Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

OK so this is how the SOFLAM works

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Wuddel

Sorry if this counts as YT spam. But we were discussing the other day on how the Javelin works and such. You can actually shoot choppers down with it. If they are laser designated. I'd like to try this out with the Jet guided missiles some tim.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Vodun

I've played recon for the sole reason of unlocking this. It's really fun but the actual points reward for sitting and locking on to dudes makes it a complete waste of time. Basically it only feels like a drop and forget item, and it's only really useful with a coordinated team which is aware of it being used.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Akrid

The SOFLAM is pretty useless. It's nearly impossible to get any hits in, even when I was playing with a friend dedicated to using the javelin. The problem was, even if I got a lock, you have to keep it until the rocket actually hits the target. So most of the time I lost it before the rocket actually hit if the pilot was at all competent.

Still fun to watch inexperienced pilots panic and immediately crash/bail out when I lock onto them though. I should get points for that!

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By tekmojo

Recon is my favorite class by far. More support than the support class, I was actually surprised that support was given Claymore AND C4 instead of Recon. But now that I look at it, I'd rather have all those cool gadgets instead. I just made a little youtube vid if you want to get pumped up for Recon. 

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5  Edited By Seppli

I done some SOFLAM recon work. Don't expect a pub team to capitalize on it though.

vonFlampanker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By vonFlampanker

I hope they keep this series of "know your unlocks" videos going. There are plenty of subtleties to the weapons and gadgets that aren't always easy to pick up on in day-to-day play.

Maybe I'm just dense, but it took me damn near 300 hours before I realized the radar ball in BFBC2 made a "ping" when an enemy stepped into its AOE. Always too intent on not getting shot, I guess.

Avatar image for thehuntsmen5434
    thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By thehuntsmen5434

Doesn't have enough range. And its way too obvious if you put it up high enough to spot a lot of things. Best way I've seen use of it is put it down somewhere where you KNOW tanks roll up on. That way you can have people javelin them through walls and behind cover. Also sucks that when you get the lock on with the SOFLAM, the javelin player needs to also lock. If the tank has Stealth, or 3 stealths then good luck getting a lock. SOFLAM is better as just another eye. set it in a blind spot, and go snipe. And occasionally check it.

Your wasting your time if you expect to take our Helis and Jets with it. Its hard enough to get a Air kill with a stinger missile because of flares.

IMO though a MAV / mortar combo works way better.

bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By bwmcmaste

@Wuddel: I think that two players with that much coordination would be wasting their time; this looks to be more effective in my mind:

LibertyForAll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LibertyForAll

Well that explains the strange red lights I see sometimes that dont seem to be lasers...
    Laser designators that give off obvious glow. Motion sensors and radar that make obvious sounds. I feel like in this game they went a bit overboard trying to manufacture drawbacks and 'counter-perk' perks.
    Can aircraft ir flare the javelin away? Maybe if the stinger wasn't so useless (tends to be effectively negated by ir flare and range/risk) people wouldn't be trying to use the javelin on aircraft.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By mikemcn

I got lucky and shot a javelin at a soflam'd Viper, the missile flew right past the flares and towards the Viper.... only to get close to the it and explode harmlessly in the air.

MysteriousFawx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MysteriousFawx

@bwmcmaste: Oh my DAYS....know what I'm doing tomorrow with my uni friends...people are going to rage their tits off

xdaknightx69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By xdaknightx69

@bwmcmaste said:

@Wuddel: I think that two players with that much coordination would be wasting their time; this looks to be more effective in my mind:

u cant do this anymore, they nerfed it. now the C4 will bounce of the MAV and fall on the ground

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.