PSN players, a call for camaraderie

#1 Edited by nailerr (198 posts) -

If only Sony put their headset in the box we would probably have a level playing field as they do on the 360, alas, this is not the case. So for those with no/bad headsets please consider the following when playing online:

1: Objective above kill count. Except in Deathmatch. - When you see a charge that needs disarming, try to do it. Please, do not just wait around the objective hoping to take out the enemy. Help the team, take a chance.

2: Spot the enemy! - When you see anyone who is not a direct threat to you just slide the thumb over to the select button and spot them for the team. Even if you go down, at least we will know who you saw on our minimaps.

3: Revive those who fell near you if you can. - When a player goes down in a team game the respawn costs a ticket, and that is one ticket closer to team loss. Pull out those paddles and charge in! Revive! If you revive two team members but die yourself then you saved your team one ticket in the process. Be like a real military medic, be mad.

The one thing I miss from XBox Live is that everyone had a headset. I have the PS3 one and it is a fantastic device, superb noise cancelation. But so few people have them..

#2 Posted by sf2733 (44 posts) -

A noble pursuit, but if call of duty has taught us anything, its that most people such as myself just want to run around merking fools.

#3 Posted by nohthink (1223 posts) -

I have a headset... -_-

#4 Posted by nailerr (198 posts) -

@sf2733: I cant blame you, it just sometimes irks me that people opt to play objective based modes, then do not objectify!

#5 Posted by nailerr (198 posts) -

@nohthink: Euro servers? Because goddamn, I wish I heard someone talking English in one of my games!

#6 Posted by Xeiphyer (5602 posts) -

A lot of people do have headsets, but most people don't like talking to strangers. That's just how it is on NA servers.

I'd suggest you just find some friends and play together, its a lot better that way. Hell, you could probably change this thread into looking for some GB dudes with headsets to get a squad going. You might want to check out the PS3 platoon if you haven't already.

#7 Posted by nailerr (198 posts) -

@Xeiphyer: Will do, thanks.

#8 Edited by jayjonesjunior (1087 posts) -

@nailerr said:

The one thing I miss from XBox Live is that everyone had a headset.

That can't be true.

btw, how are you finding the 12on12 conquest games? is 24 players enough?

#9 Posted by nailerr (198 posts) -

@jayjonesjunior: Which bit can't be true? 360 comes with wired headsets, and I miss the communication (muting the dimwits was not too much of an issue either). Makes these sorts of games so much more tactical. I was a regular Rainbow Six Vegas player on Live..

12x2 is fine for me. The maps are pretty huge but there rarely seems to be a lack of action. I can't imagine why it seems to work given the design for 64 players on PC, but as I say it'd been pretty hectic as it is.

I do wonder why 24 though. Other games have had higher counts on consoles, notably MAG which in the beta 128 to 256 players worked pretty well.

#10 Posted by jayjonesjunior (1087 posts) -

@nailerr: the 12 year old part / it seems they scaled down the maps, have you tried the jets, isn't the map too small that you are always leaving the combat area? or you can't fly straight for more than 5 seconds?

i really want to play this game but i don't wanna get the short end of the stick.

#11 Posted by nailerr (198 posts) -

@jayjonesjunior: Not a fan of flight (in games) so I've bailed out of a jet as soon as I accidentally got in one. Crashed one helicopter sideways though.

I do see them off in the distance a lot, occasionally swooping in to lay down some support. I think the concession is they move unusually slow? Seems to have not put off many people so far - but there is every chance console players never knew better on this franchise.

#12 Posted by MuftyRiots (86 posts) -

If only the VOIP was functional on the PS3 then it would be better. Even when playing in a squad of friends that all have mics it's almost impossible for anyone to call anything out without the chat breaking up, stuttering and cutting out making it just pointless and incredibly frustrating. I think that there are quite a lot that do have mics but if they're anything like me won't bother switching them on for BF3 until the game has been patched.

@jayjonesjunior: The out of bounds for jets and choppers is vastly larger than that for the ground troops so you can fly quite far out before getting the turn back warning.

#13 Posted by nailerr (198 posts) -

Hm, that's unfortunate. Played some Uncharted 2 co-op recently directly after Portal 2 and it was stunning how bad the voice was in U2 vs PS3 to PC Steam.

#14 Posted by bwmcmaste (838 posts) -

@MuftyRiots said:

If only the VOIP was functional on the PS3 then it would be better. Even when playing in a squad of friends that all have mics it's almost impossible for anyone to call anything out without the chat breaking up, stuttering and cutting out making it just pointless and incredibly frustrating.

I feel your pain. I was on one of the Battlefield support forums the other day and there was a litany of people complaining about the same issue. I just don't understand how a feature that has worked perfectly in every other game - including two of the titles preceding BF3 - can simply not function in BF3. I can't help but jump to the irrational conclusion that someone has spent time actually breaking parts of this game.

#15 Posted by CaptRocketblaze (173 posts) -

I played with a friend on Tuesday night and the VOIP was much better. I actually bought MW3 to try because BF3 was so rough at the start, but it seems much more stable in all facets. If anybody is looking for a BF3 PS3 Platoon, I just created one to recruit objective oriented players (the name is a reference to the movie Platoon): http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/platoon/2832655391421450057/

#16 Edited by Ocean_H (290 posts) -

Ironic, considering there's more complaints about less teamwork in BF3 on XBL than on PSN when you go through the official Battlefield forums. You also notice that in ps3trophies.org VS xbox360achievements.org forums.

#17 Posted by NEOnuts (52 posts) -

hello, kinda late for the party but i have a headset and i specialize in Recon class. My PSN is NEOnuts add me, i would love to play with a GB platoon haha

Good luck, have batman

#18 Posted by Punk1984 (549 posts) -
@Xeiphyer said:
A lot of people do have headsets, but most people don't like talking to strangers. That's just how it is on NA servers.

I'd suggest you just find some friends and play together, its a lot better that way. Hell, you could probably change this thread into looking for some GB dudes with headsets to get a squad going. You might want to check out the PS3 platoon if you haven't already.
I have a good headset but I don't like talking to strangers or when people are rude so I'll just turn the headset on and lay it down on my coffee table.
#19 Posted by toby616 (11 posts) -

im not a big fan of using headsets with strangers either. it always seems to add more confusion to the situation than anything else. could be because i never hear anyone clearly, but i dont think that with a team or squad of teamwork and objective oriented players headsets are necessary. i have played many hours of many games since counterstrike without using a headset and never felt the need to use one.

i miss pc gaming because of dedicated servers for reasons like this. voice chat is nearly intolerable when you have no choice of a server or who is on it. i play games to relax and have fun, not hear some idiot child yell obscenities into the mic.

#20 Posted by Shakezula84 (443 posts) -
@nailerr

@jayjonesjunior: Which bit can't be true? 360 comes with wired headsets, and I miss the communication (muting the dimwits was not too much of an issue either). Makes these sorts of games so much more tactical. I was a regular Rainbow Six Vegas player on Live..

12x2 is fine for me. The maps are pretty huge but there rarely seems to be a lack of action. I can't imagine why it seems to work given the design for 64 players on PC, but as I say it'd been pretty hectic as it is.

I do wonder why 24 though. Other games have had higher counts on consoles, notably MAG which in the beta 128 to 256 players worked pretty well.

My understanding for the lack of 64 players (or even 32) is a Microsoft restriction. They wont allow games to have high player counts because it exceeds how much data xbox live will allow to be passed around between players. Microsoft just doesn't want the servers on their end overloaded.

Sony has no such restriction since games need to provide their own servers. That's why PSN is free.
#21 Posted by nailerr (198 posts) -

@Shakezula84: Perhaps, but if the limit can be as the developer desires on PC, it could be on PS3 too. Let the XBox restriction limit the XBox players, if you see what I mean.

I do not wish for anyone to be short changed, but I do not appreciate restrictions from a system I no longer use!

#22 Posted by Shakezula84 (443 posts) -
@nailerr Microsoft also has content restrictions. If BF3 had 64 players on PS3 then Microsoft wouldn't have certified a 360 version, cutting out probably half of their sales.

What I really want, and im willing to pay, is DLC on PS3 that adds 64 player matches. Should have come with it yes, but if its the only way to do it, ill take it.
#23 Posted by Spoonman671 (4604 posts) -

It's cute that you think the lack of headsets have anything to do with those behaviors.

#24 Posted by GeneralMojo_786 (219 posts) -

is there a clan i can join for BF3 PS3? also yes i think the main thing for me is to SPOT SPOT SPOT YOUR ENEMYS, especially for those who are in jets, spot tanks and infantry so they can see from the skys

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.