Off Duty Gamers did an analysis of the "Fault Line" trailer

#1 Posted by Ocean_H (290 posts) -
#2 Edited by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

Hey cool they find the running to have weight. I wasn't too sure if it looked good or not but if they approve, I approve. 
Hell I just approve. I've only seen 10 minutes worth of gameplay and I JUST WANT THIS GOD DAMNED GAME ALREADY! I'M UP!

#3 Posted by jakob187 (21642 posts) -

I love their breakdowns.  Not only does it make you realize how much DICE cares about this kind of shit, but it also shows that there are guys out there with a passion for this franchise.

#4 Posted by MisterMouse (3540 posts) -

some really cool commentary in there actually, Great break downs.

#5 Edited by SomeJerk (3138 posts) -

Not bad for.. what did they say? Alpha? Daaaamnn..

e: And you know they're going to read the feedback to this and work on it

#6 Posted by Video_Game_King (35985 posts) -

I can see where this is going:

:P
#7 Posted by martellus (104 posts) -

As much as I want this game, I kinda wish that they had shown some of the "big battle" stuff, like in BF2.  Also, I know this is a dumb concern, but the whole tectonic plates thing, A) makes me think of fracture, and B) seems like it might turn into a game play mechanic, which would be fine, as long as its only a minor one.  I wanna see the game stand on the merits of its combat.  not its terrain deformation.

#8 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

good stuff

#9 Posted by EODTech (83 posts) -

Glad to see you guys hitting up Off Duty Gamers.  It's a small site but has a fanatical and slowly growing group of members.  I particularly like that they only take applications from combat vets.

#10 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4592 posts) -
@EODTech said:
" Glad to see you guys hitting up Off Duty Gamers.  It's a small site but has a fanatical and slowly growing group of members.  I particularly like that they only take applications from combat vets. "
applicants to post on the site or general membership like forum posting?
#11 Posted by EODTech (83 posts) -
@KingWilly said:
" @EODTech said:
" Glad to see you guys hitting up Off Duty Gamers.  It's a small site but has a fanatical and slowly growing group of members.  I particularly like that they only take applications from combat vets. "
applicants to post on the site or general membership like forum posting? "
I meant staff.  Sorry.  Membership open to all.  Even Marines.
#12 Edited by Mikemcn (6955 posts) -

Very cool, I was wondering if the fault line thing was true or not, and now that I think about it, I don't think i've sever seen a First person shooter where the M4 reloads realistically like that, interesting. (Maybe counterstrike does?) 

Edit: Nope. 

#13 Posted by DTKT (115 posts) -

It's amazing to have such a "direct" opinion from someone who has actual military experience. 

I'll bookmark Off-Duty and keep visiting it!

#14 Posted by EODTech (83 posts) -
@Mikemcn said:
" Very cool, I was wondering if the fault line thing was true or not, and now that I think about it, I don't think i've sever seen a First person shooter where the M4 reloads realistically like that, interesting. (Maybe counterstrike does?)  Edit: Nope.  "
This video is actually still slightly off...you don't need to yank back the charging handle every time you load another mag, you can just smack the bolt release.  It might result in more wear and tear on the carrier assembly but in the thick of things I really don't give a crap whether I'll have to get it replaced a month sooner.

In fact, I used to yank back the charging handle to chamber the first round and it ended up jamming almost every time....it's much easier to just lock it back, slam the mag in and smack the release.  It took me about a month in theater thinking my weapon was broken before I figured out what was going on.
#15 Posted by DTKT (115 posts) -
@EODTech said:
" @Mikemcn said:
" Very cool, I was wondering if the fault line thing was true or not, and now that I think about it, I don't think i've sever seen a First person shooter where the M4 reloads realistically like that, interesting. (Maybe counterstrike does?)  Edit: Nope.  "
This video is actually still slightly off...you don't need to yank back the charging handle every time you load another mag, you can just smack the bolt release.  It might result in more wear and tear on the carrier assembly but in the thick of things I really don't give a crap whether I'll have to get it replaced a month sooner.  In fact, I used to yank back the charging handle to chamber the first round and it ended up jamming almost every time....it's much easier to just lock it back, slam the mag in and smack the release.  It took me about a month in theater thinking my weapon was broken before I figured out what was going on. "
I have no experience whatsoever with guns (because I'm canadian :P ) but I have a somewhat unrelated question. What do you do with empty mags in the middle of a firefight. As I see it, you simply dont have the time to eject, put it back in it's pouch, take another one out and reload. Do you just drop them and if you can, you take them back?  

Simply curious.
#16 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@EODTech:  um, since you know your army stuff, could you explain something to me ? 

The different reload animations means the world for me, it made Frostbite 1/1.5 look dated out of the box, glad they have added it.    

Thats one of the comments on that video-breakdown article, and i have no idea what that means. he's responding to the part about the reloading : 

Time Line 00:02:01 – Change magazine animation – Pull Charging handle. Ammo count consistent with 30 round standard magazine. This is a big one, so few games take the time or energy to do this right.    

i dont understand what they're on about. what exactly is 'a big one' about this ?
#17 Edited by Ocean_H (290 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:

" @EODTech:  um, since you know your army stuff, could you explain something to me ? 

The different reload animations means the world for me, it made Frostbite 1/1.5 look dated out of the box, glad they have added it.    

Thats one of the comments on that video-breakdown article, and i have no idea what that means. he's responding to the part about the reloading : 

Time Line 00:02:01 – Change magazine animation – Pull Charging handle. Ammo count consistent with 30 round standard magazine. This is a big one, so few games take the time or energy to do this right.    

i dont understand what they're on about. what exactly is 'a big one' about this ? "
"Big one" as this is a "big deal" detail they got it right because most other games didn't got it right about mags having 30 rounds and reloading animation done "right" and in a variety. What follows in the sentence pretty much explains the first clause. I take English is not your main language?
#18 Edited by Giantstalker (1529 posts) -
@DTKT said:

" @EODTech said:

" @Mikemcn said:
This video is actually still slightly off...you don't need to yank back the charging handle every time you load another mag, you can just smack the bolt release.  It might result in more wear and tear on the carrier assembly but in the thick of things I really don't give a crap whether I'll have to get it replaced a month sooner.  In fact, I used to yank back the charging handle to chamber the first round and it ended up jamming almost every time....it's much easier to just lock it back, slam the mag in and smack the release.  It took me about a month in theater thinking my weapon was broken before I figured out what was going on. "
I have no experience whatsoever with guns (because I'm canadian :P ) but I have a somewhat unrelated question. What do you do with empty mags in the middle of a firefight. As I see it, you simply dont have the time to eject, put it back in it's pouch, take another one out and reload. Do you just drop them and if you can, you take them back?   Simply curious. "
If it's a low intensity firefight most people keep them, in a high intensity firefight (ie; we are leaving now) people would toss them and just get them replaced back at the fob. Experience varies from country to country, and even unit to unit, I can only say the Canadian perspective. We carried tons of spares in the fighting vehicles

I took this when I was bored, note the button on the left side of the reciever - that's the bolt catch/release, when the last round is fired the bolt in the rifle will lock back at the rear position. The bolt has to be manually released with the charging handle (we say cocking handle, lol) or with pressing the release on the side. When the bolt goes forward, it grabs the next bullet from the magazine and chambers it. Pull the trigger, the hammer hits the firing pin, etc.
#19 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Ocean_H said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:

" @EODTech:  um, since you know your army stuff, could you explain something to me ? 

i dont understand what they're on about. what exactly is 'a big one' about this ? "
"Big one" as this is a "big deal" detail they got it right because most other games didn't got it right about mags having 30 rounds and reloading animation done "right" and in a variety. What follows in the sentence pretty much explains the first clause. I take English is not your main language? "
... i didnt ask "what does big one mean". i said what is big about it ? 
i understand what "big one" means, and that it's about the game doing it right. my question: what IS the game doing right ?  that the mag has 30 rounds? how is that a "big one that requires time and energy" .. ? its just a bullet counter.

and what is it about the reload animation ? "different reload animations" ? what like it looks different each time he reloads? or that BF3's reload animations are different and new? im pretty sure they look standard to me.
#20 Posted by EODTech (83 posts) -
@DTKT said:

I have no experience whatsoever with guns (because I'm canadian :P ) but I have a somewhat unrelated question. What do you do with empty mags in the middle of a firefight. As I see it, you simply dont have the time to eject, put it back in it's pouch, take another one out and reload. Do you just drop them and if you can, you take them back?   Simply curious. "

Giantstalker has it right...if you've got time (just firing at a building for suppression, for example, not actually being shot back at) you're able to spend the extra couple seconds to replace the magazine back in its pouch.  If you're getting shot at and need to keep putting lead on target you simply hit the mag release, it drops out, and by the time it hits the ground you've got another one in the well and are ready to slap the bolt release.  It's part of marksmanship training, simply doing magazine drills over and over, sometimes for hours, without any live rounds.  I like to induce an extra layer of suck for my guys by randomly putting a spent casing in a mag during a stress shoot....it forces them to clear a jam in the middle of their firing iteration and lets me see if they get frustrated or calmly fix the problem and resume the engagement quickly.
#22 Edited by Nadafinga (957 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:

and what is it about the reload animation ? "different reload animations" ? what like it looks different each time he reloads? or that BF3's reload animations are different and new? im pretty sure they look standard to me. "

Watch the bullet counter and the associated reload animation. When the soldier fires his weapon and empties his clip, after he puts a new one in, he has to pull the charging handle to pop a round into the chamber before firing again. I think ODG was making the observation that other games don't always pay attention to this detail. Also, after the fire-fight when the soldier reloads his weapon again, he does it before the clip is empty. there's still a round in the chamber, so he doesn't have to pull the charging handle, and his ammo count correctly shows 31 instead of 30.
#23 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Nadafinga said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:

and what is it about the reload animation ? "different reload animations" ? what like it looks different each time he reloads? or that BF3's reload animations are different and new? im pretty sure they look standard to me. "

Watch the bullet counter and the associated reload animation. When the soldier fires his weapon and empties his clip, after he puts a new one in, he has to pull the charging handle to pop a round into the chamber before firing again. I think ODG was making the observation that other games don't always pay attention to this detail. Also, after the fire-fight when the soldier reloads his weapon again, he does it before the clip is empty. there's still a round in the chamber, so he doesn't have to pull the charging handle, and his ammo count correctly shows 31 instead of 30. "
ohh i see. sorry but i dont know jack about guns 
thanks for the clarification ! very interesting stuff

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.