Problem getting gamepad to work.

#1 Posted by pa21ris (150 posts) -

I have tried most the what would cause it not to work,

* I unplugged and replugged in the controller before heading into the server.

* I can not change key bindings while in options.

I am using windows 7 64bit. Any help would be great thanks.

#2 Posted by pa21ris (150 posts) -

It might help if I tell you I am using a Xbox 360 wired controller. I can use the game pad just fine in other games. Such as Rage works fine and so did Just Cause 2. Please help if you can, while listening to the Bombcast it seemed that ryan was able to get to work for him. I wonder what I am doing wrong.

#3 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Make sure it's the Preferred Device selected from the Advanced button inside the Game Controllers section of the control panel. BF3 only uses the pad that's chosen in that menu. And check the Properties while you're there to make sure it's functioning properly within Windows just in case.

#4 Posted by pa21ris (150 posts) -

@MrKlorox: Thanks I will try that when I get home.

#5 Posted by pa21ris (150 posts) -

I figured out what I was doing wrong. All I did was plugin the controller and play, thinking that would work just fine (which it does for most games). But when I looked around alittle I noticed that their is actual drivers that I was missing. I had to go to Microsofts website and download the Xbox 360 accessory software. From there I can configure the controller and since then I have not had any problems using the controller in Battlefield 3.

So if their is anyone else out there with this same problems I am having make sure you have this program installed (http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/xbox-360-controller-for-windows#support).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.