So I got the early beta access and have been playing for a couple of hours with about 10 friends. After looking through the official forums there is mostly negativity and disappointment being posted about the game, and so I'd like to hear you guys' experience with it thus far.
So far the issues that people have seem to be:
1. The shooting feels off, somehow. People are calling it Medal of Honor 2.0. To me, it feels like you die to quickly and the game gives you poor, at best, feedback when you're being fired upon. Which makes the firefights become a matter of who sees who first, or constantly shooting players who do not see you, or vice versa. Reacting when being shot upon and quickly killing your attacker seems next to impossible as you die in 2-3 shots, not even considering how poor the game tells you that you're actually being shot upon. This is how it usually goes: You spawn, get a kill on some dude who was running not looking your way, then you see some small red clips on the side of the screen and hear some very faint shots hitting you and you fall to your side and die. Constantly. Over and over again. It honestly got boring after 30 minutes, because you do not get the feeling skill is giving you the kills.
2. The game launches through a facebook-y hub in your browser. Really, this isn't a huge deal to me, but having to launch Origin, your web-browser AND THEN start the game feels really unecessary and silly. If you want to change server you gotta quit the game and get back into the browser... I really just do not see the point of it.
3. You can't chose what squads you want to join. There is no squad list, you're just randomly placed in a squad with random people. Which leads to you usually not being in the squad your friend is in.
4. (Kind of a continuation of 3) The UI and menu system is just annoying in general. You can't access the menu when your soldier is dead, which it is a LOT of the time. And the whole menu system, picking a class and joining a squad - in short the entire UI - is a huge step down from Bad Company 2.
5. The chatbox is too small and has a font/color that is really hard to read. Feels like an afterthought. An easy fix, though.
6. The map you play is basically a bottleneck frag-fest with NO vehicles. I know, this is just a BETA and there is just this one map, but even the design of this map puzzles me. It has no battlefield spirit at all. It's a frag tunnel where you spawn and die quickly like you'd expect out of a COD game, which the COD franchise in all honesty does a lot better (because that's what it's main goal is). I really hope this is a test-only map and wont be in the final version of the game. If that was the case I'd be a lot more forgiving, because this map has absolutely nothing to do with battlefield. Battlefield is supposed to be about huge maps with different vehicles and many different tactics and ways to win. Not getting bottlenecked into a confusing spawn-die-spawn-die fest. If I want that type of gameplay, counter-strike or CoD got me covered and does it better.
So what I'm left with is the feeling that there is no good reason to play this over BC:2, where the gameplay and shooting isn't just a confusing bulletfest, or BF2 which has the full battlefield spirit. I will hold judgement until the full game is out, but this has been a huge letdown so far. I have about 10 friends who were all huge BF2 players, and we've been waiting for BF3 for such a long time, and it honestly feels like a confused game that badly wants to be Call of Duty, MoH and battlefield at the same time while trying to innovate by having this useless social-hub to launch the game from. I have an eerie feeling the end result will just be another generic shooter with none of the legendary battlefield series "feel" to it. I wouldn't expect to be bored after 30 minutes, and it wasn't just me. Infantry only battles on karkand in BF2 could be fun for countless hours, yet this managed to become boring before the first hour had passed.
So that's my impression of it so far. What do you guys think?