Sigh, there goes the EA pre-order mayhem ...

• 76 results
#51 Posted by DTKT (115 posts) -

What a dumb fuckin idea.

#52 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@DonPixel said:
@Ahmad_Metallic: No deny EA is putting good stuff out dude, But there are other major publishers putting good stuff as well and no one is even close to EA DLC frenzy..  Considering I can't play them all I might just stop buying EA.. I like to vote with my money. 

• Dead Space 1&2 
  • Mass Effect trilogy 
  • Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 
  • The Saboteur 
  • Battlefield franchise 
  • The best sports franchises 
  • Bulletstorm 
  • Mirror's Edge 
  • Dragon Age: Origins 
  • SSX 
  • Star Wars: The Old Republic 
  • Crysis  
  • Army of Two 
  • The Sims franchise 
  • Medal of Honor 

Hell, if i weren't such a Rockstar fanboy, i'd say EA is the greatest publisher around. I am willing to tolerate their minor bullshit when they're responsible for adopting some of the greatest games and franchises around

@laserbolts said:
I can't say I'm surprised after the whole map shit. Fuck EA.
@DTKT said:
What a dumb fuckin idea.
Demize99 just tweeted saying this is their way of thanking the fans who are interested and eager enough to pre-order. I guess it makes sense... some minor freebies/exclusives as a gesture to pre-orderers, not too bad.
#53 Posted by DTKT (115 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
@DTKT said:
What a dumb fuckin idea.
Demize99 just tweeted saying this is their way of thanking the fans who are interested and eager enough to pre-order. I guess it makes sense... some minor freebies/exclusives as a gesture to pre-orderers, not too bad.  

If they were re-skins of weapons, maybe I would hav ebeen down with it. Now, you will have 3-4 different packs with 3-4 exclusive weapons removed from the actual game. 

That's just not right.
#54 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@DTKT said:
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
@DTKT said:
What a dumb fuckin idea.
 If they were re-skins of weapons, maybe I would hav ebeen down with it. Now, you will have 3-4 different packs with 3-4 exclusive weapons removed from the actual game.  That's just not right.
from the first page of this thread : 

@Ahmad_Metallic said: 

Demize99 tweeted that the game will have no magnum ammo, no armor piercing ammo, no juggernaut, no armor or anything that increases damage for the shooter/decreases damage for the victim

• the magnum bullets presented here are only extra effective against metal surfaces and thin walls 
  • the exclusive guns aren't especially powerful, and will not unbalance the game (they're like the M1 exclusive for Battlefield veterans in BC2)
  • the sniper rifle suppressor is not a silencer, it has another purpose. a more minor one (blocking bullet trail or something)
  • the DAO-12, which is a beast of a weapon, will be an early access for pre-orderers, and NOT an exclusive (you can get it after playing for a while)

That doesn't sound too not-right :)
#55 Posted by DTKT (115 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:  

That doesnt change the fact that I'm locked out of up to 4 weapons. Or more, depending on the number of packs.
#56 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@DTKT said:
@Ahmad_Metallic said:   That doesnt change the fact that I'm locked out of up to 4 weapons. Or more, depending on the number of packs.
Agreed... but hey, if in this fucked up COD-ilized age of video games, DICE manage to pull off a nearly-true successor to Battlefield 2, man.. they can release all the fucking packs they want. (which i doubt is much.. come on dude, small price to pay.)
#57 Edited by Evilmetal (468 posts) -

"Hey... you know the Type88 you used in BC2? Well in BF3 you won't be able to use it unless you pre-order. We're good people."

#58 Posted by CarbChewer (8 posts) -

"Day 1 Access"

as in: You pre-ordered it, so you dont have to go through the ranks to get the gun, you'll just get it.

They did that with Bad Company 2 with certain unlocks as well. As for the T88, whatever.

#59 Posted by Wuddel (2077 posts) -

Probably not of much interest here, but Amazon.de (Germany) is also getting the package. No word on Amazon.co.uk. A.de is charging incredible 70 EUR for the console version (60 EUR for PC). That's 62 GBP or 102 US-$.....

#60 Posted by JP_Russell (1171 posts) -

Oooh, I loved the DAO-12 in BF2.  Glad to see it'll be unlockable in BF3, as well.

#61 Posted by emergency (1193 posts) -

People hating need to realise that if you where in charge of the promotion of this product, you damn well would make sure there is incentive to pre-order it. One cheap, easy way to make that happen is with early access, and exclusive such as these. I'm sure they'll be balanced and have minimal impact.

#62 Posted by 137 (481 posts) -

@CandiBunni said:

What do you get?

A big ass image attachment that doesn't fit on the forums?

#63 Posted by CandiBunni (465 posts) -
@137 said:

@CandiBunni said:

What do you get?

A big ass image attachment that doesn't fit on the forums?

Cool! Just what I always wanted.
#64 Posted by GoofyGoober (937 posts) -

That shotgun looks badass

#65 Posted by Phantom_Crash (298 posts) -

Price hike for Aussies again.

#66 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -

Dude, the Type 88 has always been one of the lesser lmgs. M249 ftw!

#67 Posted by TheKeyboardDemon (824 posts) -

I pre-ordered because it had a £10 discount on the Game website and if I change my mind before it is despatched then it won't cost me a bean, on the other hand if the price drops I will get charged the lower price and if it goes up I will still pay the currently reduced price. So it's all good and I'm happy.
#68 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1526 posts) -

I just read this stuff and its stupid.

I'm fine with early access as a preorder bonus, but exclusive weapons/ammo for a preorder that is not available everywhere is just dumb. I can tell already that within 2 month after release there will be a 2.49$ "DLC Pack" with this stuff. Dammit, E3 got me really excited about the game and yes, I will get it anyways but stuff like this still pissed me off.

#69 Edited by Scrumdidlyumptious (1640 posts) -

Who cares? It's not like weapons matter in Battlefield games. There will be those weapons that help newcomers, but other than that I don't see any reason to pre-order for mere weapons (especially for a Type 88). Just let EA take money from people who are willing to give it to them. It doesn't affect me anyway.

#70 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Just like the successful Battlefield: Bad Company boycott back in 2008 that made EA pull out the weapon exclusive DLC, people are trying to do the same now with BF3

#71 Posted by solidlife (877 posts) -

yay for balance 

#72 Posted by 137 (481 posts) -

@2HeadedNinja said:

I just read this stuff and its stupid.

I'm fine with early access as a preorder bonus, but exclusive weapons/ammo for a preorder that is not available everywhere is just dumb. I can tell already that within 2 month after release there will be a 2.49$ "DLC Pack" with this stuff. Dammit, E3 got me really excited about the game and yes, I will get it anyways but stuff like this still pissed me off.

I believe I had just read somewhere recently that the pre order bonuses are just that, a bonus. The items will be available to everyone once you unlock them at their appropriate time but this just allows you to have it sooner. It's not going to tilt the balance of gameplay at all. It's more of a thank you.

None of the weapons or fancy ammo in BF2 really made much of a difference to anyones game, you're comfortable with what you're comfortable with. Just like Bad Company 2 I never feel like I'm at some major advantage with having extra crap equipped and different rounds loaded into my gun. I just feel it makes it more efficient for what obstacles may lay in my path.

#73 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1526 posts) -

@137 said:

I believe I had just read somewhere recently that the pre order bonuses are just that, a bonus. The items will be available to everyone once you unlock them at their appropriate time but this just allows you to have it sooner.

That would have to be new Info though. Based on what I saw it said pretty expicit that the Shotgun is early access (which is fine) and the other stuff is exclusive content.

When it comes to "is this stuff killing the balance". I would argue that there is a huge difference in BC2 between some of the unlocks. And maybe these items are not overpowered or something, but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth that there is game relevant content I will never have access to.

Look at TF2: They have a crapton of weapons that can make a huge difference in the game and how you play any given class. But so far they were smart enough to give everyone access to that stuff by random drops, crafting or trading.

The stuff that you can get only by preordering/buying another game is pure cosmetic skins of regular weapons.

Thats a perfectly fine way of doing it. Just dont do preorder weapons that have actual gameplay stats no matter how small the difference to "regular" items is.

#74 Posted by PieGuy (313 posts) -
@emergency said:
People hating need to realise that if you where in charge of the promotion of this product, you damn well would make sure there is incentive to pre-order it. One cheap, easy way to make that happen is with early access, and exclusive such as these. I'm sure they'll be balanced and have minimal impact.
I don't mind incentives to pre-order, I'm against the fact I need to pre-order from a specific retailer or I am locked out of content. I'll be pre-ordering for Karkand but if I want these retailer specific items I may have to pay more than my preferred retailer and I will need to go through the hassle of signing up to a different site. So lots of emails advertising shit I don't need from that website, btw I live too far away from brick and mortar retailers so I will need to order online.
#75 Posted by emergency (1193 posts) -

@PieGuy said:

@emergency said:
I don't mind incentives to pre-order, I'm against the fact I need to pre-order from a specific retailer or I am locked out of content. I'll be pre-ordering for Karkand but if I want these retailer specific items I may have to pay more than my preferred retailer and I will need to go through the hassle of signing up to a different site. So lots of emails advertising shit I don't need from that website, btw I live too far away from brick and mortar retailers so I will need to order online.

I can symapthize with that situation. In the UK there is only really one option with who go with, and thats GAME.

#76 Edited by PieGuy (313 posts) -

Eurghhh GAME. So it won't even come on time, at least I have an account . . . 

Oh and they charge more than other retailers, perfect.

='(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.