy flag from Private to Public when squad drops to 1 player

• All occupied Squads will now show up colored blue on the Squad Selection screen

• Players who choose not to join squads will also show up as Blue in the "Not in a Squad” line

• Squads that are currently empty will display as white -- if you wish to join an empty Squad, you can choose the first one marked with white text

-- A detailed look at Squad refinements

A detailed look at Squad refinements

Today's PC client patch features numerous tweaks to Squad functionality and is part of our ongoing efforts to make it easier to play with friends and Platoon mates. These changes will also be implemented for consoles when we release the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 updates shortly. Stay tuned for the exact date of the console updates.

First, we need to look at how joining with Squads and Platoons affects the balance of teams. Initially, servers are commanded to equal out each side, so joining with friends can impact that balance while joining with Platoons further hinders this. As a result we have made some adjustments to the in-game Squad management screen.

For PC, you are now able to highlight the various Squads and select which one you wish to join by selecting a Squad and then clicking the Join Squad button. Please note that the Squad Privacy option still allows 2 man Squads which, during 64 player sessions, can lead to players with no squad position –- the number of people with no Squads will be shown at the bottom of the Squad selection list.

After the patch is applied to consoles (in the near future) you will be able to join Squads by cycling through the list and selecting which Squad you wish to join.

-----

Eager to see the squad refinements.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By mikemcn
    Slightly increased the range of the P90 and MP7 and PDW-R.

I love the MP7 with a burning passion, and now it's better, HOORAY!

Liber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Liber

Nothing about that HUGE FUCKING CHATBOX that takes 1/4 of the screen ?

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Ben_H

@Eribuster said:

• Decreased the maximum damage and maximum range of the SCAR-H 7.62mm weapons.

About damn time they did something. It's no fun when 50%+ of a server is engineers and all they do is spam rockets and outrange assault rifles with what is supposed to be a shorter range and less powerful gun.

MysteriousFawx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MysteriousFawx

The tactical light is getting nerfed this patch right? I don't see the note for it anywhere.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I haven't familiarized myself with the game well enough to know what those weaponry changes could mean, but overall that's an amazing list of fixes. 

Here's hoping DICE don't pull a DICE by releasing a "fixes" patch that breaks other aspects of the game.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7  Edited By Seppli

@MysteriousFawx said:

The tactical light is getting nerfed this patch right? I don't see the note for it anywhere.

Guess they let us 'marinate' in IRNV, Flashlights and Mortars a little longer. They'll do something to all of these things, I'm sure. I guess they don't want to overshoot.

@AhmadMetallic said:

I haven't familiarized myself with the game well enough to know what those weaponry changes could mean, but overall that's an amazing list of fixes. Here's hoping DICE don't pull a DICE by releasing a "fixes" patch that breaks other aspects of the game.

Choppers will be extremely fearsome, if they've got good gunners and air superiority. They already can be in the right hands. Really depending on how much damage a full burst out of the jet miniguns will do on the choppers. Since both have gotten upped DPS, it might balance each other out quite well. All the small arms stuff sounds good to me. Hoping the PDW-R stays amazing, despite the small nerf. It should, seeing how pistols and PDWs get a general buff. I especially wonder if the Magnum .44 is a twohit-kill upclose now (center mass). That's gonna be a lot of fun to play with, if so.

Personally - I'm hoping my loading times get a lot quicker. Currently I spawn just as a round begins or even a bit later, at least on the first round on a map. That's a huge disadvantage. Costs me like 200-600 points and I cannot call dibs on prime vehicles, nor is there any time for in-depth customization like tweaking camos and weapon for specfic map conditions. It's a total pain on 'one round on each map' servers, like the Giantbomb UK server. Maps aren't mirrored and fairly balanced in most cases anyways, so I find it non-sensical to do just one round on a map.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By mosdl

Grenades now drop to ground ifa you get killed while attempting to throw it(note the affect this will have on Hardcore mode!)

Yay! The engie nerfs will be interesting though.

JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By JerichoBlyth

I would have liked them to have added the ability to 'cook' grenades like you could in Bad Company 2 tbh.

Still all of this will do. I shall be playing tommorow!

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By FrankCanada97

Really hope this fixes my freeze crashing. AA guns get a damage boost against infantry? I don't know, I kill infantry pretty fast in mobile AA already.

Xyber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Xyber

@JerichoBlyth: You can cook them now. If you are throwing with G, just press and hold the left mouse button right after you've pressed G and it will stay in your hand. Or if you select grenades by pressing 5 (or is it 6?) you can cook them without any problems.

MysteriousFawx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MysteriousFawx

@Xyber: I had this discussion with friends whilst playing last night, you can prime grenades like you stated, but not cook them. They still have the same fuse timer. Cooking means to release the grenade after allowing the lever to activate, making it quicker to detonate. However currently the soldier will keep the lever down whilst holding the grenade, so you can't time it perfectly to explode in someones face. It also means you can start the round holding a grenade with the pin pulled and get to the other side of the map without fear of it ever going off.

vonFlampanker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By vonFlampanker

@Liber said:

Yeah that's a letdown if they don't address this. Not a developer, but how hard can it be to resize that thing or give a console command to disable it?

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

good thing they addressed the squad stuff ... that was really really really bad.

JoeMarsden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JoeMarsden

"Reduced the damage from FIM-92 and SA-18 IGLA missiles against aircraft."

YES.

Eribuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#16  Edited By Eribuster

484 MB of patch. Lets see how the updates play out.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By swoxx

@Liber said:

TRUTH

For PC, you are now able to highlight the various Squads and select which one you wish to join by selecting a Squad and then clicking the Join Squad button.

What? That's not new?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Battlelog/server patch completed. 

Now when I try to play, Battlelog tells me to install the game, which takes me to Origin which tells me to buy the game. 

cyraxible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By cyraxible
    @AhmadMetallic said:
    Battlelog/server patch completed.  Now when I try to play, Battlelog tells me to install the game, which takes me to Origin which tells me to buy the game. 
    Same here. 

I just bought the game. I just wanna play it dammit.
    YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By YoThatLimp

@AhmadMetallic said:

Battlelog/server patch completed. Now when I try to play, Battlelog tells me to install the game, which takes me to Origin which tells me to buy the game.

Quit origin and restart it. Did the trick for me.

cyraxible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cyraxible
    @YoThatLimp: Thanks. Sorta obvious now...
    YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By YoThatLimp

@cyraxible said:

I did the same thing, I wish they were better with patching this game. It isn't exactly obvious that a restart is required

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @YoThatLimp said:

@cyraxible said:

I did the same thing, I wish they were better with patching this game. It isn't exactly obvious that a restart is required

Yeah, thanks, I forgot that Origin is.. challenged.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By 137

@JerichoBlyth said:

I would have liked them to have added the ability to 'cook' grenades like you could in Bad Company 2 tbh.

Still all of this will do. I shall be playing tommorow!

I really don't understand. In bf2 there was no g = grenade throw. They picked that up from other games, back in the day you had to select the grenade to throw it, when you select the grenade in bf3 and hold the button down it cooks doesn't it? I know you're holding it for a duration.

Second people asking about weapons being nerfed and all that jazz, someone posted a link to a podcast with 2 of the main developers from the game on dontrevivemebro's website. They touched on why there isn't insta tweaks to things like tac lights, invr, etc, etc. Because when they want to patch something they want to patch it and be done with it and focus on something else.

They learned from previous mistakes and having to patch patches because a nerf made something unusable. I am extremely excited about the air vehicles cannons actually being more effective against infantry. So if I make a strafing run at people on the ground I'll actually kill someone.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#25  Edited By GS_Dan

That grenade thing really bugged me. Looking forward to flashlights being nerfed too.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mosdl

Game patch is out. Looks like ranked servers now must have 4 players to start a game (to avoid stat padding).

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mosdl

Update: taclight was not changed in this patch (source). I guess they are still working on it.

bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By bwmcmaste

@Eribuster: I like everything about this. Thanks for posting.

vonFlampanker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By vonFlampanker

I imagine when the Karkand expansion comes out we'll see the rest of the changes that have been rumored to be in the works. If I remember correctly the Vietnam patch for BC2 came with more fixes for the core game, and that one wasn't making changes to the engine like Karkand is.

Creative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Creative

Engineers AA was useless as is, and now they nerfed it even more. Skilled jet pilots and chopper pilots can avoid AA all day long and with new nerf they will be invincible. You need amazing squad/team effort to take down jet/chopper.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Funkydupe
    Please note that the Squad Privacy option still allows 2 man Squads which, during 64 player sessions, can lead to players with no squad position –- the number of people with no Squads will be shown at the bottom of the Squad selection list.

Players with no squad position, in a BF game?

Why the fuck are there a limited supply of Squads anyway? In Battlefield 2 we had the ability to create and name our own squad. Why can't we do that here? God damn it all to hell in tights with bratwursts in both hands.

Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By Evilmetal

Something to note here is that EA did not make available the change log to anybody. They made it available to customers of BF3. Sure people accessing Battlelog could then paste it elsewhere... but the thing I want to highlight is that why couldn't EA paste the few more lines of text to the Battlefield blog? disk space? bandwidth?   

So news sites were picking up this information and posting the partial change log, and they were linking to Battlelog as if everyone had a Battlelog account. This is EA hitting the subconscious mind in order to 'suggest' more and more that Battlefield is no longer a standard game, but rather a service.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Wuddel

Helicopters are a bit better now. Thats great. UMP got a bit better range. I love it.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mosdl

Yeah, engie AA is useless now, too weak.

However, you now don't autojoin squads it seems, which is stupid.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By tim_the_corsair
    @mosdl

This! Every game I played last night had 25 or so people not in squads (usually sitting one the same fucking hill sniping, but I digress...).

It is just dumb design, kill what little teamwork there was
    Sbaitso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Sbaitso

Nothing in there about it breaking my game. Can't play now because of a glitch when the game come up, no image comes, but my cursor changes to battlefield3 cursor and I have game audio. I can even spawn, yet all my screen shows is battlelog. Also, my load times have just about doubled.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jackel2072

Decreased the maximum damage and maximum range of the G3 and SCAR-H 7.62mm weapons.  

ok that one i dont get. I mean i use the gun all the time, but never felt it was over powered. and even in single shot the range was not as crazy as say the M16.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Tim_the_Corsair said:
    @mosdl

This! Every game I played last night had 25 or so people not in squads (usually sitting one the same fucking hill sniping, but I digress...). It is just dumb design, kill what little teamwork there was
    No, it gives more meaning to being in a squad. You have to start a squad, and people have to join it, manually. 
    That makes them pick the squad they want to be in based on the people in it. If you're a sniper, you join the snipers, if you want to run with the guy capping all the flags, you join his squad. 

Not to mention that it gives it much more personalization when you STARTED that squad, it's yours, you get to lock/unlock it and kick people from it. Same thing with being a member, you CHOSE to join that squad, why it and not another? You made the decision based on something, that makes it matter. 

Being lumped in with 3 random people is too automatic and meaningless.
    Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By tim_the_corsair
    @AhmadMetallic 100% agree with all that as an ideal.

In practice, however, it just means what I said: majority of people are too stupid to join squads, and it badly hurts the teamwork necessary to make matches enjoyable, especially when the opposition has a squad or two of clanners and your team can't even summon up the intelligence to be able to spawn on like-minded individuals on that comfy hill over there.
    Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jackel2072

sigh... the we fixed the issue with Nvidia cards translates to we broke it even more. game is now unplayable for me... 

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#41  Edited By BawlZINmotion

"Please note that the Squad Privacy option still allows 2 man Squads which, during 64 player sessions, can lead to players with no squad position"

Do they have a noob on the design team? Because this is the dumbest shit I've seen in awhile. Pre-patch you might not get in the squad you want, now you just might not get in a squad at all? How was it a good idea to change this? All they needed to do is increase the number of squads available or allow players to create their own. Problem solved. Instead they fuck a dumb idea even harder. Wow. The rest of what I read seems groovy.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Funkydupe

@Chainblast: You could end up without a squad pre-patch as well. That'd happen when enough squads of 2 or three members decided to lock their squad in a 64 player match. Its terrible that they've allowed this to still occur. BF is a team of squads versus another team of squads game. You miss out on spawn opportunities as well as tons of bonus points when not joining a squad.

You're right that the correct way to remedy this is to allow people to create more squads. BF2 had this, and even allowed custom names to squads making them easier for friends to locate in the list.

Its very interesting how they've managed to complicate the process of joining squads. They've removed the squad leader by default and it makes the squad leader role (indicated by a star) moot. There is only one purpose to the squad leader now and that's to press the interact button on flags for "Objective bonus" points. Its pretty weak that they haven't come up with more useful ways of interaction within squads.

Another thing. The ammo/medic interaction between players is totally destroyed.

Don't get me started on the knife killing. Ter-ri-ble.

This is Battlefield 3 we're talking about! Man how I wanted this game back playing BF2. It turns out they're fighting an uphill battle just to replicate Battlefield 2. They're even bringing in core maps of BF2! What the hell. This was supposed to be the next step in team versus team fps gaming, not just a huge patch with better graphics and physics.

If I traveled into the future to our present date with a mission to bring back a feature from BF3 to add to BF2 I would have came back with NOTHING.

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#43  Edited By BawlZINmotion

@Funkydupe said:

@Chainblast: You could end up without a squad pre-patch as well. That'd happen when enough squads of 2 or three members decided to lock their squad in a 64 player match. Its terrible that they've allowed this to still occur. BF is a team of squads versus another team of squads game. You miss out on spawn opportunities as well as tons of bonus points when not joining a squad.

You're right that the correct way to remedy this is to allow people to create more squads. BF2 had this, and even allowed custom names to squads making them easier for friends to locate in the list.

Its very interesting how they've managed to complicate the process of joining squads. They've removed the squad leader by default and it makes the squad leader role (indicated by a star) moot. There is only one purpose to the squad leader now and that's to press the interact button on flags for "Objective bonus" points. Its pretty weak that they haven't come up with more useful ways of interaction within squads.

Another thing. The ammo/medic interaction between players is totally destroyed.

Don't get me started on the knife killing. Ter-ri-ble.

This is Battlefield 3 we're talking about! Man how I wanted this game back playing BF2. It turns out they're fighting an uphill battle just to replicate Battlefield 2. They're even bringing in core maps of BF2! What the hell. This was supposed to be the next step in team versus team fps gaming, not just a huge patch with better graphics and physics.

If I traveled into the future to our present date with a mission to bring back a feature from BF3 to add to BF2 I would have came back with NOTHING.

Oh I didn't realize that and assumed by how the patch notes were worded this was a new addition. Either way I'm shocked and amazed how such a simple fix seems to be such a clusterfuck for a developer who has been doing it right for almost 10 years. The 3 pillars of a Battlefield squad system: squad leader, voice communication and squad creation. It existed in previous Battlefield games, it wasn't a problem, but it is missing from Battlefield 3 for some reason. It's like they're trying to compete with Call of Duty by actually removing features that make Battlefield different.

There are a lot of little nagging problems that can be solved so easily. Apparently DICE doesn't want to make changes too fast out of fright for breaking the game. Not sure how proper and past squad management is going to break the game, but whatever. I'm not a developer so I know jack.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.