Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Rent a Server Service for Consoles

kgb0515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kgb0515

Nobody has commented on this? I thought this would be huge, unless I'm one of the only people still playing this game. Aside from that, has anyone tried this out? I downloaded the update yesterday, but I haven't played around with the feature yet.

johnzimmerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By johnzimmerman

my buddy rents a server for 360. he's gettingt he hang of it, but we're havin a blast. it's just me and my friends but if you wanna play let me know.

kgb0515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By kgb0515

The biggest downside to this is that there are barely any normal servers left to play on. I'm not a hater of fun or anything, but I played last night and wasn't able to play a single DICE run server with normal limits or rules. There was a Rush match that I played last night where the attacking team had 325 spawn tickets, but anti air missles were disabled and the opposing team was spawn raping the attacker deployment with little bird helicopters. One pilot had 267 kills and one death with 63,000 points. Similar shenanigans were found on most other sites.

kgb0515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kgb0515

I also took issue with the fact that looking for a game type specific map rotation is now extremely difficult. Picking rush or conquest in the quick match menu still puts you on rented servers that might have an alternating map or game type rotation, thereby forcing you to find a new servers after each match if you don't want to switch game modes. I suppose one could rent his/her own server to avoid these issues, but I don't really want to have to pony up the dough every time I want to play the game with the rules the way I like them.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By GS_Dan

Do consoles have a server browser or is it quick match only?

Avatar image for deathmachine117
    Deathmachine117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Deathmachine117

@GS_Dan: Yeah it has a server browser though I dont think it lets you filter through rented or Dice owned servers at the moment. So you get a lot of "MLGxxProPl4yersNLY" titled servers.

kgb0515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kgb0515

Yeah, no filter for rented vs Dice run servers yet. I found maybe 4 or 5 normal servers in a 4 hour run last night, but they were all full. Bummer.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Three0neFive

I can't stand console shooters, but this is definitely a step in the right direction - now if only Microsoft (and Sony, to a somewhat lesser extent) would stop limiting progress with their Apple-esque walled-garden approach to online infrastructure, I might be able to take them seriously.

vivek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By vivek

@kgb0515: I'm playing on PS3 and with these customer server I am having a blast. People have made 24/7 map servers which are great if you want to work on skill sets which suit that map. I dont know about getting one myself but they are refreshing, interesting ad a step in the right direction.

kgb0515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kgb0515

I agree that DICE is going the right way with this, but I would have liked more filter options so I can still play on regular servers instead of being thrown into servers with random rules through quick match. I know you can pick servers through the browser, but picking through each server's rules to find one I like takes time I don't want to waste to get into a quick game. Hopefully this will get fixed.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Akrid

@kgb0515 said:

but anti air missles were disabled

Disabled in what way? Could you not pick AA from the loadout at all or did you get auto-killed when you killed with it?

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Canteu

Just search DICE in the search field.

Also, you can't disable weapons on ranked matches. So just play ranked servers instead.

You simply cannot use them, they are not in the loadout options when disabled.

kgb0515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kgb0515

You could pick AA from the loadout, but could not lock on to any aircraft. Stingers were effectively nullified. The lock on indicator would not even come up when pointing at a heli at any range.

Redsox44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Redsox44

I was wondering why my match was going on for so long. I guess it'll be easier to rank up now.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#15  Edited By GS_Dan
    @Deathmachine117

@GS_Dan: Yeah it has a server browser though I dont think it lets you filter through rented or Dice owned servers at the moment. So you get a lot of "MLGxxProPl4yersNLY" titled servers.

I'm guessing those are the servers which the really good players are on
    damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By damnboyadvance

I'm glad they finally let people rent servers. People have certainly set up their servers to make for interesting, and usually fun matches. But the normal servers are harder to find now. The DICE servers seem to have disappeared, and there are even fewer EA servers now.

Also, I was banned from some guy's server yesterday. Guess he couldn't handle ma skillz. Hopefully that won't happen too often.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By strainedeyes

Someone should make a GB server. I'd play on it.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#18  Edited By big_jon

@StrainedEyes said:

Someone should make a GB server. I'd play on it.

This

Avatar image for financingisfree
    financingisfree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By financingisfree

@big_jon: seconded

j3ffro919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By j3ffro919

I've got a server, no funny stuff as far as bans or restricting weapon types, I've been switching back and forth between Conquest and Rush, and all standard BF3 maps and B2K maps. The server is called Starburns. I'm a big fan of Community.

If any GB'ers would like VIP status (no server queue) shoot me a friend invite and I'll add you. My gamertag is the same as my user name here, J3ffro919

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By mosdl

@j3ffro919 said:

I've got a server, no funny stuff as far as bans or restricting weapon types, I've been switching back and forth between Conquest and Rush, and all standard BF3 maps and B2K maps. The server is called Starburns. I'm a big fan of Community.

If any GB'ers would like VIP status (no server queue) shoot me a friend invite and I'll add you. My gamertag is the same as my user name here, J3ffro919

Should probably state ps3 or 360 here :)

j3ffro919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By j3ffro919

@mosdl said:

@j3ffro919 said:

Should probably state ps3 or 360 here :)

Good call, I'm on Xbox.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.